• Connor Hvidston

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the fourteenth poll, I am voting for Tristan Luneau.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2022 Ducks Prospect Rankings

1. C - Mason McTavish (+2)
2. D - Pavel Mintyukov (2022 draftee)
3. D - Olen Zellweger (+3)
4. G - Lukas Dostal (no change)
5. RW - Jacob Perreault (no change)
6. D - Urho Vaakanainen (2022 acquired)
7. C - Nathan Gaucher (2022 draftee)
8. D - Henry Thrun (-1)
9. RW - Sasha Pastujov (no change)
10. D - Jackson LaCombe (no change)
11. D - Drew Helleson (2022 acquired)
12. LW - Brayden Tracey (-1)
13. D - Noah Warren (2022 draftee)

Our graduates and departures are:

Trevor Zegras
Jamie Drysdale
Alexander Volkov
Josh Mahura
Brendan Guhle
Jack Badini
Roman Durny​

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Final rankings:
1. Zegras (1st yr eligible)
2. Steel (-1)
3. Terry (-1)
4. Comtois (+2)
5. Lundestrom (-)
6. Jones (+2)
7. Tracey (1st yr eligible)
8. Dostal (+11)
9. Larsson (-6)
10. Guhle (1st yr Ducks property)
11. Mahura (-7)
12. Grouxl (+1)
13. LaCombe (1st yr eligible)
14. McLaughlin (-)
15. Sherwood (+6)
16. Morand (-7)
17. Thrun (1st yr eligible)
18. Benoit (1st yr Ducks property)
19. Drew (+3)
20. Perbix (-)
21. Kopacka (-5)
22. Janicke (-)
23. De Leo (-)
24. Eriksson Ek (-8)
25. Badini (-7)

Interesting looking at these rankings compared to 4 years ago. Both lists are comprised of mostly 1st/2nd rounders through to 13th, however we still have 4 2nd rounders left on the board, contrary to the singular 2nd rounder past that point on the other list. Not to mention the cash cow of 1st/2nd rounders that will be used at next draft.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Even though I voted Benny last and this time, I think Warren was a solid pick.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Luneau, Clang, Moore, Colangelo should be next 4
Clang is a great option, I think Luneau has some intrigue as well.

But Benoit is already a solid physical, PK'ing 3rd-pair defender (well, he should be this year, the trajectory certainly supports it). I don't have confidence that either Moore or Colangelo can surely beat that (they might).
Picking Benny again.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Benny. Prospects at this point are lottery tickets.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
If Clang gets voted over Benoit I'll die inside. A few amount of these players if any will become every day NHL players. I personally think Benoit also has a little more to give. But if any of the players turn out to be better our organization is in great shape.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If Clang gets voted over Benoit I'll die inside. A few amount of these players if any will become every day NHL players. I personally think Benoit also has a little more to give. But if any of the players turn out to be better our organization is in great shape.
What's wrong with people seeing a potential starting goaltender as a better prospect than a defenseman who most people think has bottom pairing upside?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
What's wrong with people seeing a potential starting goaltender as a better prospect than a defenseman who most people think has bottom pairing upside?
Because goalies are one of the most fickle prospects in all of sports. It's not the end of the world either way anything is possible at this point. For instance, Steel was voted #1 and he's barely a NHL player, it's all risk vs reward with prospects. We all miss on stuff because development curves aren't linear, I just know the further you get away from the top 10 your chances of a NHL player dwindle tremendously.

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Because goalies are one of the most fickle prospects in all of sports. It's not the end of the world either way anything is possible at this point. For instance, Steel was voted #1 and he's barely a NHL player, it's all risk vs reward with prospects. We all miss on stuff because development curves aren't linear, I just know the further you get away from the top 10 your chances of a NHL player dwindle tremendously.
I agree but a lot of people including myself (mostly) vote based on upside

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Give me a goalie who might be a starter over a D who is limited to the 3rd pairing. The potential value is just so much greater. Benoit isn't even an NHL'er on a team with solid D.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Give me a goalie who might be a starter over a D who is limited to the 3rd pairing. The potential value is just so much greater. Benoit isn't even an NHL'er on a team with solid D.
Well see what happens, it's the good fun in prospects.

Last edited:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I need to see Benoit play more. He could still flame out at the NHL level like other bottom pair guys did: Wellinski, Megna, etc

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Why Benoit is a bottom pairing(more likely a 7th)…. Clang has potential to be more than that

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I take a prospect with a 10-20% of being something great and a 80-90% chance of busting any day of the week over someone who is guaranteed to play NHL games but only as a depth player.

Players like Benoit can be claimed off the waiver wire every season. Depth should never be hard to find, hell there are dozens of depth players still out there as free agents who could be had for next to nothing.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I take a prospect with a 10-20% of being something great and a 80-90% chance of busting any day of the week over someone who is guaranteed to play NHL games but only as a depth player.

Players like Benoit can be claimed off the waiver wire every season. Depth should never be hard to find, hell there are dozens of depth players still out there as free agents who could be had for next to nothing.
Glad you're not our GM. 10%? Lol okay. This is HFBoards as a post. I will say this is a big year for Mahura and Benoit. I'll take the NHL player especially when he plays a game we desperately need and most important he understands his role. Steel was voted #1 on here and I'd take Benoit over him at this point so all the rankings can end up anywhere that's the fun in it. Taking a player that has 10% of "being good" as the 14th best prospect in our organization over an everyday NHL player is interesting logic though for sure.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I went with Colangelo. He was finally healthy and became a big time scorer. The potential is there, but he only did it for one season b/c he's been injured for often for two seasons in the NCAA.

====

It's cool seeing Warren getting hype, but it makes me wonder why Hinds didn't get equal or more love?

Hinds is 6'3 and 181 lbs. He was considered just another shutdown defenseman until he was traded midway into his D+0 season. With his new team, he found a scoring touch! His D+1 season proved that his new found scoring touch is real. Here's a scouting profile on Hinds by the Draft Analyst: link.

Hinds D+0 season (QMJHL)
Shawinigan: 10 games, 0g +1a = 1pt (0.1ppg), +3 rating​
Rimouski: 23 games 6g + 9a = 15 pts (0.65 ppg), +7 rating​

Hinds D+1 season (QMJHL)
Rimouski: 23 games, 5g + 11a = 16 pts (0.70 ppg), +5 rating​
Sherbrooke: 38 games, 7g + 12a = 19 pts (0.5 ppg), +23 rating​

Warren D+0 (QMJHL)
Gatineau: 62 games, 5g + 19a = 24 pts (0.39 ppg), +17 rating​

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Glad you're not our GM. 10%? Lol okay. This is HFBoards as a post. I will say this is a big year for Mahura and Benoit. I'll take the NHL player especially when he plays a game we desperately need and most important he understands his role. Steel was voted #1 on here and I'd take Benoit over him at this point so all the rankings can end up anywhere that's the fun in it. Taking a player that has 10% of "being good" as the 14th best prospect in our organization over an everyday NHL player is interesting logic though for sure.

We probably have differing opinions on what Benoit is. He is as fringe as it gets and we could easily replace him and I don't see much room for improvement. To me he's a Brett Festerling clone. I take a longshot with upside over a predictable depth piece any day.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Benoit and Mahura are placeholders. I like Benoit's chances of sticking around the NHL than Mahura, but both still remain placeholders. Vaaks came in at the TDL and leapfrogged both Benoit and Mahura. Vaaks isn't all that either. I'm pulling for Benoit to succeed, but he does have limitations. I hope there's more, but I didn't get that feel last year.

With that said, Clang had a rough start to his Champions League.

I'll take the upside on other prospects because they've yet been defined at the NHL level and could be better than 6/7th defensemen only b/c we're lacking blue line talent right now.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I don't think people in North America realize how rare it's for goaltenders to have played as many games in the SHL as Clang has at his young age.

As much as "goaltenders are voodoo" he's already close to AHL starter level, and would have to stagnate completely to not become an NHL backup or at the very least a good #3 goaltender.

I can see why people hated the Rakell trade, not realizing what it takes for a 19 year old goaltender to play in 17 SHL games with a 91.5 svs%. And it's not like he was bad in Allsvenskan as an 18 year old the year prior, either.

Jesper Wallstedt is the most talented goaltender to come out of Sweden ever. In pretty much any other year, Clang would have been a starter for the Swedish world juniors team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't think people in North America realize how rare it's for goaltenders to have played as many games in the SHL as Clang has at his young age.

As much as "goaltenders are voodoo" he's already close to AHL starter level, and would have to stagnate completely to not become an NHL backup or at the very least a good #3 goaltender.

I can see why people hated the Rakell trade, not realizing what it takes for a 19 year old goaltender to play in 17 SHL games with a 91.5 svs%. And it's not like he was bad in Allsvenskan as an 18 year old the year prior, either.

Jesper Wallstedt is the most talented goaltender to come out of Sweden ever. In pretty much any other year, Clang would have been a starter for the Swedish world juniors team.
Well, Dostal had better numbers and he is still constantly overlooked by everybody, so Clang must be meh :laugh:

I am very happy about Clang ever since the trade, I agree that people might overlook his achievements so far. Even tho I voted Benny, I think Clang is a very solid pick, and has a good to great potential to be much higher on this list 1-2 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad