2022-23 Roster Discussion

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm not talking about regulars like Scheif and Helle but players like Samberg, Heinola, Perfetti, etc...

I think Perfetti, Gus and Samberg are the only ones to start out of TC.
I think Kovs is in the PB.
Heinola, Barron, and the rest probably go down.
This is what I think management dows not what I would do.
Scheif Wheeler PLD KC Ehlers Perfetti Lowry Apples Gagner Gus Toni Hark / Barron.
JMo Pionk DD Dillon Schmidt Samberg / Stanley Kovs

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Barron Gus Perfetti Samberg and Ville. I still think they move out one of Dillon or Stanley. Leaning towards Stanley honestly because his cap hit is lower and it's likely easier to move him to a team with Cap issues.

Stanley for Dvorak type trade

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Barron Gus Perfetti Samberg and Ville. I still think they move out one of Dillon or Stanley. Leaning towards Stanley honestly because his cap hit is lower and it's likely easier to move him to a team with Cap issues.

Stanley for Dvorak type trade

Signing Gagner keeps Reichel in the A, relegates Toni to the PB. Everything else the same as it had been.
Barron, Gus, Perfetti, Samberg make the team. Stanley and/or Kovy in the PB. Ville in the A, at least to start the season.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Signing Gagner keeps Reichel in the A, relegates Toni to the PB. Everything else the same as it had been.
Barron, Gus, Perfetti, Samberg make the team. Stanley and/or Kovy in the PB. Ville in the A, at least to start the season.
It would be great to see what chemistry Barron could bring to the 4th (or maybe 3rd?) line..
Is that a wee bit too hopeful?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I really hope another forward is brought in purely to increase the competition for those bottom 6 jobs. Even if it's a top 6 guy it puts more pressure on perfetti and wheeler to produce which is a good thing. At the peak of our success the biggest factor we had was competition throughout the lineup. Sometimes it takes a guy to come out of nowhere like a tanev. Gift wrapping a roster spots for guys like poganski and toninato clearly showed the importance.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm with you. Barring a trade its near certain it looks like this, just with the lines & pairings tweaked to Bowness' liking. My only change is to have Samberg starting in the A, particularly if Kovacevic plays his way onto the opening day line up, rather than being a healthy scratch now that he's waivers exempt. Were that to happen Schmidt could play his strong side & better resemble a $5.95 million cap hit defensemen. With Little off the books Chevy can return to managing the daily cap hit, so I'm sure the days of us running a full 23 man roster will be limited, with Samberg, Heinola & Gustaffson all spending time in the AHL even if its simply on paper during a home stretch.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 6.53.42 PM.png

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It would be great to see what chemistry Barron could bring to the 4th (or maybe 3rd?) line..
Is that a wee bit too hopeful?

I don't think so. Barring something unexpected, Harkins and Barron are probably the bottom 6 LWs. Which is 3rd and which is 4th will be up to them. It may be affected by which linemates each works best with.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The depth on this team is pretty bad.
When you can't sign free agents, and you've traded draft picks to fill holes, that tends to happen. I feel like the LW depth on this team is interesting, you have Barron, Harkins, Maenalanen, Torgersson who all have something they can bring battling for spots in TC. C depth took a hit with Nathan Smith choosing not to sign. But you have some options with Gustafsson, Perfetti, even Barrron beyond the top 3 centres. RW depth depends on how fast Lucius or Lambert grow as players. Of all the RWs the Jets have tried to plug into the 4th line, I like the Gagner addition best. I like Reichel as a depth player, not an every day starter.

Defensive depth is among the best in the league. There's finally no Beaulieu, Sbisa or Bitettos between the AHL and NHL team, and no Sami Nikus either.

Goalie depth needs someone to pass Berdin this year.

I like the Fonz's roster as potentially what you could see, maybe some tweaks or different combos on defense, but probably you are looking at Perfetti, Samberg and Barron making the team as ELCs, Gustafsson and Kovacevic graduating from the Moose, and Heinola getting some more time with the Jets this year. Reichel I could see sticking around with a good TC, where maybe he knocks somebody out of the lineup (Toninato?), and at the very least getting the same amount of games as last year. Maenalanen is a complete unknown to me, as to what to expect, but he should be motivated as a last shot to make the NHL.

Lucius and Torgersson get development years, hopefully Simon Lundmark steps up in his 2nd pro season to get some attention from management.

I think Chisholm and Gawanke dominate the A this year, which could make for some tough decisions for Chevy, or turn 5th round picks into some trade value.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Perfetti-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Dubois-Ehlers
Harkins-Lowry-Appleton
Barron-Gagner-Toninato
Gustafsson

Morrissey-Schmidt
Stanley-Pionk
Dillon-DeMelo
Samberg

Hellebuyck
Berdin*

I think we see a guy like Malcolm Subban get claimed off waivers or something at that tier.

Reactions: Peachkings1922

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
A lot of people pencilling in Kovacevic as a 7th or 8th D.

That makes sense to me if the long-discussed trade of a D for a forward actually happens, but if they stand pat, I think they might try and send him down to the Moose on the opening day of the season. There will be a lot of teams trying to do the same, so there's a pretty good chance he sneaks by without being claimed.

Also, put me in the camp of believing we'll be one of the teams doing a waiver claim, as opposed to a trade.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Perfetti, Barron and Samberg are shoe ins. Gus is highly probable due to waivers.

As of now I see it as:

Perfetti Sheifele Ehlers
Conner Dubois Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Appelton
Barron Gus Gagner

JoMo DeMelo
Dillion Schmidt
Samberg Pionk

Heinola may take Dillions spot if he is dealt.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No one can load up 3 lines with top players. The way you get depth is to play a complementary player on each of your top 2 lines instead of just jamming your 6 best forwards onto your top 2 lines. This gives you 2 top players to build a dynamic third line around.
I don't think we have enough depth for that. If we put our top 6 forwards on the 1st 2 lines we still have a rookie (Perfetti) and an aging Wheeler in there. No one below our top 6 comes anywhere near being described as dynamic.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think we have enough depth for that. If we put our top 6 forwards on the 1st 2 lines we still have a rookie (Perfetti) and an aging Wheeler in there. No one below our top 6 comes anywhere near being described as dynamic.

A case could have been made to do this type of thing last year when we had Stastny and Copp but as of now I agree that we don't have enough depth of talent for it. But if we get another good middle 6 option then it might be more feasible.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I think Perfetti, Barron and Samberg are shoe ins. Gus is highly probable due to waivers.

Agreed. This is probably what happens.

I don't see Dillion being moved. They should make a spot for Heinola, but history tells us they won't.

Perfetti Sheifele Ehlers
Conner Dubois Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Appelton
Barron Gus Gagner

JoMo DeMelo
Dillion Schmidt
Samberg Pionk

I'd like to see something like this:
Lowry - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Dubois - Appelton
Perfetti - Gagner - Wheeler
Barron - Gustafsson - Harkins

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola -Schmidt

Basically spread the skilled players over 3 lines and put a more defensive oriented player with each pair. It should improve defensive play and provide more depth.

They don't need to be. The third player on a line should be a forechecker or defensive player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I don't see Dillion being moved. They should make a spot for Heinola, but history tells us they won't.

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola -Schmidt

Basically spread the skilled players over 3 lines and put a more defensive oriented player with each pair. It should improve defensive play and provide more depth.

They don't need to be. The third player on a line should be a forechecker or defensive player.

I think we need another middle 6 player before we can run something like this. I don't really like your third line as all three are pass first players. Neither Gagner or Wheeler have much of a shot any longer and while Perfetti can shoot he prefers to pass. I just don't see that line scoring enough goals due to duplication of simar skills. Ideally we put each with a primary shooter.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
When you can't sign free agents, and you've traded draft picks to fill holes, that tends to happen. I feel like the LW depth on this team is interesting, you have Barron, Harkins, Maenalanen, Torgersson who all have something they can bring battling for spots in TC. C depth took a hit with Nathan Smith choosing not to sign. But you have some options with Gustafsson, Perfetti, even Barrron beyond the top 3 centres. RW depth depends on how fast Lucius or Lambert grow as players. Of all the RWs the Jets have tried to plug into the 4th line, I like the Gagner addition best. I like Reichel as a depth player, not an every day starter.

Defensive depth is among the best in the league. There's finally no Beaulieu, Sbisa or Bitettos between the AHL and NHL team, and no Sami Nikus either.

Goalie depth needs someone to pass Berdin this year.

I like the Fonz's roster as potentially what you could see, maybe some tweaks or different combos on defense, but probably you are looking at Perfetti, Samberg and Barron making the team as ELCs, Gustafsson and Kovacevic graduating from the Moose, and Heinola getting some more time with the Jets this year. Reichel I could see sticking around with a good TC, where maybe he knocks somebody out of the lineup (Toninato?), and at the very least getting the same amount of games as last year. Maenalanen is a complete unknown to me, as to what to expect, but he should be motivated as a last shot to make the NHL.

Lucius and Torgersson get development years, hopefully Simon Lundmark steps up in his 2nd pro season to get some attention from management.

I think Chisholm and Gawanke dominate the A this year, which could make for some tough decisions for Chevy, or turn 5th round picks into some trade value.

Mostly agree. I'm a little intrigued by Maenalanen. He scored pretty well in Liiga last year and has been good enough to represent Finland internationally quite a few times, including 11 pts in 7 gms at the WJC in '14. Did Jets sign him just for the Moose? Did he decide to come to NA just to play in the AHL? I'm not predicting anything from him, but I will be watching him in TC with a little optimism.

I think you (and pretty much everyone else) underrate Toninato a bit. For a low cost depth player, I think he has performed well in the role he has been given. Keep in mind who he has played with most of the time and his very limited minutes. Under those circumstances, his 14 pts in 77 gms is actually pretty good.

He can play all 3 F positions, he skates well, he is big enough to be a bit physical, his shot is not bad and he doesn't make a lot of mental mistakes. Almost an ideal 4th line/PB player. The only real weakness I see is that I don't think he could move up to top 6 as an injury replacement. Truth is though, we have probably elevated worse players that way when we have had injuries.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

As of now I see it as:

Perfetti Sheifele Ehlers
Conner Dubois Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Appelton
Barron Gus Gagner

JoMo DeMelo
Dillion Schmidt
Samberg Pionk

The waiver issue has been mentioned several times regarding Gus and Kovacevic. I don't think the risk of them being claimed at the end of TC is large. A lot of good players slip through at that time every year. Few are claimed. A month or two later and they would probably be picked up by someone, but that is a different story.

Your lineup matches my guess. Toninato is the likely 13th F, IMO. Though he will start if some F is injured in TC or if any of the bottom 6 F have a bad TC.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015

As of now I see it as:

Perfetti Sheifele Ehlers
Conner Dubois Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Appelton
Barron Gus Gagner

JoMo DeMelo
Dillion Schmidt
Samberg Pionk

I`m wondering if we are all collectively "missing out" on Barron`s potential value to the team as a C, rather than a winger? I believe that he was, prior to coming here, consistently developing as a C, but I don`t think he has been looked at here at all in this position. Am I wrong on this?

I really hope that the Jet`s brass haven`t limited their thinking on where Barron can potentially contribute most given their narrow minded view that the 3rd line C position defacto falls to Lowry.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I`m wondering if we are all collectively "missing out" on Barron`s potential value to the team as a C, rather than a winger? I believe that he was, prior to coming here, consistently developing as a C, but I don`t think he has been looked at here at all in this position. Am I wrong on this?

I really hope that the Jet`s brass haven`t limited their thinking on where Barron can potentially contribute most given their narrow minded view that the 3rd line C position defacto falls to Lowry.

I don't know enough about Barron and where he played prior to coming here to know but I think he played wing on Gus's line in the playoffs for the Moose which is why I configured my lines as is. If he can play center well then he gives us another option. But then that likely leaves Gus out of the lineup and I think we also need to see what we have in him. Imo he has a game that most closely resembles Copp and I would hate to lose out on another Copp type player of he develops well.

The coaching staff will have its work cut out for it this camp imo.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - Pionk
Heinola -Schmidt

IMO you need players with more offensive talent than Apples and Lowry in your top 6. Too many offensive chances will go to die if Lowry is playing on your first line. Skilled players need other skilled players to produce, especially as they will be matched up against the other team's top players, and every team stacks their top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad