Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jayden Struble

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I mean, 34 pts is his career high in the OHL, as a 21 YO. I like his physical side but if he makes it hes going to be a depth player at best... How high do you rank that? Especially with guys like Rohrer and Heineman, who both have top 6 upside.

His ceiling is what... Chiarot? Thatd be very good for any overager signing but its still a depth player.
As someone hoping he does well Id love him to reach that level but unsure if he will.
If he makes to a Chiarot level that's a huge W for him and the Habs.
That's equivalent to a mid 1st rd asset.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Heineman for me. Probably gets a cup of tea with the big club this year. Has a better NHL level toolkit than RHP and Ylo imo.

Dobes is next for me. Goalies are tough to project but he’s doing everything possible to project as a solid NHL netminder. Primeau did the same though and that’s where I’m hesitant. Even the best goalie prospects take time to make an impact.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Meh,

OP has him in a reasonable queue, his upside is barely replacement level

RHP is producing better than Ylonen at the same age in the same team. And he has the tools to be a bottom 6er, energy type forward. I believe he's more likely to be a NHLer than Ylonen. He's also very close to make it.

I'd vote RHP right after Xhekaj, Dobes, Heineman and Norlinder.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
RHP is producing better than Ylonen at the same age in the same team. And he has the tools to be a bottom 6er, energy type forward. I believe he's more likely to be a NHLer than Ylonen. He's also very close to make it.

I'd vote RHP right after Xhekaj, Dobes, Heineman and Norlinder.
I don't think it matters if your upside is a replacement level 4th liner that can be had for free at any point. I like RHP as a tweener that can provide a professional winning culture in Laval and as depth at the NHL level for injuries. I don't really see players like RHP as valuable NHL prospects, it isn't impossible but it is getting late to make the necessary improvements in his skating.He just looks alot like the typical high end career AHLer/Euro League player.

Ylonen has a more realistic chance to regularly play above the 4th line if he can figure things out. He is bigger, more dynamic and much faster than RHP. I wouldn't say he has a great chance to make it as he more likely ends up in Europe but at least he has the tools to afford him that chance.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I don't think it matters if your upside is a replacement level 4th liner that can be had for free at any point. I like RHP as a tweener that can provide a professional winning culture in Laval and as depth at the NHL level for injuries. I don't really see players like RHP as valuable NHL prospects, it isn't impossible but it is getting late to make the necessary improvements in his skating.He just looks alot like the typical high end career AHLer/Euro League player.

Ylonen has a more realistic chance to regularly play above the 4th line if he can figure things out. He is bigger, more dynamic and much faster than RHP. I wouldn't say he has a great chance to make it as he more likely ends up in Europe but at least he has the tools to afford him that chance.

Nothing I've seen from Ylonen so far suggests me he has a chance to play regularly in the top 9 at the AHL level. Sure, he has some tools and speed, but at his age he should be dominating the AHL. Instead, he was invisible during the playoffs while RHP was one of the MVP. If RHP is a better player than Ylonen in the AHL, why would he suddenly become worse than him in the NHL? RHP's game is much more likely to translate at the upper level, even though it won't be as a star forward.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Nothing I've seen from Ylonen so far suggests me he has a chance to play regularly in the top 9 at the AHL level. Sure, he has some tools and speed, but at his age he should be dominating the AHL. Instead, he was invisible during the playoffs while RHP was one of the MVP. If RHP is a better player than Ylonen in the AHL, why would he suddenly become worse than him in the NHL? RHP's game is much more likely to translate at the upper level, even though it won't be as a star forward.
I think voting for RHP to be the next add is a totally legitimate argument. I voted for Tuch, but I've thought about RHP and will eventually vote for him too.

Reactions: Sherwoo9

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

That is very flawed logic. There are tons of players who have been better in the AHL than players who made it to the NHL. They are different games and sometimes just missing that extra half second of time or losing half a step is enough for AHL stars to be rendered useless whereas faster players can continue on with somewhat similar production to what they had in the AHL. Yes the competition is better but so are their linemates.

Neither player is a great prospect but Ylonen has the better chance to play up in the lineup if he improves his decision making. RHP is not going to grow and is not likely to get any faster at 23 and turning 24 in just over 4 months.

I would agree that RHP has a better chance of playing a role with the organization but that does not make him a noteworthy prospect at all. His greatest value likely will be as a top player and mentor in Laval or as a 4th liner in Montreal and that is great for a 7th rounder and is likely all they were really hoping for when they selected him. Hopefully he sticks around but I suspect he either ends up bouncing around the AHL and NHL 4th lines or eventually ends up in Europe which is where Ylonen likely ends up as well.

RHP is smaller and much slower than Evans and Evans has been hard pressed to play above the 4th line. This team will only get better in the coming years and it is very difficult to envision RHP being a significant piece of the puzzle.

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
At that point Heineman, Dobes, Xhekaj, Ylonen seems fair.
I don’t see much love for Mysak anymore. Or is he just victim of depth+shiny new toy syndrome. I still see him maybe reaching NHL. His Laval seasoning might look like Ylonen’s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad