GDT: 2022-23 season game 5 LA Kings vs Nashville Predators @6:30pm 10/18/22

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Agreed, I just don't see it working as intended, too many options for one time shots on both sides, ESPN nailed it last night, those cross ice passes, make it hell on the goaltender....and they are getting through...
But nobody except the 2nd unit shoots. The 5 on 3 was a passing drill unill the 2nd unit got out there and started shooting. Kempe/Kopitar kept trying to force the pass into the middle and it was intercepted and cleared. Someone on the top unit needs to grab the pp by the balls and shoot! 1/8 last night and the best chances were by the 2nd unit.

Reactions: kinghock

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
I think Vilardi's hands in close, his shot, and his passing ability have always been well recognized by most people who post here. The question has been his health, and why when he is healthy the Kings did not put him in better position to demonstrate the strengths of his game.

I think most teams in the league are invested in their young players, but this is a process and not every player is on the same development timeline (i.e. Kempe/Vilardi). I don't buy into the argument that the Kings need to put these kids in better positions to succeed - that is already happening. Gabe is succeeding this year because he matured in his mental and physical approach/preparation, a complete 180 from what we saw last year.

I realize that all of us here are hardcore fans and have strong opinions about how these players should be utilized on the team, but most of it really comes down to the player giving the team no choice but to insert them into a meaningful spot in the lineup (much in the way that Vilardi has done this year and Durzi last year).

Last edited:

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
How do you interpret the game score composition, Roy vs Anderson defense impact for example? Is Roy's defensive impact above average that it helps limit goals against? Or is it saying he's a liability and is creating goals against?

When one category is going to the left of the line it means that player was a net negative that game for that specific category (Roy's defense was bad, in this instance). Valuing defense isn't just limited to goals against for those; it also incorporates the quality of chances being given up when that player is on the ice.

Reactions: bouncesonly

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

When one category is going to the left of the line it means that player was a net negative that game for that specific category (Roy's defense was bad, in this instance). Valuing defense isn't just limited to goals against for those; it also incorporates the quality of chances being given up when that player is on the ice.

So if the numbers are net, if you add both teams should it be equal on both sides of the line? Like alot of the more recent graphs show most kings to the right, does that mean they dominated the game? Or can Nashville have a similar skew, and should only be used relatively vs teammates on any given chart?

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
So if the numbers are net, if you add both teams should it be equal on both sides of the line? Like alot of the more recent graphs show most kings to the right, does that mean they dominated the game? Or can Nashville have a similar skew, and should only be used relatively vs teammates on any given chart?

Remember the game was essentially a standoff. So in the end their chart looks similar to the Kings, slightly better actually. It obviously was skewed more towards Nashville before that third period explosion.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Remember the game was essentially a standoff. So in the end their chart looks similar to the Kings, slightly better actually. It obviously was skewed more towards Nashville before that third period explosion.

So that’s my question as to my naked eye, the chart would say most kings, and the kings as a whole were “above the average line” if Nashville was as well then I don’t know what the baseline for “good” is, if most players are rated that way?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I don't think those numbers will cancel out for each team, rather it looks something like expected GF and against, probably either relative to their own team or to their own "average" score for a game. Other things like rel corsi and such are likely taken into account as well.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
But nobody except the 2nd unit shoots. The 5 on 3 was a passing drill unill the 2nd unit got out there and started shooting. Kempe/Kopitar kept trying to force the pass into the middle and it was intercepted and cleared. Someone on the top unit needs to grab the pp by the balls and shoot! 1/8 last night and the best chances were by the 2nd unit.

Umm....I was referencing the PK

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Valardi isn't backing down from anyone this year. He's throwing hits, and using is size to his advantage now. Add his scoring touch, and you have a potential old school power forward.
The other thing I’d add is that he probably now trusts his back and his body.

I watched an interview with footballer Michael Owen and he used to be lightening quick. He injured his Hamstring badly in a game vs Leeds and he was never the same. He talked about how he never really trusted his body again, he’d get lots of smaller injuries and it affected his game. He stooped doing things that would make him do long sprints because he thought his hamstrings would go again. Not trusting his body changed him as a player.

That could very much help explain some of the extra drive and jump in his skating.

Last edited:

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
...footballer Michael Owen...

You keep using that word... | You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think ...

;) just kidding from across the pond :)

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Rick Knickleback

May 18, 2022
Long Beach
All the more reason to give QB some of those minutes that Anze's getting. It's not like the #1 unit is lighting things on fire. And eating into Kopitar/Danault's minutes on the PP keeps them fresher for the PK. I think Byfield's poise and decision-making has been noticeably better. He's done a good job of slowing things down and then making the right play.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I think most teams in the league are invested in their young players, but this is a process and not every player is on the same development timeline (i.e. Kempe/Vilardi). I don't buy into the argument that the Kings need to put these kids in better positions to succeed - that is already happening. Gabe is succeeding this year because he matured in his mental and physical approach/preparation, a complete 180 from what we saw last year.

I realize that all of us here are hardcore fans and have strong opinions about how these players should be utilized on the team, but most of it really comes down to the player giving the team no choice but to insert them into a meaningful spot in the lineup (much in the way that Vilardi has done this year and Durzi last year).

We just saw an example of the opposite in full effect in Detroit. They put their kids into prime positions and use their cap capital to support them from underneath - essentially adding a 2nd line via free agency.

The Kings had an established first line that made no difference in requiring a rebuild, drafted the kids, then bought a 2nd line that pushed the skilled kids into unfamiliar roles that were not suited to their skill sets further down the lineup.

The Kings are getting lucky with Vilardi right now - if the plan is to keep all of these kids down the lineup until the very last contractual second and hope that pressure converts them into better players, that is nothing to crow about.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
We just saw an example of the opposite in full effect in Detroit. They put their kids into prime positions and use their cap capital to support them from underneath - essentially adding a 2nd line via free agency.

The Kings had an established first line that made no difference in requiring a rebuild, drafted the kids, then bought a 2nd line that pushed the skilled kids into unfamiliar roles that were not suited to their skill sets further down the lineup.

The Kings are getting lucky with Vilardi right now - if the plan is to keep all of these kids down the lineup until the very last contractual second and hope that pressure converts them into better players, that is nothing to crow about.
I think you could make arguments for either model, but up to this point the Kings have had more success than Detroit. Most younger players are not ready for the rigors of the NHL and need time in the A to work on certain aspects of their game. On LA Kings Insider, they were talking about Fagemo already having an NHL-grade shot but needing to play bigger/stronger and think quicker to succeed at the NHL level.

Lucky or not, Vilardi is making a big impact on this team and it took a reality check for him to understand what he needed to change. Everyone looks at pressure differently. I think that is ultimately what changed Gabe this season. He finally gave up trying to control things he can't and just goes out there and plays the game he loves with the skill level he knows he has. Really refreshing to see. I think a lot of us fall into that self-sabotage trap with certain aspects of life.

I have a 5-year old playing T-ball right now who has progressively been getting better each practice/game. The coach made a great point when I asked him when he plans to move his son to a higher league. He wants him to get as much confidence and development/fundamentals time before moving to a new league where he probably won't be top dog.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
LMAO and yet ESPN is all over how calm and collected and how well Peterson is playing.....

Which....he is.

1st goal by Glass, helluva shot, any former goaltenders in here know how hard that is to stop when you can't set and you don't know the release is coming, that was shot midstride with no hesitation.

2nd goal, one timer, blast, blame the D on letting that pass come through

3rd goal, seeing eye goal, Arvidsson gave up, and Walker took 100% the wrong angle, if he doesn't, he's there before Jeannot....

But yea, shit, forgoet, Dr Hyde...THIS TEAM SUCKS ASS!!! is that it?
Brian Bouche in wrapping up this game said Petersen should have had 1st and 3rd goal.

The posters on this board are not always wrong when you see it differently.
The posters on this board are not shitty fans when we disagree with you.
(Sorry, can't erase above box)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Brian Bouche in wrapping up this game said Petersen should have had 1st and 3rd goal.

The posters on this board are not always wrong when you see it differently.
The posters on this board are not shitty fans when we disagree with you.

(Sorry, can't erase above box)
It's scary the lengths people will go through to defend stoppable shots.

Glass's goal was unscreened from the top of the faceoff circle. NHL goalies are expected to stop it.

The third goal is a rebound/chip in while standing behind the goal line. There were breakdowns, sure, but it was still stoppable.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It's scary the lengths people will go through to defend stoppable shots.

Glass's goal was unscreened from the top of the faceoff circle. NHL goalies are expected to stop it.

The third goal is a rebound/chip in while standing behind the goal line. There were breakdowns, sure, but it was still stoppable.
I can cope with a bad goal or goals because it happens to all goaltenders. This time Cal responded in the right way, he locked it down when it counted. He not needs to build on that.

I think starting him, regardless of how it turns out is the correct decision. He can’t turn it around without being given the opportunity and building on a win, that ended with some good saves is the right time.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I can cope with a bad goal or goals because it happens to all goaltenders. This time Cal responded in the right way, he locked it down when it counted. He not needs to build on that.

I think starting him, regardless of how it turns out is the correct decision. He can’t turn it around without being given the opportunity and building on a win, that ended with some good saves is the right time.
I agree. As goaltending relies so much on mentality, starting with him again is a good building block.

I just hope he decides not to let ANY in tonight. Or ever again ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad