Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Sean Farrell has shown at every level he's a better prospect than Roy. I'd be a little annoyed if Roy got voted ahead of Farrell.
I think as far as shear upside, Roy has him beat. However I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I think Farrell has a much higher floor and much higher probability of translating to the NHL.

Long way of saying, you’re right. Farrell should be ranked ahead of Roy IMO as well.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sean Farrell has shown at every level he's a better prospect than Roy. I'd be a little annoyed if Roy got voted ahead of Farrell.
Note that Sean Farrell is close to 2 years older than Roy.

Not sure which levels you're referring to. For one, Farrell never made the world juniors squad. Roy has a chance.

Reactions: Mrb1p

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Can you elaborate? Roy was one of the best CHL players this year at age 18.

And Roy is 6ft 185 lbs, Farrell 5ft9 175 lbs according to hockeydb. Not a huge difference but it does matter, unless those measurements are incorrect .

Bottom line is I feel Joshua Roy has a better chance of becoming a 1st line star than Farrell, so I rank him higher.
Farrell is a much more complete player, his game translates a lot easier to the NHL right now than Roy. He’s playing against men and playing very very well.

Think of it this way. Farrell has a 50/50 shot of becoming a 60pt player, and imo a near 100 shot of being an NHL player.

Roy I would say has a 20% shot at being a 70-80pt player, but probably only a 50% shot of being an NHL player.

Probabilities and upsides are strictly my uneducated opinion, of course

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anti Q narrative as usual, tiring if you ask me.

Farrell and Roy are two of my favorite prospects but youre out to lunch on this one. Roy had a better 17 and 18 yo season than Farrell.

Q > USHL.

Im pretty sure Farrell is 100% a top 6 forward in the NHL, you cant deny that Roy has a better skillset.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Farrell and Roy are two of my favorite prospects but youre out to lunch on this one. Roy had a better 17 and 18 yo season than Farrell.

Q > USHL.

Im pretty sure Farrell is 100% a top 6 forward in the NHL, you cant deny that Roy has a better skillset.

Offensive skillset? Sure.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
CHL production has to be taken with a grain of salt. You are making a good point cause you usually don't see that for age 18 players. But the added layer is he played with two 20 year olds. That doesn't mean he is not that good as a result either.

With Farrell, he's playing against men or players older than 20. CHL has 3 per team. Farrell also looked very good in international play where we have no sample with Roy on that yet.

Roy could pass him in the coming years but today, Farrell gets the edge. It's just the circumstances of where they play and the context within.

CHL has three 20 year olds per team with 16/17 year olds mixed in and most teams have a lot of 18/19 year olds as the core. NCAA has little 18/19 year olds and many 20-24 players. It's a factor

It's basically the reason why we took Slaf over Wright. Ability to see what they can do against older and more mature players.
As much as I appreciate Roy and his potential, Sean Farrell is a legitimate 1st round talent that dropped because of his size.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
CHL production has to be taken with a grain of salt. You are making a good point cause you usually don't see that for age 18 players. But the added layer is he played with two 20 year olds. That doesn't mean he is not that good as a result either.

With Farrell, he's playing against men or players older than 20. CHL has 3 per team. Farrell also looked very good in international play where we have no sample with Roy on that yet.

Roy could pass him in the coming years but today, Farrell gets the edge. It's just the circumstances of where they play and the context within.

CHL has three 20 year olds per team with 16/17 year olds mixed in and most teams have a lot of 18/19 year olds as the core. NCAA has little 18/19 year olds and many 20-24 players. It's a factor

It's basically the reason why we took Slaf over Wright. Ability to see what they can do against older and more mature players.

Joshua Roy was the 1st overall pick in the Q draft, so his high potential runs deep into his history. I know we should take Q production with a grain of salt, but thinking about players who dominated the Q in scoring at age 18 or younger in the last 25 years, Lafrenière, Abramov, Dubois, Garland, Drouin, Huberdeau, Couturier, Voracek, Giroux, Perreault, François Bouchard, Crosby, Pm Bouchard, Gamache, Ribeiro, Richards, Abid, Lecavalier, Brière etc. There are some busts, but the list is pretty strong IMO.

I very much doubt this is why we picked Slaf over Wright. It was just one of the reasons, the main one being that Wright had a shitty year and probably had bad interviews on top of that.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Youre not wrong, but the same can be said about Roy and skating.
Agreed that if Roy improves his quickness he could become a point producing top 6 forward. Habs have accumulated some nice prospects. Hopefully our new management team can get them to that level.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Q > USHL.

I think the debate is subjective and it's close. I give the edge to Farrell but won't be surprised if Roy passes him. I'm just waiting till both turn pro. For now... we can only guess.

Remember when posters said Norlinder was better than Harris?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Joshua Roy was the 1st overall pick in the Q draft, so his high potential runs deep into his history. I know we should take Q production with a grain of salt, but thinking about players who dominated the Q in scoring at age 18 or younger in the last 25 years, Lafrenière, Abramov, Dubois, Garland, Drouin, Huberdeau, Couturier, Voracek, Giroux, Perreault, François Bouchard, Crosby, Pm Bouchard, Gamache, Ribeiro, Richards, Abid, Lecavalier. There are some busts, but the list is pretty strong IMO.

I very much doubt this is why we picked Slaf over Wright. It was just one of the reasons, the main one being that Wright had a shitty year and probably had bad interviews on top of that.

I'm aware of Roy and the context of his career. Most of it anyways.

It's close but I give the edge to Farrell today. Could change and we will have a better idea when both turn pro.

Roy at the WJC this summer is something to watch out for

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Everybody saying farell is better than Roy just because Farell was zooming around at dev camp. Farell is prob better right now but who knows down the line. Roy reminds me of Toffoli a bit

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Can you elaborate? Roy was one of the best CHL players this year at age 18.

And Roy is 6ft 185 lbs, Farrell 5ft9 175 lbs according to hockeydb. Not a huge difference but it does matter, unless those measurements are incorrect .

Bottom line is I feel Joshua Roy has a better chance of becoming a 1st line star than Farrell, so I rank him higher.

Sean Farrell destroyed the USHL.
Then he was one of the best NCAA players on the planet last year. This lead to him getting an Olympic invite.
At the olympics he worked himself up from the 4th line and was one of their most reliable players defensively and scored a fair amount of points.
He was one of the few NCAA players to get invited to the World Championships and again, started low and worked himself up to the point he was again one of their most trusted players. Scored a decent amount of points, played penalty kill, defended leads late in games.

At the development camp he was probably the best player on the ice every day and Roy wasn't really there at all.

Not only does Farrell have every bit the same amount of offensive upside but he's already so advanced defensively that he's got a really solid floor. Skating is a huge separator between the two as well.

Everybody saying farell is better than Roy just because Farell was zooming around at dev camp. Farell is prob better right now but who knows down the line. Roy reminds me of Toffoli a bit

Nah it's cause Sean Farrell was one of the best young players at the Olympics and World Championships and has shown not only is his offensive potential high, his defensive game and smarts makes him a guy who coaches will trust in any role.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I think as far as shear upside, Roy has him beat. However I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I think Farrell has a much higher floor and much higher probability of translating to the NHL.

Long way of saying, you’re right. Farrell should be ranked ahead of Roy IMO as well.
Roy still has weaknesses in his game but he has a track record of fixing problems. According to a recent article his shot was a weakness so he practiced it thousands of times and now it's a strength.

His game has some issues but I expect he's working on them.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Sean Farrell destroyed the USHL.
Then he was one of the best NCAA players on the planet last year. This lead to him getting an Olympic invite.
At the olympics he worked himself up from the 4th line and was one of their most reliable players defensively and scored a fair amount of points.
He was one of the few NCAA players to get invited to the World Championships and again, started low and worked himself up to the point he was again one of their most trusted players. Scored a decent amount of points, played penalty kill, defended leads late in games.

At the development camp he was probably the best player on the ice every day and Roy wasn't really there at all.

Not only does Farrell have every bit the same amount of offensive upside but he's already so advanced defensively that he's got a really solid floor. Skating is a huge separator between the two as well.

Nah it's cause Sean Farrell was one of the best young players at the Olympics and World Championships and has shown not only is his offensive potential high, his defensive game and smarts makes him a guy who coaches will trust in any role.

Thanks!

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Kaiden Guhle. Easy choice right there.

Add Jordan Harris. (I really like his game).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad