GDT: 2022-23 season game 9 LA Kings vs Winnipeg Jets @7:30pm 10/27/22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sure, there are places where chemistry could improve things. Cute plays at the blue line need to go away. Doughty's drop pass to Ardvidsson at the redline didn't result in anything bad, but that needs to be taken out of the King's game.

Iafallo is injured & Byfield looks exposed without a stable vet on his wing. Moore, Byfield, Kempe might be able to carry him, but will cause problems on the other lines.

Well, so does Kopitar right now.

Byfield was playing with all the confidence in the world with those two and it was good for his growth AND the team.

I guess my point, to circle back around to my first response, was that coaching is trying so hard to insulate/appease Kopitar that it hurts the rest of the lineup. Of course, in this case, the Iafallo injury is the unfortunate domino.

It's amazing what you can only see when you are in the fishbowl, as opposed to getting outside the bowl.....

Everyone and their brother IN this forum, is saying Kopitar is done, he's this he's that etc, yet when you get OUTSIDE the bowl....it's obvious Kopitar is still one of the most well respected players out there, and one of the toughest to play against, and that's coming from PLAYERS WHO PLAY AGAINST HIM..... but yea....

Well respected and liked, no doubt.

But the guy has been on the red side of the ledger this entire calendar year and it's not getting better, and none of those quotes are from any more recent.

Look no further than the playoffs where Danault was over 70% GF% and Kopitar was absolutely drowning.

There's no shame in saying Kopitar is a legend but Father Time is here to collect.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Ok, the line combinations are not why this team is losing. Dumb individual plays resulting in high quality chances are. If the King's can cut down on the stupid mistakes, they'll start racking up the wins.

Reducing Kopi's TOI: They have Kopitar & Danault & no one capable of filling the 3C & we're going to replace Kopitar's ice time. :laugh: I'm all for getting Kopi an easier role. How is Kupari looking? Surely we can run Fiala, Kupari, Kempe as the 1st line.

When you have players rowing in different directions, yes, its the line combinations.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
4th line Fiala...gonna be hard to Kovalchuk a guy for 8 years but I'm sure they'll try.

Wait, this guy who has a penchant for floaty defense and inconsistent efforts isn't an elite checker?

Rob Blake and TM, evergreen

1666982791140.png

Rapidly losing faith in Blake, who appears to be awesome at getting a bunch of great parts that aren't being used appropriately, but refuses to address the Art Howe in the room.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Byfield was playing with all the confidence in the world with those two and it was good for his growth AND the team.

I guess my point, to circle back around to my first response, was that coaching is trying so hard to insulate/appease Kopitar that it hurts the rest of the lineup. Of course, in this case, the Iafallo injury is the unfortunate domino.

Well respected and liked, no doubt.

But the guy has been on the red side of the ledger this entire calendar year and it's not getting better, and none of those quotes are from any more recent.

Look no further than the playoffs where Danault was over 70% GF% and Kopitar was absolutely drowning.

There's no shame in saying Kopitar is a legend but Father Time is here to collect.

No, no shame in it, but again, listen to the people in the game from around the league, they don't share that opinion......

He's knocking on the door, sure, he's 35......I don't see him signing another deal....but I also don't see the walking cane you guys make him out to be using either.....

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No, no shame in it, but again, listen to the people in the game from around the league, they don't share that opinion......

He's knocking on the door, sure, he's 35......I don't see him signing another deal....but I also don't see the walking cane you guys make him out to be using either.....

What's the most recent quote saying anything like that though?

I don't think anyone is saying he's on his way to the old yeller shed on his own behalf, but rather that TM's overusage of him is exposing his waning abilities. I have no doubt he'd be excellent all the time if he had a predictable 17 minutes instead of wondering if he's getting 18 or 24.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Imagine if Todd was consistant about benchings and demotion based off of mistakes. It just sends a strange message to pick and choose like he's doing.

That's making the assumptions that all mistakes and all players that make those mistakes are equal.......not a good assumption when coaching.

What's the most recent quote saying anything like that though?

I don't think anyone is saying he's on his way to the old yeller shed on his own behalf, but rather that TM's overusage of him is exposing his waning abilities. I have no doubt he'd be excellent all the time if he had a predictable 17 minutes instead of wondering if he's getting 18 or 24.

I'm nearly 100% positive (I will allow the smidge chance that I am wrong) that NO player in the NHL. worries about ice time during the game.....unless there's an OBVIOUS benching situation going on....

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'm just glad they are trying things. I would be much more concerned if they continued the status quo.

I do think once this squad finds some comfortable combinations they will do some damage.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm nearly 100% positive (I will allow the smidge chance that I am wrong) that NO player in the NHL. worries about ice time during the game.....unless there's an OBVIOUS benching situation going on....

I disagree, and I'd be hard pressed to find the quote now, but Doughty admitted to 'conserving' energy at one point or another, and it's very clear that neither him nor Kopitar are going all out in the way they could. You can see how gassed they are at the end of games and Kopitar on some powerplays after long shifts.

I'm just glad they are trying things. I would be much more concerned if they continued the status quo.

I do think once this squad finds some comfortable combinations they will do some damage.

I think that's what's so frustrating. We've seen flashes of an absolute friggin juggernaut, I mean that first period was some of the best Kings hockey we've seen in a decade, and most of the back half of the TBL game as well. If they were just totally hapless it would be different, but the jekyll and hyde stuff is maddening, especially when most of the concerns are self inflicted.

On one hand, you would think those would be the easiest things to work out, but not so much when you're doing things like playing Durzi on the left side. Kings are their own worst enemy.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015
That's making the assumptions that all mistakes and all players that make those mistakes are equal.......not a good assumption when coaching.
Well obviously Kopi won't be benched or demoted, but Fiala falls into that next tier of players alongside Danault, Arviddson, Moore and Kempe, and all of them have had some pretty bad mistakes and penalties (Kempe), but we've yet to see any of them face reprecussions for their mistakes. Also, Fiala didn't take a penalty last night.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021

I see it more as Todd doesn't have faith in the other centers & doesn't have options, rather than rewarding Kopitar. Said this summer they should bring in another 3C or better. They have Lizotte & 2 rookies to fill that position. Lizotte's line had 2 terrible shifts to close out the game last night. Can't count on that line. Byfield & JAD aren't better than Lizotte at this point.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
really not happy seeing $8M on the 4th line but hopefully that's a message well received

coaches always talk about those 10 game chunks and we're basically there so hopefully this isn't a one night only kinda deal

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I've always said the reason LA had success with goalies during the Murray/Sutter era was largely due to the tight structured team defense those teams played.

Goaltenders prosper in that kind of environment.

It's not a coincidence that Markstrom turned into a Vezina candidate when Sutter got there.

Quick/Petersen haven't been good, but the way the Kings are currently playing will cause most NHL goaltenders to struggle.

Good luck developing goaltenders when your team is playing like this.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I disagree, and I'd be hard pressed to find the quote now, but Doughty admitted to 'conserving' energy at one point or another, and it's very clear that neither him nor Kopitar are going all out in the way they could. You can see how gassed they are at the end of games and Kopitar on some powerplays after long shifts.

I think that's what's so frustrating. We've seen flashes of an absolute friggin juggernaut, I mean that first period was some of the best Kings hockey we've seen in a decade, and most of the back half of the TBL game as well. If they were just totally hapless it would be different, but the jekyll and hyde stuff is maddening, especially when most of the concerns are self inflicted.

On one hand, you would think those would be the easiest things to work out, but not so much when you're doing things like playing Durzi on the left side. Kings are their own worst enemy.

Conserving energy is not worrying about ice time......there are players like Doughty who crave as much as ice time as you can give them....absolutely, but they aren't worried if they are playing 20 minutes vs 24.....not during the game....when you said Kopitar was wondering about playing 18 vs playing 24, I can almost confidently say, he doesn't give a shit....he just wants to win.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I've always said the reason LA had success with goalies during the Murray/Sutter era was largely due to the tight structured team defense those teams played.

Goaltenders prosper in that kind of environment.

It's not a coincidence that Markstrom turned into a Vezina candidate when Sutter got there.

Quick/Petersen haven't been good, but the way the Kings are currently playing will cause most NHL goaltenders to struggle.

Good luck developing goaltenders when your team is playing like this.

Even so, you expect better than .862. That's appalling.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Even so, you expect better than .862. That's appalling.
I know I'm a Quick homer/fanboy, but I didn't really think those goals against last night were soft.

Did we need an extra save? Sure, and you need your goalie to do that for you sometimes, but I don't think the .722 SV% he had last night was reflective of his play.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
And when a defenseman is traded elsewhere, you'll reply with "there's no guarantee the team was interested in one of the Kings' D."

Plenty of people who have put in legwork to discuss a variety of issues and scenarios who have been met with shit from others (not just you) like:
- you're not a scout
- you're not a coach
- you're not a GM
- you're a hater
- you're ignoring the details
- but...
- RAMPANT BASELESS SPECULATION

Plenty of gatekeepers and reductive thinkers who just blindly accept or defend every managerial decision or will expect people proposing solutions to have access to resources Blake has.

And then when people DO, certain others say "you have too much time on your hands. Go outside."

If there was a semblance of belief there would be good faith attempts to consider the ideas we have put forth, then I'd happily go through teams who need a RHD. But I think we both know you'll find reasons why the proposed ideas won't work.
Not to quote myself, but apparently Carolina just traded Ethan Bear to Vancouver.

So there was a trading partner? Let me guess "you don't want to tradecwithin the division!"

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not to quote myself, but apparently Carolina just traded Ethan Bear to Vancouver.

So there was a trading partner? Let me guess "you don't want to tradecwithin the division!"

Dude, it wasn't a trade it was gift......you want to talk about asset management.....let's GIVE someone away for a 5th........not sure which team got the shittier deal there....

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
That might be because other teams protect the front of their net better. There were many instances where the Jets had easy back door plays. It means the Kings were not protecting the front of net good enough. If you protect the middle of the ice in front of your net, you don't chase the opponent and you keep your opponent to the perimeter.
Definitely agree with this. This quasi-man pass off isn't work because guys aren't getting back to the middle quick enough to clog the middle, and we take too much time between passes to really challenge goalies cross-ice, and do a poor job getting chances off quickly when the pass is made even

Iafallo deserves every penny that he gets. He is one of the most underrated players on the team. He does everything on the ice well, including his defensive assignments. He was vital to the huge success of that 3rd line, which effectively was the best on the team with Vilardi and Byfield.

Grundstrom has outplayed Arvidsson so far? How in the world do you make that assessment?
Arvi's had a bit of trouble with puck control/movement in my opinion so far that's hurting him. Not that I blame him, he's been sick and is coming off back surgery and came back ahead of schedule. Just needs time to adjust

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know I'm a Quick homer/fanboy, but I didn't really think those goals against last night were soft.

Did we need an extra save? Sure, and you need your goalie to do that for you sometimes, but I don't think the .722 SV% he had last night was reflective of his play.

I tend to agree, but how many games with that happening need to go by before we say it just has to be better period? It's the NHL and your goalie absolutely has to give you a save and neither guy has done that with any regularity...at least without giving up a backbreaker to compensate.

Maybe unpopular opinion but the biggest difference between TBL game and last night was Jonathan Quick's play.

In a vacuum I wouldn't blame Quick for last night but the repeated performances by both goaltenders are adding a goal or two against per game. That's why I say that raw .862 isn't enough, regardless of the reason. Everyone needs to be better and that includes the goalies, no matter how much they're getting shelled.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I tend to agree, but how many games with that happening need to go by before we say it just has to be better period? It's the NHL and your goalie absolutely has to give you a save and neither guy has done that with any regularity...at least without giving up a backbreaker to compensate.

Maybe unpopular opinion but the biggest difference between TBL game and last night was Jonathan Quick's play.

In a vacuum I wouldn't blame Quick for last night but the repeated performances by both goaltenders are adding a goal or two against per game. That's why I say that raw .862 isn't enough, regardless of the reason. Everyone needs to be better and that includes the goalies, no matter how much they're getting shelled.

Agreed, I didn't see the 3rd, so not sure about goals 5 and 6....basically I hit the over and went to bed lol, but 1st goal, breakway.....2nd goal.....breakawayish......3rd goal, flat out screen....4th goal, no idea, don't remember.....

But when you say repeated perfomances, when was the last time Quick was "pedestrian" I don't remember per se....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad