Prospect Info: [2022 - 33rd] Owen Beck (OHL - Saginaw Spirit)

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Article from The Hockey News about Owen Beck.

It's a bit of a fluff piece, but it does touch on one reality, it's too early to pigeonhole Owen Beck as a bottom 6 centre.

If there's one thing we can agree on Owen Beck, is that he seems like a pretty damn determined guy. I have no doubts that Beck will put in the work to become the best hockey player he can. I think this is an underestimated trait for a professional athlete. The "will" to get better and to put in the work to do so is incredibly important. He has the shot, the speed, the tenacity, the smarts, the agressiveness.....everything you want in a hockey player.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
How dumb are journalists from the hockey news? Increasing his NHL potential since joining Saginaw? Only to stats watchers. The player he is has not changed from switching one team to the next.

This magazine is bad.

Reactions: badfish

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
How dumb are journalists from the hockey news? Increasing his NHL potential since joining Saginaw? Only to stats watchers. The player he is has not changed from switching one team to the next.

This magazine is bad.

The article is horrible, but it's not wrong in the sense that because Beck was playing with an absolute shit team in Peterborough, his stats took a hit and some people started to consider him as more of a defensive centre.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The article is horrible, but it's not wrong in the sense that because Beck was playing with an absolute shit team in Peterborough, his stats took a hit and some people started to consider him as more of a defensive centre.
You are right that some people consider his potential higher now.

But in reality, his potential is the exact same it was before the trade, no matter what some people think.

Therefore the article is wrong.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
You are right that some people consider his potential higher now.

But in reality, his potential is the exact same it was before the trade, no matter what some people think.

Therefore the article is wrong.

Of course his potential is the same.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Thank you. It has to be said because so many people were blind to the quality of his all-around game.
Absolutely and Beck carries most if not all of those traits.
Watching the WJHC this year we saw a lot of comments from people who were disappointed with Beck's play/production.

What I saw was a scoring challenged team who when the chips were down only managed two goals 5v5 against Czechia.
Both goals came off the back of two monster shifts by Beck's line.

They kept Czechia pinned the entire time. Canada was able to swap out their players and scored not long after both times.
If you had your eyes closed listening to the game during those shifts Beck's name was called twice as many times as any other player on his line.

I was the only person in the GDT to even talk about it.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

This magazine is bad.
I can’t comment on the magazine as a whole, but this article must be viewed with some suspicion when it says that Beck plays in all game situations. As I have noted, because I actually watch all Spirit games, Beck usually doesn’t play on Saginaw’s first power play unit. It’s a coaching strategy that frankly I can’t fathom.

As I have preached ( undoubtedly ad nauseam to many) try to resist the prevailing consensus. Use independent thought whether in assessing a young hockey player’s potential or with respect to infinitely more important life affecting decisions.

While Beck has many all round game attributes, his ultimate success and impact at the next level will be a result of his offensive skills: explosive skating, shooting ability, offensive vision/ anticipation and high compete level.

To this writer, Beck remains Montreal’s best forward prospect. He’s smart, skilled and is a leader. Are these skills and attributes transferable to the NHL? The next two years will provide us with that answer. Prevailing consensus or otherwise.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There is nothing shrewd about an owner that needs 10 years to realize his manager is incompetent when everyone else knew after 3 years. And it's even sadder if he knew and was happy because MB was operating with 1/10 the staff he should have had.
Yeah, that’s my main issue with him. Ten wasted years. He re-signed MB while there were two years left in his contract. That was boneheaded thing to do.

On the plus side, he seems to have gotten things right this time. It’s just time to move on and look forward to what looks like a bright future.

I'm 6'3' and 250 pounds, why can't I play in the NHL?
Being 46 and not knowing how to skate shouldn't be a knock against me.
After all you know the proverb, you can't teach fat.
This is an awesome post.

It's a bit of a fluff piece, but it does touch on one reality, it's too early to pigeonhole Owen Beck as a bottom 6 centre.

If there's one thing we can agree on Owen Beck, is that he seems like a pretty damn determined guy. I have no doubts that Beck will put in the work to become the best hockey player he can. I think this is an underestimated trait for a professional athlete. The "will" to get better and to put in the work to do so is incredibly important. He has the shot, the speed, the tenacity, the smarts, the agressiveness.....everything you want in a hockey player.
Fun fact. I’m friends with his uncle. He looks a lot like him. And if his character is anything like his uncle’s we got a good one.

Really looking forward to watching this guy develop.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I think this is a trait Hughes is looking for in every draft pick if possible.
The more players you have with this gene, for lack of a better word, the more the slackers have to get on board or GTFO.
Give me a slightly less talented player with this in spades every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
It was clearly something Michkov didn't have in their view.

I remember at the draft there were promo videos showing Bedard and Michkov side by side.
I mentioned at the time how I felt that trait was actually visible.
Not one person could wrongly identify the player who had the dedication factor coursing through him.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Looks like Beck had a super effective weekend so far.
I'm hoping to watch him this afternoon in a tough matchup against the Soo Greyhounds.
3rd game in 3 days against a rested Soo team will be a challenge.

Damn I just realized this is the final regular season game.
Now the real fun starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27 and FloJack

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I think this is a trait Hughes is looking for in every draft pick if possible.
The more players you have with this gene, for lack of a better word, the more the slackers have to get on board or GTFO.
Give me a slightly less talented player with this in spades every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.
It was clearly something Michkov didn't have in their view.

I remember at the draft there were promo videos showing Bedard and Michkov side by side.
I mentioned at the time how I felt that trait was actually visible.
Not one person could wrongly identify the player who had the dedication factor coursing through him.
Hard work beats talent unless talent works hard.

Reactions: Rapala

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think there is a good chance Beck earns a spot on the Habs next season. However, it would depend on players like Dvorak / Armia getting traded somehow.

Reactions: windycity

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think there is a good chance Beck earns a spot on the Habs next season. However, it would depend on players like Dvorak / Armia getting traded somehow.
You could be right but during a rebuild why not let him acclimate himself to pro hockey playing in front of a packed house in Laval for a few months? What's the rush?

Reactions: John B

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You could be right but during a rebuild why not let him acclimate himself to pro hockey playing in front of a packed house in Laval for a few months? What's the rush?
There's no rush. But Beck might out-play forwards on our current roster and earn a spot. Beck is the type of player that may not need AHL play because he plays a mature game. The question is whether the development staff believe he has 2C potential or not. If he does, might make sense for him to spend a season in Laval working on his offensive game.

Reactions: Tyson

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Not saying Beck will be the next Suzuki, but at 19, after a trade, Suzuki got 49 points in 29 games, en route to great playoffs, now, Beck has 49 points in 31 games since he was traded. The difference, Beck is 7 months older than Suzuki was back then. Remember that Suzuki was underwhelming at the WJC at 19, and then after the trade in the OHL went on great end of his last junior season.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Not saying Beck will be the next Suzuki, but at 19, after a trade, Suzuki got 49 points in 29 games, en route to great playoffs, now, Beck has 49 points in 31 games since he was traded. The difference, Beck is 7 months older than Suzuki was back then. Remember that Suzuki was underwhelming at the WJC at 19, and then after the trade in the OHL went on great end of his last junior season.

Suzuki's OHL playoffs were out of this world. So many elimination games and clutch plays. Anyone remember Duncan Milroys crazy run ? Suzukis was better IMO. It would be great if Beck can even touch that level of play.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
4-0 Saginaw
Beck scored after he took a crosscheck to the head. :help:
The Soo player took a 5:00 and a game.
LOL 5 goals on 8 shots.
Soo Greyhounds had their banquet last night. :popcorn:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Owen Beck ended his season with 1G-1A and a First Star of the game.
The funny thing is I watched a good portion of the game and I don't think he won a face off. :laugh:
I'm looking forward to seeing his skill-set in action in the real season.

34-47-81 is not too shabby in 57 games going from a -2 in PBO 25 GP to a +28 in SAG 32 GP.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad