The Athletic - Boston 2021 NHL front office rankings: Bruins #8

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
2021 NHL front office rankings: Fans weigh in on every team

Screen-Shot-2021-08-25-at-12.03.20-PM.png

“The kryptonite of this team has been their drafting. They are feeling the effects of the botched 2015 draft and are still scrambling to find the right mix to compete for the cup when they most likely would’ve achieved that goal had they hit on those three first round picks”

“I was super dubious for some time but I was kinda psyched with the trade deadline moves, and then they panned out pretty well and we were able to keep the players past free agency. I also think the drafting has improved compared to a stretch of a few years.”

“Bruins management will forever be defined by the 2015 draft. But, every year I think the team is poised to take a step back and they continue to develop good players out of nothing and keep near the top 1/3rd of the league. I can’t complain about that.”

Six years ago the Bruins had one of the biggest draft blunders in hockey history, striking out thrice with back-to-back-to-back first round picks in one of the strongest draft classes n recent memory. That was six years ago, but fans are still having a hard time letting it go, and it’s hard not to blame them given how much those three misses hurt. They very well could’ve been the difference between having one more Cup and not as the team has come close since, but unable to close the deal.

The public sees that as the Bruins’ front office’s worst trait, but not nearly to the degree the fan base does which still has not forgiven that blunder. The fan base itself is relatively harsh compared to the public, ranking the team 18th overall to the public’s fifth. It’s a matter of the grass not always being greener on the other side, but also the high bar the city has for its sports teams.

One thing both sides can agree on is Boston’s stellar cap management, brought about by having some of the league’s best contracts for its star players.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Kind of stating the obvious no? I think everyone knows the Sweeney Neely duo has been utterly ass at drafting and this last run in the playoffs confirmed that where two guys they could have had in Mat Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier took them to the woodshed. Meanwhile Jake debrusk was a net negative on the ice as Jakub Zboril and Zach Senyshyn weren't on the roster come playoff time either by injuries or by getting put on waivers. Last year's playoff run was a moratorium on Don Sweeney's failure in the 2015 NHL draft

Last edited:
Reactions: KWbruin and Gordoff

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The management group is good. Some mistakes and some hits. Some of the mistakes (2015, Backes) felt obvious at the time and worse as time went on…so I think they get dinged extra for those.

And I think we are a glass half empty fan base on top of it. Sakic or Gorton negotiate with Hall short on cap space and Hall only agrees to go to them at the TDL, we would hail them as Palpatine level manipulators. Sweeney does that? People view Hall only wanting to come here as a demerit to Sweeney getting Hall. It’s laughable.

You can win a Cup with Sweeney/Neely.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I bet like 90% of the league's fanbases think their organization is better than the rest of the league gives them credit for. The last few times they've done this with the Bruins, it's our own fanbase who is more pessimistic than everyone else.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I bet like 90% of the league's fanbases think their organization is better than the rest of the league gives them credit for. The last few times they've done this with the Bruins, it's our own fanbase who is more pessimistic than everyone else.

The Bruins fan base has turned into the Red Sox fan base of old.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I read that this morning and I could not believe it- after all, most of what I read here is that our management group is 30th in the league or so.

I don't think they're the worst, but I think they should have done more with the core they inherited. The issue is that what they've done to augment that core simply hasn't been good or effective. I'd have them more in the middle third overall than the top third or bottom third.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't think they're the worst, but I think they should have done more with the core they inherited. The issue is that what they've done to augment that core simply hasn't been good or effective. I'd have them more in the middle third overall than the top third or bottom third.

No doubt- I didn't rank them that highly either, IIRC in the poll I had them right square in the middle of the pack. Could have done better, could have done worse. Reading this forum at times, though, you'd think the team was in Sabreland.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
No doubt- I didn't rank them that highly either, IIRC in the poll I had them right square in the middle of the pack. Could have done better, could have done worse. Reading this forum at times, though, you'd think the team was in Sabreland.

Absolutely, but that's just fandom in a nutshell. It's partly because the expectations are higher for this team since the area is used to winning and they don't tolerate losing very well these days, and because the prior front office left Sweeney a decent core as a starting point.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Absolutely, but that's just fandom in a nutshell. It's partly because the expectations are higher for this team since the area is used to winning and they don't tolerate losing very well these days, and because the prior front office left Sweeney a decent core as a starting point.

It's one thing to lose when the other team is better, even for just the one game. It is quite another to lose because management has repeatedly screwed up its attempts to improve the team, keeping them just good enough to play in 1-2 rounds of playoff hockey but ultimately condemning them to failure when it comes to having a serious chance at winning it all.

Sweeney was gifted a solid core coming off a Cup Final appearance in 2013. He's been terrible at UFA signings, has drafted poorly (although the latest draft may produce some future NHLers) and his trades (except for Coyle) have been mediocre. The only reason this team reached the 2019 Cup Final was because Washington & TB were taken out in the first round. This gave the Bruins a free shot at the Cup, probably the best chance they've ever had. Oops.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It's one thing to lose when the other team is better, even for just the one game. It is quite another to lose because management has repeatedly screwed up its attempts to improve the team, keeping them just good enough to play in 1-2 rounds of playoff hockey but ultimately condemning them to failure when it comes to having a serious chance at winning it all.

Sweeney was gifted a solid core coming off a Cup Final appearance in 2013. He's been terrible at UFA signings, has drafted poorly (although the latest draft may produce some future NHLers) and his trades (except for Coyle) have been mediocre. The only reason this team reached the 2019 Cup Final was because Washington & TB were taken out in the first round. This gave the Bruins a free shot at the Cup, probably the best chance they've ever had. Oops.

Because he was named GM after the 2015 season, he was actually gifted a team that didn't make the playoffs. A team that was 23rd in scoring and 11th in goals against. Had one 50 point scorer and zero 25 goal scorers.

Reactions: Turk

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
8 is laughably high. 2015 draft alone should exclude those bozos from the top 15

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenian24

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
At the end of the day, cap management matters more than everything else combined.

Even if you're a terrible team, you can bounce back quickly with no good players or prospects in the cap world. But if you're like San Jose with a boatload of long, terrible contracts.... then you're doomed for years and years.

Even Sweeney's haters have to admit, the cap situation for the Bruins is extremely good.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Ultimately, what matters are Cups.

Having said that, in listening to national broadcasts, the consensus surrounding the Bruins seems to be consistent. “The Bruins will be fine. They’ll figure it out. They always do. They’ll be in the mix.”

And at the end of the day, that’s a pretty good place to be. In the mix. Make the playoffs. Win a round, maybe two. If you catch a break, maybe go further.

But we in the market hold the organization to a much higher standard. I think that part of it dates way back to the stigma which long haunted the team in the days before the salary cap: The Bruins are usually good, sometimes really good, but unwilling or unable to take the next step and be elite.

It’s difficult to rank front offices. Are you rating them on a scale? Does a team with a bright future get points for what MIGHT happen?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Masters at contract extensions.

Great deadline additions.

Perennial Cup contender team.

High grades with undrafted FA.

Sweenius says eat that haters.

Great deadline additions? Who? Aside from last year with Hall, what else worked? Maybe Mojo and that's really it, no?

Perennial cup contender? Since when? Because they had an easy path to the finals and lost to STL? Yeah, no. Since Sweeney took over, this is what they've done:

2020-21: Second round exit
2019-20: Second round exit
2018-19: Finals
2017-18: Second round exit
2016-17: First round exit
2015-16: DNQ for playoffs

So what about winning a single round most years makes them a "perennial cup contender"? If you said perennial playoff qualifier, you'd have been spot on, but actual contender? Yeah, not so much.

Poor at scouting at the amateur level
Poor at scouting at the rofessional level
Marginal at developing young players

So you can be happy with the guy all you want, in reality he's a middle of the pack GM at best. He best moves by far are his undrafted free agent signings of college players and resigning his core players to team friendly deals. I'm not suggesting they fire him at this point, but I'm also not saying another person couldn't do a better job either.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Great deadline additions? Who? Aside from last year with Hall, what else worked? Maybe Mojo and that's really it, no?

Perennial cup contender? Since when? Because they had an easy path to the finals and lost to STL? Yeah, no. Since Sweeney took over, this is what they've done:

So what about winning a single round most years makes them a "perennial cup contender"? If you said perennial playoff qualifier, you'd have been spot on, but actual contender? Yeah, not so much.

So you can be happy with the guy all you want, in reality he's a middle of the pack GM at best. He best moves by far are his undrafted free agent signings of college players and resigning his core players to team friendly deals. I'm not suggesting they fire him at this point, but I'm also not saying another person couldn't do a better job either.

New York Islanders

1975-76: second round exit

1976-77: second round exit

1977-78: first round exit

1978-79 second round exit

Perennial Cup contenders? Yep

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
New York Islanders

1975-76: second round exit

1976-77: second round exit

1977-78: first round exit

1978-79 second round exit

Perennial Cup contenders? Yep

Nah.

They became a perennial cup winner, but given their 5 year track record prior to becoming a dynasty, I don't think they were a real contender given the depth of the league. Also, they finished 1st twice, 2nd twice, and third once. The Bruins in the stretch you want to compare? Three third place finishes, 2 seconds, and 1 first place.

And besides, that's a lifetime ago. Got any more recent examples?

But regardless of that, where do you have them finishing next season? Who are the cup favorites apparently aside from Boston, that is??

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Nah.

They became a perennial cup winner, but given their 5 year track record prior to becoming a dynasty, I don't think they were a real contender given the depth of the league. Also, they finished 1st twice, 2nd twice, and third once. The Bruins in the stretch you want to compare? Three third place finishes, 2 seconds, and 1 first place.

And besides, that's a lifetime ago. Got any more recent examples?

But regardless of that, where do you have them finishing next season? Who are the cup favorites apparently aside from Boston, that is??

I have no crystal ball. But I'd say right now Colorado, Vegas, Toronto, Tampa and the Rangers could be considered contenders. How's that?

I see the past a lot better and those Islanders teams were definitely consider contenders.

You know, I'm pro management so as long as they make the playoffs and get a few home gates I'll be happy.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Good moves (7)
-The return for Lucic
-Drafting D (Carlo, Lauzon, McAvoy, Lindgren)
-Re-signing players to team-friendly contracts (outside of Coyle)
-Drafting Swayman
-2019 Trade Deadline (Coyle and Johansson)
-Signing Craig Smith
-2021 Trade Deadline (Hall, Reilly, Lazar)

Bad moves (14)
-3 bad picks in the top 15 of a generational 1st Round
-Reportedly (per Friedman and Mirtle) turned down "much higher" 1st rounders than 15th overall for Hamilton
-Overpaid McQuaid when there was a young/cheaper version of him on the roster (Kevan Miller)
-Signing Matt Beleskey
-Traded Reilly Smith for Jimmy Hayes, who was bought out
-Wasted a 3rd rounder on Zac Rinaldo
-Not trading Loui Eriksson at the 2016 deadline
-Wasted draft picks to acquire Stempniak and Liles so they could sneak into the playoffs just to get swept or lose in 5, and yet they didn't even make the playoffs
-Wasted a 1st round pick on Trent Frederic, a 4th line grinder who has "jam"
-Signing David Backes
-Signing John Moore
-Having no 2020 1st rounder to improve the 2019-2020 team because of the Backes contract
-Took him 6 years to complete the 2nd line
-Horrid drafting at forward (The "best" forward he has drafted has been Jake DeBrusk)

The bad seems to outweigh the good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad