Shakir Mukhamadullin
Simon Nemec
Nikita Okhotiuk
Akira Schmid
Chase Stillman
Tyce Thompson
Reilly Walsh
Fabian Zetterlund

As usual, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Moynihan, add Talvitie.

Think we're past the legitimate prospects and reaching.

Though the two KHL defensemen probably have potential, with the number of defensemen drafted after them it doesn't seem they'll get an opportunity.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Really cool to see so many prospects left that could conceivably be NHL players, even if they're long shots. Night and day from when Shero first got hired.

Reactions: Bleedred

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think we're pretty much at the end of the road for players you can call legit "prospects" at this point.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I think we're pretty much at the end of the road for players you can call legit "prospects" at this point.

I mean these are longer shots, but we can see the later picks in 2022 as at least intriguing. (I’m voting Josh Filmon as we speak, or write, or post, or whatever. You know what I mean.)

Pronman’s new Pipeline ranking had Zakhar Bardakov at #13 out of 14. That’s out of players under 23, not just prospects, 8 of them haven’t played in the NHL yet.

The Honorable Mentions (“Has a Chance to Play”) had 10 players:

Guys still getting on voting on:
Ethan Edwards
Josh Filmon
Patrick Moynihan
Daniil Orlov
Samu Salminen
Michael Vukojevic

Guys not nominated yet:
Daniil Misyul

Scott Wheeler’s prospect list came out on Feb 7, 2022, so he obviously didn’t include 2022 draftees. It goes up to 20.
10. Samu Salminen
16. Patrick Moynihan
18. Ethan Edwards
19. Aarne Talvitie
20. Topias Vilén

HM: Jacob Malek, Jaromir Pytlik, Benjamin Baumgartner, Daniil Misyul & Nikola Pasic

Edwards, Salminen and Moynihan are on both lists and getting votes here, as is Malek.

Vilén should be on ours, he’s signed.

Talvitie production isn’t much, he could progress into bottom six two-way forward. He can be seen as fringy tho, I get it.

Misyul is a bit disappointing considering how young he was when he started to play in the KHL but I get why he made both lists and he deserves to hang on still at 21. His size and skating are pluses.

Pasic had tough season, he wasn’t productive at all on the lowest scoring team in the SHL before getting shipped off to the 2nd worst team in HockeyAllsvenskan. The good news is his wasn’t regulated, so that’s nice. His watch is about to end. Not seeing us signing him unless he really rallies.

Ok, Pytlik sucks.

I would put Dugan on our list but that’s me. (I do crazy shit like that all the time, I’m wild and fun.)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I mean these are longer shots, but we can see the later picks in 2022 as at least intriguing. (I’m voting Josh Filmon as we speak, or write, or post, or whatever. You know what I mean.)

Pronman’s new Pipeline ranking had Zakhar Bardakov at #13 out of 14. That’s out of players under 23, not just prospects, 8 of them haven’t played in the NHL yet.

The Honorable Mentions (“Has a Chance to Play”) had 10 players:

Guys still getting on voting on:
Ethan Edwards
Josh Filmon
Patrick Moynihan
Daniil Orlov
Samu Salminen
Michael Vukojevic

Guys not nominated yet:
Daniil Misyul

Scott Wheeler’s prospect list came out on Feb 7, 2022, so he obviously didn’t include 2022 draftees. It goes up to 20.
10. Samu Salminen
16. Patrick Moynihan
18. Ethan Edwards
19. Aarne Talvitie
20. Topias Vilén

HM: Jacob Malek, Jaromir Pytlik, Benjamin Baumgartner, Daniil Misyul & Nikola Pasic

Edwards, Salminen and Moynihan are on both lists and getting votes here, as is Malek.

Vilén should be on ours, he’s signed.
I mean, I don't really think guys in the "Has a Chance" tier are really intended by Pronman as legit prospects. Their likelihood isn't 0%, but you're not projecting them into the NHL. I agree that Bardakov is probably the most interesting out of the names remaining.

It's difficult to call any player a "legit prospect" if their max upside is basically the quality of a guy you can find on waivers. Like, I actually think Monyhihan can get in NHL games just based on his work ethic and willingness to play the style he needs to advance. But even if he makes it, at best, he's like a Riley Nash player which any team could sign at league minimum this offseason. Is that really a prospect worth mentioning?

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He could very well be, but it was difficult to follow his progress this past season, not much info or reports on him, so that's probably why he flies under the radar with many here.
Malek at least has NHL size for a goalie at 6'4". He played very well in a men's league at 19, albeit a low tier league. He was consistent all season and continued to play well in the playoffs. He at least suggests to me a potential path to the NHL if he can continue to play well. There are also a number of 2022 draft picks like Orlov and Barabosha and Filmon or Hauser that deserve the chance to show us what they are capable of as they mature. I'm sure that at least one will get on the radar. Where I struggle is with the undersized defenders or forwards who don't create significant offense. Spunky or not I'm having a hard time right now seeing Moynihan as an NHL player. He hasn't jumped out at me when I've watched Providence and his numbers are pretty pedestrian at his age. NJ didn't sign him at a point where most NCAA guys showing real potential are signed. We will see maybe he beats the odds.

Reactions: Lou is God

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Barabosha was 3rd round viable according to STI, and I value his expertise tons. He gets my vote yet again. Whether he ever comes over from Russia is anyone's guess, but the kid has potential. Plus his name is fun :)
No one to add at this point.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I mean, I don't really think guys in the "Has a Chance" tier are really intended by Pronman as legit prospects. Their likelihood isn't 0%, but you're not projecting them into the NHL. I agree that Bardakov is probably the most interesting out of the names remaining.

It's difficult to call any player a "legit prospect" if their max upside is basically the quality of a guy you can find on waivers. Like, I actually think Monyhihan can get in NHL games just based on his work ethic and willingness to play the style he needs to advance. But even if he makes it, at best, he's like a Riley Nash player which any team could sign at league minimum this offseason. Is that really a prospect worth mentioning?
To me? Yes? I get that other people might not care.

I find depth important.

These are the players that potentially make up our team in the future, since when are recently drafted players simply unimportant?

These will be the players we can call up during the season. These will be the only players we can afford under a tight cap.

Riley Nash, was one of better defensive forwards in the league for several years. Yes, he was on waivers once. In March 2022, at age 32, after playing over 600 regular season NHL games and after the light scoring was finally completely gone.

There are shitty bottom 6 players and good ones and very good ones, it behooves a team to get the best they can for both their NHL and AHL teams.

If Monynihan is a young Riley Nash on a ELC that’s great for us, not sure why you think there’s imaginary supply of UFA versions of these players. And if he’s in Utica then that’s depth we can call up in case of injury.

We have dodgy center depth down there, for example. That was a strength in 2019-20. If you don’t replenish your prospects then the depth goes away.

I’m waiting for the off-season to end before I evaluate how we did with depth, but not good is the answer so far.

Successful clubs, what we aren’t and what we should emulate, know how to develop depth in their system, often with free agent prospects too. When you start to compete, assets get scarcer. We need to get better at this.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
To me? Yes? I get that other people might not care.

I find depth important.

These are the players that potentially make up our team in the future, since when are recently drafted players simply unimportant?

These will be the players we can call up during the season. These will be the only players we can afford under a tight cap.

Riley Nash, was one of better defensive forwards in the league for several years. Yes, he was on waivers once. In March 2022, at age 32, after playing over 600 regular season NHL games and after the light scoring was finally completely gone.

There are shitty bottom 6 players and good ones and very good ones, it behooves a team to get the best they can for both their NHL and AHL teams.

If Monynihan is a young Riley Nash on a ELC that’s great for us, not sure why you think there’s imaginary supply of UFA versions of these players. And if he’s in Utica then that’s depth we can call up in case of injury.

We have dodgy center depth down there, for example. That was a strength in 2019-20. If you don’t replenish your prospects then the depth goes away.

I’m waiting for the off-season to end before I evaluate how we did with depth, but not good is the answer so far.

Successful clubs, what we aren’t and what we should emulate, know how to develop depth in their system, often with free agent prospects too. When you start to compete, assets get scarcer. We need to get better at this.
Statistically, they are not, considering most of them won't be regular NHLers.

I have no issue with ranking them. But unless the consensus on them is way off and they turn into middle-of-the-lineup players, they really aren't prospects of consequence. They're organizational depth.

No, there is not an unlimited supply of depth players in free agency, but there is an adequate supply. If a team wanted to build out a half-decent 4th line right now, you could go out and sign Nash, ZAR, and Rask for a combined $3M or less. No investment needed.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Malek at least has NHL size for a goalie at 6'4". He played very well in a men's league at 19, albeit a low tier league. He was consistent all season and continued to play well in the playoffs. He at least suggests to me a potential path to the NHL if he can continue to play well. There are also a number of 2022 draft picks like Orlov and Barabosha and Filmon or Hauser that deserve the chance to show us what they are capable of as they mature. I'm sure that at least one will get on the radar. Where I struggle is with the undersized defenders or forwards who don't create significant offense. Spunky or not I'm having a hard time right now seeing Moynihan as an NHL player. He hasn't jumped out at me when I've watched Providence and his numbers are pretty pedestrian at his age. NJ didn't sign him at a point where most NCAA guys showing real potential are signed. We will see maybe he beats the odds.
Don't misread my post as putting him down, I like him a lot and just speaking from experience on trying to follow him this past season, outside seeing his numbers and a couple highlights (like his puckhandling which seems to be top notch) very few scouts/analysts gave any kind of feedback on his play. Hopefully he'll get more attention and we get a better idea of what we have in him, I did think last October we might have a gem on our hands:

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Statistically, they are not, considering most of them won't be regular NHLers.

I have no issue with ranking them. But unless the consensus on them is way off and they turn into middle-of-the-lineup players, they really aren't prospects of consequence. They're organizational depth.

No, there is not an unlimited supply of depth players in free agency, but there is an adequate supply. If a team wanted to build out a half-decent 4th line right now, you could go out and sign Nash, ZAR, and Rask for a combined $3M or less. No investment needed.
Nash is cooked, so big no there, and I was a fan.

Not sure what Rask will make, not sure he’ll be super cheap but I can’t guess there.

I thought there were rumors that we were kicking the tires on ZAR.

And his best years are likely behind him. Those were when he was on a ELC and then first 2 year/1m deal for the Pens in his prime years.

Forwards aren’t better when they’re older and on the UFA market.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nash is cooked, so big no there, and I was a fan.

Not sure what Rask will make, not sure he’ll be super cheap but I can’t guess there.

I thought there were rumors that we were kicking the tires on ZAR.

And his best years are likely behind him. Those were when he was on a ELC and then first 2 year/1m deal for the Pens in his prime years.

Forwards aren’t better when they’re older and on the UFA market.
And a depth prospect won't necessarily be any better than those guys. They likely won't make the NHL at all.

My point is that if you're looking to fill out organizational depth (which is all you can project guys at this tier to be), you can also do that at any point in free agency or the waiver wire.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Still don’t know what to make of Dugan. It’s crazy to think one of Vegas’s best prospects won’t crack our top 20 (and that’s almost certainly cuz of our unfamiliarity more than his talent), but also his last season was clearly disappointing enough for Vegas to not bother making space for him.

I’d love to see a bounce back year, but at his age and on a deep team, it’s hard to imagine him getting enough NHL opportunity to drastically raise his stock.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Still don’t know what to make of Dugan. It’s crazy to think one of Vegas’s best prospects won’t crack our top 20 (and that’s almost certainly cuz of our unfamiliarity more than his talent), but also his last season was clearly disappointing enough for Vegas to not bother making space for him.

I’d love to see a bounce back year, but at his age and on a deep team, it’s hard to imagine him getting enough NHL opportunity to drastically raise his stock.
Yeah, I thought Dugan had a chance based on his college + AHL performances, but last season was a step back. He's 24 now too, so there's not much of a runway left.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Riley Nash has zero goals and 4 points in his last 50 games. 2 goals and 11 points in his last 80 something games over the last 3 years.

Without question there are guys on this list with more upside than that.

Seeing the recent ascension of a guy like Shara should have taught Devils fans that lower end prospects do at times pan out.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Orlov played on the very bad team and showed great results, was very positive on the ice, has close to the same or even better visible skills than Duda and better physics. Duda played on power house and they are not far away from each other in stats. Duda was drafted in the beginning of the second round.

If someone don’t watch or even don’t know the player, better to not make a judgement.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Riley Nash has zero goals and 4 points in his last 50 games. 2 goals and 11 points in his last 80 something games over the last 3 years.

Without question there are guys on this list with more upside than that.

Seeing the recent ascension of a guy like Shara should have taught Devils fans that lower end prospects do at times pan out.
This is exactly right. No one expects Salminen or Moynihan or Stillman to be high-end players. But there’s a not-insignificant chance that they’re quality 4th liners or even average 3rd liners. It’s beneficial to develop those guys through the draft, because you’ll always save money and assets compared to adding depth players through the free agency and trade.

And if you have a steady stream of those guys coming up in the system, it’s easier to let players walk if they ever reach a point where they command a bigger or longer contract. Gotta avoid those Derek Dorsett contracts at all costs.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
This is exactly right. No one expects Salminen or Moynihan or Stillman to be high-end players. But there’s a not-insignificant chance that they’re quality 4th liners or even average 3rd liners. It’s beneficial to develop those guys through the draft, because you’ll always save money and assets compared to adding depth players through the free agency and trade.

And if you have a steady stream of those guys coming up in the system, it’s easier to let players walk if they ever reach a point where they command a bigger or longer contract. Gotta avoid those Derek Dorsett contracts at all costs.
We have 2 guys drafted in the 5th round or lower in our top 6.

Graves was a 4th rounder still playing in the AHL at 23. He's now a legit top 4 d-man. Seig's came into this season as a 24 year old who we hoped could be a place holding 3rd pairing player. He's now locked up as a legit top 4 d-man. You just don't know when guys could blossom.

So I'm not even limiting the guys we have left on the list as merely average 3rd liners, or perhaps ok 3rd pairing guys.

I for one really like the Filmon's prospects, think he could blossom into something. Barabosha too. Maybe they won't but to limit the upside of guys currently on our list to the level of a shot out Riley Nash? Nah, we literally have a half dozen examples on the team that say there is no reason to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad