HF Habs: 2022 HF Habs Prospect Final Rankings

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Mailloux is the biggest outlier because he barely played the last two years, he's very raw and is still somehow #7.

Goalie stats are a lot more circumstantial than skater stats, so it's harder for people who don't really pay attention to evaluate them properly.

We don't have a Carey Price, but we do have goalies with starter upside.

I had Primeau at #6, Dobes at #14, Dichow #20, Croteau #38, Vrbetic #41.

I get the Mailloux hype. He didn't play much, but in the games he did, he showed he's more than just his physical attributes. A big body, who skates well plus shows some hockey sense and playmaking ability? There's a lot to like. He's very much boom or bust IMO... but there aren't many prospects who have his kind of upside.

That same bias to upside is why Hutson is so high up... it's understandable because prospects are still very much judged on projection, and fans are more biased about what they need. Mailloux has a lot of upside and plays a position and style we desperately need.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Or you could argue that if we had a dominant G prospect, he would overcome these biases and percolate to the top. I don't remember how Carey was perceived back in the day. Perhaps such a list was infeasible then.

Carey Price was a 5th overall pick and a generational goalie prospect, doesn't really compare to guys like Dobes who's a 5th round pick and people haven't got to watch him at say, the WJCs.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Carey Price was a 5th overall pick and a generational goalie prospect, doesn't really compare to guys like Dobes who's a 5th round pick and people haven't got to watch him at say, the WJCs.
To me, this suggests that given the chance, we might spend a first-rounder, especially if a dominant prospect slips to one of our picks.

Assuming that we're reasonably stocked up on other positions via other high picks. A guy like Vasi is probably why the Lightning will be in the mix to win it all for several years, even if other teams like the Avalanche and maybe Carolina outflank it at other positions.

The landscape is that competitive.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Imo, the Lane Hutson hype is the biggest outlier in this entire poll. It is insane that he is ahead of Harris and Primeau, even Beck.

He does have the top potential to be above these guys, but for where he is in his development at this point, there is no way he is ahead of those two guys who are nearing NHL readiness and showing solid qualities to make them impactful. Beck's case is mostly being picked a whole 30 slots above, so that can still be debated as they are "at the same point" in their development. And people are allowed to have different preferences than NHL GMs.
Yeah he would have been my choice

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
A funny thing to realize is that Mailloux was drafted around the same spot as Beck. And then continue to miss significant crucial development time. I guess The fact that he was our first pick that year (opposed to our 3rd for Beck) plays a factor in perceptions and expectations. I think 11-12 on this list would be more reasonable at this point for him and IF he develops well he could go up again.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A funny thing to realize is that Mailloux was drafted around the same spot as Beck. And then continue to miss significant crucial development time. I guess The fact that he was our first pick that year (opposed to our 3rd for Beck) plays a factor in perceptions and expectations. I think 11-12 on this list would be more reasonable at this point for him and IF he develops well he could go up again.

Lane Hutson was drafted way after Beck, yet is ahead of him in this ranking.

I think it's more about perceived long term upside. I'm not too worried about Mailloux missing so much development time. Brook and Teasdale had multiple knee injuries. That's different than one freak shoulder injury, a suspension, and a pandemic.

We'll definitely have to be patient with him. He'll be rusty when he comes back.

Reactions: Sherwoo9

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The Hutson ranking really sums up why this is a fan rankings. Obviously he was a good pick, but it's not like all the other teams are just dumb. They all passed on him for a reason which fans disagree with.

I love the pick btw, it's the kind of pick a team in our position can make because we have such a deep pool and so many picks coming our way.

My evaluation of Hutson is based on trusting his doctors. If he is still 5'8 at the next dev camp, this will affect my ranking.

Doctor Recchi?

Reactions: Sam de Mtl

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I plotted them into a depth chart for reference. Not hard to see where we lack depth or top talent.
If any of these guys play an alternate position not identified then please let me know.
Left Wing
Centre
Right Wing
(1) Slafkovsky​
(10) Beck​
(5) Roy (LW)​
(3) Farrell (C)​
(12) Kidney​
(6) Mesar​
(13) Heineman (RW)​
(18) Rohrer (RW)​
(16) Ylonen​
(20) Harvey-Pinard​
(19) Mysak (LW)​
(44) Gordin (C)​
(23) Tuch​
(24) Kapanen​
(29) Guindon (C)​
(27) Biondi​
(36) Teasdale​
(28) Smilanic​
(39) Pitlick​
(32) Simoneau​
(46) Gorniak (C)​
(34) Davidson​
(40) Hillis​
(41) Schnarr​
(43) Condotta (LW)​
(45) Smith (RW)​
Left Defense
Right Defense
Goaltender
(2) Guhle​
(4) Barron​
(11) Primeau​
(8) Hutson​
(7) Mailloux​
(14) Dobes​
(9) Harris (RD)​
(35) Tourigny​
(22) Dichow​
(15) Xhekaj​
(42) Sobolev​
(37) Vrbetic​
(19) Norlinder​
(47) Henrikson​
(38) Croteau​
(21) Struble​
(25) Fairbrother​
(26) Engstrom​
(30) Trudeau​
(31) Kostenko​
(33) Nurmi​

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I plotted them into a depth chart for reference. Not hard to see where we lack depth or top talent.
If any of these guys play an alternate position not identified then please let me know.
Left Wing
Centre
Right Wing
(1) Slafkovsky​
(10) Beck​
(5) Roy​
(3) Farrell (C)​
(12) Kidney​
(6) Mesar​
(13) Heineman (RW)​
(18) Rohrer (RW)​
(16) Ylonen​
(20) Harvey-Pinard​
(19) Mysak (LW)​
(44) Gordin (C)​
(23) Tuch​
(24) Kapanen​
(29) Guindon (C)​
(27) Biondi​
(36) Teasdale​
(28) Smilanic​
(39) Pitlick​
(32) Simoneau​
(46) Gorniak (C)​
(34) Davidson​
(40) Hillis​
(41) Schnarr​
(43) Condotta (LW)​
(45) Smith (RW)​
Left Defense
Right Defense
Goaltender
(2) Guhle​
(4) Barron​
(11) Primeau​
(8) Hutson​
(7) Mailloux​
(14) Dobes​
(9) Harris (RD)​
(35) Tourigny​
(22) Dichow​
(15) Xhekaj​
(42) Sobolev​
(37) Vrbetic​
(19) Norlinder​
(47) Henrikson​
(38) Croteau​
(21) Struble​
(25) Fairbrother​
(26) Engstrom​
(30) Trudeau​
(31) Kostenko​
(33) Nurmi​
AMAZING!! Thanks!!

I think Roy will play LW .

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The Hutson ranking really sums up why this is a fan rankings. Obviously he was a good pick, but it's not like all the other teams are just dumb. They all passed on him for a reason which fans disagree with.

I love the pick btw, it's the kind of pick a team in our position can make because we have such a deep pool and so many picks coming our way.

Doctor Recchi?

Pronman has Hutson way ahead of Beck as well (actually more than we did).

The only reason he dropped is his size.

It all depends on if you trust his doctors (or his ability to compensate for his size).

Reactions: WinterLion

Sherwoo9

Jul 17, 2018
Pronman has Hutson way ahead of Beck as well (actually more than we did).

The only reason he dropped is his size.

It all depends on if you trust his doctors (or his ability to compensate for his size).
In 2018 Pronman is one of the few guys who was higher on KK. We see how that turned out. Also had Ylonen at 14 while Dobson was 20th! Props to him on taking bold takes and putting them out there, but hindsight certainly doesn’t give him any special credibility.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
In 2018 Pronman is one of the few guys who was higher on KK. We see how that turned out. Also had Ylonen at 14 while Dobson was 20th! Props to him on taking bold takes and putting them out there, but hindsight certainly doesn’t give him any special credibility.

He is still not just a "fan", so saying ranking Hutson high is a "fan" move is quite dismissive. He's probably not the only one that will have such a take as well, but most lists are not out yet.

Farrell was ranked #16 and Biondi #24 in their first rankings here with Smith being #32, despite being drafted 22 and 15 picks later. It ended up being the right move despite us being "fans".

Reactions: SOLR

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He is still not just a "fan", so saying ranking Hutson high is a "fan" move is quite dismissive. He's probably not the only one that will have such a take as well, but most lists are not out yet.

Farrell was ranked #16 and Biondi #24 in their first rankings here with Smith being #32, despite being drafted 22 and 15 picks later. It ended up being the right move despite us being "fans".

Does Pronman have a scouting background? I thought he was just a reporter.

Also I wasn't trying to offend you... or any of us... I think we do a great job.. it's just that we don't have to take into consideration things that real scouts and organizations do..

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Does Pronman have a scouting background? I thought he was just a reporter.

Sports reporter is still not "just a fan". Anyway, we can wait for other to publish their lists.

As far as the board ranking goes, it's not like #8 and #10 are that far apart. They are probably in the same tier for most people and the majority privileged the upside of Hutson over the safety of Beck.

If Hutson was #10 and beck #8, would it be that much different?

Also I wasn't trying to offend you... or any of us... I think we do a great job.. it's just that we don't have to take into consideration things that real scouts and organizations do..

Sorry for sounding quite defensive.

NHL organizations are often plagued with trying to replicate past patterns.

This is how we got guys like Boris Valabik being drafted in the top 10 in search of a Chara while he was barely pro level and retired at 31 years old after a career of face punching (even in lower league like Slovakia, Kazakhstan and Great Britain).

I think this is part of Hughes' approach to drafting. Hutson was an extremely high value pick as far as upside was concerned at 62. They knew no one was going to touch him at 33 (despite being potentially worth it) so they took a guy they liked a lot instead of ultimate upside.

I think they played on most of the NHL GMs being dinosaurs and being scared of an undersized D, despite the success of guys like Spurgeon, Girard, Grzelcyk, Barrie, Virtanen and Ellis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherwoo9

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Sports reporter is still not "just a fan". Anyway, we can wait for other to publish their lists.

As far as the board ranking goes, it's not like #8 and #10 are that far apart. They are probably in the same tier for most people and the majority privileged the upside of Hutson over the safety of Beck.

If Hutson was #10 and beck #8, would it be that much different?

It's really not a big deal. I was just making an observation about something I've noticed since the days when we we all ranked Mike Ribeiro over M Chouinard... it doesn't make us wrong obviously...;)

I'll never call you "just a fan" again... I promise!! :)

I see now that you find it dismissive... I think you missed my point. I really wasn't trying to offend anybody, I'm sorry that you took offense. I don't think it's necessarily wrong actually...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's really not a big deal. I was just making an observation about something I've noticed since the days when we we all ranked Mike Ribeiro over M Chouinard... it doesn't make us wrong obviously...;)

I'll never call you "just a fan" again... I promise!! :)

I see now that you find it dismissive... I think you missed my point. I really wasn't trying to offend anybody, I'm sorry that you took offense. I don't think it's necessarily wrong actually...

Sorry again, see edit. Just used to people being dismissive of other people opinions for no reasons other than their perceived background. We have a lot of knowledgeable people on this board (some more than most pro journalists), so I tend to get overly defensive when I feel their opinion is undermined, whether voluntarily or involuntarily (like in your case).

Again, sorry for lashing out.

• Love
Reactions: WinterLion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
To me, this suggests that given the chance, we might spend a first-rounder, especially if a dominant prospect slips to one of our picks.

Assuming that we're reasonably stocked up on other positions via other high picks. A guy like Vasi is probably why the Lightning will be in the mix to win it all for several years, even if other teams like the Avalanche and maybe Carolina outflank it at other positions.

The landscape is that competitive.
The Lightning would win cups with 100% of the starting goaltenders in this league and then some backups. They have insane defensive coverage and their offense is top tier too.

The lightning dont get "outflanked" by anyone, they have the best defender in the league, they have insane defensive depth and they have the best winger in the league. Vasilesvky is like the 6th most important player on that team.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
That's a really good prospect pool, great time to be a Habs fan! I think Habs have drafted 4 1st round talent in 2022 draft with Slafkovsky, Mesar, Beck and Hutson. That's all very good pick. Rohrer, Guindon and Engstrom too all pretty good pick in 2022 draft. Farrell and Roy looks both big big steal at 4th and 5th round, they have both top 6 potential with their high talent and high hockey IQ. Solid at defense too with Guhle, Barron, Mailloux, Harris, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble, Engstrom, and more. Good goalies too with Primeau, Dobes and Dichow.

Habs have already Suzuki (23 years old), Caufield (21 years old) and Dach (21 years old), 3 high talented forward with high hockey IQ.

This team is going to be fun to watch for many years to come.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's a really good prospect pool, great time to be a Habs fan! I think Habs have drafted 4 1st round talent in 2022 draft with Slafkovsky, Mesar, Beck and Hutson. That's all very good pick. Rohrer, Guindon and Engstrom too all pretty good pick in 2022 draft. Farrell and Roy looks both big big steal at 4th and 5th round, they have both top 6 potential with their high talent and high hockey IQ. Solid at defense too with Guhle, Barron, Mailloux, Harris, Xhekaj, Hutson, Struble, Engstrom, and more. Good goalies too with Primeau, Dobes and Dichow.

Habs have already Suzuki (23 years old), Caufield (21 years old) and Dach (21 years old), 3 high talented forward with high hockey IQ.

This team is going to be fun to watch for many years to come.

If we go 100% we are SC contenders for years.

If our picks fail, we end up doing the Sabrs/Oilers "rebuild".

Hopefully, we are closer to the former.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The Lightning would win cups with 100% of the starting goaltenders in this league and then some backups. They have insane defensive coverage and their offense is top tier too.

The lightning dont get "outflanked" by anyone, they have the best defender in the league, they have insane defensive depth and they have the best winger in the league. Vasilesvky is like the 6th most important player on that team.

Colorado has "outflanked" them last year (in a way). Their offense overpowered Tampa, even though they have a really solid defensive team.

While I agree that Hedman is the best combination of defense and offense in the league right now, the defense will look very different without McDonagh and I don't expect them to be nearly as good defensively without him.

Also, Vasy isn't 6th best player for them, that is just incorrect. He is definitely top 3. Most TB fans consider him the most important of all. It's arguable that Hedman and Kucherov are more important. Point and Stamkos a little bit behind.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Prospects I'm looking forward to following the most this year:

1. Slaf
2. Hutson
3. Mailloux
4. Farrell
5. Mesar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad