Speculation: 2022-23 Roster Building, Trade Rumors & Free Agents

What direction would you like to see the Bruins go?

• Convince Bergeron and Krejci to come back and go for it one more time.

Votes: 46 24.1%
  • Continue trying to be competitive, but bring in some new faces (Miller/Kadri/Strome/Trocheck/etc)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Combination of A and signing some diamonds in the rough. (D.Strome/Turcotte/Kakko

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • Mini Rebuild: lose this year, sell our UFA's, draft high, spend big in 2023 and try to get back in.

Votes: 46 24.1%
  • Short Rebuild: Sell anyone over 30, build around McAvoy, Pasta and Swayman.

Votes: 55 28.8%
  • TNT: Blow it up. Sell anyone over 25, including Pasta and Lindholm. Draft a new core.

Votes: 13 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
A playoff contender would absolutely take Nosek for only one year. A team needing to get to the floor likely takes Reilly. Foligno they are probably stuck with. Smith i could see them flipping for an asset as well.
If the Bruins are in a sniff of a playoff spot, can't see them selling any roster pieces off: see Eriksson + 2016.

Sweeney needs to make his moves between now and free agency if he hopes to make any definitive roster moves, otherwise we are likely rolling a similar roster from the past two seasons and hoping for the best.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
If the Bruins are in a sniff of a playoff spot, can't see them selling any roster pieces off: see Eriksson + 2016.

Sweeney needs to make his moves between now and free agency if he hopes to make any definitive roster moves, otherwise we are likely rolling a similar roster from the past two seasons and hoping for the best.
Thats the unfortunate thing. I think they really need to look hard at getting some assets for guys on expiring contracts. I dont think Nosek and Smith are two guys who will make or break their playoff chances, hopefully they don't hold onto them for nothing.

Reactions: Gordoff

JerseyBruin

May 29, 2019
They needed more offense and better 5 on 5 play once they have Lindholm in the lineup to be on PK1. When the rest of the top 4 was Gryz and Rielly... OK fine... but they didn't need him anymore once they made they Lindholm deal in my book.
So who were these offense forces that Forbort was blocking - an injured Gryz, Reilly , a smaller than Gryz Ahcan ?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Nosek is gone next year either way, whats the point in holding onto him this season when they are already close to the cap. It's not really about upgrading him, but letting a younger player to grow in that spot at a cheaper price. If you can get an asset + allow someone like Stud/Steen/whoever to try and fill his spot at a cheaper price i think you do it.

Well if Bergeron is coming back its to make another run, so you're going to put the best team out you can. If Studnicka comes into camp and outplays Nosek for that 4th line C spot then great. You now can either look to trade Nosek or move him to LW. If Studnicka (or whoever) doesn't outplay Nosek in camp then you still have him.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Well if Bergeron is coming back its to make another run, so you're going to put the best team out you can. If Studnicka comes into camp and outplays Nosek for that 4th line C spot then great. You now can either look to trade Nosek or move him to LW. If Studnicka (or whoever) doesn't outplay Nosek in camp then you still have him.
At the playoffs

Reactions: Estlin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The question is is it within the rules as far as the Cap goes.

If they have to be under the Cap when the season begins and cannot put anyone on LTIR until after the season starts, don't see how they can sign anyone without moving out other players first.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So lots of smoke that the Habs are leaning Slavkovsky at #1, which would leave Shane Wright available at #2. But the Devils have Hughes and Hischier and are apparently open to moving that pick. And they really want an impact scoring winger. The Bruins really need a top center prospect for after Bergy retires. They also have Pasta as an impending UFA...

I don't expect Sweeney to actually entertain a trade like that, but a package built around the #2 overall (Wright) for an extended Pasta would really make sense for both teams.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Why are all our players bad?

The Bruins put up 107 points and were the best defensive team in the league withOUT Lindholm. IMO, the only bad contract signed last year was Foligno.
Was it money used wisely though ?

He had nearly 20 million of cap space. I don't know but I think he should of been able to come away with a bit more with all that dough he handed out. Perhaps a true top 6 forward or a legit top 4 defenseman. It necessarily didn't have to be through FA but unfortunately that, and the deadline is all Sweeney seems to have in has repertoire.

He had players like Studnicka, Steen, Seny, Lauka, Blidh, Hughes and Froden who were licking their chops at a chance to make the team, but once Sweeney signed Haula, Nosek and Foligno, they didn't stand a chance. Add to that Ullmark 5 plus mil. I don't know but a Halak or another season vet to play with Swayman might of been wiser but time will tell on that one. I like Ullmark but I don't think he's a number one and that's a whole lot of money for a back up.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

The Bruins put up 107 points and were the best defensive team in the league withOUT Lindholm. IMO, the only bad contract signed last year was Foligno.

You should be able to develop bottom of the roster players without having to use up cap space that could be better served on better players..regular season success is one thing, playoffs are a different animal.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
So lots of smoke that the Habs are leaning Slavkovsky at #1, which would leave Shane Wright available at #2. But the Devils have Hughes and Hischier and are apparently open to moving that pick. And they really want an impact scoring winger. The Bruins really need a top center prospect for after Bergy retires. They also have Pasta as an impending UFA...

I don't expect Sweeney to actually entertain a trade like that, but a package built around the #2 overall (Wright) for an extended Pasta would really make sense for both teams.
It would but I'd rather Keep Pasta and figure out another way to get that 2nd overall or another future top Center.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The question is is it within the rules as far as the Cap goes.

If they have to be under the Cap when the season begins and cannot put anyone on LTIR until after the season starts, don't see how they can sign anyone without moving out other players first.
They can put players on LTIR during the offseason. There's nothing illegal here. But no quality UFA is going to sign a 1 year deal and risk getting injured when they can sign a 5 year deal and get guaranteed $.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The thing is with Bergeron back i dont think Studnicka or Frederic in over Nosek is going to prevent them from making a run, they already have a vet in Foligno to play LW or RW, unless you believe they buy him out. Sweeney said they need to mix in some youth and I think Frederic, Stud and Steen will be three of the younger guys to start the year.

Is there really much difference between

Haula-Coyle-Smith
Combination of Frederic/Foligno/Stud/Steen

Vs.

Haula-Coyle-Smith
Frederic-Nosek-Foligno

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Wright sitting there at #2 does make me take long drags on a cigarette a lot more than Cooley ever did. Bergeron coming back makes it awkward, though. If you had some indication that Forsberg would be open to coming here maybe you try to play some musical chairs there, but that is scary since Pasta is already traded before UFA opens.

Was it money used wisely though ?

He had nearly 20 million of cap space. I don't know but I think he should of been able to come away with a bit more with all that dough he handed out. Perhaps a true top 6 forward or a legit top 4 defenseman. It necessarily didn't have to be through FA but unfortunately that, and the deadline is all Sweeney seems to have in has repertoire.

He had players like Studnicka, Steen, Seny, Lauka, Blidh, Hughes and Froden who were licking their chops at a chance to make the team, but once Sweeney signed Haula, Nosek and Foligno, they didn't stand a chance. Add to that Ullmark 5 plus mil. I don't know but a Halak or another season vet to play with Swayman might of been wiser but time will tell on that one. I like Ullmark but I don't think he's a number one and that's a whole lot of money for a back up.

It was not an exciting use of money. The UFA crop was not exciting and the Bruins didn't have much to be able to move in a trade. But, it wasn't a horrible use of money either. Everyone signed to short term contracts of the same length to be in another position to have a bunch of money in a couple years isn't the worst thing you could do.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It would but I'd rather Keep Pasta and figure out another way to get that 2nd overall or another future top Center.
I love Pasta and wish he could be here forever. I just don't see any other assets this team has that have that value, especially weighing the cap considerations. I'm not rushing Pasta out the door, but extending him and staying cap compliant will be difficult, so if he's going to leave as a UFA next year might as well convert that asset into something.

Reactions: Gordoff and Estlin

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
It was not an exciting use of money. The UFA crop was not exciting and the Bruins didn't have much to be able to move in a trade. But, it wasn't a horrible use of money either. Everyone signed to short term contracts of the same length to be in another position to have a bunch of money in a couple years isn't the worst thing you could do.
Well then u don't act like a kid in a candy store for the first time. Hang onto your money until the right opportunity arises.

I love Pasta and wish he could be here forever. I just don't see any other assets this team has that have that value, especially weighing the cap considerations. I'm not rushing Pasta out the door, but extending him and staying cap compliant will be difficult, so if he's going to leave as a UFA next year might as well convert that asset into something.
O' I agree with your logic 100%

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA

I was referring mainly to Foligno, Nosek not so much Haule. But if he ended up on the bottom lines he would not have the totals he ended up with

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
They can put players on LTIR during the offseason. There's nothing illegal here. But no quality UFA is going to sign a 1 year deal and risk getting injured when they can sign a 5 year deal and get guaranteed $.

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting the one-year deal thing.

If they can put players on LTIR before the season starts then they could still sign players to multi-year contracts. They would just need to move (other) players before those players return. So you could move a Reilly before Grizz comes back or a Debrusk before Marchand comes back. Or dump a Nosek or Foligno too.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’d keep nosek. It already looks like they’ll be going with a fair amount of inexperience for wingers with lazar headed out of the door and potentially foligno as well. Going with a full like of kids on the fourth line probably wouldn’t be ideal.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Marchand and hall should be dealt before pastrnak is.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Is the team better set up in the future with Wright minus Pasta or by maybe taking a risk with a Strome or someone similarly aged plus keeping Pasta?

Obviously if he wants to leave then you entertain it, but goal scorers are hard to come by, I think you keep him if at all possible.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad