Prospect Info: 2022 Ducks Prospect Rankings #5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the fifth poll, I am voting for Jacob Perreault.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2022 Ducks Prospect Rankings

1. C - Mason McTavish (+2)
2. D - Pavel Mintyukov (2022 draftee)
3. D - Olen Zellweger (+3)
4. G - Lukas Dostal (no change)

Our graduates and departures are:

Trevor Zegras
Jamie Drysdale
Alexander Volkov
Josh Mahura
Brendan Guhle
Jack Badini
Roman Durny​

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Perreault than Vaakanainen... I think.....

Reactions: DavidBL

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Perreault prob wins in a land slide…
But I strongly considered thrun or luneau here

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Perreault prob wins in a land slide…
But I strongly considered thrun or luneau here
If Thrun or Luneau turn into Vaks on the Ducks (for Thrun atleast) I would be thrilled. That's the reason I'm voting for Vaks because I think he has more to give. His gaps were amongst the best I've seen on the Ducks in a long time (obviously short sample size). Excited to see how he looks with a healthy training camp going into the season (I hope)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If Thrun or Luneau turn into Vaks on the Ducks (for Thrun atleast) I would be thrilled. That's the reason I'm voting for Vaks because I think he has more to give. His gaps were amongst the best I've seen on the Ducks in a long time (obviously short sample size). Excited to see how he looks with a healthy training camp going into the season (I hope)
I havnt been super impressed with Vaaks at all…. And if luneau or thrun don’t become better than Vaaks, our depth isn’t as good as it seems

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I havnt been super impressed with Vaaks at all…. And if luneau or thrun don’t become better than Vaaks, our depth isn’t as good as it seems
HFBoards where every prospect hits his full potential. I'll stick with the player that has proved something at this level and has as much upside as both of those players. Thrun is literally the same type of player as Vaaks if he pans out that's what you're getting.... and that's even if he signs with the Ducks. Thrun isn't a huge upside player at all, he's projected as a solid two way guy similar to Vaaks. Luneau has upside but his injury scares me and watching his skating doesn't do him any favors with me right now (He's probably building back strength but his explosive skating is lacking)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
HFBoards where every prospect hits his full potential. I'll stick with the player that has proved something at this level and has as much upside as both of those players. Thrun is literally the same type of player as Vaaks if he pans out that's what you're getting.
In your opinion sure, you’ve been wrong before…. Personally I think thrun is more likely to be top 4 than Vaaks. Vaaks is guhle/larsson/mahuraish

What a weird generalization to post

• Haha
Reactions: bsu

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Why are people comparing Vaaks to Guhle and Larsson. Literally can't even take those posts seriously :laugh: I coach defensemen and see a huge difference between the players. I can't even fathom comparing those players but to each their own. Vaaks has elite gap control which was brought up by Boston fans before we even traded for him, eye test matched that. Sucks he was paired with Drysdale without knowing our system at all too. Once he's acclimated and not paired with a 19 year old he'll be a solid defensemen for us.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Why are people comparing Vaaks to Guhle and Larsson. Literally can't even take those posts seriously :laugh: I coach defensemen and see a huge difference between the players. I can't even fathom comparing those players but to each their own. Vaaks has elite gap control which was brought up by Boston fans before we even traded for him, eye test matched that. Sucks he was paired with Drysdale without knowing our system at all too.

I don't get those comparisons at all either. But I'm a couch potato, so what do I know?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
No training camp and barely any practices, paired with our 19 year old worst defensive defensemen... coming off an injury sounds like a great situation. Excited to see how he looks next year have knowing the system and healthy for once.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Vaak for me
I’m not certain he’s a prospect even. He’s an NHL player that just needs to stay healthy
Vaakainanen is so close to being ineligible, turns 24 this season, and 45 of 65 GP. Did think about an exception, but ultimately decided to keep him here because his 29 GP this season is by far the most he's played in one year, so he's really still only recently cracked the league in a stable role this season, and still has yet to prove himself beyond 29 games. Pretty high on him myself though

Last edited:
Reactions: pbgoalie and bsu

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Vaakainanen is so close to being ineligible, turns 24 this season, and 45 of 65 GP. Did think about an exception, but ultimately decided to keep him here because his 29 GP this season which is by far the most he's played in one year, so he's really still only recently cracked the league in a stable role this season, and still has yet to prove himself beyond 29 games. Pretty high on him myself though
I thought about going Vaaks here but Perreault upside is Phil Kessel-ish (going to take at least another year though) IMO so I'll go upside here.

Reactions: MMC

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Why are people comparing Vaaks to Guhle and Larsson. Literally can't even take those posts seriously :laugh: I coach defensemen and see a huge difference between the players. I can't even fathom comparing those players but to each their own. Vaaks has elite gap control which was brought up by Boston fans before we even traded for him, eye test matched that. Sucks he was paired with Drysdale without knowing our system at all too. Once he's acclimated and not paired with a 19 year old he'll be a solid defensemen for us.
Perhaps because of what GM traded for him?

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Went with Vaaks as well because I think he's at the lower end of the 4s in the league already who settles in to a mid-pairing role when it's all said and done.

Can't begrudge Perreault if he wins though. Flashes of brilliance while still being young for the AHL last season and I thought his consistency issues really mirrored the roller coaster the team went on. Also thought that he took a leap in his own end defensively, where he's like most of the young forwards in our system (ie they try, but they really don't know where to be positionally).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Vaakainanen is so close to being ineligible, turns 24 this season, and 45 of 65 GP. Did think about an exception, but ultimately decided to keep him here because his 29 GP this season which is by far the most he's played in one year, so he's really still only recently cracked the league in a stable role this season, and still has yet to prove himself beyond 29 games. Pretty high on him myself though

Probably want to put RD Axel Andersson in the poll too, yet another former Bruin defensive prospect.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Went with Tracey.

He had a huge improvement jump between his two seasons in the AHL, from 0 pts in 12 games two seasons ago to 31 pts in 55 games last year. At one point during the season, he lead the team in scoring. He was doing this player lower in the lineup than Perreault.

Still love Perreault, but Tracey's development jump was just bigger than Perreault's improvement playing at the same level.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I said Vaak, and I MEANT IT.

But this is the mushy middle where all good prospects could reasonably go. Just a matter of how you value upside potential vs. predictability.

I think Vaak is unlikely to be more than a top-4, but he looks like he could be full-time NHL right now (at this point in time). Meanwhile, Thrun could be top-pairing in 2 years or be another Mahura struggling to crack the lineup.

Similarly, Perreault could be quite the something in the next 2 years...or he could be an AHL-lifer.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00