Prospect Info: 2022 Draft: #43 - Julian Lutz, LW

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
German hockey continues to improve. Leon Draisaitl is one of the best hockey players in the world. Moritz Seider was one of the best rookies in the NHL this season. And recent drafts have seen a number of young German players selected. The latest member of Germany’s golden generation of hockey players is Julian Lutz. Born in Weingarten, Germany, Lutz has come up through the Red Bull Hockey Academy, as the energy drink giants continue to grow their influence in European sports.

Reactions: sundance74

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Thinking back to Miroshnichenko’s big u18s that put him on my radar and now Lutz’s last u18s and I’m struck by how similar they are. Lutz is a lot like Miroshnichenko.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
His thread on the prospects board is a good read. Ups and downs, and some people saying he would have been a 1st round lock had he been able to play the full season this year.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Interesting that he says AZ talked to him the most, even after the injury. Scouts are certainly calling their shots and making some definitive picks, for better or worse.

Well looking at the Szuber pick it is quite clear that your scouts have spent a lot of time scouting Munich. I do not think Lutz is ready for AHL. Post draft season in the DEL, like Reichel and Peterka would benefit his development. He needs to add some strength and get playing time.

rt

May 13, 2004
Well looking at the Szuber pick it is quite clear that your scouts have spent a lot of time scouting Munich. I do not think Lutz is ready for AHL. Post draft season in the DEL, like Reichel and Peterka would benefit his development. He needs to add some strength and get playing time.
How would you compare/contrast him to to JJP/Reichel?

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
How would you compare/contrast him to to JJP/Reichel?
Well difficult to compare him to JJP/Reichel as they are different player types. Due to Covid and his injuries Lutz has not been able show his potential over longer periods of time which I believe slowed his development: I see him currently a year behind in his development.

The U20 tournament will be interesting - I hope he will be there.

Last edited:

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Another selection with a super impressive interview. Very focused, knows what he needs to work on, and wants to improve and be a special player. All of the above with some form of excitement/knowledge of the Coyotes Management team's plans to build a Stanley Cup Contender. Eerily similar to many of the other draft picks they selected.

There seems to be a brainwashing occurring in front of our eyes that ends with a Stanley Cup hoisted in the air......

I'd be interested to know if this season the entire team will be decked out in Blue suits upon their arrival to road games and home games.

BA: repeat after me......

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I absolutely love this pick, and watching his interview just made me like him that much more. Tons of personality, really smart, thoughtful, genuine. Not canned answers. Has a presence and confidence about him.

I think the floor is very high with this player. Absent injuries/surprises, this guy should play for sure. Great frame, one of the best pure athletes in terms of combine performance. Has a combination of power and finesse, and is reliable defensively. Whether he's only a bottom 6 or a top 6, it's hard to see this guy becoming a bust, and there's a lot of untapped upside given he missed a lot of time this year.

I expect that he'll remain in the DEL next year at what is a very good program, but he could play in the OHL which wouldn't be a bad option either (and if BA wants that, he can engineer a trade from the Greyhounds who own his rights to whichever team they feel would be best for his development). He'd be a man among boys from a physical perspective in that league, so there's the potential for him to dominate there while getting used to the NA game. I wonder if this is preferable to playing in Germany for 1-2 years followed by the AHL. Peterka played 1 year in the DEL before coming to the AHL, but he didn't miss all the development time Lutz did because of injuries. So it will be interesting to see what the BA plans for him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Lutz is a guy I really wanted to put in my top 50 but just couldn’t due to lack of playing. He’s a guy I knew id be thrilled if the Yotes drafted though because it would affirm things for me.

Sort of like passing on Wright or trading up for Geekie. These are all things I wouldn’t have been able to bring my self to do but am thrilled to see the Yotes do.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Transcribed quote on Lutz from HockeyProspect's Brad Allen on Julian Lutz from their SiriusXM draft preview show:

"Julian Lutz for me is right there with Gleb Trikozov in terms of dark horse potential at the forward position in this year's draft. What you saw this season was not the version I saw in the Alps hockey league. And when you're ranking this player, that might define how a team assesses him. In the Alps hockey league, he was much more consistent within his execution rates, and he was much more consistent with his overall pacing. He played a much heavier game. His back injury, I think really affected him when he came to the DEL this past season. From a technical perspective, when you look at his toolkit, it is incredibly high end. I personally think it's better than Cutter Gauthier's. I think if he played a very good and healthy season, we're talking about a potential top 15 pick, to give you an idea of the potential of this player. He's one of the most manipulative playmakers in this draft....he's so gifted at setting up slick passes that sometimes his own teammates can't even see what he's doing. And so it's one of those situations where I feel he didn't get to represent what he is, which is why he's as highly rated on our list as he is. I pounded the table for this player. I really, really like his game and I think he has tremendous pro upside."

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Transcribed quote on Lutz from HockeyProspect's Brad Allen on Julian Lutz from their SiriusXM draft preview show:

"Julian Lutz for me is right there with Gleb Trikozov in terms of dark horse potential at the forward position in this year's draft. What you saw this season was not the version I saw in the Alps hockey league. And when you're ranking this player, that might define how a team assesses him. In the Alps hockey league, he was much more consistent within his execution rates, and he was much more consistent with his overall pacing. He played a much heavier game. His back injury, I think really affected him when he came to the DEL this past season. From a technical perspective, when you look at his toolkit, it is incredibly high end. I personally think it's better than Cutter Gauthier's. I think if he played a very good and healthy season, we're talking about a potential top 15 pick, to give you an idea of the potential of this player. He's one of the most manipulative playmakers in this draft....he's so gifted at setting up slick passes that sometimes his own teammates can't even see what he's doing. And so it's one of those situations where I feel he didn't get to represent what he is, which is why he's as highly rated on our list as he is. I pounded the table for this player. I really, really like his game and I think he has tremendous pro upside."
Ugh my peen

• Haha
Reactions: YotesFan47

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Would have been cool to see him come over to the OHL this year. Soo Greyhounds drafted him in the import draft.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I dunno, based on what I've read about him, DEL seems like a great place for him to develop.

I almost wish more of our prospects could spend time in European pro leagues (looking at you Guenther).

Reactions: jmelm

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I dunno, based on what I've read about him, DEL seems like a great place for him to develop.

I almost wish more of our prospects could spend time in European pro leagues (looking at you Guenther).

I know, it worked fine for JJ Peterka, but he’s also a higher end prospect and didn’t miss the kind of time Lutz did with injury. That’s why I felt that the CHL would be a nice & comfy way for him to get acclimated to the NA game.

And if, unlike Peterka, Lutz may not be ready or able for a seamless transition to the AHL, I hope he goes from the DEL to Finland for a year or two before before coming over.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Lutz not in the lineup today either. Not sure if he's injured or just being scratched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad