2022 1st round redraft

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Suzuki and Caufield have prior history of success in this league without Slafkovsky, you can't say the same for Slafkovsky without them. But there's no doubt he has made that line better.
Both of them are having career highs and compare the numbers this season with and without Slafkovsky that line exploded once Juraj joined it

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
I'm so interested to see what type of pro McGroaty turns into. I'm really high on his upside if he can stay healthy

Reactions: YotesFan47

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Both of them are having career highs and compare the numbers this season with and without Slafkovsky that line exploded once Juraj joined it
Like I said, he's definitely helped them. But Slafkovsky's numbers fall off a lot more without Caufield and Suzuki than vice versa.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The sample for those two players extends beyond just this year
The point was that suzuki-caufield this year, other than with slaf have been mostly split up. They have played some with anderson, but Slaf being an improvement on josh anderson isn't much of an accomplishment

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I'm so interested to see what type of pro McGroaty turns into. I'm really high on his upside if he can stay healthy
His only injury (iirc) was a punctured lung after taking an odd fall into the boards and he came back earlier than expected and in time for the WJ’s.
I think this kid will be a beast. He exudes confidence and leadership. He’s excelled at every level and only gotten better and I can’t see why this wouldn’t translate at the next level.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Faber had a great start to the season but quite frankly has slowed down significantly. I honestly think he's one of the most overrated players in the NHL right now (and saying he's a top 10-20 dman backs that up). He had elite metrics to start the year, and eats a lot of minutes.

I don't think Faber's been anything special on either special teams unit. I'd have to see nemec with PP1 time to compare there, but I'd rather have nemec on the kill 100%.

Here are some of the metrics to compare if you want them.View attachment 846649
View attachment 846648
View attachment 846642View attachment 846643View attachment 846644View attachment 846645View attachment 846646View attachment 846647
I don't think you're accounting for usage. I also think it's silly to eliminate a larger sample size in favor of a smaller one. Andrew Mangiapane was on pace for 62 goals in half a season sample size. He ended up with 35 and hasn't hit 20 since.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I don't think you're accounting for usage. I also think it's silly to eliminate a larger sample size in favor of a smaller one. Andrew Mangiapane was on pace for 62 goals in half a season sample size. He ended up with 35 and hasn't hit 20 since.
I have acknowledged the usage. But on the flipside, Faber has literally only been with Brodin/Middleton, Nemec has played with:

Siegenthaler 311 minutes (who has not played well at all this year and struggled with injuries)
Kevin Bahl 190 minutes (2nd year 3rd pairing dman)
Luke Hughes 165 minutes (rookie 20 year old)
Brendan Smith 125 minutes (known terrorist)
John Marino 76 minutes (this is nemec on his off hand)

And at what point does better results on less TOI mean more?

stenlis

Feb 23, 2010
Shane Wright!

zombie-hand.gif

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I have acknowledged the usage. But on the flipside, Faber has literally only been with Brodin/Middleton, Nemec has played with:

Siegenthaler 311 minutes (who has not played well at all this year and struggled with injuries)
Kevin Bahl 190 minutes (2nd year 3rd pairing dman)
Luke Hughes 165 minutes (rookie 20 year old)
Brendan Smith 125 minutes (known terrorist)
John Marino 76 minutes (this is nemec on his off hand)

And at what point does better results on less TOI mean more?
I'm as big of a Nemec fan as there is on these boards. I've compared him to Giordano and Pietrangelo. I think he will be better than Faber. I also think if you think he is now you don't really know much about the sport or are completely blinded by loyalty to the team you cheer for.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik and ecemleafs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Are people seriously trying to say that Nemec is currently better than Faber because these fancy charts say so?

Nemec plays 20 minutes per game including power play time and is on pace for less than 30 points per 82. He plays on one of the worst defenses in the NHL. He’s not their worst defensive culprit, but he also has his share of defensive miscues.

These charts are sometimes valuable. They are usually good for picking out who can’t play in the NHL. They often will overrate average or bad players and claim they are a lot better than they are.

Nemec is doing well, but let’s be real here. Faber might win the Calder. He’s the averaging like 15 more points per 82 and plays like 5 more minutes per game. He also has great fancy charts. He’s the clear best defenseman on a team with a clear better defense than New Jersey.

If you want, compare Nemec to Slafkovsky or Cooley or Hughes. A comparison right now to Faber is a losing battle. It’s not remotely close.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Almost 2 years later and I think the top 3 remains the same in the same order.

1. Slafkovsky
2. Nemec
3. Cooley

Then it gets a little bit harder to figure out. Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyuokov, Gauthier and Wright looks all pretty equal to me, with Wright being maybe a small step behind that group.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Still very early for this, but would be kind of wild if the top 3 teams actually got this right for the most part.

Sort of a quirky, not great draft at the top....top 3 ultimately didn't include the expected #1oa for the previous year+.
Poor Seattle

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Are people seriously trying to say that Nemec is currently better than Faber because these fancy charts say so?

Nemec plays 20 minutes per game including power play time and is on pace for less than 30 points per 82. He plays on one of the worst defenses in the NHL. He’s not their worst defensive culprit, but he also has his share of defensive miscues.

These charts are sometimes valuable. They are usually good for picking out who can’t play in the NHL. They often will overrate average or bad players and claim they are a lot better than they are.

Nemec is doing well, but let’s be real here. Faber might win the Calder. He’s the averaging like 15 more points per 82 and plays like 5 more minutes per game. He also has great fancy charts. He’s the clear best defenseman on a team with a clear better defense than New Jersey.

If you want, compare Nemec to Slafkovsky or Cooley or Hughes. A comparison right now to Faber is a losing battle. It’s not remotely close.
The best dman on minnesota is Jonas Brodin.

Nemec and Faber have identical points/60 5v5.

With nemec on the ice NJD gets 54.6% of expected goals. with him off the ice that number is 51.5. With faber on the ice Minnesota gets 51.7% of expected goals. With him off the ice that number is 51%

Faber does get a lot of time killing penalties. He isn't good at it, but he does kill penalties. I will never give credit to players for simply existing on a special teams unit.

Faber gets harder assignments, I will give him credit for that.
Nemec has played with significantly worse help, and hasn't had a consistent partner.

Faber gets PP1 time. I don't believe he's anything special on the power play, so again very little credit is given in my eyes.

In Nemec's favour: less help, better results when actually on the ice.

In Faber's favour: he plays more minutes in harder situations.

Again, if you want to credit Faber for getting more ice time, go ahead.

Make sure you're consistent and give Michael Matheson, Cam Fowler, Seth Jones that same credit for playing lots of minutes.

You better have Seth Jones in your top 5-10 dman. Because Seth Jones has had excellent results playing 25:30 a night

Make sure to not credit Jacob Slavvin because he only plays 20 minutes a night

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Pavel doesn’t do fancy charts very well.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan

I think he will be one of those guys who you put with two of your star players and he excels as a complimentary piece on a 1st line. He is skilled enough where he can hang with great players and contribute in other ways, but probably not skilled enough to be the man on his own scoring line.

The kid is a great leader, and will do whatever it takes to help his team win. He's been one of my favorite Wolverines ever, wish more guys had his attitude and work ethic.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Here is how I would do a redraft. Just my general player preference and some guys I think would be worth a swing at.

1. Logan Cooley
2. Juraj Slafkovsky
3. Simon Nemec
4. David Jiricek
5. Shane Wright
6. Pavel Mintyukov
7. Matthew Savoie
8. Brad Lambert
9. Kevin Korchinski
10. Lane Hutson
11. Jiri Kulich
12. Cutter Gauthier
13. Danilia Yurov
14. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
15. Matthew Poitras
16. Seamus Casey
17. Marco Kasper
18. Denton Mateychuk
19. Ivan Miroshnichenko
20. Frank Nazar
21. Sam Rinzel
22. Fraser Minton
23. Jimmy Snuggerud
24. Joakim Kemell
25. Noah Ostlund
26. Rutger McGroarty
27. Filip Bystedt
28. Conor Geekie
29. Liam Ohgren
30. Owen Beck
31. Tristan Luneau
32. Ryan Chelsey
33. Jagger Firkus
34. Isaac Howard
35. Gleb Trikozov
36. Ty Nelson
37. Lian Bischel
38. Owen Pickering
39. Adam Sykora
40. David Goyette
41. Nathan Gaucher
42. Reid Schaffer
43. Cameron Lund
44. Kirill Dolzhenkov
45. Dimitri Buchelnikov
46. Christian Kyrou
47. Filip Mesar
48. Hunter Haight
49. Jack Hughes
50. Maverick Lamoureux

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Here is how I would do a redraft. Just my general player preference and some guys I think would be worth a swing at.

1. Logan Cooley
2. Juraj Slafkovsky
3. Simon Nemec
4. David Jiricek
5. Shane Wright
6. Pavel Mintyukov
7. Matthew Savoie
8. Brad Lambert
9. Kevin Korchinski
10. Lane Hutson
11. Jiri Kulich
12. Cutter Gauthier
13. Danilia Yurov
14. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
15. Matthew Poitras
16. Seamus Casey
17. Marco Kasper
18. Denton Mateychuk
19. Ivan Miroshnichenko
20. Sam Rinzel
21. Fraser Minton
22. Jimmy Snuggerud
23. Joakim Kemell
24. Noah Ostlund
25. Rutger McGroarty
26. Filip Bystedt
27. Conor Geekie
28. Liam Ohgren
29. Owen Beck
30. Tristan Luneau
31. Ryan Chelsey
32. Jagger Firkus
33. Isaac Howard
34. Gleb Trikozov
35. Ty Nelson
36. Lian Bischel
37. Owen Pickering
38. Adam Sykora
39. David Goyette
40. Nathan Gaucher
41. Reid Schaffer
42. Cameron Lund
43. Kirill Dolzhenkov
44. Dimitri Buchelnikov
45. Christian Kyrou
46. Filip Mesar
47. Hunter Haight
48. Dimitri Buchelnikov
49. Jack Hughes
50. Maverick Lamoureux

My boy Adam Sykora moving up in the world, all I need to see

Reactions: hellwar9

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

1. Logan Cooley
2. Juraj Slafkovsky
3. Simon Nemec
4. David Jiricek
5. Shane Wright
6. Pavel Mintyukov
7. Matthew Savoie
8. Brad Lambert
9. Kevin Korchinski
10. Lane Hutson
11. Jiri Kulich
12. Cutter Gauthier
13. Danilia Yurov
14. Jonathan Lekkerimaki
15. Matthew Poitras
16. Seamus Casey
17. Marco Kasper
18. Denton Mateychuk
19. Ivan Miroshnichenko
20. Sam Rinzel
21. Fraser Minton
22. Jimmy Snuggerud
23. Joakim Kemell
24. Noah Ostlund
25. Rutger McGroarty
26. Filip Bystedt
27. Conor Geekie
28. Liam Ohgren
29. Owen Beck
30. Tristan Luneau
31. Ryan Chelsey
32. Jagger Firkus
33. Isaac Howard
34. Gleb Trikozov
35. Ty Nelson
36. Lian Bischel
37. Owen Pickering
38. Adam Sykora
39. David Goyette
40. Nathan Gaucher
41. Reid Schaffer
42. Cameron Lund
43. Kirill Dolzhenkov
44. Dimitri Buchelnikov
45. Christian Kyrou
46. Filip Mesar
47. Hunter Haight
48. Dimitri Buchelnikov
49. Jack Hughes
50. Maverick Lamoureux
Nazar not in your top 50? What?

• Haha
Reactions: dj Mahoney

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
My boy Adam Sykora moving up in the world, all I need to see
I’ve always liked his game. I don’t know if he’ll be a player, but I’m a fan of his.
Nazar not in your top 50? What?
lol you know what I had him on there and when I was moving some players around I forgot to put him back. I’ll edit it, he was 20.

Reactions: hawksrule

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I’ve always liked his game. I don’t know if he’ll be a player, but I’m a fan of his.

lol you know what I had him on there and when I was moving some players around I forgot to put him back. I’ll edit it, he was 20.

I don't see the offensive skill level for a future top 6er. What I do see is a pro-ready playstyle, skating, and physicality (for his size). He's got 21 points in 62 games as the youngest player in the AHL this year. To me, he's got "Bottom 6er that contender overpays at deadline for" written all over him. The difference is he'll be homegrown and therefore dirt cheap.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad