Celtics/NBA 2021 Playoffs - Celtics season is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Once the Nets got Harden i agree that their window was closed but you could have stopped that. Brown concerns me going forward, he's gotten better every year and took a huge leap this season but he doesn't play a style that is kind to his body and at 24 is already dealing with tendinitis in his knee. I think not making the move for Harden is going to be something Ainge regrets. Great scorer and playmaker who fits the lesser ball movement offense that the Celtics now run and has made the East a conference that Brooklyn should win every year as long as their big 3 stick together and are healthy in the playoffs.

my problem with trading for Harden is that he’s been on better teams than what the Celtics would have had if they dealt for him and he didn’t really sniff a title on those teams

The tendinitis is a little concerning but I’m not overly concerned about it. They do need to figure out what to do with Kemba though

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Brown consulted with Tatum before getting the surgery, Tatum told him to do what’s best long term. I like having two young budding stars that have a great relationship. Now it’s just going to be about further developing them and surrounding them with the right pieces. They didn’t do that this season and ultimately that falls on Ainge. But they’ve also had a ridiculous amount of bad luck and I’m not willing to use this shortened, weird season as an excuse to blow everything up. I don’t think their outlook has really changed long term.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
But they’ve also had a ridiculous amount of bad luck and I’m not willing to use this shortened, weird season as an excuse to blow everything up.

I heard or read recently that the Celtics have only had their top 4 guys ( Tatum, Brown, Walker and Smart ) together for 18 games this season. :amazed:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hall of Fame weekend today in Springfield....

KG goes in ....

btw, Taylor has officially agreed to sell the Timberwolves/Lynx pending league approvals

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
upload_2021-5-15_11-28-50.png

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
After you vented, don't you think you were a little bit harsh keeping Tatum and getting rid of all the players, coaches, GM and President?
There's a difference between wanting to get rid of people and saying everyone on the roster but Tatum aren't untouchable but i blame myself for the confusion, i took a few scenarios and bunched them together without really making that clear so it seems i just want everyone gone and would trade Brown for scraps. When everyone is healthy this is just a good roster, not a great one so if a top 10 player is on the block would i trade Brown for them? As long as that player fit the offense and wasn't just another Tatum then yes, same goes for anybody else on the roster.

I like Stevens, i think he's a good coach, if he got fired he would find a new job almost instantly, but i don't think he's the right coach for this team anymore. He got complete buy in from the IT core, they were a perfect fit for each other, scrappy overachieving underdogs and that carried over into the season where Hayward and Kyrie got hurt but since Tatum and Brown have established themselves as the guys and most of the core from the IT teams besides Smart are gone this team has been winning games purely off talent more than before. The ball movement has dropped every season, the plays out of timeouts have felt like they're becoming less and less prevalent in favor of iso ball and now the defense is falling off. I think when you have a young team you need a coach who has been through the grind of the nba, someone who can relate to the players more than a Stevens can. Also i just think Ainge is just too slow of a mover for the current nba, he had a huge haul of assets and kept most of them, the only time he made a big splash with them was for Kyrie and it backfired but it was still a great trade because IT was broken, Crowder was a role player and Sexton has turned into a good scorer but nowhere near the player Kyrie is. Now your only great assets are your stars, Marcus Smart and maybe the two rookies but those are the finishing pieces to a trade not guys who are going to land you anything great so you're limited in how you can improve the roster.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
There's a difference between wanting to get rid of people and saying everyone on the roster but Tatum aren't untouchable but i blame myself for the confusion, i took a few scenarios and bunched them together without really making that clear so it seems i just want everyone gone and would trade Brown for scraps. When everyone is healthy this is just a good roster, not a great one so if a top 10 player is on the block would i trade Brown for them? As long as that player fit the offense and wasn't just another Tatum then yes, same goes for anybody else on the roster.

I like Stevens, i think he's a good coach, if he got fired he would find a new job almost instantly, but i don't think he's the right coach for this team anymore. He got complete buy in from the IT core, they were a perfect fit for each other, scrappy overachieving underdogs and that carried over into the season where Hayward and Kyrie got hurt but since Tatum and Brown have established themselves as the guys and most of the core from the IT teams besides Smart are gone this team has been winning games purely off talent more than before. The ball movement has dropped every season, the plays out of timeouts have felt like they're becoming less and less prevalent in favor of iso ball and now the defense is falling off. I think when you have a young team you need a coach who has been through the grind of the nba, someone who can relate to the players more than a Stevens can. Also i just think Ainge is just too slow of a mover for the current nba, he had a huge haul of assets and kept most of them, the only time he made a big splash with them was for Kyrie and it backfired but it was still a great trade because IT was broken, Crowder was a role player and Sexton has turned into a good scorer but nowhere near the player Kyrie is. Now your only great assets are your stars, Marcus Smart and maybe the two rookies but those are the finishing pieces to a trade not guys who are going to land you anything great so you're limited in how you can improve the roster.

I got it, fold the franchise.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Wizards have honestly not been a bad team since their abysmal start, they’ve definitely been better than the Celtics for the 2nd half. I know this without even checking

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Can they just go away?

Just give me the lottery pick and start making moves to actually improve the team.
So true, this team has done nothing but disappoint and then make excuses for the entire season. It permeates right from the top too. Ainge has been completely complacent and more than happy to tote the company lines of injuries and covid for excuses. The need a major organizational change that goes beyonf simply shuffling around some bench pieces. Management, coaching, core players all need seriously considered.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad