2022 Draft Discussion (after the trade)

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Mateychuk - basically the only LHD in the first half of the first round, in the area we likely draft. The rest are all RD.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I thought last draft there was a 25% chance we'd trade the 1st round pick for something immediate. For this coming 2022, i think it's the other way around -- 75% chance it's traded. Unless there's an elite LHD with size (currently not) or an elite goalie (IDK) around where we pick....i see it going in a package for something good.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I thought last draft there was a 25% chance we'd trade the 1st round pick for something immediate. For this coming 2022, i think it's the other way around -- 75% chance it's traded. Unless there's an elite LHD with size (currently not) or an elite goalie (IDK) around where we pick....i see it going in a package for something good.
Agreed. I named Mateychuk on the assumption we use the pick, although I think he likely goes too early for us. Personally I’d trade the pick and go for a decent goaltender in the 2nd. We definitely need another quality over quantity draft.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Just for some light reading, here are some articles:

My best guess is we'll be picking in that 15-20 range. I think our best-case scenario is an elite scoring winger falls in the draft a bit. A couple guys I like are Isaac Howard, Frank Nazar, and Cutter Gauthier. Cutter's already 6'3 195 at age 18, a physical goal-scoring winger. From Scouching regarding Cutter:

Cutter Gauthier is one of the more fun players in this group, let alone much of the draft. He's quick, his hands are quicker, and he can deceive with that quickness before pulling pucks wide to drive around defenders. His shot selection is more volume based, and his passing in transition offensively can be a mixed bag, but there are many flashes of really impressive talent with Gauthier and by the end of the year he could be higher on my list than the early 20s.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I'm assuming we get a LHD. Maybe a goalie. Im unfamiliar with our G prospects, do we have any promising future starters?

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Just for some light reading, here are some articles:

My best guess is we'll be picking in that 15-20 range. I think our best-case scenario is an elite scoring winger falls in the draft a bit. A couple guys I like are Isaac Howard, Frank Nazar, and Cutter Gauthier. Cutter's already 6'3 195 at age 18, a physical goal-scoring winger. From Scouching regarding Cutter:

"Cutter Gauthier" is a fantastic hockey name.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
I'm not expecting us to draft until the 2nd round....Do we have a list of those dudes. :)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I can't imagine we make a mid-1st pick. Almost positive it gets traded UNLESS the team feels they're getting a top-5/10 guy on their list dropping. Otherwise I would guess we either trade up or trade out. We have MORE tahn enough quantity, time to consolidate for some quality, or liquidate for more picks/assets to spread out the age stratification.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I can't imagine we make a mid-1st pick. Almost positive it gets traded UNLESS the team feels they're getting a top-5/10 guy on their list dropping. Otherwise I would guess we either trade up or trade out. We have MORE tahn enough quantity, time to consolidate for some quality, or liquidate for more picks/assets to spread out the age stratification.
I liked last years strategy and hope they repeat it, given the bloated state of the prospect list. Walk away with 3 or 4 guys at the top of their list in rounds 2 and 3.

And I too would be very surprised if we have a 1st in 2022.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I liked last years strategy and hope they repeat it, given the bloated state of the prospect list. Walk away with 3 or 4 guys at the top of their list in rounds 2 and 3.

And I too would be very surprised if we have a 1st in 2022.

Was really thinking pretty much exactly that. Grab 2-3 of 'your guys' and maybe a couple of depth players just to keep the age range honest and systems stocked in various leagues. Trade a couple of prospects for future picks. Crazy year for the Kings to be drafting haha.

Reactions: BringTheReign

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Agreed. I named Mateychuk on the assumption we use the pick, although I think he likely goes too early for us. Personally I’d trade the pick and go for a decent goaltender in the 2nd. We definitely need another quality over quantity draft.
Goaltending is reaaaaaaaaaaaaallllly weak this year from everything I'm seeing in rankings. That could change but this isn't likely the year to pick one. Last year for sure, but this one is a pass. Of course, who knows what they turn out to be in a few years.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
This draft seems horrible from a Kings perspective lol. Draft seems to be dominated by centers and rhd which they don’t need more of. The wingers available will probably go high and only 1 real option for LHD at the moment. And no real high goalie prospects, definitely see them trading this first round pick.

Reactions: LAKings88

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Still a little sad we missed out on Wallstedt last year. Obviously, we need a promising goalie prospect sooner rather than later. Some more quality defenders would be nice as well. We've been pretty good about getting the players we've wanted for some time. I am fine with them trading picks though to move up or get roster players to help push things forward though rather than look for more futures.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Is the 2022 draft considered strong in any particular position?
How does it compare with 2020-21 in talent?

It's definitely less hyped than other drafts. Most notably, Shane Wright is considered to have an underwhelming season.

Plus, the WJC where some top prospects could have been more hyped, has been rescheduled till AFTER the draft.

Plus, the bigger hype is reserved for next year, with phenoms Bedard vs. Mitchkov.

I still dislike the term "weak"/"strong" draft. There's talent every year.

The forwards are drawing the most attention.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
It's definitely less hyped than other drafts. Most notably, Shane Wright is considered to have an underwhelming season.

Plus, the WJC where some top prospects could have been more hyped, has been rescheduled till AFTER the draft.

Plus, the bigger hype is reserved for next year, with phenoms Bedard vs. Mitchkov.

I still dislike the term "weak"/"strong" draft. There's talent every year.

The forwards are drawing the most attention.

Excellent assessment, especially this line.

I seen a few people bemoan the fact there isn't elite goalie talent in this draft and that maybe we shouldn't draft one because of it. The greatest goalie we've ever had was a 3rd rounder. Arguably the Vezina winner this year, Igor Shesterkin, was a 4th rounder, Ilya Sorokin was a 5th, etc. There is plenty of goalies in the NHL that went in rounds one or two, but plenty outside that range too. This is a fine year to throw a mid-round pick at a kid that's a long range project and let him marinate, preferably overseas.

Guys that I see LA targeting for forwards if they keep the pick that are in the area we're likely drafting are Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Marco Kasper and Isaac Howard. Cutter Gauthier too, but I think he's gone by the time we pick and could see him getting up into the top 10. It wouldn't surprise me if they grabbed a defenseman at all though still, and there are plenty in the range we're likely to pick.

LA seems to value character at least as much as skill in the higher picks under Blake (and under DL too) . Additionally, the picks have been heavily focused on NA and when they do venture into Europe it seems to be mainly Sweden and Finland. They have drafted one Russian under Blake and just two since 2014 so don't expect them to go there, especially in the top two rounds.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I say it's 50/50 we move the pick. If we make the playoffs (or management thinks we will when they trade it), I think we'll likely move it. If we stumble and fall down the stretch, we'll likely keep it. That said, we have a very deep prospect pool and we'll need to start sending out bodies at some point. Packaging a guy or two with that 1st would get a very nice return.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad