2021 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yep, not sure who i missed, but Clearly missed someone...
Surer and bonus overages from last year maybe?

Eh point still stands its the difference in how LTir works in the offseason vs in season

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So Peterson didn't make the team?

This is not the opening night roster. It's the roster to maximize the cap they can use while beeing able to use LTIR while still technically in offseason.

Peterson and Kiviranta will come back up when the team is close to playing an actual game while Oettinger , Bäck and Dellandrea go down. Hakanpää is currently also only on IR so the team can have 24 players on the Cap.

There was no way to fit in Bishops contract without putting him on LTIR before the season starts so the team had to build a wierd little roster to maximize the Cap they can use throughout the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fantomas

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
In reality ... kudos to HF. I was curious if cap gymnastics were going to suck some people in.

The kind of cheeky one I didn't expect was Hakanpaa. They seem to be taking a play out of TB's book. I imagine there's no way he's actually still hurt, probably could have played today if there was an actual game, and they creatively used IR to help artificially increase the cap to as close to $0 with LTIR as possible.

Definitely didn't see that one coming. Hakanpaa's "IR" status just gave them a 25th roster spot before using Bishop's LTIR. Janko Gymnastics is always fun. He's an underrated key member of the front office.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Fantasy question: do you expect Oettinger will be your starter this year? Expected game splits?

I took him as my 3rd goalie late, am hoping he will play the majority of games.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Fantasy question: do you expect Oettinger will be your starter this year? Expected game splits?

That isn't the plan for now. Holtby and Khudobin.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

He's not starting the season in the NHL .

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX

No, won’t be our starter or backup to begin the season. NHL back to a full season though he’ll get an opportunity to grab one of those spots.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Hello former division rivals. Any idea when Bishop is supposed to come back? Can't find any specific information anywhere.

If i had to guess he's not coming back this year . With the cap gymnastics the team is doing around his Caphit on LTIR i can't see them activating him during the season.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Actually, I think full Brent Seabrook is more appropriate, but that is speculative.

The Stars had to maximize Bishop's LTIR, so good on them for doing that to within a used Honda Civic. I didn't expect them to be able to do it because the numbers didn't work when I was looking at it with 23 players, but the Hakanpaa to IR thing closes the gap by adding a 24th player.

Can't remember how IR works, does this mean Hakanpaa has to be out for 2 weeks before he can come back?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Actually, I think full Brent Seabrook is more appropriate, but that is speculative.

The Stars had to maximize Bishop's LTIR, so good on them for doing that to within a used Honda Civic. I didn't expect them to be able to do it because the numbers didn't work when I was looking at it with 23 players, but the Hakanpaa to IR thing closes the gap by adding a 24th player.

Can't remember how IR works, does this mean Hakanpaa has to be out for 2 weeks before he can come back?
I think bish isn’t in that bad of shape tbh. I think he’s just taking the year off to get back to 100 percent by playoffs . He almost came back last year . I think they came up with this plan near the end of last season to give them maximum roster flexibility without getting rid of bishop .

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'm no expert on these things, but when was the last time someone was on IR for over a year and actually came back to play? Whatever he has going on is probably really bad. He hasn't played since March of 2020 (not counting that playoff game), that is 19 months and counting. I'm rooting for him, and you could be right, but I just don't buy it at this point. It's why I said I'm being speculative, but the Stars must be very confident he isn't coming back for the season when they'd have to clear out $4+M to get him back. There's no easy way of doing that, especially mid-season. I also wouldn't risk my playoffs on a guy who hasn't played for over 2 years at that point. That seems crazy.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

While he's currently used like Seabrook i think Bishop is going to return at some point which Seabrook obviously is not. Just not this regular season.

Hakanpää was put on IR retroactively for September 26th. He can be activated at any point.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm no expert on these things, but when was the last time someone was on IR for over a year and actually came back to play? Whatever he has going on is probably really bad. He hasn't played since March of 2020 (not counting that playoff game), that is 19 months and counting. I'm rooting for him, and you could be right, but I just don't buy it at this point. It's why I said I'm being speculative, but the Stars must be very confident he isn't coming back for the season when they'd have to clear out $4+M to get him back. There's no easy way of doing that, especially mid-season. I also wouldn't risk my playoffs on a guy who hasn't played for over 2 years at that point. That seems crazy.

I'm seeing this similar to how Selänne took a year off ( helped it was a lockout in between ) to get fully healthy after the 04 season .

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dobby and Holtby split games for about half of the season, then the lesser of the two gets traded and Bishop gets brought in. Keep Otter in reserve in case Bishop struggles and has to go back on IR.

Reactions: Sports2

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think Bishop is playing in the regular season. I think the Cap math gets too complicated and too many moves would have to be made and assets spend to get that done. If he plays at all this year it will be playoffs.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I don't think banking on Bishop coming back for the playoffs is wise. Guy hasn't played in 2 seasons, he's not going to come into the playoffs and perform like a Vezina candidate... A forward or d-man doing that is one thing, but a goalie? Yeah nah. IMO if he misses the whole season he's done, not going to come back for the playoffs either.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't think anyone on the Stars is banking on that. I think thats his plan. Will that work out ? Dunno.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I’m just saying , they went from “bishop is close to returning” to “bishop is done for the season and maybe next year” in a day . Just happened to be when Dallas playoff hopes went from slim to none . Just the way bishop has worded a few things I’ve seen just seemed off to me aswell .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
For instance , bishop said “ya I was close to playing but we figured why risk it” and in the same interview he says “ we’re still a ways away but the plan is to be ready for the season”. Like how were you close last season but not close this season ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad