2022-23 SPHL Season Thread

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
It's not impossible for a team to submit a protected list and then fold but I was kind of surprised to see VC on there. Seems the Bobcats are going to make a second go of it and likely not an expansion team this year. Macon is a little surprising considering the amount of, "yeah, they're already dead" conjecture.

Reactions: Atlantian and JMCx4

Checkers Hockey

Veni, vidi, vici
It's not impossible for a team to submit a protected list and then fold but I was kind of surprised to see VC on there. Seems the Bobcats are going to make a second go of it and likely not an expansion team this year. Macon is a little surprising considering the amount of, "yeah, they're already dead" conjecture.
Reminds me of when everyone thought the FHL (FPHL) was going to fold after one season and that league has been in operation for how many years now? 12?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With S/T to @Af77 ...

SPHL releases 2022-2023 schedule

July 13, 2022

HUNTERSVILLE, NC (July 13, 2022) – The Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) announced Wednesday the league will drop the puck for its 19th season on October 20 with a rare Thursday night opener as the Huntsville Havoc will travel to Pensacola to kick off the 2022-2023 schedule against the Ice Flyers.

Five more teams kick off their home schedules on Friday, October 21 as Knoxville hosts Evansville, Macon welcomes Huntsville, Quad City opens their doors to in-state rival Peoria, Fayetteville travels to Roanoke and Vermilion County takes on Birmingham.

On Saturday, October 22, the Peoria Rivermen will raise their first President’s Cup championship banner prior to taking on Quad City. In addition, Evansville hosts Knoxville while Fayetteville welcomes Roanoke in the second game of a home-and-home series. ...

The complete schedule will be found on the SPHL’s website (www.thesphl.com). ...

Read more at:

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Mayhem Makes Coaching and Management Changes for the 2022-23 Season

August 12, 2022

MACON GA – Macon Mayhem Ownership is excited to announce a new collaboration with sports media company, Field Pass. Field Pass has been brought into the organization as a consultant for Front Office and Hockey Operations on a contract that lasts through the 2023-24 hockey season. ...

Mayhem owner, Dr. John Sapp has also named Anna Marie Summers the new General Manager for the organization. Summers has 3 years of experience in Macon as the Assistant GM and Director of Corporate Relations. ...

On August 10, head coach Zac Desjardins was relieved of his coaching duties with the team. The Mayhem ended the 2021-22 season in tenth place with a record of 10-40-3 under Desjardins. Both Coach Desjardins and his wife will leave having made a positive contribution to the team and Macon during their time here. ...

Read more at:

Af77

Sep 23, 2020
Very excited about the season
With S/T to @Af77 ...

I like the schedule from the QC perspective. We play almost everyone and I am going to try and make my first trip to one of the more southern teams this year.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Very excited about the season

I like the schedule from the QC perspective. We play almost everyone and I am going to try and make my first trip to one of the more southern teams this year.
It's a shame the Storm aren't visiting Huntsville. Closest driving destination from QC (if that's how you plan to travel), and Von Braun Center with Propst Arena is a very attractive facility to visit. But Knoxville would be my second choice, just a few miles further & the Civic Coliseum is a quirky arena you won't soon forget. Safe travels.

Af77

Sep 23, 2020
It's a shame the Storm aren't visiting Huntsville. Closest driving destination from QC (if that's how you plan to travel), and Von Braun Center with Propst Arena is a very attractive facility to visit. But Knoxville would be my second choice, just a few miles further & the Civic Coliseum is a quirky arena you won't soon forget. Safe travels.
I had narrowed it down to Birmingham or Knoxville. Thanks for the info!

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I had narrowed it down to Birmingham or Knoxville. Thanks for the info!
My public Flickr page has hockey arena photos that might help you in deciding your final destination: Pelham Civic Complex Photos (Birmingham Bulls) and Knoxville Coliseum Photos (Knoxville Ice Bears).
Neither one is an ice palace, but both host hockey so neither destination can be all that bad. :hockey:

• Love
Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL
Lol Evansville had a website redesign and accidentally let the cat out of the bag on their new logo!
And getting this out there before other accounts and sites do

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Lol Evansville had a website redesign and accidentally let the cat out of the bag on their new logo!

While you're in scooping mode, maybe you can help the E'ville media dept. figger out who their home opening opponent is gonna be for 2022-23 ...

Is it ... ?

Or is it ... ?
Saturday, October 22 7:00pm Opening Night

Your hometown hockey team returns to action at the Ford Center! We are adding glitz and glamour to our first game of the season as we scrap with the the Bobcats. ...

Af77

Sep 23, 2020
I would of been okay with them just using the logo they have been using with the removal of the pilot, as you touched on the new one is way too basic and the color scheme is too generic

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
There is a press release on the website dated July 27 which announced the new logo and color scheme:

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Yeesh, what a downgrade. It looks crummy.

There is a press release on the website dated July 27 which announced the new logo and color scheme:

Not sure how, website seemed to have not gone live with the update until last night
Nothing was said about the new logo until then and the team just this morning officially revealed it.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
CLARKE NAMED 7TH HEAD COACH IN ICE BEARS HISTORY

Joel Silverberg, August 24, 2022
Press Release

The Knoxville Ice Bears have agreed to terms with Brent Clarke to be the organization’s seventh head coach in franchise history. Clarke comes to Knoxville from Watertown in the FPHL where he led the Wolves to the Commissioner’s Cup as the league’s 2022 playoff champion. He also won a title as the team’s head coach in 2015. He was named the league’s Coach of the Year in each of those seasons. ...

Clarke has also been the Head Coach in the FPHL with the Elmira Enforcers. He led the club to the Commissioner’s Cup finals in 2019, where Elmira lost to Carolina. ...

As a player, Clarke spent five seasons in the SPHL, winning a President’s Cup with Pensacola in 2013. He also appeared in 167 combined games across the IHL, CHL and ECHL, as well as 71 games in the FPHL. Clarke brings his championship pedigree to Knoxville, where the Ice Bears are coming off a SPHL-record 42 wins last year en route to the franchise’s fifth regular season title. ...

Read more at: Clarke named 7th Head Coach in Ice Bears history - Knoxville Ice Bears

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Discussed in the Vermilion County Bobcats Struggles thread, but I wanted to post it here for safer keeping ...

Vermilion County Bobcats tab T.J. Sarcona as head coach

August 22, 2022

DANVILLE, Ill. — The Vermilion County Bobcats are proud to announce that T.J. Sarcona has been named the head coach of the organization. Sarcona brings extensive hockey experience as both as a player and a coach to the Bobcats. ...

Sarcona most recently served as head coach of the Westchester Express U16 AAA team, and as an assistant coach of the U15 and U18 teams. That opportunity came on the heels of playing two-plus seasons as a pro hockey player for the Rapid City Rush (ECHL) and the Pensacola Ice Flyers (SPHL). ...

Read more at: Vermilion County Bobcats tab T.J. Sarcona as head coach

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
RAIL YARD DAWGS EXTEND LEASE WITH BERGLUND CENTER…

AUGUST 30, 2022

RAIL YARD DAWGS EXTEND LEASE WITH BERGLUND CENTER THROUGH 2027-2028 SEASON; JAMIE MCGINN STEPS IN AS CHAIRMAN

The Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs and Berglund Center have reached a five-year extension to the team’s lease, keeping Berglund Center as the team’s home arena and primary practice facility through May of 2028. ...

This is the third lease signed between the team and building with the second of those leases finishing at the end of the 2022-2023 season. The newly inked agreement is the first five year lease between the two parties compared to the three year durations signed previously.

Jamie McGinn Steps Into Chairman Role

Jamie McGinn, the Rail Yard Dawgs principal owner, will step in as the Chairman of Breakaway Sports and Entertainment, a role previously held by his father, Bob McGinn. Bob McGinn served as team President from 2016 to 2018, then assumed the Chairman position in 2018. ...

As Chairman, Jamie will be responsible for the overall direction of Breakaway Sports and Entertainment and will serve as Roanoke’s Primary Governor for the SPHL, while Mickey Gray remains the team’s Alternate Governor. The current front office’s day-to-day operations and staff will not be affected by this transition. ...

Read more at: RAIL YARD DAWGS EXTEND LEASE WITH BERGLUND CENTER…

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Nick Niedert Named Head Coach of the Macon Mayhem

August 30, 2022

MACON, Ga – Macon Mayhem Ownership is excited to announce Nick Niedert as the team’s new head coach.

Niedert comes to Macon after being named interim head coach of the Vermilion County Bobcats of the SPHL last November. He started his professional goaltending career in 2004 with the Macon Trax. A path that took him through 817 games in the FPHL, SPHL, ECHL, and AHL over a 17-year span.

“I’m looking forward to returning to Macon, the place where it all started for me as a player”, said Niedert. “I’m excited to be able to hit the ground running with recruiting and build a team that can compete in the SPHL.” ...

"We interviewed several candidates for head coach. When we talked with Nick, we knew immediately he was the right person for the job” commented Macon General Manager, Anna Marie Summers. “He played in Macon so he understands the culture here and our vision for the organization.” ...

Read more at: Nick Niedert Named Head Coach of the Macon Mayhem

• Love
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Slow news month(s) in The South, but here are two asst. coach announcements to keep this thread open ... 🥱

battra

Oct 24, 2017
Last year, I took in a two game set twixt the Rivs and the Storms.

As I type this, we have a trip out to Danville scheduled for December after hitting up Iowa for some ECHL action.

Hoping for fights!

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Last year, I took in a two game set twixt the Rivs and the Storms.

As I type this, we have a trip out to Danville scheduled for December after hitting up Iowa for some ECHL action.

Hoping for fights!
You should enjoy Xtream Arena. Not a bad seat in the house. Well, unless you sit in their handicap seating, where you have to share the space with video cameras & LOTS of tangled cables.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad