Recalled/Assigned: 2022-23 season

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Wiesblatt and Coe getting sent down this early can’t be a good sign. Doesn’t sound like any of the 2020 draft picks have stood out in a positive way during rookie/training camp.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't read it like that. I read it more like "definitely not YET ready for NHL".
Agreed. It was clear this off-season that Grier was trying to get as many experienced players into the lineup as possible so the 20 year olds can continue to develop and maybe see time later in the season. I’m honestly expecting no rookies to make the squad.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Wiesblatt and Coe getting sent down this early can’t be a good sign. Doesn’t sound like any of the 2020 draft picks have stood out in a positive way during rookie/training camp.
Neither are ready. Neither play a pro-style game yet. Coe doesn't have the physical edge to match his frame, and Wiesblatt doesn't affect play offensively enough to stick yet. I'd say Raska, Bordeleau, Robins, Gushchin all being around still is a good sign.

They also said they were cutting early because of Europe, but good morning, good trolling to you

Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Neither is ready. Neither play a pro-style game yet. Coe doesn't have the physical edge to match his frame, and Wiesblatt doesn't affect play offensively enough to stick yet. I'd say Raska, Bordeleau, Robins, Gushchin all being around still is a good sign.

They also said they were cutting early because of Europe, but good morning, good trolling to you

Disappointed Coe's not sticking around, but I'm more surprised that Robins and Gushchin are. Ultimately, all three are likely more than a year away, while Bordeleau and Eklund are less than a year away.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Disappointed Coe's not sticking around, but I'm more surprised that Robins and Gushchin are. Ultimately, all three are likely more than a year away, while Bordeleau and Eklund are less than a year away.
Clearly its not related to height.

• Haha

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, super weird for two guys who played Jr last season and were drafted outside of the first round not to be NHL regulars yet.

Edit: my bad, Ozzy was a 1st rounder at 31.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I’m not surprised that Coe was sent down early. He plays on the perimeter and avoids contact. He’s never going to make the NHL that way. He needs to learn how to use his size. I would staple him to McCue on the Cuda‘s 4th line. Pucks in, pucks out, win board battles, crash the net and bang home some garbage goals. He has the skill to do more but he needs to be able to play that game if he ever wants to make the Sharks.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I’m not surprised that Coe was sent down early. He plays on the perimeter and avoids contact. He’s never going to make the NHL that way. He needs to learn how to use his size. I would staple him to McCue on the Cuda‘s 4th line. Pucks in, pucks out, win board battles, crash the net and bang home some garbage goals. He has the skill to do more but he needs to be able to play that game if he ever wants to make the Sharks.
McCue is going back to London - he's not AHL eligible.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah, super weird for two guys who played Jr last season and were drafted outside of the first round not to be NHL regulars yet.

Edit: my bad, Ozzy was a 1st rounder at 31.
Never said I expected Wiesblatt or Coe to make the NHL this season but being the very first training camp cuts, alongside two guys in Hamaliuk and Russell who are likely ticketed for the ECHL, doesn't say great things about the state of their development.

Obviously they are both still young but typically prospects who go on to have long NHL careers are at least pushing for a roster spot by their D+3 season. Recent Sharks picks who have made it like Ferraro, Labanc, Tierney and Nieto all did.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
alongside two guys in Hamaliuk and Russell who are likely ticketed for the ECHL, doesn't say great things about the state of their development.
It doesnt say anything, it simply says they know they are going to be in the AHL so they want to send them down right away to be in the AHL. The other guys are likely just bodies for now.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Never said I expected Wiesblatt or Coe to make the NHL this season but being the very first training camp cuts, alongside two guys in Hamaliuk and Russell who are likely ticketed for the ECHL, doesn't say great things about the state of their development.

Obviously they are both still young but typically prospects who go on to have long NHL careers are at least pushing for a roster spot by their D+3 season. Recent Sharks picks who have made it like Ferraro, Labanc, Tierney and Nieto all did.
While I agree with most of what you’re saying and I’ve been lower on Ozzy and Coe for awhile, I think the issue is the generalization to other 2020 picks for no other reason than to start shit or trash DWJr. Bords and Raska have already played NHL games, Robins and Gushchin are still with the club as well.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

With how many NHL regulars Grier brought in, I don't think many people were expecting them to make the NHL roster, which is a good thing. I think we all agree the development of prospects have been subpar, Checkovich and Chmelevski being better examples. Hamaliuk was a gamble boom/bust prospect where injuries have derailed his development, and were a distinct red flag when he was drafted, and your diagnosis looks correct. As for the 2020 prospects, I figure an extra year or two of patience is needed considering how the CHL was disrupted due to the overreaction to Covid. If one of Wiesblatt or Coe can develop into a competent bottom-6 player for a few years, then those picks are a win, statistically speaking.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I think we all agree the development of prospects have been subpar, Checkovich and Chmelevski being better examples.
You are using a 6th and a 7th round pick who played in the AHL and actually played a handful of games in the NHL as evidence of subpar development? I think the sentence quoted is evidence that some people here get caught up in over rating some of our prospects. The vast majority of 6th and 7th round picks are complete busts.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
You are using a 6th and a 7th round pick who played in the AHL and actually played a handful of games in the NHL as evidence of subpar development? I think the sentence quoted is evidence that some people here get caught up in over rating some of our prospects. The vast majority of 6th and 7th round picks are complete busts.

I'm not sure we can say that the book has been written on Chmelevski's career, either (or for that matter, Chekhovich's, though he seems to be pretty much locked into competent but unexceptional KHL player status).

Yeah, he's never going to be a top six NHL player, but that was an oversell of his abilities that I don't think anyone in the business ever believed.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

Both were looking like steals comparative to their draft position in their D+1 and D+2 years. Checkovich was looking like a decent prospect with short bursts in the AHL and the declined rapidly with extended time there, which on the surface looks concerning. That doesn't mean he would be an NHL regular, but at least and AHL regular/tweener. Chmelevski was looking like a competent 4th liner with 3rd line potential who is getting pushed out due to Mike Grier wanting remake the bottom-6 and put his stamp on the team. I do like that Grier addressed a depth issue, it is just too bad that it means we lose a competent player for nothing in the process, like with Balcers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad