WJC: 2022 Czech Republic roster talk

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I really hope he continues to develop well and gets drafted in the 1st round. We need guys like that. Last d-man we had drafted in the first round was Roman Hamrlik at no.1 right?
We've had a few but it hasn't really worked out...

Ladislav Smid was 1st round
Jakub Zboril was 1st round
Rostislav Klesla was 1st round
Jakub Kindl was 1st round
Martin Vagner went in round 1 by Dallas in 2002 (never heard of him personally)
Lukas Krajicek was 1st round
Martin Skoula was 1st round
Stanislav Neckar was 1st round
Jiri Fischer was 1st round

Musil and Masin were also taken very early in round 2.

Looking at that list, it is clear to see why Czechs D don't go in round 1. I like all these guys (and am about to google Vagner) but none of them were tippy top guys by any stretch. Still a little hope for 2nd rounder Masin and first rounder Zboril.

Elite Prospects - Players from Czech Rep. in the NHL Entry Draft

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010

Looking at that list, it is clear to see why Czechs D don't go in round 1. I like all these guys (and am about to google Vagner) but none of them were tippy top guys by any stretch. Still a little hope for 2nd rounder Masin and first rounder Zboril.

Thanks for the answers guys. Agreed. I was thinking of guys who worked out and went in the first round. Hamrlik and Fisher (before he had to retire) were very good. The others not that great from what I remember.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Not sure I want to see Czech defensemen go in the 1st round anymore. :sarcasm:

What a sad looking group of once highly touted players. I actually checked and the career high in points from that group belongs to Klesla, who managed 22 points in 75 games in the 2006/07 season. Don't think there's a country with less success in terms of highly drafted defenseman than the Czech Republic, although Slovakia might be close with their 6'7" behemoths they were producing in 1999-2005. :laugh:

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
How do you think it will compare to Mrazek and co. (1993's), Pastrnak and co. (1997's), and Necas and co. (1999's)?
Mrazek group was ok in play but poor on paper. I think they benefitted from weaker teams that year.
The other 2 groups are tough to beat but they also had poor defence.
So far it looks like our future teams will be better balanced.

Reactions: Swipes

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I actually didn't notice it or realize it. Krutil and Beranek were both handed suspensions. Krutil got 2 games, Beranek got one. This is bad for us as Krutil will miss the first 2 games of the next Juniors and he is a lock to make that team's top 4. 2 suspensions in one tourney is something!

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I actually didn't notice it or realize it. Krutil and Beranek were both handed suspensions. Krutil got 2 games, Beranek got one. This is bad for us as Krutil will miss the first 2 games of the next Juniors and he is a lock to make that team's top 4. 2 suspensions in one tourney is something!

Wow. So the suspension applies to next year's games? Surely if we play some international warm-up matches before the tournament starts that can count towards games missed? Being suspended only for tournament games seems a bit much.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Wow. So the suspension applies to next year's games? Surely if we play some international warm-up matches before the tournament starts that can count towards games missed? Being suspended only for tournament games seems a bit much.
You might be right. I didn't look too closely. Popped up on my Facebook feed. I had no idea they were under review and don't even know what they did.lol

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
You might be right. I didn't look too closely. Popped up on my Facebook feed. I had no idea they were under review and don't even know what they did.lol

Haha no worries. I suspect they'll be wiped for international pre-tournament games, let's hope so anyways!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
For the most part, they all agreed with each other.. Vrbata was the most opiniated with needing some kind of pyramid and consistent system. Saying hockey is currently for 'everyone' but not for the 'elite' (paraphrase). Pointing out how some Grade 8's will go to a small town and win games 30-0 and he's not sure who that benefits.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Svozil with 12 minutes today. How does that develop a potential first rounder? Teenagers should not sit on benches! This is why the good young Czechs keep leaving.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Spor o český hokej — Česká televize

Today's debate on ČT Sport feat. Pešán, Varaďa, Vrbata and Bříza.
Turned out to be very good, even though it was a little edgy at the start. But hey, that's not neccesarily a bad thing, much better than pretending they agree on everything and it is all fine and ok.
Thank you. Been looking for this. I saw some points made in between a game and Rucizka had some good thoughts and I saw another one where Vrbata made some good points as well. I agree... I think it's great they are all mad and fighting, might lead to something. Looking forward to watching this.. thanks for link!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Spor o český hokej — Česká televize

Today's debate on ČT Sport feat. Pešán, Varaďa, Vrbata and Bříza.
Turned out to be very good, even though it was a little edgy at the start. But hey, that's not neccesarily a bad thing, much better than pretending they agree on everything and it is all fine and ok.
Finally watched it...

You could tell some of the guys like Pesan and Varada don't like each other very much. They all have good ideas but no one agrees.

I think one of the biggest problems is that Pesan is blaming the clubs and the clubs don't work for him. You can tell the club owners are pissed at him. He's blaming the one thing he can't change. They both need to comprimise IMO.

Reducing the clubs is a great idea.
I think they need some kind of hockey type schools for the Grade 8ish kids or so (like mentioned in Finland and Sweden)
Third one is free... no one under the age of 18 is allowed to play in the Extraliga (which is the AHL rule as well) (maybe I'd allow a special exemption for elite prospects but they'd have to be first round prospects and they'd have to be guaranteed a certain amount of minues).

This would strengthen the junior programs as all the top players (who didn't leave) would all still be there. Crazy theory I know but kids sitting on beches in the Extraliga is not a way to develop them.

upload_2021-2-8_22-0-9.png

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Rysavy-Mysak-Novak
Gut-Brabenec-Konecny
Malat-Handl-Chlubna
Maly- Ivan- Jirus
+Macha

Svozil-Krutil
Balaz-Jiricek
Kremlacek-Hradek
Moravec

Bednar
Malik

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Rysavy-Mysak-Novak
Gut-Brabenec-Konecny
Malat-Handl-Chlubna
Maly- Ivan- Jirus
+Macha

Svozil-Krutil
Balaz-Jiricek
Kremlacek-Hradek
Moravec

Bednar
Malik
Isn't Hamara supposed to be a big deal?

This will be our best D core in a decade probably.. forwards are looking rough though.

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
Isn't Hamara supposed to be a big deal?

This will be our best D core in a decade probably.. forwards are looking rough though.

I think Hamara is too young. Rather take extraliga experienced defensemen.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I think Hamara is too young. Rather take extraliga experienced defensemen.
We have any of those? Hamara is essentially a lock to make the team. At this point he doesn't have to catch up with Balaz or Kremlacek to make the team, it's the other way around.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad