Prospect Info: 2022 HFDevils Prospect Rankings #10 - Half way home!

Who is the Devils' #10 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He should have more votes. Shouldn’t have been a first round pick but he’s still a solid prospect and certainly a better actual prospect than a guy like Thompson. And I like Thompson and what he could bring to this roster.

But, I think these poll results sometimes show pretty flawed thinking towards guys who are older, more ready and have done well more recently. The younger guys with more potential get less votes than the older 23ish year old prospects from 5-6 years ago who are just now looking at competing for a bottom of the lineup roster spot.

Stillman is a way way better player than Thompson was at the same age and he has better potential. Thompson is a 23 year old on the edge of the roster. If he sticks he’s probably an okay 4th liner or 3rd liner if everything goes great. Stillman is still only 19 and has middle 6 potential. Stillman’s odds of becoming a full time NHL player and having an actual career are realistically much better than someone like Thompson’s.

Same with someone like Okhotiuk going over Casey although that is much closer and I can understand someone who isn’t that high on Casey putting Okhotiuk over him. But Casey no doubt has higher potential.
Casey certainly has more offensive potential then Ok. But Ok has more defensive ability.

I know people tend to associate “upside” with offensive ability but Ok is definitely going about things differently.

Stillman is interesting in that a first rounder is so far down the list but aside from where he was drafted there is not a ton there to suggest he should be high on the list.

Tyce by comparison had ppg in college at 20. And a ppg in the AHL at 22(granted small sample). Stillman may very well break out this season but until he does, he hasn’t.

Zetterlund would be another example of giving the older guy the nod over a younger guy but I think thats a pretty easy call at this point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He should have more votes. Shouldn’t have been a first round pick but he’s still a solid prospect and certainly a better actual prospect than a guy like Thompson. And I like Thompson and what he could bring to this roster.

But, I think these poll results sometimes show pretty flawed thinking towards guys who are older, more ready and have done well more recently. The younger guys with more potential get less votes than the older 23ish year old prospects from 5-6 years ago who are just now looking at competing for a bottom of the lineup roster spot.

Stillman is a way way better player than Thompson was at the same age and he has better potential. Thompson is a 23 year old on the edge of the roster. If he sticks he’s probably an okay 4th liner or 3rd liner if everything goes great. Stillman is still only 19 and has middle 6 potential. Stillman’s odds of becoming a full time NHL player and having an actual career are realistically much better than someone like Thompson’s.

Same with someone like Okhotiuk going over Casey although that is much closer and I can understand someone who isn’t that high on Casey putting Okhotiuk over him. But Casey no doubt has higher potential.
Draft year Thompson had 32 points in 60 USHL games. His draft +1 year which he was drafted as an overager he put up 25 points in 42 games as an 18 year old college freshman which is solid numbers. That alone is far far better than Stillman not even hitting a PPG in the OHL in his draft +1 year.

Stillman may have more upside in the long run because he’s far from a finished product. But he does not seem likely to hit that upside after this past year.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

When defenseman Casey will be to a mile closer to defensive abilities of Okhotyuk, we can return to this conversation. Especially when we talk about future of the team with Hughes, Nemec and Dougie.

Same with Stillman and Thompson. Thompson was a better shooter and better skater. Now he is much better way way better 200 foot player. And Stillman has questions about his hockey iq. I pray for a guy, because talent is there, but he is on the long road.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Went with Foote. Add Gionta.

Can’t really judge Thompson yet. I also think Foote deserves a little leeway for missed time and actually producing in his very brief NHL stints. And none of his points were that flukey. Most underrated prospect we have after Casey, I’d say. (Or a Stillman that proves everyone wrong.)

Reactions: Mgd31

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Agree about Stillman, though you short change Thompson. He was fairly dominant in college, something that suggests far more than the 3-4 line potential you suggest.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Going with Foote. I think he has a safer, more NHL-projectable game. Don't really know what to make of Tyce.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Still think Brennan has the highest potential out of all our goalie prospects.
If Central Scouting is to be trusted both he and Daws were the top rated North American goalies in their respective draft classes.
Can the Devils develop them properly?

The record with homegrown goalies since Brodeur has not been great.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Foote

His skating just sucks and the organization doesn't seem to view him very favorably, perhaps for that very reason.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I like Foote

His skating just sucks and the organization doesn't seem to view him very favorably, perhaps for that very reason.

He got a call up to NJ after he earned it, which was later in season, not sure I would read any negativity in the team’s feelings. He could end up traded but that’s true about most prospects.

His brother Cal has been in a pitched battle with skating for a while in Tampa and it looks like his lack of mobility has lowered his ceiling. He plays in the NHL though.

We have a number of younger brothers with Foote, with Stillman, Clarke and Thompson.

Tage had shoulder surgery too, in January 2020. Tyce was just copying his big bro!

Riley Stillman exists, is a person, and has played defense in the 108 NHL games. He was the #114 pick in the 4th round though, so getting those games is a success.

Edit: Invaluable editorial assistance provided by @TBF1972 , who keeps me honest because someone has to.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He got a call up to NJ after he earned it, which was later in season, not sure I would read any negativity in the team’s feelings. He could end up traded but that’s true about most prospects.

His brother Cal has been in a pitched battle with skating for a while in Tampa and it looks like his lack of mobility has lowered his ceiling. He plays in the NHL though.

We have a number of younger brothers with Foote, with Stillman, Clarke and Thompson.

Tage had shoulder surgery too, in January 2020. Tyce was just copying his big bro!

Riley Stillman exists, is a person, and has played defense in the 108 NHL games. He was the #114 pick in the 4th round though, so getting those games is a success.
Props for pitched battle with skating. Excellent metaphor.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
On the other hand we have the older Clarke brother. So for a guy, who can fill half pages of unknown facts, this is a double minor.
Lady who does that and my brain is fading with with age (and the heat ain’t helping). And “half pages”? Pshaw, I can waste more time than that.

Whoops, just threw his name in there but I was only discussing brothers in the NHL. Should have remembered that’s because Brandt is still in juniors.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Lady who does that and my brain is fading with with age (and the heat ain’t helping). And “half pages”? Pshaw, I can waste more time than that.

Whoops, just threw his name in there but I was only discussing brothers in the NHL. Should have remembered that’s because Brandt is still in juniors.
totally my fault then. some how the heat also impacts my reading capability.

• Haha
Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad