GDT: 2022-23 season game 71 LA Kings vs Calgary Flames @7:30pm 3/20/23

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
BOS's head coach, Claude Julian, joined this club in 2010....then turned around and won the cup the next year. Cool, huh?
True, but Claude also lives a double live as Bill Dauterive

TGE2hIT.gif

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
And all that's playing out here is everything that's played out everywhere else. Excellent regular season team looking like a true contender, faceplanting in an early round deep in a series after a series of misjudgments and no adjustments.

I don't think it's haterade to ask the guy to learn. I don't hate him. Great guy, player friendly, well spoken, this is just an observation of objective history. Call it values if you want, his stubborn adherence to things that have gotten him so-close-yet-so-far repeatedly are still his undoing--we need him to demonstrate that you can teach a relatively old dog new tricks because even now he looks determined to put Edler-Walker out against McDavid, for example.
RJ were you here when Richards was falling apart ? Remember when people would make excuses for Richards based on his resume? “Triple gold” “proven winner” -insert “the shift” video on YouTube-.

That argument was used time and time again because Richards had a history of success which people used as a counter argument. Understandable as well.

People are making excuses for Todd and he has no history of success. That’s what I find impressive. Why are we extending an olive branch and forgetting all his failures? What has he done to deserve that much charity?

Reactions: chris kontos

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don’t know how one can look at Todd and not see the fact that he’s in rare company to be one of the few coaches in history to get reverse swept. that says a lot about him. His system can be good but it’s been historically proven that he’s been a mentally fragile coach that has a very weak concept of deployment and roster use.

But yeah his system can be good despite all the other big flaws that have been proven to exist.

Todd will stop being a failure once he shows some competency in the playoffs. But he hasn’t. And he hasn’t shown any signs of using his brain with the roster either which is why I don’t trust him as a coach.
I think we all know he's in rare company, but for all my criticisms of Todd's handling of prospects, he has earned enough rope to show that he's learned.

I would hate to have myself labeled as a "type of person" based on arguably one of the most painful times of my professional life.

He absolutely needs to get the team going in the playoffs, though. And like it or not, he IS getting the team playing well right now, which is all we can currently judge him on.

I get your concerns. I also have concerns about how well certain younger players are being brought along. But at this point enough has been accomplished with the team this season (and for the prospects) for us to see how it plays out in this final stretch.

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Does it? Whatever you think it says, I’ll take it cause I know I wasn’t one of the ****s to talk a ton of shit on this coach, GM and team that’s brought us one of the best seasons we’ve ever seen thus far.
Hi axle!
Hows every little thing?

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He also choked in Edmonton as well as last year here. I know he will get a pass and maybe he should given Doughty and Arvidsson, but yet again, we had a team in an elimination situation and lost 2 straight with some pretty poor decisions, and ironically to the team he previously couldn't get over the hump.

It's not an exclusively lolSJ thing, it's repetitive history he has to dash, and last year's coaching calls did nothing to instill confidence that he'll do better this time.
Hence I don’t absolve him, with all the questions around the room in SJ. I certainly have concerns and its why I think these play offs will be pivotal, or at least should be.

I‘m still open minded on things but I’m not going to be very charitable should the old concerns start contributing to playoff losses.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He also choked in Edmonton as well as last year here. I know he will get a pass and maybe he should given Doughty and Arvidsson, but yet again, we had a team in an elimination situation and lost 2 straight with some pretty poor decisions, and ironically to the team he previously couldn't get over the hump.

It's not an exclusively lolSJ thing, it's repetitive history he has to dash, and last year's coaching calls did nothing to instill confidence that he'll do better this time.
What has Edmonton done without him, though? They beat the Kings, who were without two very good players, and they beat on a semi-dysfunctional Calgary team who may not make the playoffs this year. Going up against Colorado, did anyone really think they'd win?

Not trying to be argumentative, because I get the frustration and concerns with him, but he did also get Draisaitl going before he left. Has Edmonton done anything with the team (or individuals) since he left? Looks like the team just watches McDavid and Draisaitl put up numbers.

Reactions: Statto

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
With 5 minutes left in game 7 when the score is 1–1. Offensive zone draw. Arvidsson takes the draw. Walker and Edler at the point after an Oilers icing.

When did this happen?

What has Edmonton done without him, though? They beat the Kings, who were without two very good players, and they beat on a semi-dysfunctional Calgary team who may not make the playoffs this year. Going up against Colorado, did anyone really think they'd win?

Not trying to be argumentative, because I get the frustration and concerns with him, but he did also get Draisaitl going before he left. Has Edmonton done anything with the team (or individuals) since he left? Looks like the team just watches McDavid and Draisaitl put up numbers.

This is how I feel as well. There are concerns with Todd, but using Edmonton as evidence really doesn't hold water. The current Oilers are better than what he had and haven't done anything either.

Reactions: King'sPawn

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

Going to chime if you dont mind.. I think the way to look at a coach during the regular season is conceptually wins above replacement.. something that cant really be calculated just guessed at.. so much depends on the roster, injuries etc. But, during the post season, you can definitely see how a coach handles the team - and the resume there does not look good for TMac (having been 1 game from winning a series and losing several times including the famous reverse sweep).

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
When did this happen?
Just the other day he put Arvidsson on the draw and has done it multiple times this year towards the end of a game.
Last year game 7 offensive zone draw didnt he put out AA Lizotte and Brown in a 1-0 game. The play ended with AA handing Mcdavid the puck willingly and Durzi crying to a ref during the play while Mcdavid scored.
So I was joking around but really only half joking.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If it were ONLy the reverse sweep sure

He's lost quite a few playoff series' while being up, and there's a reason he's lost quite a few series 4-3 and 4-2. The longer it goes on, the worse he looks despite having great success in the regular season and a history of talented high-seeded/favorite teams.

looking at raw stats of course is fine but it's the same thought process that makes one go 'see joe thornton is a fine playoff performer and not at all the problem'
When other teams get down in a series they turn up the gain on the physical play and get desperate. Todd's teams don't know how to respond when this happens and to plant the dagger and twist it.

Reactions: Schrute farms

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Just the other day he put Arvidsson on the draw and has done it multiple times this year towards the end of a game.
Last year game 7 offensive zone draw didnt he put out AA Lizotte and Brown in a 1-0 game. The play ended with AA handing Mcdavid the puck willingly and Durzi crying to a ref during the play while Mcdavid scored.

Did he really put Arvidsson on the draw, or did Danault get tossed?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Going to chime if you dont mind.. I think the way to look at a coach during the regular season is conceptually wins above replacement.. something that cant really be calculated just guessed at.. so much depends on the roster, injuries etc. But, during the post season, you can definitely see how a coach handles the team - and the resume there does not look good for TMac (having been 1 game from winning a series and losing several times including the famous reverse sweep).
Sure, and I appreciate the feedback. And I agree the history doesn't look favorably on his decisions.

I'm just arguing that we have seen some growth in the season, even if it's not yet to our liking. My biggest beefs has been the ice time/deployment with all the younger players, leaning on the vets, and an unbalanced approach to trying to build for the future (which the team needs to start planning for, as Kopitar and Doughty won't be playing for too much longer) while competing for the present and trying to teach the young players how to be winners.

It's not perfect, but we did see Clarke get a lot of minutes in his 9-game stretch. Byfield is on the top line. Vilardi is playing very well. And there's some semblance of a rotation where there's abundance.

My criticisms and concerns remain, but I'm already expecting him to handle things differently in the playoffs compared to last year, when Byfield and other young players both sat out for both playoffs entirely.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
The rebuild is unconventional, the deployment of the kids is puzzling, changing the lineups after dominating wins, won’t call a time out when the team is losing focus and on and on.

I don’t trust Todd and I loved to dunk on his devoted children that post here (before I ignored them for their excessive one note repetition), but we are witnessing one of the best seasons in the history of this team. So many guys have their names on the cup who were chokers, until they weren’t. They really do have a good chance make a deep run.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Hes put Arvidsson on the draw multiple times without Danault getting tossed

I think you are wrong......but A. I don't remember, and B. I don't really care enough to go back and forth, but what you are saying, makes ZERO sense, I find that when I've watched, when Arvidsson takes a draw, it's because Danault has been kicked....

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
You mean after Danault got kicked? Arvidsson has only taken 45 faceoffs all year.

Kopitar and Danault both completed shifts, so yes the next line was out there. What was the other option? They were already shortened to 3 lines. In a tight game you always start your weakest in the offensive zone, especially when they are next up anyway. That McD is out there cant be controlled, they get last change at home.

It’s simply combining unrelated things without context to somehow make a point that a coach is terrible.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The rebuild is unconventional, the deployment of the kids is puzzling, changing the lineups after dominating wins, won’t call a time out when the team is losing focus and on and on.

I don’t trust Todd and I loved to dunk on his devoted children that post here (before I ignored them for their excessive one note repetition), but we are witnessing one of the best seasons in the history of this team. So many guys have their names on the cup who were chokers, until they weren’t. They really do have a good chance make a deep run.
Yeah, i'd want nothing more in my sports life than to have the Kings win the this years Sc playoffs and make a good/deep run. I really want TM to prove the doubters wrong and get the monkey off his back. It would be awesome. I would even put in my sig going forward that i was 100% wrong about TM. Heck, if he won a SC this year, it would go down as one of the greatest coaching year's ever -- and i'd give him that respect/props. He'd legit be considered a potential HOF type coach if he won.

But i think history says this is wishful thinking and extremely unlikely to happen. Koala's don't change their colors.

Reactions: Maynard

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think we all know he's in rare company, but for all my criticisms of Todd's handling of prospects, he has earned enough rope to show that he's learned.

I would hate to have myself labeled as a "type of person" based on arguably one of the most painful times of my professional life.

He absolutely needs to get the team going in the playoffs, though. And like it or not, he IS getting the team playing well right now, which is all we can currently judge him on.

I get your concerns. I also have concerns about how well certain younger players are being brought along. But at this point enough has been accomplished with the team this season (and for the prospects) for us to see how it plays out in this final stretch.

But it's not just one of those times. It's happened repeatedly, without fail, with the same patterns every time.

If you want to be known as a good doctor rather than a bad doctor, but the patients keep dying horribly till you leave at which point they start miraculously recovering, you're gonna get labeled.

San Jose went straight to the SCF. Edmonton went straight to the playoffs and to the WCF within a year and a half.

He's widely known as a coach whose teams don't add up to the sum of their parts with him under the helm and that's the RULE so far with no exceptions.

And I agree i'm not trying to be combative/argumentative--credit where it's due, he's found a nice mix, has the systems dialed in, has the team humming right now but despite the ongoing concerns. The whole THING this year rides on whether he has learned on ANY OF THE ABOVE and thus far, even up to this week, the answer is a resounding "f*** no." I'm rooting for him but he has no desire to do things differently. Whether that is admirable or futile will be a matter of results.

I know some people feel like that's splitting hairs because every team is flawed somehow and hey, we're the best team since the break, so I'll do you one better. This team will go down with Edler-Walker on the ice inexplicably at home against the other teams top line and I'll make that call now just like last January I said word for f***ing word that AA will lose us a playoff series. Oh, how I want to be so, so wrong, but it's so predictable already.

now has he earned the chance to prove the past is the past? Absolutely. Magnificent results thus far this regular season. But much like no one in TO cares about the first round, we're not really measuring on the regular season anymore.

Last edited:

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
The reverse sweep criticism is unfair. Claude Julien got reverse swept in 2010 and won the cup the next season, didn't he? After losing the first two games of the final and having to win 4 of 5, including game 7 on the road. There's a reason it's a statistical anomaly.

But the lack of adjustments critique is accurate. One doesn't need to comb through stats from years ago or even back to the EDM series. Look at our 3 v 3 play this year. We've sucked balls all year and are doing nothing differently. We've straight up given away the bonus point without ever even generating a shot in OT a few times if I recall. Might wind up being the difference between 1st and 3rd in the division too. That sort of "usually wrong but never in doubt" mindset is what worries me about TM.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I think you are wrong......but A. I don't remember, and B. I don't really care enough to go back and forth, but what you are saying, makes ZERO sense, I find that when I've watched, when Arvidsson takes a draw, it's because Danault has been kicked....
I don't remember an instance from last year's playoffs, but there have been several occasions where Arvidsson out there (with another winger) to take an end zone draw in 3v3 OT.
I specifically remember one where he lost the draw and lost the game immediately after.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't remember an instance from last year's playoffs, but there have been several occasions where Arvidsson out there (with another winger) to take an end zone draw in 3v3 OT.
I specifically remember one where he lost the draw and lost the game immediately after.

He's taken a total of 59 faceoffs this year.....he's lost 3 of them in the defensive zone.....out of total of 5 taken in the defensive zone.....

Not sure why this is even a point of contention.....other than see.....it's the coaches fault....nonsense...for something that has happened FIVE times all year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad