Player Discussion 2022 7th for Dylan Gambrell

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Losing a 7th isn't a big deal whatsoever

Gambrell adds nothing though, pretty pointless. Another body, that's about it. That's likely all that was wanted
Would agree with that. Just looking for a stop gap to fill a hole. Pretty much a warm body.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
imagine the most boring vanilla player you can think of. now times that by 2, minus 3, and raise it to the power of 105.

That is Dylan Gambrell.

A poor man's version of Chris Tierney might actually be a good call. Let's see if he's stronger on pucks now

Or also, a slightly better version of Bishop. But Bishop is a better skater.

Wow the bar is really low around here

It's like the total opposite of what this fanbase used to be. And back then I was asking people to lower their expectations a bit. Now I should ask for the opposite :laugh:

Who cares about the 7th round pick.

I do. With Trent Mann as the Director of Amateur Scouting, I would much rather have him manage/use the draft picks instead of our pro scouting...

Pick guys like Gambrell off waivers instead. The off-season and even preseason are made to acquire depth, that's what NHL teams do. Montreal, who just went to the SCF, claimed a goalie and Adam Brooks off waivers. They also signed Sami Niku who became available all of sudden. They did all this despite signing Mike Hoffman, Mathieu Perreault, David Savard, Cédric Paquette and Chris Wideman this off-season.

They have a lot of problems (mainly because their drafting is truly terrible) but at least they sign/acquire players to have as much depth as possible

So when he was available, for free, on waivers, a couple of weeks ago….when there was enough healthy Centers… and no need for another…. You seem to be suggesting Ottawa should have brought him in, for free, just in case another Center, or two, when down….. in the meantime who should the Senators removed from their line up to make room for a “ just in case we need him” player?? Would the player removed to make room for Grambrell require waivers to sent sent to Belleville?

It’s just so easy to say something like “ could have had “ him for free…. When there was no need to add him to the roster.

I mean... Logan Shaw and Scott Sabourin (not NHL players) are on the active roster...

Yes, we absolutely could have had him for free and send one of the jersey fillers down.

Chris Tierney
Tyler Ennis
Dylan Gambrell
Zachary Sanford
Logan Shaw
Scott Sabourin

I know we have some injuries but our depth is petrifying. This 6 of our 13 actual forwards. Fits well with Halloween though :sarcasm:

Good for you! You deserve a gold star. And I am laughing that you are getting so worked up.

Am I getting worked up though? I ALREADY know our management is not very good in comparison to their peers. I am just continuing the discussion.

Based on your emo answer, you seem to be the one that is getting "worked up"...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
The chances of a player drafted in the 7th round playing 100+ NHL games is what, maybe 5%.

The Sens got a guy with 100+ NHL games for a 7th. this trade is already a win.

People will moan and complain about needing to make a bigger move, but bigger moves usually take more time to complete, and the Sens needed a player ASAP, and they paid essentially nothing for him.

And the waivers complaints? C'mon guys. Do a Google. He was put on waivers on October 9th. Sens didn't need him on October 9th.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Gambrell is no better than ABB, MacEwen, Brooks, Stenlund and a bunch of other guys who were available for free after White and Watson went down with injury.

I'm not going to lose sleep over a 7th round pick, but that's now a 4th+7th and 3.1M in combined salary that Dorion has spent on Sanford and Gambrell - two players that don't move the needle at all.

Seems wasteful.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gambrell is no better than ABB, MacEwen, Brooks, Stenlund and a bunch of other guys who were available for free after White and Watson went down with injury.

I'm not going to lose sleep over a 7th round pick, but that's now a 4th+7th and 3.1M in combined salary that Dorion has spent on Sanford and Gambrell - two players that don't move the needle at all.

Seems wasteful.

I don't like giving up that conditional 4th for Sanford.. I didn't see Logan Brown making the Blues. The middle round picks are good capital.
A 7th for Gambrell .. I see your point but willing to see how he does or if a 12 man spot remains open for him going forward. They could have had a warm body for nothing but a 7th isn't a huge price. I don't like giving up picks unless it makes sense either. I wonder if they would assign his 1.1 to Belleville when Pinto comes back. Seems hefty for the Sens.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
With any luck, this will be our lineup in ~2 weeks

Brady - Norris - Batherson
Paul - Pinto - Brown
Stutzle - Tierney - Ennis
Formenton - Gambrell - Watson

If we can roll that 4th line approx 10 mins a night at ES, that's a big boost. Maybe Gambrell isn't the ideal 4C, but Watson and Formenton are pretty great as far as 4th line wingers go.

Continue to shelter Stutzle at 3LW and, ideally, acquire a legit 3rd line RW in the months to come. When Bishop returns, he can switch in and out for Gambrell.
I would hope and think that Stutzle would play with better players to allow his talent to shine through and have those linemates compliment his skill and allow him to try things, and to learn from those experiments . We saw an improved & better version of Stutzle even with just playing alongside Paul for a short time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
I think our prospect pool can manage without a 7th round pick. I also think we're due to get more than that for guys like Ennis and co. at the deadline again.

Not losing any sleep over this deal.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Outside of 7 guys, this lineup is OFFENSIVE to my eyes, not to the opposition

I mean you could swap Gambrell and Tierney down, insert Paul as 2C and Ennis on a wing... doesn't look much better:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Paul - Brown
Formenton - Tierney - Ennis
Sanford - Gambrell - Shaw/Sabourin

Edit: I also think that if the ship hasn't completely sailed on Stutzle being a center, then now is the time to test that theory out.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I mean you could swap Gambrell and Tierney down, insert Paul as 2C and Ennis on a wing... doesn't look much better:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Paul - Brown
Formenton - Tierney - Ennis
Sanford - Gambrell - Shaw/Sabourin

Edit: I also think that if the ship hasn't completely sailed on Stutzle being a center, then now is the time to test that theory out.

I'm not sure right now is the time to try him out. He's just finding his groove at this level and still learning to be a better 200ft player. I don't think he's ready to play center at this stage especially if the team is trying to be competitive and win games. It'd be pretty tough to shelter him at center and he'd get taken to the shed in road games too. Apparently he doesn't really want to play center either.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Worst possible scenario is that this guy can't play at the NHL level but is a valuable addition to the Belleville squad.

Best possible scenario is that, given an opportunity, he establishes himself as a useful and affordable fourth line centre.

This isn't a trade worth complaining about because if it doesn't work out we can always make another trade. It's not as if the loss of that seventh round pick is going to handcuff us going forward.

Reactions: MrInvidious

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018
Pinto has been killing 43 secs a game, cand round that up to just shy of a min by removing the game he was hurt in putting him 5th among forwards. Tierney had been a regular penalty killer here until this year where he's averaged 15 secs a game.

I agree Gambrell can be useful on the PK, I don't think there was an urgent need though with Tierney available for that role. He was killing 2 mins a night last year. We could also call Kelly back up who had been used more than Pinto on the PK so far this year.
Well at the rate centers and penalty killers seem to be getting hurt this seems like a super low cost insurance policy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well at the rate centers and penalty killers seem to be getting hurt this seems like a super low cost insurance policy.
Ya, I don't mind the pickup. I think it's something we should have done when White went down tbh but better late than never.

We started off the season talking about how we should acquire guys like Henrique, Strome, Monahan, Reinhart, or maybe take a swing at Eichel, and that was before White got hurt. The need to add a center has always been there. I don't really think Pinto going down or us adding a defensive minded bottom 6 center in Gambrell changes it. We upgraded Shaw as far as I can tell, at a time where we are struggling to score (bottom 3 in GF/GP) and have been pretty decent at defending (top 10 in GA/GP).

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Pinto wasn't injured when he was on Waivers, and a benefit to him having gone through it is that he won't have to go through waivers when Pinto returns and we send him to Bingo.

White, Bishop and to a lesser extent Watson were injured, Kelly may have been injured as well I don’t recall whether he was back from his concussion.

There was an obvious need for forward depth at the time, call me crazy but I wouldn’t be worried about losing Sabourin on waivers if it came to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well there are 5-6 posters that seem to have a negative take on virtually every move. Why is that?
There are more than 5 or 6 posters, so can't view that as a majority.

You are always going to get a wide variety of "opinions" on a message board such as this on virtually any subject. So, it shouldn't be much of a surprise to see people posting different opinions.

I'd hope we can discuss hockey and Senators here, without the scolding and lectures. Maybe its a desire to focus on something more light hearted that makes me (and others) think that way.

Last edited:

JMACole

Jun 27, 2020
PEI
All the best to Gambrell on the Sens! Like him, I was born in Washington state. There aren’t many Washington boys in the NHL, so it’s fun to see one on the team that I’m a fan of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad