Shakir Mukhamadullin
Simon Nemec
Nikita Okhotiuk
Akira Schmid
Chase Stillman
Tyce Thompson
Reilly Walsh
Fabian Zetterlund

As usual, after selecting a player, request a player to be added to the next poll.

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I could see an argument for basically all of these players at this point. Voted Clarke but I could easily be swayed.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Just throwing darts, at this point. I’m intrigued by Salminen, who’s been a pretty good player in Finnish juniors while he waits to start college.

Honestly I think Jack Dugan’s a better prospect than everyone left on the list and should probably be around 10-12 in the ranking, so:

add Dugan

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Clarke. Add Talvitie.

Still don't see a chance that Schmid is ever a full-time NHL goalie and can't help recalling Clarke's roll for Team Canada as a U18 and with the Ottawa 67s before he was injured.

Generally takes a couple of seasons to fully recover.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
After calling to add Barabosha several times, I chose him. Add Dugan I guess. I know nothing about him though.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I could see an argument for basically all of these players at this point. Voted Clarke but I could easily be swayed.
you could also make an argument for any of these players to never make it to the nhl. i honestly don't know enough about most of these players and the ones i know a little better are likely non nhl'er.

for a few rounds i vote now orlov, because what i heard and read about his skating makes him in my eyes the highest upside prospect left. i took him over walsh and schmid.

once orlov is voted in, i am fully on the ripshot 43 train.
(i can't make a better argument for orlov) ;)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I like that we vote for 16 place, but we still have prospects with nhl potential.
Which guys do you see as having NHL potential? I'm sort of struggling with it right now. The few guys left that I have seen I am not high on their potential but there are a bunch of new draftees left in the poll I have not watched at all (except Hauser and I need more viewings of him to get a read on him) and I don't watch KHL except the odd highlights that are shared. I tend to think Msyul could play in the NHL but I'm skeptical he ever comes over given how crowded it is in NJ on left defense.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think McCarthy could be an NHLer. Being a high top-half of the lineup NCAA player as a junior/senior is usually translatable to some kind of fringe NHL career.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Which guys do you see as having NHL potential? I'm sort of struggling with it right now. The few guys left that I have seen I am not high on their potential but there are a bunch of new draftees left in the poll I have not watched at all (except Hauser and I need more viewings of him to get a read on him) and I don't watch KHL except the odd highlights that are shared. I tend to think Msyul could play in the NHL but I'm skeptical he ever comes over given how crowded it is in NJ on left defense.
I think McCarthy has a shot, just probably not on our team. Clarke does too if he can stay healthy.

I'm personally still holding out some home for Vukojevic too.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Filmon, due to being so young and having recently had a growth spurt (I believe) that I believe has NHL potential.

I know what’s you’re thinking a 6th round pick with “ok” numbers isn’t exciting…and it’s not.

But if we are talking about NHL potential then I can see a path forward where he gets more used to his height and puts on weight and then people wonder why this 15-20 goal scorer dropped to the 6th round.

A lot of players have “potential” but who knows how they progress.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Filmon, due to being so young and having recently had a growth spurt (I believe) that I believe has NHL potential.

I know what’s you’re thinking a 6th round pick with “ok” numbers isn’t exciting…and it’s not.

But if we are talking about NHL potential then I can see a path forward where he gets more used to his height and puts on weight and then people wonder why this 15-20 goal scorer dropped to the 6th round.

A lot of players have “potential” but who knows how they progress.
I'm old enough that I try to watch the players to form my basic opinion on their tools and talent. Watching Hauser for instance, you can obviously see there is more to the player than what his draft position would lead you to believe. I'd like to get a few more viewings of him though. I prefer to watch the prospects against other top prospects since that is their potential pro peer group. I know some prefer to rely on statistical analysis and there is nothing wrong with that either. It's a guessing game for most players anyway. Even a lower first round pick is a tough projection.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm old enough that I try to watch the players to form my basic opinion on their tools and talent. Watching Hauser for instance, you can obviously see there is more to the player than what his draft position would lead you to believe. I'd like to get a few more viewings of him though. I prefer to watch the prospects against other top prospects since that is their potential pro peer group. I know some prefer to rely on statistical analysis and there is nothing wrong with that either. It's a guessing game for most players anyway. Even a lower first round pick is a tough projection.
I haven’t watched Filmon play in person, other than development camp and some videos but the physical growth thing is a reason to say a player may have been misvalued.

My main point is most players have NHL potential until they age out of it. Even if it’s unlikely, most guys have some level of NHL potential.

Heck, Xavier Parent has some NHL potential still, even if it’s low

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I haven’t watched Filmon play in person, other than development camp and some videos but the physical growth thing is a reason to say a player may have been misvalued.

My main point is most players have NHL potential until they age out of it. Even if it’s unlikely, most guys have some level of NHL potential.

I don’t disagree. I just struggle to form an opinion without a few watches. Going back a ways you could see from the WJSS that Talvitie could play with the best players in his age group right off the bat. It culminated in his stint as WJC first line captain on a gold medal winning team. If he didn’t hurt his knee I think his story would have played out much differently. He could have been a less dynamic somewhat differently skilled Coleman type of player. He’d have been a smart fearless penalty killer and I bet could have done a good job at even strength against bottom six competition. You could see that from watching his game develop. Zetterlund was different. He’d be quiet for a few shifts but two or three times a game he’d grab the puck along the boards and see an opening and just skate like a rocket to the other net. It was impressive but it was his only plus skill at that point. He wasn’t doing much in the run of play. Clearly he has developed his secondary game to contribute away from the puck. Holtz at that D+1 WJC was set up to fail to some extent. He was asked to stand in one place on thr PP and shoot one timers off bad passes from Siderstrom that were slow to arrive and in his feet. The goalie was st each time. Holtz could have done a better job adjusting his feet but Soderstrom looked annoyed having to pass to him to my eyes. It was painful to watch. Something was off with that team. It’s not like Raymond tore it up either. Just my hang up about how to watch prospects.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

I don’t disagree. I just struggle to form an opinion without a few watches. Going back a ways you could see from the WJSS that Talvitie could play with the best players in his age group right off the bat. It culminated in his stint as WJC first line captain on a gold medal winning team. If he didn’t hurt his knee I think his story would have played out much differently. He could have been a less dynamic somewhat differently skilled Coleman type of player. He’d have been a smart fearless penalty killer and I bet could have done a good job at even strength against bottom six competition. You could see that from watching his game develop. Zetterlund was different. He’d be quiet for a few shifts but two or three times a game he’d grab the puck along the boards and see an opening and just skate like a rocket to the other net. It was impressive but it was his only plus skill at that point. He wasn’t doing much in the run of play. Clearly he has developed his secondary game to contribute away from the puck. Holtz at that D+1 WJC was set up to fail to some extent. He was asked to stand in one place on thr PP and shoot one timers off bad passes from Siderstrom that were slow to arrive and in his feet. The goalie was st each time. Holtz could have done a better job adjusting his feet but Soderstrom looked annoyed having to pass to him to my eyes. It was painful to watch. Something was off with that team. It’s not like Raymond tore it up either. Just my hang up about how to watch prospects.

I went to the second half 3v3 tournament, and was a bit of mess from being late, but seeing guys live up close really did give a nice look at guys. I wish I made it to the whole thing.

Parent actually stood out, I’m thrilled we signed him because at worst Utica potentially get a really nice tweener.

I’m not typically negative but Pytlik did stick out in not a good way. Watching him maneuver in tighter spaces was like watching a cube make a k-turn.

I actually voted Filmon here but I could have gone a couple of ways.

Add Leddy.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I will track Misyul soon. And it would be really hard for him to win roster spot in our organization. Siegs, Hughes, Shaq, Okhotiuk/Bahl. May be devils will decide to ask him to travel after 3-4 years, but we can't bet on that now.
Like you do, I'm not ranking players I didn't watch. Only goalies. And I think Malek has nhl potential. At least for now he deserved to be named in that group.
I like Leddy. I think he has great tools for defensive prospect. He is my favorite defensive pick after Nemec this year.
I would prefer to see Bardakov in AHL/NHL context. People see low numbers, I saw games and understand role he played in SKA, guy is a role player with skills. If McLeod, Geersten, Hayden etc have NHL games in their resume, this guy absolutely can. I think Orlov has some real potential. I like Barabosha, but on my taste its too early to call him a player with real NHL potential, want to see him in vhl/khl or at least want to see more dominant positioning game in mhl.
Im not saying Salminen has NHL potential, but it is too early to cut him off. Vilen isn't bad prospect. He isn't flashy, but I think he is just good. I think he have potential to be 6-7 NHL defenseman. When I saw him, he just doing everything good. Not top 10 prospect, but Its good to have thus kind of prospect in your pool.
Would prefer to watch more Filmon, McCarthy and Hauser. What I saw, weren't bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad