Rumor: 2022-2023 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: In Season Thread - Time to Defend the Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The season begins in just under a month so no better time to get a new thread going.

Recent Happenings:

- Avs sign Evan Rodrigues to a 1 year, 2 million. Half the board had a meltdown.

- Mack states re-signing negotiations are progressing. Will be a fair deal, but not a single digit number. Wants to remain an Av for life.

PSA:

Just a friendly reminder so I don’t have to inevitably post this later on. Keep this thread on the topic of trades and signings, no politics.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Nate and his agent both probably messed up the last contract based on his potential but it wasn't really an aberration from others. Barkov, Hall, Seguin, etc all signed similar deals. Nate's was maybe just a year too long from what we were seeing around the league. I don't think the why or who really matters though. Either way, he was the most underpaid player in the league and I don't blame him for wanting to make up for that now.

Did you guys hear Seravalli's thoughts on Crosby? According to him, Crosby isn't happy at all right now. He signed that ridiculously long contract while going through his concussion issues and is now stuck. The back end has him making $3M/yr while he's still one of the best players in the league. It's to the point where apparently Crosby and Pens even went to the league to see if anything can be done/changed, which obviously there can't because it's in the CBA.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I think Nate and his agent both probably messed up the last contract based on his potential but it wasn't really an aberration from others. Barkov, Hall, Seguin, etc all signed similar deals. Nate's was maybe just a year too long from what we were seeing around the league. I don't think the why or who really matters though. Either way, he was the most underpaid player in the league and I don't blame him for wanting to make up for that now.

Did you guys hear Seravalli's thoughts on Crosby? According to him, Crosby isn't happy at all right now. He signed that ridiculously long contract while going through his concussion issues and is now stuck. The back end has him making $3M/yr while he's still one of the best players in the league. It's to the point where apparently Crosby and Pens even went to the league to see if anything can be done/changed, which obviously there can't because it's in the CBA.
Is there a link for that? I tried to google it...

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

Should come to Mile high and win some cups so that 3mil is worth it.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

I don't care how unhappy Crosby is. Nobody forced him to sign that 12-yr contract. In fact he was extremely happy to sign it back then. Now it's the team's turn to enjoy the contract.

The league cannot start making exceptions to certain cases or they will be opening a can of worm by setting a precedent. Should the teams start going to the league as well to change a contract of a player that turn out to be way overpaid? Of course not. PA wouldn't go for it. Contracts are contracts....live with it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is there a link for that? I tried to google it...

It was on their podcast from a few days back on the same episode where they talked Nate's contract. It's called DFO Rundown.

Just for clarification, Crosby isn't unhappy with the Pens. Just with his contract that has left him underpaid now.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
It was on their podcast from a few days back on the same episode where they talked Nate's contract. It's called DFO Rundown.

Just for clarification, Crosby isn't unhappy with the Pens. Just with his contract that has left him underpaid now.
That’s kind of the issue with front-loaded contracts. Players don’t really think about the years at the beginning where they’re overpaid (not saying Crosby necessarily was) but notice the end where they’re underpaid. Most of those contracts underpay them when they’re ready to retire. Either Crosby didn’t think he’d still be playing or he was so tied to the 87 number that they didn’t push off the pay drop late enough.

I wonder if the Penguins proposed to buy out his contract to the league and then resign him to a new deal. That’s the only pseudo strategy I could think of to try to rework the contract. Obviously the league was going to say no to that.

That said, I don’t trust Seravalli much right now. He totally screwed up FA predictions. Unless he’s homeless right now, he’s not a man of his word. Bet my house on it my ass.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

""The deal I've been on at the time I signed was completely fair," MacKinnon said. "No complaints at all, but you don't want to be labeled as the most underpaid guy for your whole career. But I see some numbers out there of what I'm looking for, it's not true, crazy numbers. But hopefully the deal that gets done people see as fair for both sides.""

AKA Dater is wrong again.

FreudsLeatherJacket

Oct 19, 2019
I still think the way the way to go if sticking with a hard cap is having max 4-5 year contracts. Problem with long term contracts is that players either seem get significantly overpaid and/or underpaid at points in their career because so much can change in 7-8 years. Mack has largely been underpaid, he will soon be paid at fair value, but then at 35 he will likely be overpaid. Same with Nuke. I know the NHLPA wouldn’t be a fan of reducing the max length of contracts, but I’d add sweeteners to the deal. Like players can hit UFA at 24/25. It’s dumb that players can’t hit the open market until they’re historically most likely to begin their decline.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I still think the way the way to go if sticking with a hard cap is having max 4-5 year contracts. Problem with long term contracts is that players either seem get significantly overpaid and/or underpaid at points in their career because so much can change in 7-8 years. Mack has largely been underpaid, he will soon be paid at fair value, but then at 35 he will likely be overpaid. Same with Nuke. I know the NHLPA wouldn’t be a fan of reducing the max length of contracts, but I’d add sweeteners to the deal. Like players can hit UFA at 24/25. It’s dumb that players can’t hit the open market until they’re historically most likely to begin their decline.
That happens with every contract though. entry level, bridge deal, RFA deals and FA contracts.
As much as everyone wants to make a big deal out of it, a 5 year deal vs a 8 year deal is not going to hinder a team much unless you make silly moves around it.

FreudsLeatherJacket

Oct 19, 2019
That happens with every contract though. entry level, bridge deal, RFA deals and FA contracts.
As much as everyone wants to make a big deal out of it, a 5 year deal vs a 8 year deal is not going to hinder a team much unless you make silly moves around it.
I feel like when a contract is 8 years a player is more likely to become overpaid or underpaid and for a longer period of time. In the NFL for example it’s fairly easy to restructure that type of contract, but in the NHL the team and player are more likely to be stuck with it for a while.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

""The deal I've been on at the time I signed was completely fair," MacKinnon said. "No complaints at all, but you don't want to be labeled as the most underpaid guy for your whole career. But I see some numbers out there of what I'm looking for, it's not true, crazy numbers. But hopefully the deal that gets done people see as fair for both sides.""

AKA Dater is wrong again.

Sounds like 11-12 to me.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
All I'll say is if Nate takes anything even close to $11M, a lot of people owe him one hell of a f***ing apology after what some of you lot got on with here before

Anything under 13M and I’ll be ecstatic. The cap is going to keep going up. Matthews, McDavid, and the other top guys are going to be getting 14-16M over the next 5 years.

Pay MacKinnon. If the Avs can’t built around contracts and ice a team that could win cups because they can’t pay the heart of their team, they’re not doing their jobs well enough.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Anything under 13M and I’ll be ecstatic. The cap is going to keep going up. Matthews, McDavid, and the other top guys are going to be getting 14-16M over the next 5 years.

Pay MacKinnon. If the Avs can’t built around contracts and ice a team that could win cups because they can’t pay the heart of their team, they’re not doing their jobs well enough.
We already paid for a heart of our team in resigning Nichushkin. We have a lot of stars on our team but someone really needs to step up and take a home town discount.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad