Speculation: 2021 Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
My point is more than we don't need the league's greatest 3rd line to win the cup again. Especially after learning how to do it the past two years. We've been close enough without them that we just need one that's good enough. That's not so difficult to put together. A couple of those years we didn't even have a decent 4th line either. We do now.
Agree, as good as Coleman and Goodrow have been, I am convinced that we could have won the Cups with say Miller and Paquette. What changed most about the team was not the addition of C and G, but the change in attitude brought about by the earlier disappointments with the bitter and embarrassing experience of 2019 being the most motivating. JBB, Coop and all of the players knew what they had left on the table and were not going to let that happen again. My guess is that even with two Cups in hand some are still haunted to a degree by what could have been. This is a generationally great team that, on paper, should have three of four Cups by now but until "the sweep", even with the most talented roster, they didn't understand what it takes.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You know this is how Ron Francis is going to determine who to draft. :D:D
I'd be interested in it, but I'm also used to doing everything ad-hoc.

Seattle is going big into analytics, and this would essentially be crowdsourcing thousands of fans to help them (for free) with a huge dilemma.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't think @Stammertime91 was talking about the projection, but the new expansion rules. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. Which is why I hope they fail lol. Oh cool, brand new team, instantly great. I don't care about who voted or passed it, it's a total sham to skip the hard times or development stage and just instantly have legit top 6 forwards, a starter, depth and probably quite a few picks.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
You are correct. Which is why I hope they fail lol. Oh cool, brand new team, instantly great. I don't care about who voted or passed it, it's a total sham to skip the hard times or development stage and just instantly have legit top 6 forwards, a starter, depth and probably quite a few picks.

Vegas and Seattle are going to hit hard times in 5 years. No cap space, no development. They will pay dearly if they go for broke which in this world of "win now" (unlike our Bolts), will ultimately bury them.

If Seattle takes our young talent along with some other teams, they may balance it out, but it is tough when a billionaire orders a GM to win ASAP.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
My point is more than we don't need the league's greatest 3rd line to win the cup again. Especially after learning how to do it the past two years. We've been close enough without them that we just need one that's good enough. That's not so difficult to put together. A couple of those years we didn't even have a decent 4th line either. We do now.
We do?

Cause we certainly dont. We have Maroon, Stephens and who? We don't know.

Also, just because you've won and your top half stays doesn't mean their knowledge and experience just wins out. It's not like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray, Fleury, etc all forgot they were gold medalists, cup winners, and champions. Their 3rd line was taken away and their depth took a huge hit. That 3rd was so important to them.

I'm already counting on losing Coleman but Colton is capable as is Joseph to fill in for him, but if we lose this entire 3rd line, it will suck. And those that think you can just plug holes with cheap young guys and allow your knowledge or previous experience to cover for it are in for a rude awakening. That's incredibly naive. Incredibly. The guys we brought in to win that put us over the top are all gone except Maroon. Savards status is up in the air and Colton was a call up. Bogo, Shattenkirk, Coleman, Goodrow, as well as a combo of Gourde, Killorn, Palat or Johnson, that's not good....

Fact of the matter is we are strapped to get under the cap and that's the issue, but the analysis I'm reading here on what we should do is mindblowing.

This also applies to the move or expose Mcdonagh crowd. Absolute hot takes on why we move a #1 defenseman. My gosh.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Agree, as good as Coleman and Goodrow have been, I am convinced that we could have won the Cups with say Miller and Paquette. What changed most about the team was not the addition of C and G, but the change in attitude brought about by the earlier disappointments with the bitter and embarrassing experience of 2019 being the most motivating. JBB, Coop and all of the players knew what they had left on the table and were not going to let that happen again. My guess is that even with two Cups in hand some are still haunted to a degree by what could have been. This is a generationally great team that, on paper, should have three of four Cups by now but until "the sweep", even with the most talented roster, they didn't understand what it takes.

I think this is severely undervaluing Goodrow and Coleman. I don't think being embarrassed in 2019 was the catalyst for our Cup wins because I imagine the guys were pretty embarrassed in 2018 when they blew a 3-2 ECF lead to Washington and got shut out in both game 6 and 7.

Reactions: Stammertime91

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Having new teams completely founder in their early days is no way to build fan bases and is bad for the league. It may a bit too generous as it is now and I would like to see the league allow for the protection of one more player per team but I generally think this is a good way to do it.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Having new teams completely founder in their early days is no way to build fan bases and is bad for the league. It may a bit too generous as it is now and I would like to see the league to allow for the protection of one more player per team but I generally think this is a good way to do it.
I understand that, and I agree making another protection available would help.

Does anybody think a brand new team should be playoff bound year 1? And three seasons straight? I dont. The quality available is ridiculous. For Vegas the timing of contracts and stupid contracts signed since make the available players look quite different, but I'm not a fan of this process. It's totally meaningless to complain about it now, i just hope they whiff on a lot. Struggle and develop your own.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
I think this is severely undervaluing Goodrow and Coleman. I don't think being embarrassed in 2019 was the catalyst for our Cup wins because I imagine the guys were pretty embarrassed in 2018 when they blew a 3-2 ECF lead to Washington and got shut out in both game 6 and 7.
I don't undervalue them at all. They were great, but don't forget how much Goodrow and Coleman benefited from being on the Lightning, with opponents having to devote their top talent to the Bolts top lines. It's a two way street. As for 2018, losing to the eventual Cup champ in a closely contested series can lead you to think you are right there while losing to a team you know is inferior to you in four straight is a different story.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You need a mix of top line guys and sandpaper.

We lost some sandpaper last year...

This year we are losing a lot of sandpaper so that the team is more like the team that lost to CBUS than 2020.

the Playoffs are a whole different animal...you need a mix of both. Our top 4 protected is all finesse

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
2518.jpeg

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

This year we are losing a lot of sandpaper so that the team is more like the team that lost to CBUS than 2020.

the Playoffs are a whole different animal...you need a mix of both. Our top 4 protected is all finesse

I wouldnt call cirelli all finesse. Even so, we can only lose 1 gritty player to expansion.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden

I agree you need gritty players too, but those are easier to get than the top skill players. There's nothing saying we can't add some grit at the trading deadline.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Also, just because you've won and your top half stays doesn't mean their knowledge and experience just wins out. It's not like Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray, Fleury, etc all forgot they were gold medalists, cup winners, and champions. Their 3rd line was taken away and their depth took a huge hit. That 3rd was so important to them.
I would argue their goaltending turning into a dumpster fire (Fleury was gone after their two cups) was a much bigger problem. They also lost depth everywhere, not just the 3rd. I guess I don't understand what the argument is here. It's literally impossible to continue with the same roster and as you said losing McDonagh is even less palatable. There's gonna be holes. Personally I'd rather the holes be on our bottom lines than elsewhere.

Reactions: BoltzManConstant

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I don't care if teams are great off the bat. I care that it's basically a gun to the head that f***s all existing teams over

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If we in fact lose Gourde I wonder if we move Stamkos back to center and Cirelli down to the third. It's nice having the flexibility of a bajillion centers.

Reactions: L8nitebreakfast

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would argue their goaltending turning into a dumpster fire (Fleury was gone after their two cups) was a much bigger problem. They also lost depth everywhere, not just the 3rd. I guess I don't understand what the argument is here. It's literally impossible to continue with the same roster and as you said losing McDonagh is even less palatable. There's gonna be holes. Personally I'd rather the holes be on our bottom lines than elsewhere.
They also didn't have a top-4 close to ours. We're built much differently and our window should be open longer. Even if we take a step back.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we in fact lose Gourde I wonder if we move Stamkos back to center and Cirelli down to the third. It's nice having the flexibility of a bajillion centers.
I think we do.

I dont think we're losing Gourde though.

Last edited:
Reactions: L8nitebreakfast

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A lot of the best goalies ever were great into their late 30s. It might still not be a bad pick for Seattle. It's not like they're gonna have elite players coming up for new contracts any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad