OT: 2022-23 Trade, Speculation, Signings, and Roster Moves Thread

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
As of opening night:

Screen Shot 2022-10-11 at 10.04.51 AM.png

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Gudas is the one I'm curious about, he will likely want a raise of course but he's still at the age where 3 years could be a iffy move.
Feel some GM may lure him with a 3-4 yr deal where Zito wouldn't go past a 2 yr offer.

Balcers is still my pick to boom a bit here and work towards a 2-3 yr extension, hoping he can be an ideal 3rd line guy with Luostarinen going forward.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Gudas is the one I'm curious about, he will likely want a raise of course but he's still at the age where 3 years could be a iffy move.
Feel some GM may lure him with a 3-4 yr deal where Zito wouldn't go past a 2 yr offer.

Balcers is still my pick to boom a bit here and work towards a 2-3 yr extension, hoping he can be an ideal 3rd line guy with Luostarinen going forward.
I'm not against bringing Gudas back, but only for 1 year at $2m tops. He'll be 33 come next June.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not against bringing Gudas back, but only for 1 year at $2m tops. He'll be 33 come next June.

He was pretty cooked in the playoffs as he constantly found himself behind the play when he was trying to throw a big check but often missed his target... he's not coming back after this season.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I very much doubt Gudas will get a 3 year deal from anyone. This will be his last year here imo. If he does come back, then 1 year max!

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

No way he's back here on a 1 yr, gonna have to be 2yrs at minimum.
As long as the AAV isn't crazy, I think we will need him here.

He was pretty cooked in the playoffs as he constantly found himself behind the play when he was trying to throw a big check but often missed his target... he's not coming back after this season.

We lose him and Weegar and thats the bulk of our hitting ability, not saying we need tons of it but you still need some intimidating factors on defense IMO.

I very much doubt Gudas will get a 3 year deal from anyone. This will be his last year here imo. If he does come back, then 1 year max!

Maybe, a 3 yr deal from some GM that needs protection or just general physicality on an up and coming team.
It won't be from a contender so if he's chasing money and more security, it'll be a team like Buffalo, LA etc...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
We lose him and Weegar and thats the bulk of our hitting ability, not saying we need tons of it but you still need some intimidating factors on defense IMO.

Agreed, but I don't think that Zito is willing to commit to the same amount of dough and term as some other teams can in the free agency. Gudas is likely a bottom pairing dman at the end of his contract with the Cats and I don't think he'll settle for a ~$1.5milx2 extension.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Gavrikov and mayfield would both be good offseason targets. We need some stabilizing size back there

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Travis Sanheim signs extension with the Flyers (8 years, $6.25M AAV)​

Recall some people were interested in pursuing him in the offseason.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Agreed, but I don't think that Zito is willing to commit to the same amount of dough and term as some other teams can in the free agency. Gudas is likely a bottom pairing dman at the end of his contract with the Cats and I don't think he'll settle for a ~$1.5milx2 extension.

Could see 3 years x $1.5 mil somewhere but with the cap going up, he's going to get a raise and he's fairly durable for his style of play.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Another reason the Knight contract was a bad move:
Let's say Bobrovsky plays really well this year and never loses the starter reigns.
Knight plays okay, but not quite 1G caliber in ~30 starts.

It really doesn't matter whether Bob plays like a $5m goalie or an $8m goalie, it's still going to be a herculean task to find a team for his cap and NMC.

If Knight had signed for $3m and looked meh this season, then we could still potentially use him as a high-value trade chip if we decided to cash in on his value and were content to roll with Bob.

Now, Knight really has to play well in order to maintain his value. If he doesn't look like a $4.5m goalie, his shine will fade.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Another reason the Knight contract was a bad move:
Let's say Bobrovsky plays really well this year and never loses the starter reigns.
Knight plays okay, but not quite 1G caliber in ~30 starts.

It really doesn't matter whether Bob plays like a $5m goalie or an $8m goalie, it's still going to be a herculean task to find a team for his cap and NMC.

If Knight had signed for $3m and looked meh this season, then we could still potentially use him as a high-value trade chip if we decided to cash in on his value and were content to roll with Bob.

Now, Knight really has to play well in order to maintain his value. If he doesn't look like a $4.5m goalie, his shine will fade.
We're one game into the season and you're already throwing around worst case, doomer takes.

Of course your scenario is possible. So is the exact opposite.

"Another reason the Knight contract was a good move:

Let's say Bobrovsky tears his ACL this year and is never the same.
Knight plays at an elite level, for 60 games.

It really doesn't matter what happens because we can LTIR Bob.

If Knight had signed for $3m and looked great this season, it would be insane value. So would $6M+

Now, that Knight is playing at an elite level, we have three of his prime years locked up for under $5M."

How about we just let things play out in real time?

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I'm not ready to talk about the blueline next year.

I've never loved Ekblad, and if it's a bad year while other 1D options arise, I don't see no. 5 as a given.
Forsling needs an 8-year extension, but we need to know if the AAV is going to be closer to $4m or $7m.
Montour needs to show me he can hold down the fort as the 3D.
I expect at least one of Carlsson, Kiersted, Mahura to establish himself as a solid 3LD this season.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut

balcers passing was pretty good. def makes me think there's more there to untap of put in the right situation.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I like Gavrikov as a target. I think we will live and die by Ekblad-Forsling. We also need to factor in a 6M by 8 year offer to Forsling this offseason.

Dumba could be a pick for a 6M dollar offer. Ghost and Dunn too.

I think:
Forsling (6)-Ekblad (7.5)
Gavrikov (4.5)-Montour (3)
Kiersted (.8)-Gudas (1.5)

wouldn't be a bad outcome at all.

Reactions: pantherbot

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
IMO, if there is one player up for a contract this team can't afford to lose, it's Gustav Forsling. We've now seen him in three playoff series and he's up for it. Guy's shown he can hang with the best, and can be paired with anyone to cover up most of their warts.

I think that reality probably factored into the decision to move Weegar.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
IMO, if there is one player up for a contract this team can't afford to lose, it's Gustav Forsling. We've now seen him in three playoff series and he's up for it. Guy's shown he can hang with the best, and can be paired with anyone to cover up most of their warts.

I think that reality probably factored into the decision to move Weegar.
I think he’s our best D. Guy shut down Barzal last nihjt

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad