Prospect Info: - 2015 Habs Board Top 30 Prospects
Prospect Info: - 2014 Habs Board Prospect Rankings: 1st Annual Mike Cichy Award
Prospect Info: - 2013 Habs Board Prospect Rankings Final Results
Prospect Info: - Looking back at 2012 Prospect Rankings

Last edited:
Reactions: HomeAndHome

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We're now in the ''noise floor'' of our prospect pool. Any guess is as good as any other.

Ylonen, Norlinder, Struble, Kapanen, Fairbrother, Biondi are all legit prospects. And many think that others whose game I'm not as familiar with are also, such as Tuch, roar, etc..

But it's been a while now in the voting that I've had a hard time choosing who to vote for because there are a lot of good candidates. We sure have a huge depth of legit prospects.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
15 prospects in and I still like the talent 💪

Going Ylonen

It's deep with quantity no doubt. Guys like Ylonen, Mysak, and Norlinder are not even in the top 15? Rewind 5+ years ago and they would be in the top 5 :nod:.

I don't know every team's pool in depth but I am confident the Habs pool is one of the deepest pool. We would like more top end quality but what team really has 3+ grade A's without falling victim to the graduation?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ylonen, Norlinder, Struble, Kapanen, Fairbrother, Biondi are all legit prospects. And many think that others whose game I'm not as familiar with are also, such as Tuch, roar, etc..

But it's been a while now in the voting that I've had a hard time choosing who to vote for because there are a lot of good candidates. We sure have a huge depth of legit prospects.

It was deep last year and the year before that and it has only improved. And there is more drafts to come where we likely improve the draft power with more trades at the deadline. Doubt we pick up any 1st's but more 2nd's and 3rd's is definitely possible.

Some fans need to consider two roads.
1) Go after pieces like Dubois and Huberdeau and accelerate the rebuild where we use futures we can spare to also go after a legit #1D. We can also try to draft that piece too cause we are not trading any of our own 1st's.
or
2) Don't go after anybody and keep on the drafting/futures where we aim for Bedard and if we don't get Bedard, we try for the drafts after that.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
It's deep with quantity no doubt. Guys like Ylonen, Mysak, and Norlinder are not even in the top 15? Rewind 5+ years ago and they would be in the top 5 :nod:.

I don't know every team's pool in depth but I am confident the Habs pool is one of the deepest pool. We would like more top end quality but what team really has 3+ grade A's without falling victim to the graduation?

Just take a look at that top 15... 16 with Ylo even. All but Hutson, Xhekaj are low risk to play some games in the NHL... Maybe we can include Mailloux due to injury

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Yeah that's a very depth prospect pool. I really like Rohrer, Smilanic (underrated prospect, he have good scoring ability with great speed, maybe a another Byron type of guy), Struble, Mysak, Dichow, Kapanen (a two-way talented C, I think he can surprise some people), Fairbrother (This guy have great tools, good transition game, two-way D, I think he can be a NHL player with a good development, underrated potential to me), Guindon (great shooter), Biondi (good tools), Rhett Pitlick (Like Rem, pretty talented player) and my favorite in ADD, it's Adam Engstrom, I don't know him perfectly, but I think Habs made a fabulous pick right there... in dev camp he give me attention of him. Really like his skillset and product like a 2nd rounder teammate... Odelius.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Yeah, and so are Rohrer, Xhekaj, maybe Engström, Mysak, Dichow. But who's better than whom? Probably impossible to tell.

Reactions: 26Mats and Andrei79

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sure Slaf/Guhle will force MTLs hand to play them sooner than later, but with the state of the defense this year those grade A prospects can be had this coming draft🤞

I'm expecting a pick from 5-10 range (pre lottery). I feel the chances we get a pick from 1-4 is similar to 11-15. You're never as good as your best season and your not as bad as your worse. Habs roster is not like the Coyotes. Reality

But yeah, regardless of where we pick, there is a chance we can target a Sergachev type on D with our pick. I like how our forwards are shaping up and we could use another center as well. But if Dach reaches potential and Dubois comes, I think the needs will be on D in terms of searching for a legit #1D guy

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I'm expecting a pick from 5-10 range (pre lottery). I feel the chances we get a pick from 1-4 is similar to 11-15. You're never as good as your best season and your not as bad as your worse. Habs roster is not like the Coyotes. Reality

But yeah, regardless of where we pick, there is a chance we can target a Sergachev type on D with our pick. I like how our forwards are shaping up and we could use another center as well. But if Dach reaches potential and Dubois comes, I think the needs will be on D in terms of searching for a legit #1D guy
If the Habs pick is top 10 and they're able to find a way to get another pick in the top 15 it'll be quite the cherry on top for the prospect pool.

They can take a stab at a top end forward and defenseman and with the contracts ending this year look at high end FAs, future could look really good a year from now.

Now... Obviously many things will change before then, but the depth of the pool right now is a great 1st step.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs pick is top 10 and they're able to find a way to get another pick in the top 15 it'll be quite the cherry on top for the prospect pool.

They can take a stab at a top end forward and defenseman and with the contracts ending this year look at high end FAs, future could look really good a year from now.

Now... Obviously many things will change before then, but the depth of the pool right now is a great 1st step.

I think we are going to know a lot more from now till Jan.

* What are the Panthers doing. Good, bad, or meh?
* How does Price look? Performing well or on LTIR
* How is Slaf looking? Same as many others in our pool. Is Roy doing the same stuff without two 20 year olds on his line? Hutson, Farrell, Kidney, Mailloux. List goes on an on.
* How is Dach performing?
* How are tradable assets performing? Dvorak, Drouin, Dadonov, Byron, Hoffman, Allen?
* Are we going to trade for Dubois or wait for him to become UFA?

Exciting times and I think we will be looking for a #1D as our next big piece we are missing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, and so are Rohrer, Xhekaj, maybe Engström, Mysak, Dichow. But who's better than whom? Probably impossible to tell.

Yes, I agree, very hard to differentiate, especially two players that play different positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad