• Arber Xhekaj

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emil Heineman

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is Farrell really that good!? Better than Roy or Kidney!?
One thing's for sure: Farrell is about 2 years older than Roy.

So it would be expected that at this moment, Roy only being 18 and Farrell 20, Farrell would be better.

Reactions: Dutronc

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He needs to move a lot more quickly to get space and time at the next level. If he can do that then I'll adjust my projection.
He also needs to start shooting like its the NHL and to move the puck a lot quicker than the "receive, scan and move" he does.

Really though, I heard you talk about Robertson once and how you thought you misvalued him cause of his skating. Sounds a bit like Robertson, doesn't it? (I did too.)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Roy wins, then the top 5 will be in the exact order I also see them. That's a first!

Then the rest of my top 11 would be :

6- Mailloux
7- Primeau
8- Mesar
9- Hutson
10- Harris
11- Kidney

Then I see the next tier with Beck, Dobes, Xhekaj, Heineman and Norlinder.

And the next tier with Mysak, Ylonen, RHP, Rohrer, Struble, Biondi and Dichow.

Then it really drops, because the players remaining are very long term projects or because their potential is limited.

When you have Ylonen in the same tier as your 23rd best prospect, that's a good sign.

Though I have him in your Heineman tier. And, I have Fairbrother and Engstrom in the Struble tier.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
When you have Ylonen in the same tier as your 23rd best prospect, that's a good sign.

Though I have him in your Heineman tier. And, I have Fairbrother and Engstrom in the Struble tier.

I'm not super high on Ylonen anymore. Not productive enough to be on a top 6, but doesn't have the tools to be on a bottom 6. He's producing less than RHP at the same age and doesn't show up in important moments. And at least RHP can be an energy guy on the bottom 6, not Ylonen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mesar add Struble

I wouldn't put Hutson in our top ten. You keep spamming the thread with accusations of insanity for not having Hutson in the top 5 yet there are two players still in this poll who were just drafted 36 and 29 spots respectively, ahead of him by a scouting staff that is infinitely more knowledgeable than this collective voting group. How much further does Hutson fall if we don't take him? There is zero chance that Mesar or Beck fall anywhere close to 62 so I suppose you know more than every other NHL team's scouting staff as well?

If that doesn't outline how "insane" it is to so quickly overrate the 62nd pick of a draft that just happened then how about the fact that there were zero 5'8" dmen in the NHL last season and the only one that I even know to have played in the last 40 years is Joe Hicketts who has displayed the fact that he is too small to play in the NHL as a dman. Perhaps there may be others but likely just as obscure as Hicketts currently is.

All of this aside I was happy with the pick at 62 and am not hating on the kid but he is still something of a long shot. We are all hoping for a magical unicorn here although I think the real dice roll in picking him was hoping he hits a late growth spurt to sneak him into the realm of plausibility. The kid has great hands and a great mind although he needs to add more power to his stride as he could benefit from a little more acceleration to gain the separation that he will require. He is incredibly skinny so there is alot of work to be done there but his technique is sound so the power should come easily with added muscle.

If he hits a growth spurt I would rocket him up the rankings. To insist that he is currently a more valuable asset to this organization than far more projectable prospects who also have significant upside is more worthy of being labelled insane than viewing him as a lower percentage swing at upside that shoud be met with rempered expectations.

I am all in on cheering for the kid and I am also excited by the talent but you and others are doing a disservice to the depth and quality of this prospect pool by putting him much higher than he should be given his current size.

In fairness, my hunch was that Farrell was better than Tuch pretty soon after the draft ( I think it was after hearing reports and seeing tape of u.s. world junior summer training, when Tuch was cut early and Farrell one of the last cuts. Tuch had just been a 2nd rounder and Farrell a 4th.

Similarly, many predicted correctly that Roy would be one of our better prospects from our draft class that year.

Definitely the pros will get it right on the vast majority of picks. But any poster, including Grant McCagg can get any one player right. It's definitely possible Hutson turns out better than Beck and Mesar.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Mesar add Struble

I wouldn't put Hutson in our top ten. You keep spamming the thread with accusations of insanity for not having Hutson in the top 5 yet there are two players still in this poll who were just drafted 36 and 29 spots respectively, ahead of him by a scouting staff that is infinitely more knowledgeable than this collective voting group. How much further does Hutson fall if we don't take him? There is zero chance that Mesar or Beck fall anywhere close to 62 so I suppose you know more than every other NHL team's scouting staff as well?

If that doesn't outline how "insane" it is to so quickly overrate the 62nd pick of a draft that just happened then how about the fact that there were zero 5'8" dmen in the NHL last season and the only one that I even know to have played in the last 40 years is Joe Hicketts who has displayed the fact that he is too small to play in the NHL as a dman. Perhaps there may be others but likely just as obscure as Hicketts currently is.

All of this aside I was happy with the pick at 62 and am not hating on the kid but he is still something of a long shot. We are all hoping for a magical unicorn here although I think the real dice roll in picking him was hoping he hits a late growth spurt to sneak him into the realm of plausibility. The kid has great hands and a great mind although he needs to add more power to his stride as he could benefit from a little more acceleration to gain the separation that he will require. He is incredibly skinny so there is alot of work to be done there but his technique is sound so the power should come easily with added muscle.

If he hits a growth spurt I would rocket him up the rankings. To insist that he is currently a more valuable asset to this organization than far more projectable prospects who also have significant upside is more worthy of being labelled insane than viewing him as a lower percentage swing at upside that shoud be met with rempered expectations.

I am all in on cheering for the kid and I am also excited by the talent but you and others are doing a disservice to the depth and quality of this prospect pool by putting him much higher than he should be given his current size.
I agree it's a little bit illogical. Luckily this exercise is just for fun and means nothing, and is really just a popularity contest.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm not super high on Ylonen anymore. Not productive enough to be on a top 6, but doesn't have the tools to be on a bottom 6. He's producing less than RHP at the same age and doesn't show up in important moments. And at least RHP can be an energy guy on the bottom 6, not Ylonen.
I'm pretty high on Ylonen actually. I think he might make the team out of camp this year.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
He needs to move a lot more quickly to get space and time at the next level. If he can do that then I'll adjust my projection.
If Roy is our 5th best prospect then our road to respectability is a bit longer than I imagined. It also doesn’t say much about the bulk of our supposedly current mid ranged prospects. But the good news is with the new management team in place, after this past draft and the next two drafts, the current list and ranked prospects will, thankfully, become largely obsolete, and with respect to some, only a bad memory.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
He also needs to start shooting like its the NHL and to move the puck a lot quicker than the "receive, scan and move" he does.

Really though, I heard you talk about Robertson once and how you thought you misvalued him cause of his skating. Sounds a bit like Robertson, doesn't it? (I did too.)

Well I certainly hope that we have a Jason Robertson on our hands. But my Jason Robertson rule is that a prospect must have at least 2 of the 3 to be highly valued: huge, excellent skater, offensively dominant. Any one of the three can be safely discarded. Joshua Roy is offensively dominant on account of him being way smarter than the average Q player. We'll have to see how that translates going forward.

Reactions: KFlint and Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If Roy is our 5th best prospect then our road to respectability is a bit longer than I imagined. It also doesn’t say much about the bulk of our supposedly current mid ranged prospects. But the good news is with the new management team in place, after this past draft and the next two drafts, the current list and ranked prospects will, thankfully, become largely obsolete, and with respect to some, only a bad memory.
Ya, when the 4th best point producer in the past 30 years is your 5th best prospect, youre having a very tough time 🙄

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I dunno, I think Roy is a good guy to have as your 5th best prospect, in and around there. Our prospect pool hasn't been better since 2008, IMO.

What we need is at least one more crown jewel prospect, though. We have a lot of upside in our pool, but it all comes with quite a bit of uncertainty. We need to get lucky a couple times.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree it's a little bit illogical. Luckily this exercise is just for fun and means nothing, and is really just a popularity contest.
Almost like the Oscars. And most elections.

I dunno, I think Roy is a good guy to have as your 5th best prospect, in and around there. Our prospect pool hasn't been better since 2008, IMO.

What we need is at least one more crown jewel prospect, though. We have a lot of upside in our pool, but it all comes with quite a bit of uncertainty. We need to get lucky a couple times.
Ah the joy and uncertainty of drafting teenagers.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
A note on Hutson, even though I feel he will be overrated on this list, Nick Blankenburg is 5'8 and played in the nhl last year, spurgeon is 5'9 under 180 so is Brad Hunt even though he's a fringe NHLer. Hutson is more talented and skilled than all 3 players and is listed 5'9 on several website and may grow an inches or two. It isn't all that insane to rank him high even though he is a longshot. I feel there will be more and more undersized players in the nhl on defense with the focus on special units these days. We are NOT in the 2000s anymore.

Reactions: KFlint and Mrb1p

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Roy should be playing pro this year. He could totally go to Allsvenskan, for example, but he wont. I don't know why prospects trapped by the CHL rule don't even try to circumvent it.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Roy has maybe a 30% chance to hit.

Hutson, 5%.

Not equivalent.

Hutson beating Mailloux in the poll is an abomination, and I like Hutson.
Lot of posters here think the shiny new toy Hutson is our next superstar , I’ll wait until this 5.8 150 pound DEFENCE MAN matches up against bigger faster nhl calibre forwards. I picked Maillioux , Mailloux will be our number 1-2 defence soon. He had a few injuries. Watch him.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Lot of posters here think the shiny new toy Hutson is our next superstar , I’ll wait until this 5.8 150 pound DEFENCE MAN matches up against bigger faster nhl calibre forwards. I picked Maillioux , Mailloux will be our number 1-2 defence soon. He had a few injuries. Watch him.

I agree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad