Blue Jays GDT: 2021 v8 | Next: Sun, Aug 8 | vs Bos | 1pm ET/10am PT |Richards vs Ryu]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
We should really be bringing up Hatch. With a double header and Stripling and Matz on the hill Tuesday now is the perfect time. Hatch can step in and be a mini starter / closer the same way Whitlock did it for Houck and pitch 2-3 innings. I.e matz 4-5 innings and Hatch 2 innings. That’s where Hatch can succeed imo. We’re stretching out our luck using Murphy in games like today. Bring up Hatch!

Reactions: canucksfan

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
We should really be bringing up Hatch. With a double header and Stripling and Matz on the hill Tuesday now is the perfect time. Hatch can step in and be a mini starter / closer the same way Whitlock did it for Houck and pitch 2-3 innings. I.e matz 4-5 innings and Hatch 2 innings. That’s where Hatch can succeed imo. We’re stretching out our luck using Murphy in games like today. Bring up Hatch!
Whitlock is dirty. He has the stuff to become a top 25 pitcher

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Valera deserves alot of credit for a very good series and that inning started with him getting on base.

I gave him a lot of heat this series but he came up big.

What makes it even better is we didn’t have to use Bichette today and with the off day tomorrow that’s 2 days to heal.

Reactions: weems

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Im actually very confident that Matz and Stripling can give us at least 5 innings of the 7 inning games. I’m not saying we don’t bring him up but our starters have been pretty much lights out since the break.

By the time we play the Angels our bullpen would have thrown 12 innings in 5 games. And with the strong staff and 7 inning games, we may not need them that much. Added plus is Cimber wasn’t used today. Romano will get rest and Pearson could be back this week.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Im actually very confident that Matz and Stripling can give us at least 5 innings of the 7 inning games. I’m not saying we don’t bring him up but our starters have been pretty much lights out since the break.
Stripling and Matz are 4.30 and 4.43 era pitchers this season, both coming off 6.0 innings and 0 earned run games. The realist in me tends to believe one of them may have a game closer to what their season era is. I'd take my chances with Hatch in one of the games the third time through the order (depending on how they look) along with some combo of Cimber+Romano accross the 14 inning double header. It gives the bullpen that one more reliable arm. Not to say if Matz/Stripling are pitching great we have to take them out the 3rd time through like it's set in stone we're taking them out like Montoyo did with Shoemaker in the playoffs but just as an option if Matz/Stripling look average through 4 or 5 innings we have the option to go to Hatch.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Does Reese wear a trenchcoat in post-game interviews?

I think they'll just be happy he's wearing anything

Not a chance mcguire stops an entire team unloading all over him.

Reese is always good at pulling it out in a tight spot.

It’s a hell of a thing for him to walk back into that locker room after. Like how did that even go?

Whoever: “Bro. Wtf?! What were you thinking???”

RM- “I was thinking about Bo’s mom.”

:dunno:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Stripling and Matz are 4.30 and 4.43 era pitchers this season, both coming off 6.0 innings and 0 earned run games. The realist in me tends to believe one of them may have a game closer to what their season era is. I'd take my chances with Hatch in one of the games the third time through the order (depending on how they look) along with some combo of Cimber+Romano accross the 14 inning double header. It gives the bullpen that one more reliable arm. Not to say if Matz/Stripling are pitching great we have to take them out the 3rd time through like it's set in stone we're taking them out like Montoyo did with Shoemaker in the playoffs but just as an option if Matz/Stripling look average through 4 or 5 innings we have the option to go to Hatch.

There is no denying Matz has been troublesome in his last few starts prior to the game vs Cleveland.

But with the exception of his start vs Boston, Stripling has been fantastic for us.

In 10 of Stripling’s last 13 starts, he has pitched into the 6th in each of them giving up 2 ERs or less. 7 of those 10 starts he gave up 1 ER or less.

The 3 starts he didn’t give you a quality start were against Boston twice and Tampa once.

I have a lot of confidence Stripling gives you at least 5-6 quality innings and in a 7 inning game, not much more you can ask for. This is the main reason I would have Stripling start game 1, I have more confidence in him than Matz, save our pen for game 2 if we need them.

If we are only asking our pen to give you 1-2 innings, the starters did their job.

ERA is earned runs over 9 innings but this is why I like Matz and Stripling on Tuesday. They are playing 7 inning games. If you limit the damage and through the order twice in a 7 inning game then you are at least in the 5th, possibly in the 6th.

This is their ERA prorated to 6 innings;

Matz: 2.87 ERA
Stripling: 2.95 ERA

Innings per start;

Matz: 5.1
Stripling: 5.1

If we are sitting there on Tuesday with Matz and Stripling giving us their averages which would be 5.1 innings of 2-3 runs against with this lineup, we are in a very good position. Because then we are at most asking our pen for 5 outs.

Again not saying we don’t bring Hatch up, but I’m very confident in Matz and Stripling in 7 inning games vs an Angels team with no Trout or Rendon.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It’s a hell of a thing for him to walk back into that locker room after. Like how did that even go?

Whoever: “Bro. Wtf?! What were you thinking???”

RM- “I was thinking about Bo’s mom.”

:dunno:

and then the fight breaks out. And in that situation my money would probably be on Bo. I bet he's scrappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille