Prospect Info: 2022 Draft Prospects, Part II

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We already have Siegenthaler!

33739686252_d9a2925677_b.jpg

I forget whether or not we claimed Siegenthaler in the Racial Draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

C/LW Daniil Davydov, MHK Dynamo-St. Petersburg MHL

Here's another potential late round super sleeper. Though I wouldn't call Davydov a "high-end upside" guy, he's a high-IQ center who skates well, displays excellent passing vision and plays a two-way game. The 5'11-175 forward plays responsible, low-risk game which may have negatively impacted his scoring totals, which to me makes him even more intriguing. He's also one of the better face-off men available for the 2022 draft class.

Davydov has not garnered much, if any, attention from the scouting bureaus, hinting to the fact he's another kid who may be available in the 6th/7th rounds. Though you would probably have to wait four or five years for him to compete for an NHL job, this is the type of player you want to take a chance on late in drafts, because all indications are he has middle-6 center upside. If he can build his core strength and up his skating a notch, we're dealing with a strong, 200-foot player who can pop as a playmaker. If not, I still feel Davydov's defensive game, high-level awareness and face-off acumen give him a strong shot to make it on an NHL bottom 6.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW Sandis Vilmanis, Lulea J20, Sweden Jr.

My favorite Latvian export for the 2022 draft is a 6'1-195 winger who oozes skill. Though a pedestrian statistical draft-eligible season (32 points in 40 games) has left him off most draft radars, Vilmanis is one of those prospects for whom the scouting story dwarfs the production levels.

In Vilmanis, we have a big kid who not only skates very well, but also has the ability to handle the puck at high levels while at top speeds. I'd say his hands and puckhandling top his skill-set -- this is a kid who can really dangle the disc. But he's also a very adept passer who has a hard shot with a nice, quick release. All of his offensive tools grade as plus tools, which combined with his size and skating give him the potential as a middle-six forward at the highest levels.

Though Vilmanis has a very good compete level, he's a bit enigmatic in that he also struggles with consistency. He is a player who can get frustrated if things don't go his way, leaving him puck-chasing and essentially invisible for large stretches of games. Because the compete is good and the awareness is solid, I feel his problems are all things which can be ironed out through coaching and development. Vilmanis also has trouble defending, but for a forward, this is also a trait which can be instilled in the development process.

I have high hopes for Sandis Vilmanis. He's raw and you're probably going to have to wait a half-decade for him, but this is certainly a prospect worth a flyer in the 6th/7th rounds. He's just got too many NHL-quality attributes to dismiss on draft day.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
LD Filip Nordberg, Sodertalje J20, Sweden Jr.
When you first set your eyes on Nordberg, you see a 6'4-210 defenseman who looks like he can crush anyone else on the ice surface. Well, what you see is pretty much what you get here. Like with many big, defense-first blue liners, Nordberg has many benefits to a line-up, but also comes with ample limitations.

You're drafting Nordberg for his defense and physicality. He's usually the strongest player on the ice, and has little difficulty winning board battles and crease conflicts. Once he gets the puck, he prefers the simple outlet pass or chip up the boards. His compete is very good, and I'd say his defensive awareness and positioning are plusses, as well. In his own zone, Nordberg gets the job done, and he does it with no small amount of authority.

Nordberg's areas of needed improvement are about what you would expect. He's an average skater, which limits his effectiveness against the rush. Nordberg has problems defending against speed, and this is an area he simply must address, as the game gets faster at each higher level going upwards. Similarly, Nordberg is never going to be an offensive weapon. He's fine with the puck, not a liability, but he's never going to be a big point producer or offensive weapon at any level.

Because of his 6'4-210 frame, good defense and physicality, Nordberg has certainly been noticed more by NHL scouting teams than by draft analysts. I would not be surprised if he went has high as the 3rd round in the 2022 draft, though a safer estimate would be the 4th/5th round range for the 2022 draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LW/RW Ruslan Gazizov, London OHL

I was recently asked why I did not rank Gazizov in my spring top 100, and had to explain that, despite the potential, I have many concerns. But I'm writing the young, Russian forward up now because he certainly has the upside of a regular spot in an NHL line-up. Obviously, the consensus sees this -- Gazizov has been ranked as high as #61, and this in the most important ranking -- Bob McKenzie's NHL scout poll. He's also garnered several 3rd round rankings, so clearly this is a prospect who cannot be dismissed.

Gazizov did not tear it up statistically for the Knights, with just 28 points in 52 games, but he certainly possesses a good deal of offensive skill. He's got a great set of hands and extraordinary hand-eye coordination. This is a kid who is expert at deflections and can pick pucks out of the air with exceptional acuity. This lends itself to his plus puckhandling, and Gazizov is also a good shooter and passer.

Gazizov has a boxy frame at 5'11-190, and I'm not certain if this affects his overall athleticism. He's not the quickest skater, and I feel he has lethargic feet which limit his overall explosiveness. While his frame also gives him a strong base and makes him difficult to knock off the puck, often his first few strides look like he's slogging through mud.

I think I'd be higher on Gazizov if he showed a higher compete level, but he can play even slower than his skating issues. Sometimes he just floats, and shows the propensity to be a passenger for many shifts in a row. Though he certainly has NHL skills and very good potential, I feel he will be overdraft in the 2nd/3rd round. Gazizov is one of those draft picks who can make you look silly for both drafting him and passing on him. I would draft him, but not until rounds 6 or 7, and he'll be long gone by then.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Michael Mastrodomenico, Lincoln USHL

The top question I've been asked about the 2022 draft revolves around sleeper RD, and as such we need to be talking about this young Quebecois rearguard. We can define Mastrodomenico as a defense-first defenseman, but he's actually an intriguing prospect on multiple levels who is far from the plodding stereotype of stay-at-home guys.

Mastrodomenico is 6'2-195 and skates extremely well. This combination alone will see him drafted, as big and mobile right defensemen are extremely coveted come draft day. He is extremely physical and loves to play the body and hit. He's a punishing guy to play against, and smaller and softer USHL forwards tend to get off their game, avoiding the interior entirely when Mastrodomenico is on the ice. I'd say Mastrodomenico is very good defensively, though he's still a bit raw in terms of general positioning and gaps. However, he shows strong defensive awareness on the whole and will have at least a few years to hone his game at a very good program for Notre Dame in the NCAA.

Offensively, Mastrodomenico is never going to be a huge point-producer, but he is certainly adept with the puck, and actually quite good in transition. Though he possesses swift skates, his hands are a bit heavy. He's an efficient and smart passer, though by no means a playmaker or creator. I'd like to see improvement in his shot, as his mechanics need a bit of work. However, Mastrodomenico loves to shoot and will fire from anywhere in the O-zone. Again, his major offensive strength is in transition, as his long reach and great skating allow him to be a force leading the rush up ice.

Michael Mastrodomenico is certainly further below the radar than his abilities warrant. I'd certainly look at him in the 4th round, where he should be available since no one of any notoriety has really ranked him anywhere. His potential is as a very effective bottom-4 pairing with a more offensive-minded defender, and considering how late he is likely to be available he represents a great potential draft-day value.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Oskar Asplund, Almtuna Allvenskan

There is no doubt this is a player with an NHL-capable skill set. Asplund is a 5'11-170 defenseman with a high hockey IQ, a great deal of offensive awareness, good playmaking skills and a some nifty puckhandling capabilities. However, there are also a bunch of flags here which would make me reticent to draft him despite the fact he's received a bit of attention leading up to the 2022 draft.

I've watched Asplund a few times, and every time he's frustrated me. His compete level is very lax, unless the puck is on his stick. I'm really not sure why he's not a forward. Even in his own zone, he shows very limited battle in the corners and in puck-battles. The assumption would be that a 5'11 defender playing in a league like Allvenskan where he's on the younger side would compensate for the size/age deficits by outworking the opposition, but with Asplund it often seems like he's just coasting out there.

Asplund is a good but not great skater, and his offensive upside is as a bottom-4/2PP guy. I do not believe Asplund's offensive abilities are enough to make up for the defensive and compete concerns. I feel he has the potential to play professionally, but it will more likely be the SHL than the NHL.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Jackson Dorrington, Des Moines USHL

At first glance, Dorrington is a legit NHL prospect. He's 6'2-190 and skates very well in space. He's strong and athletic, and usually comes out the visitor in board battles and one-on-one puck contests. His offensive skills are, taken under the microscope, all good enough to aspire to an NHL career.

The concerns about Dorrington arise when you watch him awhile. Though his top speeds are very impressive, his skating mechanics need work as his acceleration and edgework are both problematic. He's not only a bit slow to get his feet moving, but he also seems to lack awareness and anticipation, as he is often slow to react to the play. This is further complicated by his rawness and the fact that his positioning and gaps both need a great deal of improvement.

Dorrington is a talented raw prospect, however, and the Massachusetts native will have four years to develop in a very good program at Northeastern University. If he can refine several aspects of his game, Jackson Dorrington has NHL potential, and as such I would not be surprised to hear his name called in the 6th or 7th round.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I tried looking up Zach Bookman to see where he is projected to go and I was kind of surprised . Somethig like 250th for NA skaters…
He is small, sub 6’ RHD but he broke Makars records in Brooks playimg for the Bandits. However , like usual , the Bandita are stacked and destroy whoever they play so it hard to know how much he is a product of bei g surrounded by good players playif agajnst much weaker opposition . I have watched him play and he is good but doesn’t dominate as much as I thought he would given his point totals

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RD Kent Anderson, Green Bay USHL

Good late-round picks are more difficult at RD than perhaps any other position. There tends to be a premium on these players, and as such many go higher in the NHL Draft than warranted by their talent level. Kent Anderson's lack of any particular standout skill might actually drop him to the 5th-7th rounds, where he would be a safe and heady selection. Quite simply, Anderson is a 6'3-200 pound defenseman who skates well and lacks any alarming weakness to his game.

Anderson is one of the bigger players in the USHL, and he uses his size to his advantage. He uses his physicality to win puck and board battles and clear creases, but is not an overly nasty player. He is a good skater who can keep up, and once he gets going his long strides eat up a lot of ice rapidly. He's a pretty good passer and he's capable with the puck on his stick.

Defensively, Anderson can certainly use some refinement, but he shows pretty commendable defensive instincts. Because of his strength and mobility, it is probably on the defensive side of the puck where the Calgary native displays the most upside. But he's not invisible offensively -- he is willing to join the rush in transition, and can make some clever pinches in the offensive zone when necessary.

Anderson's upside is probably as a 3rd pairing NHL defender, but I'd also say he has a rather high probability of reaching this upside. He's heading to a terrific program at the University of Denver, and I think we'll see some impressive improvements across the board. For the Devils, this is certainly a player to look at late in the 2022 draft.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I tried looking up Zach Bookman to see where he is projected to go and I was kind of surprised . Somethig like 250th for NA skaters…
He is small, sub 6’ RHD but he broke Makars records in Brooks playimg for the Bandits. However , like usual , the Bandita are stacked and destroy whoever they play so it hard to know how much he is a product of bei g surrounded by good players playif agajnst much weaker opposition . I have watched him play and he is good but doesn’t dominate as much as I thought he would given his point totals
Zach Bookman is a double-over-ager playing in a very young league, which gives him a clear advantage over the competition. This is where stats can sometimes be overstated.

However, 102 points in 55 games for a defender does not represent simply "good stats" -- these are ridiculous, video-game numbers. Looking closer, I'd say Bookman has very good skating, playmaking and shooting skills. But he's also not elite in any category, and at 5'10-175, this could limit his effectiveness in the higher levels.

Bookman is actually a local kid, he's from Syracuse. I wouldn't be surprised if some team took a flyer on him in the 7th round. He's headed to Merrimack College in the fall.

As a Devils guy, this is not a player I'd probably draft. I would, however, monitor his career at Merrimack if he did not get drafted with the idea that maybe he'd make a nice tryout candidate in the future.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Bookman? Is he related to the library cop?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
2022 Draft Prospects:

RD Artyom Barabosha, Krasnaya Moskva MHL

Though I try to keep my prospect evaluations impartial and neutral, simply focusing on the individual abilities and potential of the prospect, with Artyom Barabosha it's going to be impossible to do this without plugging him as a perfect guy for the Devils in the late rounds of the 2022 draft.

Barabosha is a 6'2-190 punishing physical defender who also features good mobility, strong top speeds and extremely competent capability with the puck. His physicality is the first feature you notice -- he's always playing the body in tight, utilizing smart shoulder-checks and high-end strength to separate the opposition from the puck and win one-on-one battles along the boards and in the crease. He also loves the open-ice hit, and he's a guy opposing forwards cannot have their head down around whenever Barabosha is on the ice.

Positionally and in his gaps, I'd say Barabosha is good -- showing nice defensive awareness -- but can still use work if he will fulfill his utmost potential as a mid-pairing, shut down defender at the NHL level. Where Barabosha really goes from "impressive defender" to "intriguing upside" is when you watch him with the puck.

Unlike most defense-first defenders, Barabosha is actually pretty aggressive, both in transition and in the offensive zone. He's a deceptively good puck-carrier with a good number of dekes and moves to avoid opponents in the neutral zone. In the O-zone, Barabosha is not afraid to jump in assertively to join the play. If he sees an opportunity, he'll skate in deeper from the point, looking for a one-timer. Individually, I'd say Barabosha's offensive arsenal is good-but-not-great -- he can shoot and pass effectively, but neither are high-end abilities.

I'd say Barabosha's ultimate ceiling is a mid-pair, physical shut-down guy who can maybe hit the 30-point plateau. This is an extremely valuable commodity at the NHL level. I'd also say his defensive acumen and physicality, combined with his skating also give him quite a reasonable floor. So, when I say Artyom Barabosha is a huge steal for the 2022 draft, it's because he's not ranked by anyone. When we also factor in the New Russian Factor and the chances that all Russian prospects slip in the oncoming draft, we're talking about a kid who could be available in the 5th thru 7th rounds. This would be a huge value, as I would consider Barabosha a very good pick as early as the 3rd round.
Steve, after Slaf I'm happy with 3-4 RHD, based on your reviews! And there's a need!

Reactions: StevenToddIves

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Btw do we have all our picks? How about extras? I'm too lazy to search.

I think if we get Slafkovsky with our first we pick at least two RDs with the rest and a goalie in the 3-5 round range. If there's a true BPA or high ceiling guy falling (like Räty last year) I'm all for that even if we end up picking 7 centers. But the main plan should be stacking the RD slot, picking 1 goalie and a winger or two.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Btw do we have all our picks? How about extras? I'm too lazy to search.

I think if we get Slafkovsky with our first we pick at least two RDs with the rest and a goalie in the 3-5 round range. If there's a true BPA or high ceiling guy falling (like Räty last year) I'm all for that even if we end up picking 7 centers. But the main plan should be stacking the RD slot, picking 1 goalie and a winger or two.

Your laziness is appalling. Cap Friendly has a chart with our picks.

here’s a link.

Spoilers: We don’t have all our picks, we gave Buffalo our 5th (#133) to take Butcher. (Damn, so close.)

We got the Islander’s 4th (#104) for Palms & Zajac in the 2021 April trade.
We got Edmonton’s 4th (#118) for Kulikov in the 2021 TDL deal.
We got Columbus’s 5th (#140) for Kinkaid in the 2019 TDL deal.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Your laziness is appalling. Cap Friendly has a chart with our picks.
Thanks so much, didn't even know that capfriendly shows draft picks. Complete forgot about those 4th rounders, we're pretty stacked there. That's the round to pick the goalie. I tried looking at players (especially RD) that could be still available in the 4th, but for every #100 ranking they had, someone else had them at #30. Media especially seems to have pretty mixed views who is a 2nd round talent and who 4th round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steve, after Slaf I'm happy with 3-4 RHD, based on your reviews! And there's a need!
Well, I've been trying to highlight RD in my prospect write-ups. Of course, Nemec, Jiricek and Chesley will all be gone in the 1st round -- while Rinzel, Lamoureux and Warren won't last too much longer. I'm trying to find some mid-round guys like Mastrodomenico and Barabosha and late round guys like Anderson to highlight as I work through my final 2022 write-ups.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks so much, didn't even know that capfriendly shows draft picks. Complete forgot about those 4th rounders, we're pretty stacked there. That's the round to pick the goalie. I tried looking at players (especially RD) that could be still available in the 4th, but for every #100 ranking they had, someone else had them at #30. Media especially seems to have pretty mixed views who is a 2nd round talent and who 4th round.
Here's my RD by round probability:

Nemec, Jiricek: top 5 overall
Chesley: top 15 overall
Luneau, Nelson: late first round

2nd round:
Casey
Salomonsson
Havelid
Lamoureux
Rinzel

3rd round:
Warren
Janssen
Salin
Kyrou

4th round or later:
Barabosha
Mastrodomenico
Anderson
Weir
Healey
Fisher
Sapunov
Siepmann
Kulonummi
Brown
Leddy
Muir
Sarsland

I can't think of anyone else, but maybe something will come to me later. It's also important to note that I would not draft a lot of these players will they will probably go. No way on earth I take Nelson in the 1st or Salomonsson as early as the 2nd. Right now, my RD ranking would look something like this:

1 Jiricek
2 Nemec
3 Casey
4 Luneau
5 Rinzel
6 Lamoureux
7 Warren
8 Barabosha
9 Mastrodomenico
10 Casey
11 Fisher
12 Havelid
13 Nelson
14 Leddy
15 Salomonsson
16 Kulonummi
17 Anderson
18 Siepmann
19 Muir
20 Salin

I believe it's possible -- even if the Devils take Slafkovsky #2 overall as expected -- NJ can get two RDs in the 4-9 range on my list. My biggest draft day fear is actually wasting our 2nd rounder on a high-upside, awful-at-defending guy like Nelson or Salomonsson. I'm crossing my fingers the Devils scouts are smart enough to avoid them.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Well, I've been trying to highlight RD in my prospect write-ups. Of course, Nemec, Jiricek and Chesley will all be gone in the 1st round -- while Rinzel, Lamoureux and Warren won't last too much longer. I'm trying to find some mid-round guys like Mastrodomenico and Barabosha and late round guys like Anderson to highlight as I work through my final 2022 write-ups.
Keep up the great work. I hope Fitz lands a bunch of these needed players. Warren, Lamoureux, Barabosha
Make it like that year they went heavy on LHD

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Have you been reading my (incessant, sorry) pimping of Sykora for months? I can't get enough of this kid -- he's just a terrific young talent. My #35 ranking of the young Slovakian is probably as high as you'll find, or close. But I expect him to move up on a lot of peoples' boards by the final rankings.

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

LD Daniil Orlov, Sakhalinskiye MHL

The best place to find under-the-radar defenders -- both this year and pretty much for the past half-decade -- has been in the MHL. 2022 is no different, with myriad great prospects who could be available even later in the draft than usual, due to the New Russian Factor and the difficulty of scouting the league this year.

In Orlov, you have everything you want for a future potential bottom-4 stalwart. He's a projectable 6'2-180 and skates very well. While many 6'0+ defenders his age have a very difficult time defending against speed, with Orlov this is not a problem. Orlov is silky on his skates, gliding up and down the ice and able to quickly maneuver with strong 4-way mobility.

Defense is the hallmark of Orlov's game. He's strong pretty much in all facets of his defensive game: one-on-one, gaps, positioning, stick activity, anticipation, you name it. I really don't see a weakness which would inhibit his ability to transition to the NHL, and when that is combined with his size and mobility you have an extremely high-floor defenseman, especially considering his likely draft position as late as the 4th/5th rounds.

Offensively and with the puck, Orlov is an A-B-C defenseman: protect against offense, attain the puck, release the puck. He's not creative or flashy, but with his simple style of play, it is very effective. If Orlov does not immediately see a safe pass on the outlet, he'll chip the puck up the boards. If Orlov does not see a clear entry, he'll dump in. In the offensive zone, he's an efficient enough passer to find the open man and hit them, but his overwhelming preference is to just fire the puck. Orlov's greatest singular skill is certainly his shot -- it's a real bomb from the point. I'd say he has double-digit goal potential at the NHL level, though I don't foresee him ever becoming a 40+ point guy due to the simplicity of his game.

There's nothing not to like here. Orlov is a strong defender who can positively affect your team in all three zones without blowing the doors off in terms of offensive danger. He'll be a high value pick anywhere after the mid-3rd round. This is a very good hockey player.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Draft Profile:

RW Ben Hemmerling, Everett WHL

Here we have a small forward who has garnered enough attention to attain a handful of top 100 rankings despite a stature which I feel is quite generously listed as 5'10-160. Hemmerling is a worker bee who displays great hustle and intelligence and put up respectable scoring totals of 47 points in 57 games. The question is if there is top 6 upside, and whether his slight stature will negatively affect his ability to transition into a bottom-6 role.

My main question with Hemmerling is his lack of high-end skating or offensive skills. Though he is solid in both respects, neither are particularly eye-opening to any discernible degree. I'd feel more confident projecting him for a future NHL roster if he had that extra gear or were a bot bigger, though it's possible a good physical trainer can build up his core strength enough to improve in both areas. I'm not ruling out an NHL possibility here, but the more likely scenario is a future AHL player. He's probably a player who will be available very late on draft day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad