Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drew Helleson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't remember Guhle ever looking good at any point unless it was just for a random shift here and there.
Facts called him a bum the first game he played, he was all south/north skating and for a defensemen that ain't good.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I don't remember Guhle ever looking good at any point unless it was just for a random shift here and there.

He was terrible here from the get go IMO. He did skate awfully well though which probably made him look better than he was to the naked eye.

Reactions: bsu

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Then that's the level of his game. Better than Mahura and Benoit, but still a bottom pairing guy. That's not a "super solid #4 with upside for more".
I don't even get what you're talking about here.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Goalies are so hard. He could easily be the best NHLer out of our prospects. He also could never be an NHL starter.

After Perreault is where it gets interesting. Lots of defensemen to choose from...

Reactions: Static and bsu

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Dostal. I'm expecting we see more games from him this season. If we're out of the hunt by the trade deadline, Stolarz could be on the move and Dostal would conceivably be the full-time backup for the foreseeable future.

The next vote should be interesting. Lots of people beating their drums for Perreault, but I'm definitely in the Vaaks camp.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Dostal easily. I hope he's getting ready to take over the team in a few years. Would love to see him get some more reps this year, especially when Gibby inevitably gets hurt.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't get it. Confidence = no upside?

If Vaaks was healthy, looked good to you last year, and didn't lack any confidence, then that's the best. His best really isn't all that. I'm hoping he's lacking confidence because then there could be a reason for improvement in his game, or at least replicate his good play in Boston this year before he got rocked on the ice and got injured in the process. Upon his return to play in Boston, he got two games and then no more; only to play in the NHL again in Anaheim a month later.

=== LotR version ===

I know Vaaks has had a concussion that derailed his development in 2018. In the 13 games he played with the Bruins this year, he looked good until he got rocked on Feb 1st. Vaaks was unable to duplicate his play after the injury when he returned to play. He only lasted 2 NHL games to not be seen again at the NHL level until he was traded to us.

Just like everyone else, I was excited to see Vaaks play. He's better than Mahura and Benoit. He's got great gap control. He's able to eat minutes like a top-4, an ATOI of 19:21 with us. Outside of that, Vaaks was non-descript. I just looked up his possession numbers in recent days and didn't realize he was worse than I recall on ice. Being better than Mahura and Benoit also isn't a ringing endorsement either.

My hopes is that he might have lost some confidence since that hit b/c we haven't seen that potential top-4 player that the Boston media was reporting about before his Feb injury. All the tools are there, but since that injury, Vaaks hasn't played like that yet. Same thing happened to Guhle such that he had a small stretch where he looked great flying up and down the ice until he got injured. Upon Guhle's return, he didn't quite play the same and has oft been injured.

I just don't see any upside if Vaaks was healthy, looked good on the ice, and lacked no confidence when he played with us. He's just an improved placeholder over Mahura and Benoit for something better.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
If Vaaks was healthy, looked good to you last year, and didn't lack any confidence, then that's the best. His best really isn't all that. I'm hoping he's lacking confidence because then there could be a reason for improvement in his game, or at least replicate his good play in Boston this year before he got rocked on the ice and got injured in the process. Upon his return to play in Boston, he got two games and then no more; only to play in the NHL again in Anaheim a month later.

=== LotR version ===

I know Vaaks has had a concussion that derailed his development in 2018. In the 13 games he played with the Bruins this year, he looked good until he got rocked on Feb 1st. Vaaks was unable to duplicate his play after the injury when he returned to play. He only lasted 2 NHL games to not be seen again at the NHL level until he was traded to us.

Just like everyone else, I was excited to see Vaaks play. He's better than Mahura and Benoit. He's got great gap control. He's able to eat minutes like a top-4, an ATOI of 19:21 with us. Outside of that, Vaaks was non-descript. I just looked up his possession numbers in recent days and didn't realize he was worse than I recall on ice. Being better than Mahura and Benoit also isn't a ringing endorsement either.

My hopes is that he might have lost some confidence since that hit b/c we haven't seen that potential top-4 player that the Boston media was reporting about before his Feb injury. All the tools are there, but since that injury, Vaaks hasn't played like that yet. Same thing happened to Guhle such that he had a small stretch where he looked great flying up and down the ice until he got injured. Upon Guhle's return, he didn't quite play the same and has oft been injured.

I just don't see any upside if Vaaks was healthy, looked good on the ice, and lacked no confidence when he played with us. He's just an improved placeholder over Mahura and Benoit for something better.
Don't care about his purported possession numbers.

He looked pretty good and there's no reason (despite what you say) for anyone to decide that he has nothing more to give.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Don't care about his purported possession numbers.

He looked pretty good and there's no reason (despite what you say) for anyone to decide that he has nothing more to give.
With barely any understanding of system, coming off injury, paired with 19 year old Jamie he looked solid I agree. He will never be a flashy guy or huge numbers but I can see him turning into a Lydman like player if he develops right. He's definitely a NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad