Speculation: 2022-23 Canadiens Projected Roster

aread1991

Apr 8, 2016
St. John's
**Apologies if this thread has been created elsewhere. Did some searching for a similar thread but couldn't find anything.**

What do you view the Habs roster as looking like at the beginning of the 2022-23 season?

I view that season as an important time following the UFA/RFA signings that the team will face in 2021, when many of our current young players will be on the cusp of their projected primes (potentially on ELC/bridge deals) and the long-term status of our roster for the next 8-10 years will start to really take shape.

From what I can see, setting the salary cap at roughly $90,000,000 for that season seems reasonable.

I am including a very rough estimate of what I believe each player will be earning at the time (salaries of players already under contract are bolded.)

My projection obviously assumes an idealistic progression of our young players as well as best case scenarios for some of our veterans. Some of these salary estimates are likely wishful thinking as well.

LW$C$RW$$ Total
1st Line??Kotkaniemi6.5MCaulfield.925M7.425M
2nd LineDomi6.2MSuzuki7mGallagher7M20.2M
3rd LineByron3.4MPoehling3.5MYlonen.750M7.65M
4th LineLehkonen2.8MDanault4MArmia2.2M9M
Scratches-- Evans1.2MMcCarron1M 2.2M
LD$RD$
1st Pair??Weber7.85M7.85M
2nd PairMete4MFleury1.8M5.8M
3rd PairRomanov.750MBrook2.3M3.05M
ScratchesJuulsen2M2M
G
Starter Price10M10M
BackupPrimeau1.5M1.5
Cap
Total
76.675M
Remaining
Space
Possible
Signings
LW$LD$
Guentzel9MFowler6.5M
Forsberg8.5MLeddy4.5M
Giroux6.5MOrlov5.1M
Wilson 5MLindholm6M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
More speculation:

We would need to add an experienced top 6 LW preferably with size, as well as a top pairing mobile LD (might have to settle for a top 4 LD who can quarterback the PP).

Weber will still be able to contribute as a top pairing defenseman at least through this season (2022-23).

From our current core, I predict Tatar, Drouin and Petry will likely be elsewhere by this time.

With the abundance of prospects and picks we have gathered in the past 2 years in combination with the three roster players listed above, and our first round picks for 2020 onwards, we should be able to acquire the assets necessary to open our window of contention.

The best candidates for acquiring a top 6 LW I could find were Jake Guentzel, Filip Forsberg, Claude Giroux, and Tom Wilson. I chose these players based on their current contract expiry dates as well as their current team's windows for competing. I believe Guentzel or Forsberg to be the best option here, as Giroux's value will likely have depreciated in that time and Wilson does not have the offensive upside of the other 3.

The options are a little less attractive for acquiring a top pairing LD. Perhaps there is a way to pry Cam Fowler out of Anaheim as they begin rebuilding (Drouin, Norlinder, picks?). Hampus Lindholm, Nick Leddy and Dmitri Orlov also will be UFA that season.

---

What do you think the team will look like in 2022-23?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
In 3 years I'm hopeful Romanov will be on our top pair.

As is usually brought up when talking about our long term outlook so much of it is dependent on Price/Weber.

I think Struble is worth a mention as well.

If Domi plays this whole year as our #1C, he's making more than that.

I really hope by that time we've finally moved on from McCarron.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
No elite players anywhere in the system. How can we not have a true top flight player anywhere in this organization?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The D is still a mess. :laugh:

We'll have to trade or go UFA for this. It's not going to fix itself via the draft.
No elite players anywhere in the system. How can we not have a true top flight player anywhere in this organization?
A depth of really, really good forwards though.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki
Ylonen-Poehling-Caufield
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Cousins-Evans-Belzile
Teasdale

Mete-Weber
Romanov-Fleury
Leskinen-Juulsen
Brook

Price-Primeau

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
If Domi keeps putting up points while playing center, there's no chance they move him to the wing

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If Domi keeps putting up points while playing center, there's no chance they move him to the wing

Going to have to disagree here. If he continues to be a defensive liability by playing too high and leaving the dzone early, he will be replaced by a more responsible player at center.

Reactions: Sick Nuzuki

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Domi-Kotkaniemi- Caufield
Tatar -Suzuki - Gallagher
Lehkonen-Poehling - Ylonen
???-Evans- Weal
McCarron and/or Teasdale and/or Pezzetta and/or Khisamutdinov and/or Verbeek and/or Vejdemo and/or Gorniak and/or Stapley and/or Hillis and/or Houde and/or Harvey-Pinard and/or McShane and/or Olofsson and/or Pitlick

Mete - Brook
Romanov - Weber
??? - Fleury
Struble and/or Juulsen and/or Leskinen and/or Fairborther and/or LeGuerrier and/or Norlinder and/or Rucheinski

Price
Primeau

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Price and Weber.

Kk, Poehling, suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, and Brook Have high potential.

And then there are a lot of very good players and prospects, starting with Gallagher, Tatar, and Danault.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
**Apologies if this thread has been created elsewhere. Did some searching for a similar thread but couldn't find anything.**

What do you view the Habs roster as looking like at the beginning of the 2022-23 season?

I view that season as an important time following the UFA/RFA signings that the team will face in 2021, when many of our current young players will be on the cusp of their projected primes (potentially on ELC/bridge deals) and the long-term status of our roster for the next 8-10 years will start to really take shape.

From what I can see, setting the salary cap at roughly $90,000,000 for that season seems reasonable.

I am including a very rough estimate of what I believe each player will be earning at the time (salaries of players already under contract are bolded.)

My projection obviously assumes an idealistic progression of our young players as well as best case scenarios for some of our veterans. Some of these salary estimates are likely wishful thinking as well.

LW$C$RW$$ Total
1st Line??Kotkaniemi6.5MCaulfield.925M7.425M
2nd LineDomi6.2MSuzuki7mGallagher7M20.2M
3rd LineByron3.4MPoehling3.5MYlonen.750M7.65M
4th LineLehkonen2.8MDanault4MArmia2.2M9M
Scratches-- Evans1.2MMcCarron1M 2.2M
LD$RD$
1st Pair??Weber7.85M7.85M
2nd PairMete4MFleury1.8M5.8M
3rd PairRomanov.750MBrook2.3M3.05M
ScratchesJuulsen2M2M
G
Starter Price10M10M
BackupPrimeau1.5M1.5
Cap
Total
76.675M
Remaining
Space
Possible
Signings
LW$LD$
Guentzel9MFowler6.5M
Forsberg8.5MLeddy4.5M
Giroux6.5MOrlov5.1M
Wilson 5MLindholm6M
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
More speculation:

We would need to add an experienced top 6 LW preferably with size, as well as a top pairing mobile LD (might have to settle for a top 4 LD who can quarterback the PP).

Weber will still be able to contribute as a top pairing defenseman at least through this season (2022-23).

From our current core, I predict Tatar, Drouin and Petry will likely be elsewhere by this time.

With the abundance of prospects and picks we have gathered in the past 2 years in combination with the three roster players listed above, and our first round picks for 2020 onwards, we should be able to acquire the assets necessary to open our window of contention.

The best candidates for acquiring a top 6 LW I could find were Jake Guentzel, Filip Forsberg, Claude Giroux, and Tom Wilson. I chose these players based on their current contract expiry dates as well as their current team's windows for competing. I believe Guentzel or Forsberg to be the best option here, as Giroux's value will likely have depreciated in that time and Wilson does not have the offensive upside of the other 3.

The options are a little less attractive for acquiring a top pairing LD. Perhaps there is a way to pry Cam Fowler out of Anaheim as they begin rebuilding (Drouin, Norlinder, picks?). Hampus Lindholm, Nick Leddy and Dmitri Orlov also will be UFA that season.

---

What do you think the team will look like in 2022-23?
No way can predict so far ahead.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Domi-Kotkaniemi- Caufield
Tatar -Suzuki - Gallagher
Lehkonen-Poehling - Ylonen
???-Evans- Weal
McCarron and/or Teasdale and/or Pezzetta and/or Khisamutdinov and/or Verbeek and/or Vejdemo and/or Gorniak and/or Stapley and/or Hillis and/or Houde and/or Harvey-Pinard and/or McShane and/or Olofsson and/or Pitlick

Mete - Brook
Romanov - Weber
??? - Fleury
Struble and/or Juulsen and/or Leskinen and/or Fairborther and/or LeGuerrier and/or Norlinder and/or Rucheinski

Price
Primeau

Our main 7 forwards I think everyone will agree project as Domi-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki-Caufield-Gallagher-Poehling with Danault as your 3C. Then you need to figure out if Lehkonen, Tatar and Drouin fit long term, but when you consider everything that's 10 forwards for 9 spots and you also have Ylonen who seems to have high upside. This is very exciting for the future as most of these players are either already established or are top notch prospects, meaning the Habs forwards in 2022 has a pretty high chance of being deadly. Of course, a lot can change til then, but it's looking good. The one thing Montreal needs is for at least one of these players to become truly elite, i.e. 80+ pts leader kind of guy.

On defense it becomes a bit of a question mark because of Weber, who knows how he will be. One thing is for sure, the potential is there among Mete, Romanov, Fleury, Brook, Juulsen and Leskinen as well as others freshly drafted, but the problem is none of these guys are proven first-pair talent and most of them don't have the draft pedigree either. They are all trending well, so Montreal should at least have a decent top-4 somehow. Petry might be a wildcard, as he has done nothing but play great since coming to Montreal. Who knows where he will be in 2022. Maybe he's here and Weber is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad