Prospect Info: [2022 - 33rd] Owen Beck (OHL - Saginaw Spirit)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I was in a dilemma last night.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to watch Beck or Laval.
I opted for Laval mostly because of the Reinbacher situation and how a win would be ideal.
Tonight instead of getting a chance to watch Beck I get an early start in Calgary. :mad:
I watched the Saginaw game against the Erie Otters last night and here are my short comments on Beck's play.

Having played a hard and emotional game against Guelph the night before, Saginaw looked and played like a tired team against the rested Erie team. Beck was no different. Though he was instrumental in setting up Saginaw's first two goals, Beck's usual dynamic skating was rarely on display last night. He only had two shots on net and only a couple of end to end rushes where he used his explosive skating. Again, Saginaw's coaches chose not to use Beck on their first power play unit and the absence of his shooting ability and the threat of same, really lessened the effectiveness of the Spirit power play.

On to the next game.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I watched the Saginaw game against the Erie Otters last night and here are my short comments on Beck's play.

Having played a hard and emotional game against Guelph the night before, Saginaw looked and played like a tired team against the rested Erie team. Beck was no different. Though he was instrumental in setting up Saginaw's first two goals, Beck's usual dynamic skating was rarely on display last night. He only had two shots on net and only a couple of end to end rushes where he used his explosive skating. Again, Saginaw's coaches chose not to use Beck on their first power play unit and the absence of his shooting ability and the threat of same, really lessened the effectiveness of the Spirit power play.

On to the next game.
It's funny I scoured the post game information box scores and event details and this is exactly what I sensed out of the comments and stats.
Beck being 11/22 on the dot says a lot to me as well. Fatigue.
I've always noticed how Nick Suzuki for example is so much better on the dot when he has his A game.
I like the fact that he contributes even when he's off. I pointed out a number of posts back how consistent he's been with the Spirit.
I like a player who is consistent every game as opposed to a point generator who will rely on mega point games but puts up more goose eggs.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It's funny I scoured the post game information box scores and event details and this is exactly what I sensed out of the comments and stats.
Beck being 11/22 on the dot says a lot to me as well. Fatigue.
I've always noticed how Nick Suzuki for example is so much better on the dot when he has his A game.
I like the fact that he contributes even when he's off. I pointed out a number of posts back how consistent he's been with the Spirit.
I like a player who is consistent every game as opposed to a point generator who will rely on mega point games but puts up more goose eggs.
I have been a big booster of Beck and think he is clearly Montreal's best forward prospect.

If I have one criticism of this fine young player, its his level of stamina. I've been watching this game of hockey for close to seventy years and over that time I have developed a keen eye (awareness) for those players that seem to play at the same level from the start to the end of their shifts and those who display a marked drop off in their effectiveness as their shift comes to an end. It was one of my main concerns about Mailloux and has always been my observations about Gallagher's play: the poster boy for the one and done player. It's a small concern about Beck.

Am I being unnecessarily critical? Perhaps. But it's not surprising that Beck's performance last night (being the second of a back to back games) was noticeably less impactful.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I have been a big booster of Beck and think he is clearly Montreal's best forward prospect. If I have one criticism of this fine young player, its his level of stamina. I've been watching this game of hockey for close to seventy years and over that time I have developed a keen eye (awareness) for those players that seem to play at the same level from the start to the end of their shifts and those who display a marked drop off in their effectiveness as their shift comes to an end. It was one of my main concerns about Mailloux and has always been my observations about Gallagher's play: the poster boy for the one and down player. It's a small concern about Beck.

Am I being unnecessarily critical? Perhaps. But it's not surprising that Beck's performance last night (being the second of a back to back games) was noticeably less impactive.
I don't see that at all as the kid is in great shape but he simply exerts himself more than others. There is nothing wrong with Gallagher's cardio although that is different than stamina as his skating stride is so wildly inefficient that he expends a lot more energy than your typical player in order to travel the same distance.

Beck has no such issue with his stride but he plays the full length of the ice which most junior centers don't and can get gassed as any player would if he is in a multiple end to end sequence travelling as much as he does and fighting in the dirty areas as much as he does.

Reactions: mdk and bopeep

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
A limited skill, 4th line forward should score about 8 goals from tapping in rebounds, deflecting a shot in, puck bouncing off helmet into net.

Add speed and a legit shot then add in another 5-6 goals off rushes.

And the kid is a basic passer but works hard and is smart ?

Sounds a lot like Danault.

He isn't going to be just a 4th line C. My belief is he is a terrific 3C or a 2C. It will take a few years but I think he is a prospect with promise.
Beck is one of my fave prospects we have. A true all round hockey player that will have a long career health permitting. The kind of player you win with

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Beck is one of my fave prospects we have. A true all round hockey player that will have a long career health permitting. The kind of player you win with
I agree. Having some very solid 2 way guys who can play great defensive hockey are a type of player you need to win.

Beck seems mature and intelligent when I have seen him speaking. He seems quite serious. He also has a bit of an edge on the ice.

He is a favourite of mine also. Fingers crossed.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
I can't see how he would not be able to replace Evans as early as next season.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Or replace Dvorak. I wonder if Dvo will be able to play a full season without injuries and if his poor skating is caused by an injury that will be fixed next season. Evans and Dvorak are both centers with poor stats, for different reasons. Habs will never win or built something permanent with those two.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Or replace Dvorak. I wonder if Dvo will be able to play a full season without injuries and if his poor skating is caused by an injury that will be fixed next season. Evans and Dvorak are both centers with poor stats, for different reasons. Habs will never win or built something permanent with those two.
Dvorak makes more bread so probably the more difficult of the 2 to move. Evans I've seen plenty of and just don't see him contributing more offensively as for Dvorak,he's been out so often I wonder what he could do with solid linemates.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
A lot of people internal included think he will be ready to make a real push and force HuGo's hand.
He may face a numbers game because Hughes seems to be determined to get value back no matter what.
The Habs may take the same attitude with him that they are showing Joshua Roy.
"We are going to work with him" It may not be game one but at some point next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Dvorak makes more bread so probably the more difficult of the 2 to move. Evans I've seen plenty of and just don't see him contributing more offensively as for Dvorak,he's been out so often I wonder what he could do with solid linemates.
What I saw from Dvorak was a black hole in general. Not much offence and not much defense either. He wins face offs and that's all. He's so slow, he can't rush the opponents in pk like Danault used to do. He can't deke or create something interresting in offense, his play is linear and predictable. But he could win battles in corner when he gets there on time (rarelly) and he could stand in front of the goalie for a deflection or score on a rebound. I always wrote here his best use would be at wing. He might win a FO and switch to wing. But we want to tank more years so he's a perfect tanker player. better he stays at center, lol.

A lot of people internal included think he will ready to make a real push to force HuGo's hand.
He may face a numbers game because Hughes seems to be determined to get value back no matter what.
"We are going to work with him" It may not be game one but at some point next season.
Yeah, whatever the situation with Dvo and Evans, give the proper ice time to Beck. He's part of the future and that's a priority.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
A lot of people internal included think he will ready to make a real push to force HuGo's hand.
Probably a numbers game. If he does get a whiff,most likely will have Pezzetta and Gallagher for wingers,watch him flourish!

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
What I saw from Dvorak was a black hole in general. Not much offence and not much defense either. He wins face offs and that's all. He's so slow, he can't rush the opponents in pk like Danault used to do. He can't deke or create something interresting in offense, his play is linear and predictable. But he could win battles in corner when he gets there on time (rarelly) and he could stand in front of the goalie for a deflection or score on a rebound. I always wrote here his best use would be at wing. He might win a FO and switch to wing. But we want to tank more years so he's a perfect tanker player. better he stays at center, lol.

Yeah, whatever the situation with Dvo and Evans, give the proper ice time to Beck. He's part of the future and that's a priority.
More tanking years? what a treat.lol

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
I just have such a difficult time envisioning Mesar's role in the future of the organization other than a trade chip that is soon to be actualized.
I'm with you. Every Rangers game I watch just leaves me feeling empty. He just isn't doing it for me.
Sure he gets his points here and there, but he's not driving things.

rik schau

Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Trust me Hughes has leeway on this.
He isn't handing out contracts like candy as his predecessor did.
What do you call the Caufield contract? pretty sweet imo.
Anyhow,Molson is still lurking around so we shall see what will be when it will be.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What do you call the Caufield contract? pretty sweet imo.
Anyhow,Molson is still lurking around so we shall see what will be when it will be.
Not what I'm talking about at all.
Caufield will always have value IMO and has been identified as part of our core.
Compare that to Gallagher there is a huge difference.
Bergevin was also giving out contracts to his cronies left right and center.

Pezzetta's 825,000 is a drop in the bucket if it allows us to upgrade significantly.
Waiver hope he gets picked up and then Laval if neccessary.
This providing you can't trade him for future considerations.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I hope so but this owner is mighty frugal.

I don't like Molson but he was ready to eat Monahan's contract for a 1st rounder so it's not that bad. Of course it's only throwing $ on the current roster in order to get back into playoff $$$.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't like Molson but he was ready to eat Monahan's contract for a 1st rounder so it's not that bad. Of course it's only throwing $ on the current roster in order to get back into playoff $$$.

I honestly don't get the Molson hate......it just seems more proletarian envy of success and power that always seems to morph into conspiracy level cynicism. I can't stand the greed of the 1% either but I do not think that there is any reason for a fan of the Canadiens to hate Molson for anything related to the clubs lack of success. He has never limited the GM's ability to spend to the cap. Bergevin wisely chose not to do so at times instead of throwing money at UFA's for the sake of doing so. This is not to say that MB did not make poor decisions when negotiating contracts but this has nothing to do with Molson.

Not implying that you subscribe to the QAnon-esque nature of some of his detractors as your reasons are likely more subtle.

Reactions: bsl and HabzSauce

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I honestly don't get the Molson hate......it just seems more proletarian envy of success and power that always seems to morph into conspiracy level cynicism. I can't stand the greed of the 1% either but I do not think that there is any reason for a fan of the Canadiens to hate Molson for anything related to the clubs lack of success. He has never limited the GM's ability to spend to the cap. Bergevin wisely chose not to do so at times instead of throwing money at UFA's for the sake of doing so. This is not to say that MB did not make poor decisions when negotiating contracts but this has nothing to do with Molson.

Not implying that you subscribe to the QAnon-esque nature of some of his detractors as your reasons are likely more subtle.
Only complain I have against Molson is that gVe Bergevin too much leash for too long. Other than that, nothing wrong

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad