2021 OHL Priority Selection Mock Draft

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Great work as always.

As it pertains to the Rangers, how likely do you think it is that Luca Pinelli slides to the Rangers, and do you think they take him for sure if he's available? I know it's tough to tell this year with limited viewing, but I thought Pinelli was expected to go higher. But on the other hand, so was Francesco in 2019 and he told (IIRC) the Spitfires and maybe some others he wouldn't report there and ended up sliding to Kitchener.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Brock, your input is a on the drafts are always appreciated and the tireless efforts are a must read for OHL fans every year.

Owen Sound always surprises at the draft table and and that input you put into your mock drafts gives a lot clearer picture of what the draft class holds.

Keep up your amazing work, Brock.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Great work as always.

As it pertains to the Rangers, how likely do you think it is that Luca Pinelli slides to the Rangers, and do you think they take him for sure if he's available? I know it's tough to tell this year with limited viewing, but I thought Pinelli was expected to go higher. But on the other hand, so was Francesco in 2019 and he told (IIRC) the Spitfires and maybe some others he wouldn't report there and ended up sliding to Kitchener.

The late first is the area where I've heard Luca's name the most. If he were available, yeah I would be surprised if the Rangers didn't take him.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Brock, your input is a on the drafts are always appreciated and the tireless efforts are a must read for OHL fans every year.

Owen Sound always surprises at the draft table and and that input you put into your mock drafts gives a lot clearer picture of what the draft class holds.

Keep up your amazing work, Brock.

Appreciate the kind words. Admittedly, all the kudos should go to the collaborators on these OHL Mock Drafts every year. In a normal year, I really only go to a couple MM tournaments. This year, obviously it's been watching a bit of video clips but that's it. The guys who collaborated are the real heroes, ciphering through hours of scrimmage and practice footage to have knowledge about this class that way extends mine. Part of why I do this every year is to help me learn about the crop too!

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Appreciate the kind words. Admittedly, all the kudos should go to the collaborators on these OHL Mock Drafts every year. In a normal year, I really only go to a couple MM tournaments. This year, obviously it's been watching a bit of video clips but that's it. The guys who collaborated are the real heroes, ciphering through hours of scrimmage and practice footage to have knowledge about this class that way extends mine. Part of why I do this every year is to help me learn about the crop too!
Hey Brock! I do have a question for you which i realize might be hard to answer this year. What is the conscensus in your group of collaborators? Is this considered a good draft? A deep draft? How does it compare to the last few years in depth and top end talent? Look forward to your insight. Thanks in advance.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Hey Brock! I do have a question for you which i realize might be hard to answer this year. What is the conscensus in your group of collaborators? Is this considered a good draft? A deep draft? How does it compare to the last few years in depth and top end talent? Look forward to your insight. Thanks in advance.

That question did certainly come up in discussions with the collaborators and I know that a few of them feel like it's a very strong draft. Another scout that I spoke to (that isn't involved in collaborating because they work for a team) said that if this group managed to have a real season, it would have been a hell of a year and this crop would be getting a significant amount of hype. Would have been insane to see that Oakville Rangers team, in particular. They could legitimately have 8 or 9 kids taken inside the first two rounds.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I think we need an update already. London picks 2 players on the NTDP roster!
It seems the Knights have stayed away from the flyer picks in the first 2 rounds the last 4 or 5 years.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Thanks for all your hard work Brock, it is always a good read.

Have you heard anything about defected players from last year’s draft? Nick Moldenhauer still hasn’t signed with Ottawa, it seems. Is there a deadline to declare these picks defected to get a comp pick this year? Do you know when the draft pick trading window will take place?

Thanks again, awesome work!

TerryN

May 17, 2016
Should be an interesting draft , even harder than normal to predict. I would not be surprised to see more later round picks make teams than in a normal scouting year.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thanks for all your hard work Brock, it is always a good read.

Have you heard anything about defected players from last year’s draft? Nick Moldenhauer still hasn’t signed with Ottawa, it seems. Is there a deadline to declare these picks defected to get a comp pick this year? Do you know when the draft pick trading window will take place?

Thanks again, awesome work!

Great question. I believe the trade window opens up either this weekend or next week. We should get a better idea then since we still have three first rounders from last year who have not signed. I don't think there is any chance the Spirit relinquish the rights to Fantilli, but Moldenhauer and Castle could be a different story.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Great question. I believe the trade window opens up either this weekend or next week. We should get a better idea then since we still have three first rounders from last year who have not signed. I don't think there is any chance the Spirit relinquish the rights to Fantilli, but Moldenhauer and Castle could be a different story.

What’s the story on those 2? Why won’t they report? Ottawa and Oshawa don’t usually have issues with players not reporting.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
What’s the story on those 2? Why won’t they report? Ottawa and Oshawa don’t usually have issues with players not reporting.
I think in Oshawa case, it has something to do with the Tomasino trade. Oshawa 1st rd pick Castles
is part of the trade with Niagara Falls.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Wolves could very well be interested in Moldenhauer as he played with Musty. Moving their second round pick that they got from Guelph could be part of a deal for picks.

Reactions: howlman

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Wolves could very well be interested in Moldenhauer as he played with Musty. Moving their second round pick that they got from Guelph could be part of a deal for picks.
If he won't report to Ottawa I'd be fine with trading him to the wolves and get the comp pick. Historically defected first went for about three seconds. As he was a late first maybe two seconds and a third??

Reactions: BarberPole9

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Is that "Guelph" pick in this years draft? If so it won't be around by the time you can trade for players? Only picks can be traded pre-draft.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
If he won't report to Ottawa I'd be fine with trading him to the wolves and get the comp pick. Historically defected first went for about three seconds. As he was a late first maybe two seconds and a third??

Absolute mystery why any young player with pro aspirations wouldn't report to Ottawa. ( Who's advising this kid anyways ?..lol.) Arguably the top development program in the whole CHL - its run like a mini-NHL program - and then toss in the close ties to the POE and man...most kids would fight tooth-and-nail to be given an opportunity with Ottawa. Very strange.....

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Absolute mystery why any young player with pro aspirations wouldn't report to Ottawa. ( Who's advising this kid anyways ?..lol.) Arguably the top development program in the whole CHL - its run like a mini-NHL program - and then toss in the close ties to the POE and man...most kids would fight tooth-and-nail to be given an opportunity with Ottawa. Very strange.....

If he's an NCAA route guy, he's an NCAA route guy. Obviously I'm biased towards the CHL but there are a ton of Canadians who have also gone NCAA and made it to the NHL too. And he's playing for the Chicago Steel which are an elite USHL organization. Many scouts had him higher than where Ottawa drafted him so I assume it was known he was strongly considering NCAA or he would've been taken higher, Ottawa was just willing to take the chance to try to talk him out of it

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
If he's an NCAA route guy, he's an NCAA route guy. Obviously I'm biased towards the CHL but there are a ton of Canadians who have also gone NCAA and made it to the NHL too. And he's playing for the Chicago Steel which are an elite USHL organization. Many scouts had him higher than where Ottawa drafted him so I assume it was known he was strongly considering NCAA or he would've been taken higher, Ottawa was just willing to take the chance to try to talk him out of it

Ok ,if he has NCAA aspirations then by all means... My comments were more in context of a kid refusing to report to Ottawa in favor of playing somewhere else in the O.

Reactions: BarberPole9

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Is that "Guelph" pick in this years draft? If so it won't be around by the time you can trade for players? Only picks can be traded pre-draft.

Good point, if teams are going to move picks it will be to fill holes in there draft selections. Especially this draft, the downside with this draft will be do teams plug holes in their draft cupboards when teams haven't really been able to see what these kids have done and the ones prior to this draft haven't played a single game in the OHL yet.

I can't see teams really making big splash deals for picks this draft but it depends on the team if Guelph is one of those teams who have wheeled and dealt in the past then those picks will definitely juggle again before draft day.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

There are a few too many assumption going on with respect to Moldenhauer. First, just because he hasn't signed doesn't mean he won't. Second, he did play a handful of games for Chicago when they were in a player eligibiity crunch. He performed ok byt 2 assists isn't really lighting the lamp either. He played in a very low level league where he was something like 2-3 points per game. It was like he went and played Bantam a second year! That is not an NCAA route.

IIRC, most of the rankings had him middle of 2nd round. He didn't fall to Ottawa because of NCAA aspirations. If he had have, he wouldn't have played where he did this year. He's 17 and hasn't signed a letter of intent either which is odd if that were the route he actually intends on going.

To me, this looks more like the player doesn't want to go to Ottawa and prefers a different destination for whatever reason. Either that or Ottawa is playing hard ball on the education package and is trying to manage their gold packages allottment.

All assumptions on my part but it really seems to be pointed moreso in that direction than NCAA.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
There are a few too many assumption going on with respect to Moldenhauer. First, just because he hasn't signed doesn't mean he won't. Second, he did play a handful of games for Chicago when they were in a player eligibiity crunch. He performed ok byt 2 assists isn't really lighting the lamp either. He played in a very low level league where he was something like 2-3 points per game. It was like he went and played Bantam a second year! That is not an NCAA route.

IIRC, most of the rankings had him middle of 2nd round. He didn't fall to Ottawa because of NCAA aspirations. If he had have, he wouldn't have played where he did this year. He's 17 and hasn't signed a letter of intent either which is odd if that were the route he actually intends on going.

To me, this looks more like the player doesn't want to go to Ottawa and prefers a different destination for whatever reason. Either that or Ottawa is playing hard ball on the education package and is trying to manage their gold packages allottment.

All assumptions on my part but it really seems to be pointed moreso in that direction than NCAA.
Was he a first round pick? If so he automatically would get a gold package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad