Prospect Info: 2022 Devils Centric Mock Draft 3.0 -- We won pick #2!!!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2022 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, 3.0 — We won the #2 overall pick!!! (Through Devils 2nd round pick, so keep reading...)

P.S.
Damn, I work fast. You're welcome, I accept pay in beer.

1. MTL: C Shane Wright, Kingston OHL tough to see the Habs getting creative here, when they can envision a quick rebuild around an elite C duo of Wright/Suzuki
  2. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: LW Juraj Slafkovsky, TPS Finland it’s my conviction this choice comes down to Slafkovsky vs. Jiricek, both rare talents who offer precisely what the Devils need. Here, I have them opting for a rare combination of talent in Slafkovsky — a 6’4-220 beast down low and in the crease who also offers elite playmaking and puck skills. The idea of a future top line with Hughes centering Slafkovsky and Bratt is simply sublime.
  3. ARI: C Logan Cooley, US-NTDP the Coyotes finally get the #1 center they’ve needed for seemingly ever; Cooley is a speed-demon with dynamic offensive abilities and a complete all-around game.
  4. SEA: RD David Jiricek, HC Plzen Czechia having taken a franchise caliber C last year in Beniers, the Kraken tap a franchise defender in the 6’3, physical beast with a howitzer shot and a rare combination of power, mobility and puck-skills.
  5. PHI: RD Simon Nemec, HK Nitra Slovakia the Flyers’ entire blueline needs an upgrade, and they have no offensive D with the ability of Nemec, who is also a superlative defender with elite puck-moving skills
  6. CLB: C Conor Geekie, Winnipeg WHL the Blue Jackets are desperate for a top-line center and also always draft big; the 6’4 Geekie has elite shooting and puck-skills, but his compete level and two-way game need to be greatly honed in order to reach his stratospheric upside.
  7. OTT: RW Joakim Kemell, JYP Finland years of high drafting have loaded up the Senators, but they lack a pure sniper of Kemell’s elite capabilities; Kemell also features a high-end motor and very solid complete game
  8. DET: RW/C Frank Nazar, US-NTDP GM Steve Yzerman loves drafting the high-compete/high-IQ guys, and Nazar also adds to this a dynamic offensive skill set and deceptively good interior game
  9. BUF: C Matt Savoie, Winnipeg WHL one of the top pure offensive talents in the 2022 class, Buffalo would love to add more high-end skill to a very promising future top 6 alongside high-end youngsters like Cozens, Krebs, Quinn and Peterka.
  10. ANH: LW Cutter Gauthier, US-NTDP the Ducks love drafting the big/tough guys, and Gauthier may be the best pure power F in the 2022 class; plays like a lost Tkachuk brother and features a bomb of a shot
  11. SJ: RW/C Brad Lambert, Pelicans Finland Lambert is a top 3 talent with perhaps the best combination of skating and puck skills in the class; questions about compete and consistency could drop him out of the top 10 and San Jose has a huge need to juice up the high-end skill level for their future top 6
  12. CLB: RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Djurgardens Sweden the best pure sniper in the draft aside from Kemell, Lekkerimaki would take a bit of the scoring heat off Laine and make the Blue Jackets more offensively explosive on the whole
  13. NYI: RD Ryan Chesley, US-NTDP right up GM Lou Lamoriello’s alley is a player like Chesley — the best shut-down defender in the draft who also is quite competent with the puck and features a rocket-launcher shot from the point
  14. WPG: C Rutger McGroarty, US-NTDP a sublime scorer with a nasty streak and outstanding two-way game, McGroarty is the penultimate “everything but speed” forward; the Jets might lose Scheifele in the next season and lack anything up the middle on the farm
  15. VAN: C Marco Kasper, Rogle Sweden the Canucks need more center depth and this lightning-fast young Austrian is a physical, two-way beast up the middle
  16. BUF: LW/C Jiri Kulich, HC Karlovy Czechia no player improved their stock more at the U-18 tourney than Kulich, who was probably the best player in the event; Kulich offers an elite combination of skill, compete level and hockey IQ and could rise even higher than this.
  17. NSH: LD Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw OHL no team develops defenders quite like Nashville, which is on the verge of needing another injection of youth for the blueline. Mintyukov is the top LD for 2022 and might be the top offensive defender altogether, but needs work on his 200-foot game.
  18. DAL: LW/RW Danila Yurov, Magnitogorsk KHL how far will the Russians fall due to the conflict in Ukraine? Yurov is a physical, high-compete, all-purpose, top 6 winger who would be a top 10 pick in normal circumstances, but a Stars team which is desperate for scorers would love to find him here.
  19. LA: LD Kevin Korchinski, Seattle WHL the Kings are stacked with perhaps the top prospect pool in the entire NHL; as such they can afford to wait on the enormous potential of the still-raw Korchinski, a speedy 6’2 defender with high-end passing vision and puck skills
  20. WSH: C/RW Nathan Gaucher, Quebec QMJHL the Caps love their power forwards, and Gaucher plays a high-compete game with a large nasty-streak; he’s also a very good scorer and one of the 2022 class’ best face-off men
  21. PIT: RW Filip Mesar, HK Poprad Slovakia the Pens are on a relentless quest for high-talent wings to pair with Crosby and Malkin; Mesar is a speedy winger with high-end skill across the board despite lacking any singular elite talent
  22. EDM: LW Liam Ohgren, Djurgardens Sweden the Oilers are on a relentless quest for high-talent wings to pair with McDavid and Draisaitl; Ohgren is a big-bodied, high-compete winger with very good skills across the board despite lacking any singular elite talent
  23. ANH: LD Owen Pickering, Swift Current WHL the Ducks need tons of bolstering so far as organizational LD talent, and Pickering fits their profile as a rangy, 6’5 D with outstanding skating and some pretty intriguing offensive upside.
  24. STL: RW Jimmy Snuggerud, US-NTDP the Blues love their big, physical forwards and Snuggerud compliments this with a combination of 2RW-type offensive upside and maybe the best overall defensive play of any winger on the US-NTDP
  25. TB: LW Ian Howard, US-NTDP another player who skyrocketed their stock at the U18 tournament, Howard is a bit undersized but a tremendous finisher and playmaker who excels alongside the type of top-end talent prevalent in the Lightning line-up
  26. NYR: C Filip Bystedt, Linkoping Sweden Jr. the Rangers’ most pressing need is up the middle and the new front office loves size/strength, so the 6’4 Bystedt is a reasonable expectation for a team which loves to draft out of Sweden
  27. MIN: RD Tristan Luneau, Gatineau QMJHL the top Wild need may be at RD, and the two-way Luneau is a jack-of-all-trades who projects perfectly to an NHL middle pair with a very high floor
  28. TOR: RW Gleb Trikozov, Omskie MHL the Leafs use the unrest in Russia to swing for the fences with the high end talent of Trikozov, a magician with the puck who also features an elite hockey IQ
  29. MTL: LW Ivan Miroshnichenko, Omskie VHL speaking of swinging for the fences, with a trio of picks in the top 33 the Habs can afford to take a chance on the top-3-type talent of Miro, who may be a risk due to illness and the New Russian Factor, but also offers superstar-type upside
  30. ARI: RD Elias Salomonsson, Skelleftea Sweden Jr. the Coyotes need to bolster pretty much every area in the organization. It’s a safe bet they’ll go for a center at #3, which leaves a defenseman very possible with one of their pair of later picks int he 1st round. Salomonsson is unbelievably talented, though his hockey IQ and compete level have been questioned.
  31. ARI: LD Denton Mateychuk, Moose Jaw WHL the Coyotes can fill another need at LD with Mateychuk, a speedy and skilled, competitive and smart two-way defender who checks every box but for size
  32. BUF: C Owen Beck, Mississauga OHL one of my favorites for the 2022 draft, the speedy and high-compete Beck is always the most noticeable player on the ice; he’s also a shut-down defender with high-end offensive capability — a can’t-miss steal anywhere after #25 overall
  33. MTL: RD Maveric Lamoureux, Drummondville QMJHL the Habs build the future blueline with a towering, 6’7 local product who loves to bash bodies and also features excellent skating and puck skills, especially for a man his size
  34. ARI: RW Jagger Firkus, Moose Jaw WHL needing scoring at every level, the Coyotes would be thrilled with the flashy and dynamic but slightly-undersized Firkus, who absolutely lit up the WHL all season long
  35. SEA: RW Alexander Perevalov, Loko Yaroslavl MHL the Kraken need high-end wingers, and Perevalov may be the most under-rated player for the entire 2022 class; a high-compete/high-IQ player with elite skills across the board, were he also an elite skater he might be universally considered where I’ve ranked him… at #8 overall
  36. PHI: C/LW Jack Hughes, Northeastern University NCAA not to be confused with our Jack Hughes, this one is still extremely impressive in his own right; a high-compete and versatile two-way forward with high-end passing acumen and a dagger-sharp hockey sense
  37. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: RD Sam Rinzel, Waterloo USHL if the Devils take a D at #2, I’d expect them to go F here. But, as in this scenario I have them opting for Slafkovsky, the Devils are going to be hard-pressed to find a RD in the 2nd round. Rinzel would be a shoot-for-the-moon type pick, as he’s 6’4 and has excellent offensive skill and dynamic skating ability. However, he’s still a bit raw and unproven at the higher levels, so this would be a high-upside type pick with a modicum of risk attached, as well.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So cross our fingers that one of Lamoureux or Mateychuk fall to us at #37? That’s a pretty big run on RD from #27 on. Hopefully one of them drop.
Mateychuk is a LD.

I have the Devils taking Rinzel in the 2nd round, whom I actually prefer slightly to Lamoureux. He's faster and more skilled with the puck, though Lamoureux is bigger and more physical.

I'm also very high on RD Noah Warren, who could conceivably drop to the 3rd round.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Interesting that you don't have Noah Ostlund anywhere in this mock, I'd be surprised if he isn't a top 20 pick and he might end up fighting for a top 10 slot in my personal rankings.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Interesting that you don't have Noah Ostlund anywhere in this mock, I'd be surprised if he isn't a top 20 pick and he might end up fighting for a top 10 slot in my personal rankings.
I love Ostlund, personally. I've compared him in these threads to Sebastian Aho. But I think his size concerns (as with Aho) could drop him out of the 1st round. For instance, the Rangers would be smart to take Ostlund #26, but in the new regime they have seemed to prefer larger players, so I went with Bystedt, who is not nearly as good as Ostlund.

I'd say he's a solid bet for the #30-#45 range, and how high hinges upon whether NHL teams foresee him staying up the middle or slotting to LW.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Mateychuk is a LD.

I have the Devils taking Rinzel in the 2nd round, whom I actually prefer slightly to Lamoureux. He's faster and more skilled with the puck, though Lamoureux is bigger and more physical.

I'm also very high on RD Noah Warren, who could conceivably drop to the 3rd round.
Steve, any chance Fitz likes the size he sees here at RHD and takes Lamoureux (2nd) and Warren (3rd) if they take Slav at 2OA? I mean there's nothing in the cupboard and Dougie/Sevs cant play forever! Even if they had to move up (gift something to Buf) to get Lamoureux (yeah I know he doesn't do that, but Schneider pick still haunts me)

Reactions: StevenToddIves

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Steve, any chance Fitz likes the size he sees here at RHD and takes Lamoureux (2nd) and Warren (3rd) if they take Slav at 2OA? I mean there's nothing in the cupboard and Dougie/Sevs cant play forever! Even if they had to move up (gift something to Buf) to get Lamoureux (yeah I know he doesn't do that, but Schneider pick still haunts me)
Dougie and Sevs will hopefully be very useful for the foreseeable future. If everything pans out the way it COULD, we can package our glut of B level prospects to address RD.

Reactions: Smitty426

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We have to look at pretty much every RD in the 2022 class as a possibility for the Devils, especially if they go with the most likely pick of Slafkovsky at #2 overall.

Lamoureux is a big possibility in the 2nd, as are Casey, Rinzel, Nelson and Salomonsson. Warren is a big possibility in the 3rd, and Fisher in the 4th.

Right now, I'd say a dream draft has the Devils taking something along these lines:

1 Slafkovsky
2 Lamoureux or Rinzel
3 Warren
4 A goalie prospect
4 A 3rd line center prospect
4 A sleeper

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
We have to look at pretty much every RD in the 2022 class as a possibility for the Devils, especially if they go with the most likely pick of Slafkovsky at #2 overall.

Lamoureux is a big possibility in the 2nd, as are Casey, Rinzel, Nelson and Salomonsson. Warren is a big possibility in the 3rd, and Fisher in the 4th.

Right now, I'd say a dream draft has the Devils taking something along these lines:

1 Slafkovsky
2 Lamoureux or Rinzel
3 Warren
4 A goalie prospect
4 A 3rd line center prospect
4 A sleeper
A sleeper as in, Zacha who plays like he’s sleeping? Or a prospect like Bratt who people are sleeping on? You need to be more specific…you’re better than this Ives

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
This would be a terrible mindset for the Devils’ office to use when considering who to take at #2, but I admit that my twisted “Philly must suffer” side is almost hoping we take Jiricek or Nemec just to ensure that the Flyers can’t get one of them.

I’m excited at the thought of Slaf working with Jack and Jesper, but my gut still wants a RD. Have to tell myself just to be happy regardless, either outcome is excellent for us.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
So doing a quick mock search online reveals a lot of people having the devils taking this cooley kid. i know hes a center and we dont "need" a center but still is cooley a better prospect then that winger? or d man?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This would be a terrible mindset for the Devils’ office to use when considering who to take at #2, but I admit that my twisted “Philly must suffer” side is almost hoping we take Jiricek or Nemec just to ensure that the Flyers can’t get one of them.

I’m excited at the thought of Slaf working with Jack and Jesper, but my gut still wants a RD. Have to tell myself just to be happy regardless, either outcome is excellent for us.
Philly also really needs a C in the system and more depth at LW, as well as RD. They'll be thrilled with several players who could become available at #5 overall.

imMagnum

Jan 10, 2017
Excellent write up as usual STI. Impressive year after year.

I have an extremely difficult time passing on Jiricek. A big, two-way RD with immense upside? That's the type of player you build your team around. An anchor of Luke + Jiricek for the majority of a decade sounds incredible. I may be overvaluing, but I can't help but get excited to potentially have the equivalent of a Seider + Edvinsson pair. Add on Jack up the middle and that's an insane foundation to build a dynasty on.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So doing a quick mock search online reveals a lot of people having the devils taking this cooley kid. i know hes a center and we dont "need" a center but still is cooley a better prospect then that winger? or d man?
No. If you check my rankings from mid-April, I have Cooley at #6, although it's close between... well, pretty much 1 through 6.

1 Wright
2 Slafkovsky
3 Jiricek
4 Nemec
5 Nazar
6 Cooley

But people who don't spend a lot of time watching the prospects themselves can sometimes fall in love with one ranker or analyst and then hold onto that opinion like a person with trouble swimming to a life preserver.

A broader context is sometimes necessary. Taking in a few simple facts:

1) Many of these rankings are so old they were made prior to the Olympics. Slafkovsky has clearly shot up, as has Nemec, in recent months. To wit, the McKenzie mid-season rankings (an NHL scout poll, generally accepted as the most accurate come draft day) were made in January -- with Cooley at 2, Slafkovsky at 5 and Nemec at 9. McKenzie released his new top 10 yesterday, with Slafkovsky at 2, Cooley at 3 and Nemec at 4.

2) Tom Fitzgerald has repeatedly stated a desire to make the Devils tougher to play against and more physical. While Cooley is a terrific player, he is no bigger than Hughes or Bratt and more comfortable on the perimeter and in space. Slafkovsky is winger who does his best work in the interior and down low, who plays a game which features his physicality and strength. Jiricek and Nemec are both outstanding defenders who can play physical.

3) We can talk "BPA" until we're blue in the face, but can we really see the Devils using the #2 overall pick for a likely future 3rd line center when the Devils lack an interior forward for the top of the line-up and a RD for the top of the line-up?

I'm a big fan of Logan Cooley, but I just don't see him in the running for the Devils at #2 overall. I'd say the safest bet is he goes to Arizona at #3.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I have an extremely difficult time passing on Jiricek. A big, two-way RD with immense upside? That's the type of player you build your team around. An anchor of Luke + Jiricek for the majority of a decade sounds incredible. I may be overvaluing, but I can't help but get excited to potentially have the equivalent of a Sieder + Edvinsson pair. Add on Jack up the middle and that's an insane foundation to build a dynasty on.
I also have a tough time passing on Jiricek -- he's been my very favorite prospect for the 2022 draft since pretty much 2020. But I also sometimes need to let go of my subjective slants and allow for context. As such, I have to concede that Nemec would also be a great pick at #2 and so would Slafkovsky, who also seems to be the most likely pick.

Thanks for the kind words, by the way -- they are greatly appreciated.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I have an extremely difficult time passing on Jiricek. A big, two-way RD with immense upside? That's the type of player you build your team around. An anchor of Luke + Jiricek for the majority of a decade sounds incredible. I may be overvaluing, but I can't help but get excited to potentially have the equivalent of a Sieder + Edvinsson pair. Add on Jack up the middle and that's an insane foundation to build a dynasty on.

Yup

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018

His stick handling, and stick handling only, reminds me a lot of Jagr. It looks like he can dangle with the puck 6 feet away from him.

Jaromir Jagr on Slafkovsky: Great player. I saw him last year when he played against us (Czech Republic) and I was like: "Who is this player? He plays exactly like me, so strong along the boards. I want him in my team." But then I realized that he's only 17 so I had no chance to get him.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
2022 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, 3.0 — We won the #2 overall pick!!! (Through Devils 2nd round pick, so keep reading...)

P.S.
Damn, I work fast. You're welcome, I accept pay in beer.

1. MTL: C Shane Wright, Kingston OHL tough to see the Habs getting creative here, when they can envision a quick rebuild around an elite C duo of Wright/Suzuki
  2. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: LW Juraj Slafkovsky, TPS Finland it’s my conviction this choice comes down to Slafkovsky vs. Jiricek, both rare talents who offer precisely what the Devils need. Here, I have them opting for a rare combination of talent in Slafkovsky — a 6’4-220 beast down low and in the crease who also offers elite playmaking and puck skills. The idea of a future top line with Hughes centering Slafkovsky and Bratt is simply sublime.
  3. ARI: C Logan Cooley, US-NTDP the Coyotes finally get the #1 center they’ve needed for seemingly ever; Cooley is a speed-demon with dynamic offensive abilities and a complete all-around game.
  4. SEA: RD David Jiricek, HC Plzen Czechia having taken a franchise caliber C last year in Beniers, the Kraken tap a franchise defender in the 6’3, physical beast with a howitzer shot and a rare combination of power, mobility and puck-skills.
  5. PHI: RD Simon Nemec, HK Nitra Slovakia the Flyers’ entire blueline needs an upgrade, and they have no offensive D with the ability of Nemec, who is also a superlative defender with elite puck-moving skills
  6. CLB: C Conor Geekie, Winnipeg WHL the Blue Jackets are desperate for a top-line center and also always draft big; the 6’4 Geekie has elite shooting and puck-skills, but his compete level and two-way game need to be greatly honed in order to reach his stratospheric upside.
  7. OTT: RW Joakim Kemell, JYP Finland years of high drafting have loaded up the Senators, but they lack a pure sniper of Kemell’s elite capabilities; Kemell also features a high-end motor and very solid complete game
  8. DET: RW/C Frank Nazar, US-NTDP GM Steve Yzerman loves drafting the high-compete/high-IQ guys, and Nazar also adds to this a dynamic offensive skill set and deceptively good interior game
  9. BUF: C Matt Savoie, Winnipeg WHL one of the top pure offensive talents in the 2022 class, Buffalo would love to add more high-end skill to a very promising future top 6 alongside high-end youngsters like Cozens, Krebs, Quinn and Peterka.
  10. ANH: LW Cutter Gauthier, US-NTDP the Ducks love drafting the big/tough guys, and Gauthier may be the best pure power F in the 2022 class; plays like a lost Tkachuk brother and features a bomb of a shot
  11. SJ: RW/C Brad Lambert, Pelicans Finland Lambert is a top 3 talent with perhaps the best combination of skating and puck skills in the class; questions about compete and consistency could drop him out of the top 10 and San Jose has a huge need to juice up the high-end skill level for their future top 6
  12. CLB: RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki, Djurgardens Sweden the best pure sniper in the draft aside from Kemell, Lekkerimaki would take a bit of the scoring heat off Laine and make the Blue Jackets more offensively explosive on the whole
  13. NYI: RD Ryan Chesley, US-NTDP right up GM Lou Lamoriello’s alley is a player like Chesley — the best shut-down defender in the draft who also is quite competent with the puck and features a rocket-launcher shot from the point
  14. WPG: C Rutger McGroarty, US-NTDP a sublime scorer with a nasty streak and outstanding two-way game, McGroarty is the penultimate “everything but speed” forward; the Jets might lose Scheifele in the next season and lack anything up the middle on the farm
  15. VAN: C Marco Kasper, Rogle Sweden the Canucks need more center depth and this lightning-fast young Austrian is a physical, two-way beast up the middle
  16. BUF: LW/C Jiri Kulich, HC Karlovy Czechia no player improved their stock more at the U-18 tourney than Kulich, who was probably the best player in the event; Kulich offers an elite combination of skill, compete level and hockey IQ and could rise even higher than this.
  17. NSH: LD Pavel Mintyukov, Saginaw OHL no team develops defenders quite like Nashville, which is on the verge of needing another injection of youth for the blueline. Mintyukov is the top LD for 2022 and might be the top offensive defender altogether, but needs work on his 200-foot game.
  18. DAL: LW/RW Danila Yurov, Magnitogorsk KHL how far will the Russians fall due to the conflict in Ukraine? Yurov is a physical, high-compete, all-purpose, top 6 winger who would be a top 10 pick in normal circumstances, but a Stars team which is desperate for scorers would love to find him here.
  19. LA: LD Kevin Korchinski, Seattle WHL the Kings are stacked with perhaps the top prospect pool in the entire NHL; as such they can afford to wait on the enormous potential of the still-raw Korchinski, a speedy 6’2 defender with high-end passing vision and puck skills
  20. WSH: C/RW Nathan Gaucher, Quebec QMJHL the Caps love their power forwards, and Gaucher plays a high-compete game with a large nasty-streak; he’s also a very good scorer and one of the 2022 class’ best face-off men
  21. PIT: RW Filip Mesar, HK Poprad Slovakia the Pens are on a relentless quest for high-talent wings to pair with Crosby and Malkin; Mesar is a speedy winger with high-end skill across the board despite lacking any singular elite talent
  22. EDM: LW Liam Ohgren, Djurgardens Sweden the Oilers are on a relentless quest for high-talent wings to pair with McDavid and Draisaitl; Ohgren is a big-bodied, high-compete winger with very good skills across the board despite lacking any singular elite talent
  23. ANH: LD Owen Pickering, Swift Current WHL the Ducks need tons of bolstering so far as organizational LD talent, and Pickering fits their profile as a rangy, 6’5 D with outstanding skating and some pretty intriguing offensive upside.
  24. STL: RW Jimmy Snuggerud, US-NTDP the Blues love their big, physical forwards and Snuggerud compliments this with a combination of 2RW-type offensive upside and maybe the best overall defensive play of any winger on the US-NTDP
  25. TB: LW Ian Howard, US-NTDP another player who skyrocketed their stock at the U18 tournament, Howard is a bit undersized but a tremendous finisher and playmaker who excels alongside the type of top-end talent prevalent in the Lightning line-up
  26. NYR: C Filip Bystedt, Linkoping Sweden Jr. the Rangers’ most pressing need is up the middle and the new front office loves size/strength, so the 6’4 Bystedt is a reasonable expectation for a team which loves to draft out of Sweden
  27. MIN: RD Tristan Luneau, Gatineau QMJHL the top Wild need may be at RD, and the two-way Luneau is a jack-of-all-trades who projects perfectly to an NHL middle pair with a very high floor
  28. TOR: RW Gleb Trikozov, Omskie MHL the Leafs use the unrest in Russia to swing for the fences with the high end talent of Trikozov, a magician with the puck who also features an elite hockey IQ
  29. MTL: LW Ivan Miroshnichenko, Omskie VHL speaking of swinging for the fences, with a trio of picks in the top 33 the Habs can afford to take a chance on the top-3-type talent of Miro, who may be a risk due to illness and the New Russian Factor, but also offers superstar-type upside
  30. ARI: RD Elias Salomonsson, Skelleftea Sweden Jr. the Coyotes need to bolster pretty much every area in the organization. It’s a safe bet they’ll go for a center at #3, which leaves a defenseman very possible with one of their pair of later picks int he 1st round. Salomonsson is unbelievably talented, though his hockey IQ and compete level have been questioned.
  31. ARI: LD Denton Mateychuk, Moose Jaw WHL the Coyotes can fill another need at LD with Mateychuk, a speedy and skilled, competitive and smart two-way defender who checks every box but for size
  32. BUF: C Owen Beck, Mississauga OHL one of my favorites for the 2022 draft, the speedy and high-compete Beck is always the most noticeable player on the ice; he’s also a shut-down defender with high-end offensive capability — a can’t-miss steal anywhere after #25 overall
  33. MTL: RD Maveric Lamoureux, Drummondville QMJHL the Habs build the future blueline with a towering, 6’7 local product who loves to bash bodies and also features excellent skating and puck skills, especially for a man his size
  34. ARI: RW Jagger Firkus, Moose Jaw WHL needing scoring at every level, the Coyotes would be thrilled with the flashy and dynamic but slightly-undersized Firkus, who absolutely lit up the WHL all season long
  35. SEA: RW Alexander Perevalov, Loko Yaroslavl MHL the Kraken need high-end wingers, and Perevalov may be the most under-rated player for the entire 2022 class; a high-compete/high-IQ player with elite skills across the board, were he also an elite skater he might be universally considered where I’ve ranked him… at #8 overall
  36. PHI: C/LW Jack Hughes, Northeastern University NCAA not to be confused with our Jack Hughes, this one is still extremely impressive in his own right; a high-compete and versatile two-way forward with high-end passing acumen and a dagger-sharp hockey sense
  37. NEW JERSEY DEVILS: RD Sam Rinzel, Waterloo USHL if the Devils take a D at #2, I’d expect them to go F here. But, as in this scenario I have them opting for Slafkovsky, the Devils are going to be hard-pressed to find a RD in the 2nd round. Rinzel would be a shoot-for-the-moon type pick, as he’s 6’4 and has excellent offensive skill and dynamic skating ability. However, he’s still a bit raw and unproven at the higher levels, so this would be a high-upside type pick with a modicum of risk attached, as well.
Slafkovsky in NJD and Jiricek isn’t goin to flyers is a perfect scenario.

Ducks with McTavish, Gauthier and Zegras are scary.

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Jaromir Jagr on Slafkovsky: Great player. I saw him last year when he played against us (Czech Republic) and I was like: "Who is this player? He plays exactly like me, so strong along the boards. I want him in my team." But then I realized that he's only 17 so I had no chance to get him.
Not sure if you’re sassing me with a made up quote or he really said this lol

Reactions: Guttersniped

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad