Aarne Talvitie
Tyce Thompson
Topias Vilen
Reilly Walsh
Michael Vukojevic
Yegor Zaitsev
Fabian Zetterlund
Ripshot 43

As usual, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I was hoping to vote for Filip Bratt on the big signing day but I guess everyone loses out on that.

Add Vukojevic

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Went with Zetterlund as I think he's got a higher ceiling than Okhotiuk but I really like both of them. Okhotiuk to me will be a quality defenseman for this team sooner than later.

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Went with big Z as I think he might have a slightly higher ceiling as a middle 6 wing vs Okhotiuk who is probably a 4/5 D? Add Clarke.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I like Zetterlund here. I think he has some deceptive upside to turn into a Palmieri-type winger.

Not sure how much upside I see in Okhotiuk’s game offensively. He’s mobile and physical, but that can only get you so high in the lineup.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Is Zetterlund really still technically a prospect at D+6 going on 23 years this month?

Seems odd for someone that didn't take a NCAA path to be considered a prospect at this point.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Is Zetterlund really still technically a prospect at D+6 going on 23 years this month?

Seems odd for someone that didn't take a NCAA path to be considered a prospect at this point.

Yeah, Zetterlund's age was the reason I went with Okhotiuk in this poll.

Hopefully Zetterlund is just a late bloomer, but he didn't show a whole lot prior to last season (which was really good though).

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta

Going by the qualifications for rookie status, yes.

But it does seem weird that we are considering Zetterlund as a prospect and not Bahl. Rookie status is a bit arbitrary but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Going by the qualifications for rookie status, yes.

But it does seem weird that we are considering Zetterlund as a prospect and not Bahl. Rookie status is a bit arbitrary but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.
Didn't realize that - seems that Bahl should 100% be included in this poll.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Zetterlund ahead of Ok. Like both, see Zetterlund as more likely to carve out an NHL career with a higher ceiling.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
If you play 6 games twice, you're not a rookie anymore. He played 7 in 20-21 and 17 last year.
Yeah, certainly knocks him out of the Calder discussion and I get you need to have some structure to who to include/exclude in these polls, but I think 99%+ of Devils fans still view Bahl as a prospect and as such he should be included.

Then again, I'm not the one doing the work to put these polls together so it is what it is.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Yeah, certainly knocks him out of the Calder discussion and I get you need to have some structure to who to include/exclude in these polls, but I think 99%+ of Devils fans still view Bahl as a prospect and as such he should be included.

Then again, I'm not the one doing the work to put these polls together so it is what it is.
honestly, I think you can just give Bahl a tie at wherever Okohtiuk ends up. They fill a similar role long-term, reasonably similar pedigree, and I'm about as confident in one as the other to end up actually being a player. Maybe I would give a slight edge to Bahl but that's mostly just because it's funny to watch giant people play hockey.
I thought you were a rookie until you’ve played 25 games?
25 in one year, or 6 multiple times. No, I do not understand how those are equivalent.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

What would you suggest as the cutoff? I could change it next year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
What would you suggest as the cutoff? I could change it next year.
Honestly don't know, maybe just keep it as is but make the occasional exception when it's this close and the player would still be viewed as a prospect by a vast majority of the fan base.

For Bahl, he just turned 22 and is not an established NHL player by any means.

Regardless, I appreciate you doing this polls - always enjoy participating and seeing the discussion around them each summer.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Honestly don't know, maybe just keep it as is but make the occasional exception when it's this close and the player would still be viewed as a prospect by a vast majority of the fan base.

For Bahl, he just turned 22 and is not an established NHL player by any means.

Regardless, I appreciate you doing this polls - always enjoy participating and seeing the discussion around them each summer.
Sorry. I'm a computer guy. I don't take well to exceptions :)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Sorry. I'm a computer guy. I don't take well to exceptions :)
I think the way it's run currently is fine. For instance, if we counted Bahl, would we count Mercer? or maybe Boqvist would be a closer one. Either way, the only reason it's an issue this season is because of the juxtaposition of Zetterlund being older and more experienced than a lot of guys we don't consider prospects anymore, but he's on the list and Bahl isn't. Most years you won't have that issue.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think the way it's run currently is fine. For instance, if we counted Bahl, would we count Mercer? or maybe Boqvist would be a closer one. Either way, the only reason it's an issue this season is because of the juxtaposition of Zetterlund being older and more experienced than a lot of guys we don't consider prospects anymore, but he's on the list and Bahl isn't. Most years you won't have that issue.
Actually, there's questions every year.

I set the qualification to rookie status to put the blame on the NHL instead of myself :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad