Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Gadjovich is a perfectly fine 13th forward for the level of competitiveness the team is currently at. With just a little work on his skating he could be a decent fourth liner. He’s still relatively young.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Sharks seem to think that Gadjovich has untapped potential. They may see him as a longish-term project (Ryane Clowe, Barclay Goodrow).

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Sharks seem to think that Gadjovich has untapped potential. They may see him as a longish-term project (Ryane Clowe, Barclay Goodrow).
I don't see how he has that kind of potential - he has no offensive skills at all, doesn't skate well, doesn't do much defensively, and can't play center or take faceoffs.

He's basically going to max out as one of those guys you sign to an AHL deal to teach the kids.

The only negotiation I can see is how big his AHL salary will be on what should be a one year, two-way, NHL minimum deal.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I mostly agree based on last season, however in 2020-21 he did score 15 goals in 19 AHL games.. I can see why there might still be some intrigue.

That's what people are looking at, I think, but 15 goals versus only 3 assists (and 13G-4A the year before) kind of says to me that he wasn't actually generating any offense, he was just taking advantage of a weird AHL season to pick up some opportunistic goals.

In as much as he has any offensive skills, it's basically "crash the net and hope the rebound comes near me." There's a role for players whose offensive skill set is limited to that, provided they do some other things, but Gadjovich isn't much of a defensive player either (probably because he can't skate), so he's pretty much limited to face-punching.

Improving his skating and defensive play would go a long way to securing him an NHL role, and both are always a possibility, but I'd generally bet against it.

Regardless, he's not going to make much money or term, so I can't see any reason to get upset about his contract in and of itself - he can always be waived and serve a useful role with the Barracuda.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'd argue that it's more draft pedigree than anything...that's how the Sharks managed to get something useful for Mirco Mueller when it was obvious his development either got f***ed up or he was just awful from the start. If Gadjovich got drafted in the 5th round, I highly doubt he would've been on the Sharks roster last year.

Eggdoh

Aug 25, 2022
I'd argue that it's more draft pedigree than anything...that's how the Sharks managed to get something useful for Mirco Mueller when it was obvious his development either got f***ed up or he was just awful from the start. If Gadjovich got drafted in the 5th round, I highly doubt he would've been on the Sharks roster last year.
James Sheppard, Nick Merkley, Luke Kunin, Gadjovich... The Sharks do seem to take their fair share of flyers on youngish first round picks that have struggled.

Reactions: DG93

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He's not though
Yes he is and even if you disagree what possible downside is there in having him on this terrible roster as a spare forward making league minimum?

At worst he can take a regular shift and throw down with heavyweights. At best maybe he improves his foot speed and becomes more of a physical presence between whistles.

I’ll certainly take him over Weatherby or Reedy, soft forwards who are just as useless 5v5, any day.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Yes he is and even if you disagree what possible downside is there in having him on this terrible roster as a spare forward making league minimum?

At worst he can take a regular shift and throw down with heavyweights. At best maybe he improves his foot speed and becomes more of a physical presence between whistles.

I’ll certainly take him over Weatherby or Reedy, soft forwards who are just as useless 5v5, any day.
I dunno Reedy actually potted some goals. I’d certainly prefer 10 or so goals from a fourth liner rather than a fight every night.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Gadjovich is a perfectly fine 13th forward for the level of competitiveness the team is currently at. With just a little work on his skating he could be a decent fourth liner. He’s still relatively young.

But nobody wants the Sharks at that level.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
But nobody wants the Sharks at that level.
Upgrading the 13th forward is not gonna make the Sharks a good team. Gadj is there to bust some heads if someone tries to take liberties with our (few) skilled players. If he doesn’t improve the rest of his game he’ll be dumped long before the Sharks are trying to compete for a playoff spot again.

It’s just not a big deal. I’d understand the complaints if Gadjovich’s presence on the roster was forcing a promising young player to be waived but that is not the case.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

Eggdoh

Aug 25, 2022

I certainly don't mind having a 13th forward who can be physical. It seems like the Sharks have been lacking in that department for a while now, though I'd bet Grier's moves help fix that (all other considerations aside).

I don't think calling Reedy and Weatherby useless is fair though. Reedy scored at a good clip for a 4th liner, and (in my viewings) seemed to scor the type of dirty, net-front scramble goal that have been in short supply for the Sharks recently. Weatherby certainly needs to improve, but it was brain- and footspeed, not grit that seemed to be lagging for him. He's got a useful frame, has some skill, and seems like a good teammate. I hope they give him opportunities this season to build on what he did last season. Rookies hit walls, it happens.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad