WJC: 2021 Team USA Roster Talk - Part 2

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
So apparently that was Johnson that missed the net on the prime opportunity end of 2nd. Not surprising as the Gophers in general miss the net like crazy and it drives me insane.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Great start to that 2nd. Fantastic shift by the top line to generate multiple scoring chances before Zegras buries it.

Kaliyev is busting his ass tonight. He's been great on the forecheck and he's throwing his body around, too.

Knight is still dialed in.

Canada is going to get their chances, but the defense is doing an excellent job of letting Knight make the first save and then cleaning up the garbage if needed.

York had a really tough semifinal, but he's been much better tonight.

Brink is skating like a slug tonight. He's not a good skater but he's chasing the play badly.

You knew Canada was eventually going to start tilting the ice their way some too, and they did that in the last 10 of the 2nd. However, it was nice to see the US still generating their own chances during that.

Let's go!

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
For sure. I think part of the issue is Leaman's reluctance to shuffle lines. I think he just trusts the Beniers and Boldy line more defensively than his other lines.

I think if we've got a lead and we're trying to grind it out defensively, we should ride Turcotte. I don't think Leaman trusted that line to do the heavy lifting in the third because neither winger offers Boldy's defensive contributions, but to me, that's why you shuffle lines to better utilize Turcotte if you're trying to hold onto a lead.

Beniers has been really good on faceoffs for Michigan this year, which is likely where the priority on draws stems from. But yeah he was getting shredded on the dot last night, and Canada will punish us for that. Gotta adjust.

The Canada game is obviously a different challenge, I don't expect us to spend the third period trying to grind it out maintaining a two goal lead. I'd have swapped Caufield and Kaliyev ages ago, but it feels like that ship has sailed at this point.

Happily proven wrong here :)

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Said before the game Knight deserves a lot more respect than he got going into this. Congrats on the win.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
We likely get destroyed next year but despite missing a shit load of talent we still took Gold!!! So proud of these kids, they played their hearts out.

Turcotte, Knight and Zegras will be studs. Berniers is going top 5 folks.

Reactions: William H Bonney

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
SO happy these guys were able to drag the useless corpse of Cole Caufield to a gold, even with him playing top minutes. This guy is supposed to be the next big NHL goal scorer and scores TWO goals as a 19/20 year old, shooting <10% :laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Calling out a shooting percentage like this is basketball shows you've got a great hockey mind talking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad