2022 entry draft

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Today is the draft lottery. (On ESPN, ESPN+)

Derek Engelland is representing VGK (of the 16 "GMs" observing the lottery).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If we go by position with prospects and youngish players 25 and under of note.

Center
Eichel, Roy, Howden, Morozov, Dean, Brabanec
Patrick? Leschyshyn? Cotter?

Winger
Kolesar, Brisson, Dorofeyev, Hallum
Rondbjerg? Dugan?

Defense
Hague, Whitecloud, Coghlan, Cormier, Chayka, Korczak, Miromanov, Deliberatore

Goalie
Thompson, Patera, Saville, Vikman, Lindbom

Winger does look the weakest. If you went under 25 then Eichel, Roy, Kolesar, Whitecloud and Thompson would be off this list as they're all 25 now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Center

Winger
Rondbjerg? Dugan?

Defense

Goalie

Winger does look the weakest. If you went under 25 then Eichel, Roy, Kolesar, Whitecloud and Thompson would be off this list as they're all 25 now.

Demek plays C but they could definitely use another center in the pipeline.

Ferguson was injured and I pefer his upside to Patera. The young goalies they have are decent enough that if they wanted to restock the pipeline they should definitely be leaning towards taking mostly forwards this draft.

I don't get why some teams go BPA all through the draft and I like how Vegas seems to make an effort to round out their prospect pool.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Center

Winger
Rondbjerg? Dugan?

Defense

Goalie

Good overview.

I think the C pipeline isn't that bad if they can sign Roy reasonably. Can always find someone of Patrick's quality for about that price, just hope he stays healthy enough to be 3C or 4C.

I hope some of these guys push Kolesar down to the scrub level he plays at most nights. Brisson seems sure to stick with the club no later than after a year in the AHL. Rondbjerg seems perfectly fine to take over the Kolesar spot, hard not to be more productive. Dugan has been disappointing but there was something there before that seems like he's got 3rd line potential. Anyways this is where most free agent money gets spent so don't need a whole lot here but would be good to add to the pipeline some top 6 long-term potential players.

Defense just needs opportunities. This is the downside of being a team that prefers nothing but veterans all the time. Coghlan feels like with some work and experience is a 4D to me, but everyone loses it over a mistake or two he makes on the ice and then he's benched or in Henderson. If they do move Martinez then everyone moves up a spot. I really hope Cassidy brings back the mix and match of a puck mover with a stay at home D for the pairings again. But in the end, defense needs a lot of time and experience to be good two way players and without top picks for awhile this area needs patience and to stop trading youth away.

Thompson is clearly the only guy that matters for a few years. I think Saville can be something decent or even good in a few years, he's physically gifted and played at a high level in NCAA. Not sure about Ferguson or Patera, they feel like AHL level at best, maybe backups in a pinch in the NHL, but goalies don't really find their NHL-level game until 25 or older so we'll see.

Overall things are looking about where they need to be in terms of organizational depth. As expected it took five years to get here. The problem is not a lot of high-end prospects here thanks to all the trades. As long as they continue with the current strategy that isn't going to change.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Buffalo picking my favorite played in this draft with Vegas' old pick. Of course.

I can pretty much guarantee since they traded the pick away, there's at least one future superstar that was available. One of Ostlund, Kemell or Miroschichenko IMO.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They swapped their 2023 4th for a pick this year & drafted a goalie. Cameron Whitehead.

It looks like he might have been available in the 5th or 6th rounds but I guess they didn't want to chance it. Their amateur goalie scouting is pretty good so I'll trust this one.

Not loving the first 2 picks though. They must have liked Gustafson in the WHL finals.

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Patrick Guay! Cormier & Demec's Charlottetown teammate & scoring leader. Now that's a homerun attempt.

(of course, he's an overager & 20 years old but still)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Full list of draftees:

Matyas Spovaliv (48), Jordan Gustafson (79), Cameron Whitehead (128), Patrick Guay (145), Ben Hemmerling (177), Abram Wiebe (209)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad