OT: 2022-23 - Official Panic Thread

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
The rebuild was not done properly, they should of start with the defense make sure that foundation was solid then you can upgrade the forwards. You can't win in the NHL with below average defensemen, look at Toronto yes they make the playoff but they can't get out of the 1st round why? because they have a very average defense and goaltending

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
Exactly
The guy is a rookie
And you decide after 1 game that he is bad at 1C without giving him the chance to adjust but you carry your big .439% fat record everywhere smoking and joking

GTFO
100%... the decisions DJ smith makes are so ridiculous. SOoooooo much patience for Zaitsev and other scrubs, but then the key players don't get a full 60 to gel.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The rebuild was not done properly, they should of start with the defense make sure that foundation was solid then you can upgrade the forwards. You can't win in the NHL with below average defensemen, look at Toronto yes they make the playoff but they can't get out of the 1st round why? because they have a very average defense and goaltending
To be fair, some of Dorion's early picks in the rebuild were guys like Thomson, JBD, etc... They just haven't been able to make strides in their development to the point where they're full time guys in the big club

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be fair, some of Dorion's early picks in the rebuild were guys like Thomson, JBD, etc... They just haven't been able to make strides in their development to the point where they're full time guys in the big club

All of these guys are too young to be regular top four defencemen on a playoff calibre team.

Dahlin is just starting to break out and it's his 5th full season in the NHL.

Sure, there are guys like Makar out there but by and large you want your D to be older and more experienced than your forwards IMO.

Ideally we'd have 1-2 guys under 22 or 23 playing regularly and preferably not on the top pairing.

Last edited:
Reactions: swiftwin

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
All of these guys are too young to be regular top four defencemen on a playoff calibre team.

Dahlin is just starting to break out and it's his 5th full season in the NHL.

Sure, there are guys like Makar out there but by and large you want your D to be older and more experienced than your forwards IMO.

Ideally we'd have 1-2 guys under 22 or 23 playing regularly and preferably not on the top pairing.
I think Dorion thought that JBD and Thomson could be full time NHLers about 2-3 years after their draft season, even if it was in 3rd pairing borderline 2nd pairing roles. Similar to how Seabrook (drafted in 03, full time nhler by 05-06 season) and Keith (draft in 02, full time nhler in 05-06). Not saying Dorion thought the players would end up being as elite as guys like Seabrook and Keith were, but that some of his initial first round picks would be farther along in their development.

Dorion probably assumed that JBD and Thomson, who've had at least 3 years of development each would have been full time third pairing guys at the least.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion probably assumed that JBD and Thomson, who've had at least 3 years of development each would have been full time third pairing guys at the least.

And here we are with Sanderson on the second pairing and JBD playing at least part of the game on the first.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It’s an 18-wheeler off the cliff at this point. Sens need to go MINIMUM 43-27 the rest of the way to even have a chance to make the playoffs. This would give them 94 points which is likely not enough.

With a loss to NJ tomorrow it becomes 43-26 - a 102 point pace from here on out. And again, that’s for 94 points which realistically won’t be enough.

Oh come on, this is still a young team that is learning how to win and developing an identity. This year was always a growth year. Maybe next year the existential angst may look a little less drama-queenish.
Habs were behind the sens , now they clearly look ahead.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
At this point, I just hope we can steal points off division rivals. If we're going to be losing the way we have, I hope the handful of wins we get are against division rivals. Tank or playoff season, beating the Scabs, Laffs, etc.... is always fun

Reactions: Ice-Tray

boxbox

Sep 8, 2022
just as easily they lost 4-5 games in row they can win 4-5 in a row and be right in the mix....we are not even 15 games into the season...

not all rebuilds are done in 3-5 years some take longer. If at the end of the season the pieces are better then no need to rush it especially when everything points to the team not having all in place to be considered as a team on the bubble of becoming a real threat...but again its only 12 games into the season...

better to see clearly where the team is lacking than have the team go on some BS run to squeeze into the playoffs and get quickly bounced and likewise bounced form potentially landing a top 5 pick ...it has happened with this team more often then not...yes it was enjoyable but in the long run it did more harm then good

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
i haven’t been this disappointed since last early November, and the esrly November before that, and the early November before that, and the early November before that, and the early November before that

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Not panicked, just disappointed. I genuinely didn't believe we were good enough to make the playoffs before the season started, but thought we did enough to keep us in the hunt well into winter/spring. The fact that the season is basically over once again before remembrance day is pathetic.

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
Drama queens galore. Thinking some were just waiting for anything to go slightly wrong just so they could say see... told ya they stink...

Funny how around the league everyone is talking about how exciting the Senators are. They say things like, while not quite ready for the playoffs they play a style that is entertaining and if you don't come to play they will beat you. Lots of young talent on that team they just need some experience and they will be a force to reckon with. Don't believe me try reading newspapers from other cities, blogs, etc. most will have something good to say about Ottawa.

Last year nearly every team played their backup goalies against us... this year the Leafs got the backup who hasn't won a game yet, while we seen the number 1 the next night. (That's for the Leaf lovers on this board)

If you can't see that we have been in most games this year with a mistake here or there causing a critical goal against, then, I'm sure you have seen all the scoring chances we've created that might've resulted in a different narrative had they gone in??

Puck luck will eventually catch up and we will go on a winning streak and the same people will cry about them winning... cause you know...Drama.

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not going to pretend like I had them as a playoff team, but we're in the exact same spot after 12 games that we were the last 5 years. Is playing meaningful games in November/December after 5 years of bottom feeding that much to ask for? Our season could very well be on the line tomorrow and it's against the hottest team in the league. There's plenty of reason to panic.
I was more reacting to the idea that the rebuild has failed. But of course i share the dissapointment of meanigful games potentially disappearing soon again. Im not feeling panicked maybe cause i have been expecting more of a struggle. But like most of us, i thought we really made a large leap this summer of Pierre and now i am being forced to realize how wrong i was.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
Drama queens galore. Thinking some were just waiting for anything to go slightly wrong just so they could say see... told ya they stink...

Funny how around the league everyone is talking about how exciting the Senators are. They say things like, while not quite ready for the playoffs they play a style that is entertaining and if you don't come to play they will beat you. Lots of young talent on that team they just need some experience and they will be a force to reckon with. Don't believe me try reading newspapers from other cities, blogs, etc. most will have something good to say about Ottawa.

Last year nearly every team played their backup goalies against us... this year the Leafs got the backup who hasn't won a game yet, while we seen the number 1 the next night. (That's for the Leaf lovers on this board)

If you can't see that we have been in most games this year with a mistake here or there causing a critical goal against, then, I'm sure you have seen all the scoring chances we've created that might've resulted in a different narrative had they gone in??

Puck luck will eventually catch up and we will go on a winning streak and the same people will cry about them winning... cause you know...Drama.
😂😂😂 What a ridiculous post. So we make the playoffs based on other people's respect?

Is this Dorion?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Game by game, I come to realize that this season is lost and that until new ownership comes in and cleans house, we're going to have to keep settling for mediocrity.

We have players that are either floating around not caring (Chabot), or trying to force too many fancy plays because they have no discipline and structure in their attack.

A coach that can't create a special teams that can be a legitimate threat, relies on playing a burnt out defender 25+ minutes every night, and hasn't a clue what he's doing.

And worst of all, we have a GM with zero vision when it comes to pro talent. We have a top heavy team that has tied up salary on forwards that barely score, and one of the most pathetic bluelines in the league.

One of Bedard, Mitchkov, or Fantilli would be nice at first, but isn't going to help this team with our current management.

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
😂😂😂 What a ridiculous post. So we make the playoffs based on other people's respect?

Is this Dorion?
What does making the playoffs have to do with being a drama queen? Crying 10 games into a season is not something a person with a reasonable outlook regarding this team and its youth would do. If your expectations were playoffs this year then you probably set your expectations too high.

Lastly, your reply is typical, You don''t like the positive response so therefore I must be "Dorion" cause only "Dorion" could possibly think this team is only a few bounces away from going on a run. Yup, it is ridiculous.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
What does making the playoffs have to do with being a drama queen? Crying 10 games into a season is not something a person with a reasonable outlook regarding this team and its youth would do. If your expectations were playoffs this year then you probably set your expectations too high.

Lastly, your reply is typical, You don''t like the positive response so therefore I must be "Dorion" cause only "Dorion" could possibly think this team is only a few bounces away from going on a run. Yup, it is ridiculous.

I think you may not realize just how dire the situation is. Even if the aim is only to play meaningful games, they’re 8 points back of the wildcard already and several of the teams they would have to leapfrog are likely to get the ball rolling soon (Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh).

They’re going to need some unbelievable play down the stretch if they’re going to make up for this bad start.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm probably still riding a high from a very fun Saturday (hockey win, fun UFC event, new dog in the house, take out from my favourite burger place, etc...) but I hope the team turns it around after that win. If we end up sucking and get one of Bedard, Fantilli or Mitchkov, great, but screw it, I'mma unrealistically cheer for a playoff birth!!!GO SENS GO

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Is this Dorion?
You’ve been creating panic threads on mains and here, sure sounds like your expectations were way to high. It was always last wild card spot at best this year.

Reactions: Dionysus

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I'm probably still riding a high from a very fun Saturday (hockey win, fun UFC event, new dog in the house, take out from my favourite burger place, etc...) but I hope the team turns it around after that win. If we end up sucking and get one of Bedard, Fantilli or Mitchkov, great, but screw it, I'mma unrealistically cheer for a playoff birth!!!GO SENS GO
Woo! Maybe we need an optimism thread to balance out the chicken little thread haha.

Edit: Or, "wild emotional swings" thread, encapsulates sens fans well. Highest of highs and lowest of lows from one play.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Woo! Maybe we need an optimism thread to balance out the chicken little thread haha.

Edit: Or, "wild emotional swings" thread, encapsulates sens fans will. Highest of highs and lowest of lows from one play.
I could use one of those. I currently want Dorion and DJ fired, and before yesterdays game was okay with moving Cat and Chabot, and here I am sitting at work thinking with a few adjustments we can pull of a Blues cup run lol

Reactions: Dionysus

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
I could use one of those. I currently want Dorion and DJ fired, and before yesterdays game was okay with moving Cat and Chabot, and here I am sitting at work thinking with a few adjustments we can pull of a Blues cup run lol
Haha and the team! 4 game win streak, piling up goals, look like world beaters. 7 game losing streak, look like they can find any way possible to lose.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad