GDT: 2022-23 season game 74 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @6:00pm 3/28/23

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
LMAO He is 20 f***ing years old....jesus christ.....are you sure this is the right sport for you? You sure you don't want underground drunken death matches?
Actually he's about to turn 22 in a week or so. And from my arm chair he seems to be behind the play as the speed of the game picks up. He wasn't good last season and he isn't any better this season, though it's only been 8 or so games.

I would like to see some improvement in his game, but then again he may be just the best of a bad lot available at this time.

Reactions: Lt Dan

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Actually he's about to turn 22 in a week or so. And from my arm chair he seems to be behind the play as the speed of the game picks up. He wasn't good last season and he isn't any better this season, though it's only been 8 or so games.

I would like to see some improvement in his game, but then again he may be just the best of a bad lot available at this time.

Yea, I just reread it, I thought he was bitching about Byfield to be honest.....

Bjornfoot is a very solid 3rd pairing D....nothing wrong with that, and I fully expect him to take over for Edler.....and when that happens, I don't expect to hear from Johnny Utah any longer, maybe once a week as the asylum only allows weekly internet rights......

bland

Jul 1, 2004
It's interesting how this board and the rest of the NHL get it about Kaliyev, but TMac for some reason doesn't.

Best guess is that his limited usage is the result of something other than ability. Could be consistency in practice habits, conditioning, any number of things that don't factor into thinking that these guys are video game pixels that live and die purely on skill.

For some reason Kaliyev isn't trusted to be a regular yet, and reading these "popularity contest" posts is all a bit childish and thoroughly unreasonable.

Reactions: Fishhead

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Best guess is that his limited usage is the result of something other than ability. Could be consistency in practice habits, conditioning, any number of things that don't factor into thinking that these guys are video game pixels that live and die purely on skill.

For some reason Kaliyev isn't trusted to be a regular yet, and reading these "popularity contest" posts is all a bit childish and thoroughly unreasonable.
I agree. I think they see Kaliyev in the top 9 for sure, but currently there are no slots for him...This is the first time I think all year they have every fwd healthy (knock on wood) so he is not considered top 11 at the moment and is in a 3 ways tie for 12 fwd...When it comes to the 4th line, they are prob looking for another type of player anyway - he isnt considered valuable for that role.. but I would argue his value on the PP warrants he gets a regular shift on the 4th line.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Yeah, let's break up what's been one of the best lines in the NHL since the new year, move Byfield to 4th line and move Moore or Grundy to top line. Brilliance.
AK can't even get time and you think TM is going to play him on the top line for 15-20 minutes and breaking that up?
Thanks!
Anytime you have an issue with my posts it is an indication I am really onto something.
Look for a lineup shakeup in Edmonton.
I appreciate you taking time away from playing with whatever that is in your avatar.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It's basically two second pairings. They'd get the same amount of TOI thhem until they break e way I see it.
The roster can hold unlimited right now?
So you hold him at the very least for injuries and hopefully getting a draft pick over the summer.
If he gets waived its next season.
Bjo had a good week last week and showed some offensive instincts.
He is decent and he will be up with the Kings, after being resigned for peanuts, or if there are injuries or next year when Edler retires.
Hold them til they break out, if they dip resign them cheaper.
LHD is still the easiest entry point to join the the team.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Personally I think Korpisalo played better than Markstrom. The Flames were putting some good shots on Korpi, with his d-coverage letting him down more than a couple times. The Kings shooters shot selection was below average tonight. In other words I think the Kings made Markstrom looked better than he has played all season.
Yes and Korpi better be in net against Edmonton for his first consecutive starts, handing him the mantle.
Edmonton is now tailgating, looking to draft and pass in the final laps for poll position.
Calgary obviously had the Kings thoroughly scouted, a Sutter trademark the Kings better learn.
The were breaking out perfectly and staying in the open spaces and generating multiple very good opportunities.
Korpi and the the league did their best to keep the Kings on their streal but it was not enough.
Watching the replay of the game, that was a rough night for Edler, first goal aside, he looked so damn slow and moved at a snail’s pace. He makes the likes of Robyn Regehr and Jeff Schultz look like Paul Coffey.

Edler stood out in a bad way in last year’s playoffs, and I fear that he will be badly exposed yet again by Edmonton. His old legs just can’t keep up with their pace.
Bjornfot?
Honestly, if the Kings don’t win the division, I couldn’t care less whether they finish second or third.
Gonna be a tight series, wouldn't you want home ice, IMO.
Vilard should be back in the third line and hopefully Vilardi goes back to it soon as well.
With Fiala and Lizzo, don't ya think?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Edler is tall and has a low jersey #, he's excellent about being at the top of the page, the entrance of the locker room, and tall enough to hide all the other LHD

• Haha
Reactions: Schrute farms

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
I think home ice is overrated. Some players actually prefer starting on the road since the pressure is all on the home team.
The way the series went last year would support your point well.
However the Kings have a better home record this year and worse away record than they did this year.
I would hope we are beating Vegas and Edmo head to head, not losing to borderline playoff teams and playing well.
That would go hand in hand with more points and a higher finish.
Interesting point you made though.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
I think home ice is overrated. Some players actually prefer starting on the road since the pressure is all on the home team.
Home ice can also mean less travel which takes a chunk out of you esp over several rounds...assuming your team has home ice: series length | your team's trips | opponent's trips 4 1 1 5 1 2 6 2 2 7 2 3

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Home ice can also mean less travel which takes a chunk out of you esp over several rounds...assuming your team has home ice: series length | your team's trips | opponent's trips 4 1 1 5 1 2 6 2 2 7 2 3
Travel is becoming less and less of an issue with both Vegas and Seattle in the league. Plus your chart doesn’t take into consideration rounds 2-4. If the Kings have home ice in the first round and win the series, they could still have to travel back to LA for the next series.

AbsentMojo

Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Travel is becoming less and less of an issue with both Vegas and Seattle in the league. Plus your chart doesn’t take into consideration rounds 2-4. If the Kings have home ice in the first round and win the series, they could still have to travel back to LA for the next series.
Each of those is a round trip... so its accounted for. Its a valid point right? Less travel is good I think. I think the odds of series win favor the team with home ice like 55%.

Reactions: Nasti

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
its enough for Edler apprantly...
Touche'.

That said, the time to have this switch was much earlier in the season. I think Blake figured Edler would get banged up again--or other defensemen would--and that would allow for Bjornfot to get time in. Well, it feels like the only injury on the blueline this year was Durzi and both times weren't for terribly long.

Knowing that this year would be a total 180 from last year RE: injuries to defensemen, I would hope that Blake would have passed on bringing Edler back.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Whoa! Childish??? It's always interesting to me when one exhibits the very behavior they are using to slam someone else. Absolutely uncalled for.

Kaliyev is an elite offensive talent---he has an elite shot and a very underrated brilliant passing game. This is a skill box the Kings have rarely had and as a result many of us sense they don't really know how to integrate effectively. He has 8 PP goals in minimal usage---@bland are you telling me Trevor Moore is a better PP threat than Kaliyev??

Hardly unreasonable to expect the Kings to use him more often and more effectively. Also hardly unreasonable to think another franchise that may be more used to elite talent or a more offensive system would know how to use Kaliyev than the Kings.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Gavrikov-Spence

That's the defense the Kings should be rolling right now.

You can re-unite Gavrikov-Roy late in games if you're holding a one goal lead.
It sure seems that the Kings have basically given up on Bjornfot. He couldn’t get in the lineup last year over Troy Stetcher and this year it’s the corpse of Edler he can’t beat pit. Teams usually give high picks the benefit of the doubt too, I just feel like (right or wrong) he is nearing the end of his time in LA.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
It sure seems that the Kings have basically given up on Bjornfot. He couldn’t get in the lineup last year over Troy Stetcher and this year it’s the corpse of Edler he can’t beat pit. Teams usually give high picks the benefit of the doubt too, I just feel like (right or wrong) he is nearing the end of his time in LA.
He will be resigned

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Sadly, I think you’ve just about nailed it.

Short on LHD, have one who is playing pretty damn well in the AHL, and he is given almost zero opportunity. Writing is on the wall.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad