Injury Report: 2022/23 Injury Thread Part 1 of ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Day 1 of training camp and already a couple regulars are banged up, on top of being hung over.

Landeskog (knee) - Will miss start of regular season
Nuke (foot/ankle) - Week to week, might be available for some pre-season games
Helm (unknown lower body surgery) - Unsure of pre-season games, not close to skating with team

"Landy' is dealing with an injury from last season, lower body, and he's not ready to go," Colorado coach Jared Bednar said Thursday. "We don't have a timetable yet for putting him on the ice. He won't skate anytime soon. Bednar said Landeskog's recovery could last into the regular season"

"Nuke's going to skate tomorrow on his own, and we'll just kind of see how the next week or so goes before we make decisions on [preseason games]."

"Helm's working back to being ready. No timetable on him just yet," Bednar said. "I don't know if he'll get [in a preseason game] or not. We'll see how the next week or so goes."

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I´m not worried about Helm und Nuke. We all knew Nuke wont be at 100 % when we saw his foot und the parade. Helm can be replaced too.

What i´m worreid about is Landy. This doesn´t seem to go away that fast.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
As long as they are ready for the playoffs all is good. Don't rush anyone.

This will be a common theme with Landy though. His body will start breaking down the older he gets.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Well said mate. Next man up opportunities. I have faith in whoever plays for us. Let them showcase their wares supported by the best defensive core in the league , and one of the best tandems.

True that. I questioned Bednar last season and Sakics off-season and how he lost all the depth but in the end we were fabulous. Never question Bednar or Sakic.

Bednar will work his magic again.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar said no timeline on Landy's return.

AJ yesterday said that he's expecting something like a return in december.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Bednar said no timeline on Landy's return.

AJ yesterday said that he's expecting something like a return in december.
You're putting words in AJ's mouth there...

AJ was just throwing out a scenario where it could make sense to sign Galchenyuk (i.e if Landeskogs were to be out two months then maybe Galchenyuk would make sense), but then he immediately followed that comment up by specifically and very emphatically saying that he DID NOT know anything about Landeskogs timeline.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
What knee injury could take Landeskog out for 3 full months, plus camp? ACL could, sure. Meniscus? A pretty bad one, maybe...?

Makes me wonder if he had another surgery after the season.

Edit: If it takes until December, as was recently speculated in this thread, that's 5-6 months. That's not likely just a moderate knee injury, or a single surgery.

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Honestly not that worried about Landy. My guess is he tore his meniscus last year and they scoped it to clean it up so he could be back for the playoffs and then they went in this summer and repaired it.
This seems pretty plausible. Why the Avs are so damn secretive about everything is just...so Avalanche. Wonder if that'll change after another year or so of cozying up to gambling sites.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Here's a recap of Landy's situation:

1- He was having a career year last season then after 51 games, out of nowhere, he left to get a knee surgery.

2- He came back just for game 1 of the playoffs.

3- He didn't train on the ice once during the whole playoff run (that's several weeks).

4- He rested for the whole summer and he's still not ready and they have no timeline.

Last edited:

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
A team that misses the playoffs gets an offseason of like five and a half months. We won the cup less than three months ago. The standard offseason would have given these guys until mid December to recover.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Here's a recap of Landy's situation:

1- He was having a career year last season then after 51 games, out of nowhere, he left to get a knee surgery.

2- He came back just for game 1 of the playoffs.

3- He didn't train on the ice once during the whole playoff run (that's several weeks).

4- He rested for the whole summer and he's still not ready and they have no timeline.

Screams meniscus to me. I did my meniscus twice in high school/college and could’ve easily played through it, which Landy did for a bit I’m sure. Meniscus tears suck but overall don’t bug you nearly as much as a bigger ligament.

So they probably scoped it to end the year as the recovery for that isn’t bad at all and you can easily play through that. Then let Landy celebrate the cup and recently had the meniscus tear repaired. With a repair he’d probably be on crutches for a ~month do a little PT and he’d be good to go.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Looks like it's going to be another rough start with injuries.

Just to refresh everyone's memory from last year...
  • Francouz started the season healthy, got hurt in practice, and missed 26 games.
  • MacKinnon missed the first 2 games (Covid).
  • Nichushkin got injured on opening night and missed the next 9 games.
  • Toews missed the first 9 games.
  • Kaut (6gp), Megna (8gp), and Ranta (10gp) all had prominent roles the first 10 games, with MacDonald, Maltsev, Matteau, Sherwood, and Sikura also seeing action.
To top things off, Landeskog got suspended for 2 games on opening night, while Girard, Makar, and Rantanen each missed 2-3 games.

I distinctly remember Toews first game back in November. I was watching the end of it on my phone in a Chicago hotel room, and they blew a late lead against Columbus, dropping them to 4-5-1 (ouch!).

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Well let's just get it out of the way and LTIR landy and get the cap space for a 2C
I was about to agree, but it doesn't actually work like that. LTIR doesn't remove the cap hit, it allows you to exceed the cap by that amount. Otherwise every team with a major injury during the season would have effectively limitless cap space at the deadline.

Accruing cap space still seems like a strong strategy, but would require our 100% healthy roster to be below the cap. Like if we traded Compher for nothing before the season and just sat on the space until the deadline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The depth is going to be especially tested right out of the gates this year. Fortunately the Defense is fully intact(Although after this post you just know we are losing somebody tomorrow in first games), but the forwards are going to be rough.

We could be looking at an opening night roster that is something along the lines of:

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Gally - Newhook - ERod
JTC - Meyers - Kaut
LOC - Sedlak - Cogliano
Blidh

That is uhhhhh, not great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad