Speculation: 2021 Seattle Expansion Protection Exposure Roster Speculation Discussion Prediction Thread Part 1

Wholl get TAKEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Virtanen is an interesting enough main piece that the Canucks can offer to certain teams for their fourth best defenceman who would otherwise be lost in the expansion draft. Those teams may be better off taking Virtanen+ and losing a lesser piece rather than losing the defenceman for nothing or paying Seattle not to take the defenceman.
Each team still loses a player. So who is the next guy off the list for a team with 4 D?

canucks their only locks for protection are Demko, Schmidt, Juolevi (most likely), Bo, Brock, Miller, Petey.
Up front the options to protect are 3 of Gaudette, Motte, Virtanen, Lind (heard he’s eligible).

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Canucks should be using the upcoming expansion draft as leverage and trying to get a decent dman at a discount price, Hughes is exempt. Myers should be exposed, Edler is a free agent. Schmidt should be protected. After that it's basically just Juolevi who shouldn't even be protected but probably will, still leaves them with 1 open slot unless Benning is stupid enough to actually protect Myers lol.

A smart GM would only protect Schmidt.....
This does 2 things:

1) Ruins Seattle's pre-expansion draft leverage over teams with 4 or more quality dmen. The Canucks can drive up the price or swoop in and trade for a dman. Seattle is a future divisional rival so this is perfect.

2) Helps this shoddy defense improve without costing an arm and a leg, the Canucks won't get a better opportunity than this. Cap will be an obstacle though due to EP/QH's raises. This is when the Myers contract is going to really hurt, it messes up an amazing opportunity.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Canucks should be using the upcoming expansion draft as leverage and trying to get a decent dman at a discount price, Hughes is exempt. Myers should be exposed, Edler is a free agent. Schmidt should be protected. After that it's basically just Juolevi who shouldn't even be protected but probably will, still leaves them with 1 open slot unless Benning is stupid enough to actually protect Myers lol.

A smart GM would only protect Schmidt.....
This does 2 things:

1) Ruins Seattle's pre-expansion draft leverage over teams with 4 or more quality dmen. The Canucks can drive up the price or swoop in and trade for a dman. Seattle is a future divisional rival so this is perfect.

2) Helps this shoddy defense improve without costing an arm and a leg, the Canucks won't get a better opportunity than this. Cap will be an obstacle though due to EP/QH's raises. This is when the Myers contract is going to really hurt, it messes up an amazing opportunity.

I think your timing is off....one a team releases its protected list, that's it. If there were open slots you don't get to fill them in with later trades.

I don't disagree with the general concept, but that negotiation needs to be happening before the protection lists, beginning around the trade deadline, and resuming when playoffs are over. The team has some potential to add.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think your timing is off....one a team releases its protected list, that's it. If there were open slots you don't get to fill them in with later trades.

I don't disagree with the general concept, but that negotiation needs to be happening before the protection lists, beginning around the trade deadline, and resuming when playoffs are over. The team has some potential to add.

Yeah, I understand the timing of how it would work. My bad if my post implied different.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So Lindy boy would need to be protected then, but not Chatty? What about Juolevi? And is Eriksson still have to be protected cause of clauses?

The previously linked website is pretty clear.

-Eriksson does not have any clauses that force his protection
-Lind has 27 NHL games left before he needs to be protected
-MacEwan has 20 NHL games left before he needs to be protected
-Chatfield has 23 NHL games left before he needs to be protected
-Juolevi has 20 NHL games left before he needs to be protected

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He didn't have enough games in the first season to count as a pro season. Rather than waste time explaining who needs to be protected, just check out the capfriendly tool:

Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

From that we can say conclusively that the GP requirement this year to meet the 'exposed player' requirement is 27 games, down from 40 due to the shorter season. Juolevi or Chatfield manage to play that many games and they can be our exposed defender.

Hughes definitely exempt.

I'd still like more clarification of the status of a guy like Chatfield if he doesn't hit 27 games. It would certainly seem logical that a guy with 4 years pro who was eligible for waivers would be eligible to be claimed, but some sources say players with 'two or fewer pro seasons' and some sources say 'two or fewer NHL seasons' are exempt.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This is my question :

Teams need to expose a certain number of players who meet certain requirements. IE. we would be running afoul of the rules if we didn't expose one defender with a certain number of GP.

This list is giving the number of games needed to reach GP required to be a player who fills that requirement.

However, a guy like Griffin Reinhart was claimed in the last ED while not meeting the GP requirement (37 career GP at that point). So it would seem that Edmonton had another defender who met the exposure requirement but that Reinhart (a guy in the same situation as Chatfield now, basically) was still eligible as well because he had played 3 pro seasons, despite not having met the GP requirement.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Expose Jake, and hope to heck Seattle takes his sorry, fat behind.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Apparently the exposure requirements were all prorated:

While the Canucks have a few players with the games played requirement, they're mostly UFAs. Until the Canucks re-sign someone for next year, they need to expose Myers. Either of Juolevi or Chatfield could fill that if they play ~1/2 of the remaining games.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

You have that flipped. Those players all need to be protected or they can be taken.

There's a requirement for teams to expose 2 forwards and 1 defenceman who meets a certain games played threshold. The games referred to in your post are the games remaining to meet that threshold.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

None of this is correct, all those players must be protected. Those GP numbers are simply whether or not they qualify towards the minimum number of "veteran" players that are required to be exposed by each team.

Edit: Looks like @deckercky beat me to the punch by a minute!

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'd still like more clarification of the status of a guy like Chatfield if he doesn't hit 27 games. It would certainly seem logical that a guy with 4 years pro who was eligible for waivers would be eligible to be claimed, but some sources say players with 'two or fewer pro seasons' and some sources say 'two or fewer NHL seasons' are exempt.

Any player that has more than 2 "accrued pro seasons" is eligible to be selected. An "accrued season" is one in which the player was on the pro roster for 40 or more games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Any player that has more than 2 "accrued pro seasons" is eligible to be selected. An "accrued season" is one in which the player was on the pro roster for 40 or more games.

But again, Griffin Reinhart was selected in 2017.

He had played only 37 NHL games at that point. Maybe in 15-16 when he played 29 games he'd been a healthy scratch another 11 times, but he definitely did not have two seasons where he was on an NHL roster for 40 games. His next closest year he played 59 AHL games and 8 NHL games.

On the surface, he should be classified identically to Chatfield and Juolevi if they don't meet the 27 game requirement this year, and that would mean they are eligible.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
But again, Griffin Reinhart was selected in 2017.

He had played only 37 NHL games at that point. Maybe in 15-16 when he played 29 games he'd been a healthy scratch another 11 times, but he definitely did not have two seasons where he was on an NHL roster for 40 games. His next closest year he played 59 AHL games and 8 NHL games.

On the surface, he should be classified identically to Chatfield and Juolevi if they don't meet the 27 game requirement this year, and that would mean they are eligible.

Reinhart had three professional seasons. It's not NHL seasons, it's PRO seasons.

Juolevi/Chatfield are eligible to be selected no matter what happens from here on out. They have to meet that GP requirement only to be eligible to meet the minimum exposure requirement for the Canucks.

Reactions: rypper

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reinhart had three professional seasons. It's not NHL seasons, it's PRO seasons.

Juolevi/Chatfield are eligible to be selected no matter what happens from here on out. They have to meet that GP requirement only to be eligible to meet the minimum exposure requirement for the Canucks.

Yes, that was my take as well.

But you have multiple people here saying that they're only eligible if they hit 27 games (when in fact that would only make them eligible to be the player who meets the team's exposed player requirements) plus the NHL's own release says 'NHL seasons' instead of 'pro seasons'.

My belief is that both Juolevi and Chatfield are 100% eligible no matter what. I just want concrete clarification of that.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I'm honestly unsure of the exact definition of pro seasons used. For some reason, Hughes' 5 regular season games in 2018-19 were not enough, but Makar's 10 playoff games counted as a pro season (and per Bob McKenzie, 1 playoff game was enough to make him expansion eligible):

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yes, that was my take as well.

But you have multiple people here saying that they're only eligible if they hit 27 games (when in fact that would only make them eligible to be the player who meets the team's exposed player requirements) plus the NHL's own release says 'NHL seasons' instead of 'pro seasons'.

My belief is that both Juolevi and Chatfield are 100% eligible no matter what. I just want concrete clarification of that.

Yes, this is correct. The GP requirement is only to meet minimum exposure requirements to ensure Seattle has "NHL quality"(lol) players to select from each team.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm honestly unsure of the exact definition of pro seasons used. For some reason, Hughes' 5 regular season games in 2018-19 were not enough, but Makar's 10 playoff games counted as a pro season (and per Bob McKenzie, 1 playoff game was enough to make him expansion eligible):

Makar is an outlier. Because he signed his first contract at 20 years of age it affects his accrued seasons. Same thing happens with waiver situations I believe.

Reactions: deckercky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad