Post-Game Talk: 2021 NHL Stanley Cup Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montréal Canadiens

My Magic 8 Ball says…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I would expect the Habs best game Monday night, I am conflicted about this game.

I would love if we could win on Home Ice but at the same time sweeping the Habs and lifting the cup on their ice would be hilarious.

Reactions: harv33173

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Based on that, if the Habs do keep it alive, would they really fly the day of a game down in the SCF? The options are either reverse games 5 and 6 or postpone a day or two. Really feel like the former makes more sense, at least as the first option of what you can do.

But hopefully it's immaterial and the series is over on Monday night.
NBC likely wouldn't have any objection to having Game 5 in Montreal. Depending on how bad TB is affected, the Lightning may be in Montreal for a few days if they win Monday.

I think that it's likely though that the Lightning asks to delay Game 4 in most circumstances. The Amalie Arena watch party would be canceled (which I didn't consider initially), and there could be this weird situation where there's a curfew, but people are out celebrating winning sports. How many people could lose power is also unknown, and while that'd be memorable, I think it'd draw the wrath of the fans.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
NBC likely wouldn't have any objection to having Game 5 in Montreal. Depending on how bad TB is affected, the Lightning may be in Montreal for a few days if they win Monday.

I think that it's likely though that the Lightning asks to delay Game 4 in most circumstances. The Amalie Arena watch party would be canceled (which I didn't consider initially), and there could be this weird situation where there's a curfew, but people are out celebrating winning sports. How many people could lose power is also unknown, and while that'd be memorable, I think it'd draw the wrath of the fans.
Forecast says the storm will be in Georgia by game time. Shouldn't have to cancel anything unless it becomes an actual hurricane but with it going over Cuba and not having favorable conditions to develop I doubt it. We usually don't have to worry about major hits until later in the season.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Forecast says the storm will be in Georgia by game time. Shouldn't have to cancel anything unless it becomes an actual hurricane but with it going over Cuba and not having favorable conditions to develop I doubt it. We usually don't have to worry about major hits until later in the season.
I'm looking at the NHC's 'earliest reasonable arrival time of ts winds'. They've still got 8 pm Monday as being too close to Tampa Bay. The NHL has a bit of time to wait before making a decision.

What a possibility is, is that it glides over Cuba, restrengthens in the Atlantic, and runs along the coast. Everything is in the cone of uncertainty.

You're right that it's not late enough in hurricane season to get too powerful, but if the league and team gets the path wrong, it's going to be another 'thing'. Tampa PD would probably prefer their cops focus on either a potential curfew, or a rowdy mass celebration. We could get both Monday night. Exactly because the severity of the storm is being downplayed, and we're well-worn, the more people will dismiss it.

A severe tropical storm can have 60 mph sustained winds, and it'd be flatfooted for fans to get stuck at bars, etc. (also why the Amalie watch party would be canceled)

Local TB media would be covering the storm, and not giving the Lightning their deserved attention.

Last edited:

TheFurryPickle

Mar 9, 2019
If we win in Canada just means I’ll have to buy another one of those pucks with the ice in it. Wife has already kid down the law on what I can buy - will ignore that

I’m just pissed I can’t buy those game worn jerseys when they come up at auction cos I’m not living in North America.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm looking at the NHC's 'earliest reasonable arrival time of ts winds'. They've still got 8 pm Monday as being too close to Tampa Bay. The NHL has a bit of time to wait before making a decision.

What a possibility is, is that it glides over Cuba, restrengthens in the Atlantic, and runs along the coast. Everything is in the cone of uncertainty.

You're right that it's not late enough in hurricane season to get too powerful, but if the league and team gets the path wrong, it's going to be another 'thing'. Tampa PD would probably prefer their cops focus on either a potential curfew, or a rowdy mass celebration. We could get both Monday night. Exactly because the severity of the storm is being downplayed, and we're well-worn, the more people will dismiss it.

A severe tropical storm can have 60 mph sustained winds, and it'd be flatfooted for fans to get stuck at bars, etc. (also why the Amalie watch party would be canceled)

Local TB media would be covering the storm, and not giving the Lightning their deserved attention.
Oh wait I misread. I thought you were talking about Game 5, not Game 4. Personally think delaying a game because of a storm hundreds of miles away is a bit overkill just to save some watch parties.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Oh wait I misread. I thought you were talking about Game 5, not Game 4. Personally think delaying a game because of a storm hundreds of miles away is a bit overkill just to save some watch parties.
It's not about watch parties alone. It is because it's the cup.

There's nothing preventing a game in Montreal from being played, but it'd be rough PR if there are widespread power outages in the market that can't see its team win the cup. Cue the 'league shoots itself in foot again' articles. We know that the storm is coming. NBC has meteorologists.

We also know that plenty of people won't take a free vaccine. Watch parties will be made, and they'll get stuck at them.

Local network TV (and Game 4 is on NBC), drop their programming to go to weather coverage. We're basically asking them to choose. The SCF could be shifted to NBCSN in those markets, I suppose.

Having both of these things at the same time is just making it too complex. Given how quick things were to shut down for COVID, I can't see how they'd push forward with Game 4 on Monday.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
It's not about watch parties alone. It is because it's the cup.

There's nothing preventing a game in Montreal from being played, but it'd be rough PR if there are widespread power outages in the market that can't see its team win the cup. Cue the 'league shoots itself in foot again' articles. We know that the storm is coming. NBC has meteorologists.

We also know that plenty of people won't take a free vaccine. Watch parties will be made, and they'll get stuck at them.

Local network TV (and Game 4 is on NBC), drop their programming to go to weather coverage. We're basically asking them to choose. The SCF could be shifted to NBCSN in those markets, I suppose.

Having both of these things at the same time is just making it too complex. Given how quick things were to shut down for COVID, I can't see how they'd push forward with Game 4 on Monday.
Well now it's looking like it'll be stuck in Cuba on Monday anyway...

115918_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Well now it's looking like it'll be stuck in Cuba on Monday anyway...

115918_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
Those are the likely times. I'm looking at the earliest reasonable times, also provided by the NHC. It's trending in the right way, but we're really on a tightrope here. The difference is quibbling over like 12 hours.

The players would be justified in asking for a postponement. They can't get their families up to MTL, and if they're in TB, they might not even be able to watch the game.

If this was a severe blizzard in Montreal or something, and they were down here, I'd be on board for them.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I’ve noticed a couple of clips people are pulling from some kind of show that follows the team like HBO did a few years ago for the Winter Classic games. Where are people finding this, and is it possible to get it on… the free side…

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
NHL apparently unfazed.

Good on them. A multi-billion dollar entity like the NHL ought to be able to figure out how to get the Stanley Cup to Florida in 4 hours when the storm won't have any real affect until much later on Tuesday. The only thing that needs to get delayed is the inevitable boat parade. I'd be more surprised than I think I've ever been if Montreal came back and won this thing.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think Monday will be a much more entertaining back and forth with the inevitable result of the Lightning taking their second consecutive cup

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Delaying a boat parade may work in our favor. Red tide wiped out the fish all the way up to Kennedy bridge and it’d be nasty having all the dead fish floating during a parade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad