Prospect Info: 2021 Personal Draft Boards

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What do you like about Lucius? I'm trying to figure out why people rate him highly.

I think the guy has incredible hands, he controls the puck really easily. I think people look at is hands really in terms of shot and he does have a fabulous one, but he shows a lot of puck control in his passing and his ability to at times control tempo. I have deep concerns about his skating, but I think you can get him to a passable area for the wing. He is a duel-threat, in terms of I like to see that he passes the puck extremely well for a guy known for his shot. He shows a high end hockey IQ too in terms of he seems to be in the right place a lot of the time and that is for a guy without the right skating. He is not unlike how I felt about Zadina in his draft year to be honest.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the guy has incredible hands, he controls the puck really easily. I think people look at is hands really in terms of shot and he does have a fabulous one, but he shows a lot of puck control in his passing and his ability to at times control tempo. I have deep concerns about his skating, but I think you can get him to a passable area for the wing. He is a duel-threat, in terms of I like to see that he passes the puck extremely well for a guy known for his shot. He shows a high end hockey IQ too in terms of he seems to be in the right place a lot of the time and that is for a guy without the right skating. He is not unlike how I felt about Zadina in his draft year to be honest.

I think they scored goals from very different areas, and in very different ways… as far as Lucius/Zadina goes.

But if you are saying you had concerns the overall athleticism with both, I get it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think they scored goals from very different areas, and in very different ways… as far as Lucius/Zadina goes.

But if you are saying you had concerns the overall athleticism with both, I get it.

Yeah it was more that is what worries me about him. I think his offensive tool kit is pretty good though. He looks like a very good offensive player to me. I guess Brock Boeser might be better in terms of if he hits his ceiling. He does a good job finding dead zones and because his hands are good he gains control of bad passes and things like that fast. He does that with the quick release that has a ton on it. He also does well passing under pressure, so while he isn't fast I am fairly certain you have a big PP guy, but I think his ability to find dead zones and his ability to control the puck can make him an impactful guy 5 on 5. He just needs to be able to make plays under duress and I saw a lot of flashes of that.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
Alright here's my top 50. The first 30 came together fairly easily, but the next 20 were a lot tougher to sort. I tried to give an NHL comparable that shows what I see as their playing style (chime in if you agree or disagree on style - I know comparables are always dicey, but they help get discussion going about specific attributes) as well as in a lot of cases what you can expect if the player "hits" (everyone has a different chance of hitting, so one comp might be for a better player, but lower on the list because of a risker pick). The way I rank is by looking over the consensus top 75 or so guys from the major lists, then reordering to my own preference based on video from there. So, you won't find any Chinakov-type off the board guys in there (except for Suomi, he really caught my eye when I was looking into the Finnish players). This also isn't how I'd draft for Detroit, but I prefer BPA early on so it'd probably be close.
1. Power (Ekblad)
-----
2. Eklund (Giroux)
-----
3. Guenther (Tarasenko)
4. Edvinsson (Klefbom)
5. Hughes (Reilly)
6. McTavish (Lee)
7. Beniers (Larkin)
-----
8. Chibrikov (Teravainen)
9. Ceulemans (Theodore)
10. Lucius (Vanek)
11. Svechkov (Lindholm)
12. Clarke (Klingberg)
13. Wallstedt
-----
14. Sillinger (Perron)
15. Rosen (Fiala)
16. Samoskevich (Schwartz)
17. Lysell (Vrana)
18. Bolduc (Kuznetsov)
19. Coronato (Trocheck)
20. Johnson (Hemsky)
21. Olausson (Burakovsky)
22. Bourgault (Bailey)
23. Zellwegger (Girard)
-----
24. Stankoven (T. Johnson)
25. Chayka (Pesce)
26. Lambos (Schmidt)
27. Dean (Backlund)
28. L'Heureux (Kadri)
29. Peart (Fabbro)
30. Cossa
-----
31. Poltapov (Drouin)
32. Othmann (Bertuzzi)
33. Pinelli (Eller)
34. Buium (C. Murphy)
35. Raty (Henrique)
36. Tuomaala (Eberle)
37. Pastujov (C. Smith)
38. Morrow (C. Miller)
39. Robertsson (Kapanen)
40. Gaudreau
41. Knies (Niederreiter)
-----
42. Winterton (Wennberg)
43. Broz (Iafallo)
44. Hreschuk (Ferraro)
45. Nause (de Haan)
46. Olsson (Demers)
47. Behrens (Grzelyck)
48. Martino (Athanasiou)
49. Stromgren (Gurianov)
50. Boucher (Comeau)
HM
Kisakov
Suomi
Duke
Salminen
Johntson
Roulette
Harrison
Svozil
Whynot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah it was more that is what worries me about him. I think his offensive tool kit is pretty good though. He looks like a very good offensive player to me. I guess Brock Boeser might be better in terms of if he hits his ceiling. He does a good job finding dead zones and because his hands are good he gains control of bad passes and things like that fast. He does that with the quick release that has a ton on it. He also does well passing under pressure, so while he isn't fast I am fairly certain you have a big PP guy, but I think his ability to find dead zones and his ability to control the puck can make him an impactful guy 5 on 5. He just needs to be able to make plays under duress and I saw a lot of flashes of that.

I don't know, man. I hate the idea of drafting a one-way center and hoping they turn into a scoring line winger. That's vibe I get with Lucius and Johnson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't know, man. I hate the idea of drafting a one-way center and hoping they turn into a scoring line winger. That's vibe I get with Lucius and Johnson.

You should not be concerned that the guy with 18 assists in 26 NCAA games, compared to 9 goals, is a 1 way player.

I know a good chunk of them are 2nd assists, but he is someone who is very well in a cycle and when play is set up in the offensive zone in my opinion.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You should not be concerned that the guy with 18 assists in 26 NCAA games, compared to 9 goals, is a 1 way player.

I know a good chunk of them are 2nd assists, but he is someone who is very well in a cycle and when play is set up in the offensive zone in my opinion.

There's no doubting that Johnson is skilled and primary assists versus secondary assists doesn't bother me because they show involvement in the play. What concerns me (that I mentioned in another thread) is the lack of defensive ability relative to the rest of his teammates, his build, lack of strength even relative to others in his draft class, lack of explosiveness in his skating. And I think my biggest concern is that of his 27 points 9 came in 2 games, 12 in 3.

In 11% of the games on the season Kent Johnson scored 44% of his points. And he didn't score early and dominate in those games. He scored many of them late in blowouts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There's no doubting that Johnson is skilled and primary assists versus secondary assists doesn't bother me because they show involvement in the play. What concerns me (that I mentioned in another thread) is the lack of defensive ability relative to the rest of his teammates, his build, lack of strength even relative to others in his draft class, lack of explosiveness in his skating. And I think my biggest concern is that of his 27 points 9 came in 2 games, 12 in 3.

In 11% of the games on the season Kent Johnson scored 44% of his points. And he didn't score early and dominate in those games. He scored many of them late in blowouts.

Oh did you mean 1 way as far as all offense and no defense? I can understand that. I thought you meant just a shooter and not a passer.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have made my list a million different ways, and none of them I like. I will try to post something final tonight.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have made my list a million different ways, and none of them I like. I will try to post something final tonight.

I have never disliked this process more to be honest. Though I think even in a normal year this draft class would be tough. Like I have a few guys I don't really like aspects of their game in the top 10, that is kind of unusual. In most years you don't have to do a ton of bartering there, I felt like I did this year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Lots of junior players go from center to wing to ease that burden defensively in fact big chunks of this draft class are going to do just that. I am curious if Johnson is shifted to the middle this year at U of M. I guess we will have to wait and see. But a part of what intrigues me is that Lucius should be developed as a center at Minnesota, so he should get a more rounded development. What I like is that they drive play and they have very good albeit raw at times finishing ability. But we will see these guys are young.

I also think my biggest difference with Lucius and say the Black Book, is I see a higher end compete. I have talked to the few actual professionals that I know around this and they all have wonderful things to say about his character and work ethic. I see an intriguing offensive tool kit and a player with some surrounding insights I bought.

On Johnson I have said pretty openly it is the Zegras factor. I had Zegras at 15 or 16 if I remember right and it was basically the he wants to slow the game down too much, a bunch of his passes are too high risk and won't work in the NHL. All of that stuff actually probably isn't wrong though he has increased his pace of play, but I stuck to qualifying what he didn't do well and avoided some of the things he clearly did very well. He understood how to take contact, change paces, open lanes, manipulate defenders and drove a lot of chances.

You know one area Johnson defends pretty well, the actual exit of your zone. Despite what he gives up physically he is a surprisingly good board battler. One of the reasons if you really project him on the wing, I am a little surprised by the defensive talk. For a guy that needs a ton more power in his skating and frame those are most of the areas you would like to see him get more stuck in as a defender. He is willing though and he thinks the game. One of the things both those guys do well though is they are outlets in the defensive zone, they are both very adapt at finding open space and manipulating what is given to them and they do that through the entire build of play. Now they certainly have a ways to go, but I think that is for the most part projection area stuff and would be on our development team and coaching staff to pull more out. Which is a reality with most of these guys, we are getting an intriguing work in progress on Friday, the surer things just don't exist for me in this draft, though I know some like it a lot.

Reactions: Tetsuo and Realgud

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The first tier are guys I would consider at 6. (From 4-11 you can flip them around different ways and I won't fuss)
The second tier are guys I would consider at 22/23.
The third tier are guys I would consider from the 2nd round on.

1-Owen Power
2-Luke Hughes
3-Matt Beniers
4-Kent Johnson
5-Brandt Clarke
6-Simon Edvinsson
7-Dylan Guenther
8-William Eklund
9-Cole Sillinger
10-Mason McTavish
11-Jesper Wallstedt

12-Matt Coronato
13-Fedor Svechkov
14-Carson Lambos
15-Chaz Lucius
16-Xavier Bourgault
17-Isak Rosen
18-Sebastian Cossa
19-Francesco Pinelli
20-Oskar Olausson
21-Fabian Lysell
22-Mackie Samoskevich
23-Zach L'Heureux
24-Aatu Raty
25-Brennan Othmann
26-Nikita Chibrikov
27-Daniil Chayka
28-Samu Tuommala

29-William Stromgren
30-Zach Bolduc
31-Aleksi Heimosalmi
32-Wyatt Johnston
33-Tristan Broz
34-Zach Dean
35-Matthew Knies
36-Alexander Kisakov
37-Sasha Pastujov
38-Corson Ceuelmans
39-Samu Salminen
40-Olen Zellweger
41-Simon Robertsson
42-Logan Stankoven
43-Stanislav Svozil
44-Scott Morrow
45-Ville Koivunen
46-Benjamin Gaudreau
47-Prokthor Polpatov
48-Shai Buium
49-Anton Olsson
50-Jack Peart

HMS-
Sean Behrens
Tyler Boucher
Ryan Wintertron
Justin Robidas
Aryton Martino
Kirill Kirsanov
Dylan Duke
Brent Johnson
Kirill Gerasimyuk
Danila Klimovich

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
  1. Owen Power
  2. Luke Hughes
  3. Simon Edvinsson
  4. Matt Beniers
  5. Kent Johnson
  6. Mason McTavish
  7. Cole Sillinger
  8. Fedor Svechkov
  9. Brandt Clarke
  10. Dylan Guenther
  11. William Eklund
  12. Jesper Wallstedt
  13. Sebastian Cossa
  14. Zachary Bolduc
  15. Chaz Lucius
  16. Carson Lambos
  17. Zachary L’Hereux
  18. Wyatt Johnston
  19. Matt Coronato
  20. Matthew Knies
  21. Brennan Othmann
  22. Francesco Pinelli
  23. Samy Salminen
  24. Aleksi Hemosalmi
  25. Oskar Olausson
  26. Ilya Fedotov
  27. Zach Dean
  28. Xavier Bourgault
  29. Logan Mailloux
  30. Aatu Raty
  31. Fabian Lysell
  32. Nikita Chibrikov
  33. Colton Dach
  34. Ville Koivunen
  35. Corson Ceulemans
  36. Vlad Lukashevich
  37. Isak Rosen
  38. Jack Peart
  39. Danil Chayka
  40. Riley Kidney
  41. Mackie Samoskevich
  42. Chase Stillman
  43. William Stromgren
  44. Samu Tuomaala
  45. Artem Grushnikov
  46. Stan Svozsil
  47. Prokhor Poltapov
  48. Simon Robertsson
  49. Red Savage
  50. Scott Morrow
  51. Dmitri Klimovich
  52. Samu Helenius
  53. Alexander Kisakov
  54. Aidan Hreschuk
  55. Shai Buium
  56. Ayrton Martino
  57. Kirill Gerasimyuk
  58. Kirill Kirsanov
  59. Ben Gaudreau
  60. Dylan Duke
  61. Brent Johnson
  62. Evan Nause
  63. Brett Harrison
  64. Sean Tschigerl
  65. Ben Roger
  66. Dmitri Kostenko
  67. Ryan Mast
  68. Guilaume Richard
  69. Tristan Broz
  70. Sasha Pastujov
  71. Roman Schmidt
  72. Anton Olsson
  73. Josh Doan
  74. Cole Jordan
  75. Tyler Boucher
  76. Zach Ostapchuk
  77. Oliver Kapanen
  78. Nolan Allan
  79. Ryder Korczak
  80. Liam Dower Nilsson
  81. Peter Reynolds
  82. Jayden Grubbe
  83. Logan Stankoven
  84. Dru Krebbs
  85. William Trudeau
  86. Joe Vrbetic
  87. Vinny Iorio
  88. Sean Behrens
  89. Ethan Delmastro
  90. Oliver Moberg
  91. Aku Koskenvuo
  92. Oliver Nadeau
  93. Haakon Hanelt
  94. Justin Robidas
  95. Caden Brown
  96. Talyn Boyko
  97. Andre Buyalsky
  98. Ivan Zhigalov
  99. Maxim Landry
  100. Yegor Savikov
  101. Ryan Winterton
  102. Trevor Wong
  103. Viktor Stjernborg

Reactions: alexislafreniere

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
  1. Owen Power
  2. Luke Hughes
  3. Simon Edvinsson
  4. Matt Beniers
  5. Kent Johnson
  6. Mason McTavish
  7. Cole Sillinger
  8. Fedor Svechkov
  9. Brandt Clarke
  10. Dylan Guenther
  11. William Eklund
  12. Jesper Wallstedt
  13. Sebastian Cossa
  14. Zachary Bolduc
  15. Chaz Lucius
  16. Carson Lambos
  17. Zachary L’Hereux
  18. Wyatt Johnston
  19. Matt Coronato
  20. Matthew Knies
  21. Brennan Othmann
  22. Francesco Pinelli
  23. Samy Salminen
  24. Aleksi Hemosalmi
  25. Oskar Olausson
  26. Ilya Fedotov
  27. Zach Dean
  28. Xavier Bourgault
  29. Logan Mailloux
  30. Aatu Raty
  31. Fabian Lysell
  32. Nikita Chibrikov
  33. Colton Dach
  34. Ville Koivunen
  35. Corson Ceulemans
  36. Vlad Lukashevich
  37. Isak Rosen
  38. Jack Peart
  39. Danil Chayka
  40. Riley Kidney
  41. Mackie Samoskevich
  42. Chase Stillman
  43. William Stromgren
  44. Samu Tuomaala
  45. Artem Grushnikov
  46. Stan Svozsil
  47. Prokhor Poltapov
  48. Simon Robertsson
  49. Red Savage
  50. Scott Morrow
  51. Dmitri Klimovich
  52. Samu Helenius
  53. Alexander Kisakov
  54. Aidan Hreschuk
  55. Shai Buium
  56. Ayrton Martino
  57. Kirill Gerasimyuk
  58. Kirill Kirsanov
  59. Ben Gaudreau
  60. Dylan Duke
  61. Brent Johnson
  62. Evan Nause
  63. Brett Harrison
  64. Sean Tschigerl
  65. Ben Roger
  66. Dmitri Kostenko
  67. Ryan Mast
  68. Guilaume Richard
  69. Tristan Broz
  70. Sasha Pastujov
  71. Roman Schmidt
  72. Anton Olsson
  73. Josh Doan
  74. Cole Jordan
  75. Tyler Boucher
  76. Zach Ostapchuk
  77. Oliver Kapanen
  78. Nolan Allan
  79. Ryder Korczak
  80. Liam Dower Nilsson
  81. Peter Reynolds
  82. Jayden Grubbe
  83. Logan Stankoven
  84. Dru Krebbs
  85. William Trudeau
  86. Joe Vrbetic
  87. Vinny Iorio
  88. Sean Behrens
  89. Ethan Delmastro
  90. Oliver Moberg
  91. Aku Koskenvuo
  92. Oliver Nadeau
  93. Haakon Hanelt
  94. Justin Robidas
  95. Caden Brown
  96. Talyn Boyko
  97. Andre Buyalsky
  98. Ivan Zhigalov
  99. Maxim Landry
  100. Yegor Savikov
  101. Ryan Winterton
  102. Trevor Wong
  103. Viktor Stjernborg

No way Chayka goes #39. He will be like top 20-25 at the latest.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
The first tier are guys I would consider at 6. (From 4-11 you can flip them around different ways and I won't fuss)
The second tier are guys I would consider at 22/23.
The third tier are guys I would consider from the 2nd round on.

1-Owen Power
2-Luke Hughes
3-Matt Beniers
4-Kent Johnson
5-Brandt Clarke
6-Simon Edvinsson
7-Dylan Guenther
8-William Eklund
9-Cole Sillinger
10-Mason McTavish
11-Jesper Wallstedt

12-Matt Coronato
13-Fedor Svechkov
14-Carson Lambos
15-Chaz Lucius
16-Xavier Bourgault
17-Isak Rosen
18-Sebastian Cossa
19-Francesco Pinelli
20-Oskar Olausson
21-Fabian Lysell
22-Mackie Samoskevich
23-Zach L'Heureux
24-Aatu Raty
25-Brennan Othmann
26-Nikita Chibrikov
27-Daniil Chayka
28-Samu Tuommala

29-William Stromgren
30-Zach Bolduc
31-Aleksi Heimosalmi
32-Wyatt Johnston
33-Tristan Broz
34-Zach Dean
35-Matthew Knies
36-Alexander Kisakov
37-Sasha Pastujov
38-Corson Ceuelmans
39-Samu Salminen
40-Olen Zellweger
41-Simon Robertsson
42-Logan Stankoven
43-Stanislav Svozil
44-Scott Morrow
45-Ville Koivunen
46-Benjamin Gaudreau
47-Prokthor Polpatov
48-Shai Buium
49-Anton Olsson
50-Jack Peart

HMS-
Sean Behrens
Tyler Boucher
Ryan Wintertron
Justin Robidas
Aryton Martino
Kirill Kirsanov
Dylan Duke
Brent Johnson
Kirill Gerasimyuk
Danila Klimovich
I was hoping to see Sillinger in ur top 8, you just couldn’t do it could ya

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Here are some of my thoughts after putting together a ranking
-I can't remember a draft with less center prospects with top 6 upside in the top 50. A lot of guys that I see either moving to the wing, or with 3C upside.
-I don't like any of the defenseman after Lambos very much.
-I hope these kids knock their development out of the park next year.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Here are some of my thoughts after putting together a ranking
-I can't remember a draft with less center prospects with top 6 upside in the top 50. A lot of guys that I see either moving to the wing, or with 3C upside..

Kotkaniemi draft was similar in terms of lack of centers. Lots of guys went higher than expected (and then Veleno fell, inexplicably)
But the part I agree with is all the Cs who might end up as wingers. Johnson. McTavish. Silinger. Lucius. Etc.
I think Johnson's going to end up in the middle.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't claim to be an expert or have done a ton of research, but it's fun to have something out there:

1. Power
2. Beniers
--------------
3. Edvinsson
4. Eklund
5. Hughes
6. McTavish
--------------
7. Wallstedt
8. Clarke
9. Guenther
10. Kent Johnson