GDT: 2021 NHL Draft Thread - Part II

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I don't trust Dallas when they do these crazy galaxy brain reaches, it just hasn't worked out for them and I don't believe they are really any smarter than consensus or know anything the scouting community as a whole doesn't. They were just comfortable with Wyatt's unknowns while others weren't to the same extent. I watched the u18s, so I've seen every game he played this year and I liked him. But, it just feels like we picked a mystery box that lacks top line upside. Having said that, I'm still stoked Dallas traded down. After the top 9 skaters were off the board, it just got a lot more wide open. Multiple picks are awesome to have in that kind of a situation. Hoping today goes something like the 2015 draft.

Reactions: Nikki Potnick

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
I don't trust Dallas when they do these crazy galaxy brain reaches, it just hasn't worked out for them and I don't believe they are really any smarter than consensus or know anything the scouting community as a whole doesn't. They were just comfortable with Wyatt's unknowns while others weren't to the same extent. I watched the u18s, so I've seen every game he played this year and I liked him. But, it just feels like we picked a mystery box that lacks top line upside. Having said that, I'm still stoked Dallas traded down. After the top 9 skaters were off the board, it just got a lot more wide open. Multiple picks are awesome to have in that kind of a situation. Hoping today goes something like the 2015 draft.
Yeah I dont dislike the player at all, just wish we didnt seem to reach so often. In general I'd like to see them draft more for high end offensive potential with some speed, especially on the wings.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Expecting the stars to swing for the fences a little today . I think they know they never seem to have confidence in those first round offensive guys so they try to play it safe with well rounded players but with two picks in each of these next two rounds I’d expect them to be talent shopping .

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
in all seriousness I feel like the scouting staff and gm are probably slightly below average. I feel like if the Stars hadnt made that improbably run during the covid playoffs serious changes would have been strongly considered. We are now in this weird place were the team isnt that great and the cupboard isnt that exciting. We are tied to a few long term high dollar contracts that dont look particularly good at this point as well.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I mean, if you look back on the "reaches" are they that bad?

Taking Dellandrea over the "obvious" pick Veleno..I'd much rather have Dellandrea today.

Reactions: Bfantz

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

I'd share the direct link to the Google sheet, which is much easier to read, but the forums keep auto displaying the sheet and I can't just post the link.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Would it be safe to say the biggest hope is that stankoven falls to 47?

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
they have hubris, but you don't? they have access to an almost unquantifiable greater amount of data that you never saw or will likely ever see. the opportunity to talk to coaches and players familiar with the player is the smallest example. the insight to know what he was capable of vs what role he was asked to fill. how well he adapted to various systems. opposing coach's perspectives. the list goes on. you really think they only watched the broadcast feed of those 7 games and decided to draft him? a whole staff working as their full time job to evaluate and compare talent. idk what you do for a living, but if you have any clue of the power of networking alone, you might consider just how much more the scouts/org can find out about a player that a fan never could.
does it mean they made the right choice? only time will tell. but good lord to accuse them of hubris when all we get as fans is a handful of youtube highlights and the twitter feeds of reporters... well, i can't exactly call that evaluation sane.
You can have all the information in the world, but if you can't analyze/interpret it, then it's useless.
Stars have all the resources available, and yet anyone on this board, with access to McKenzie's list and Youtube, could have drafted better in the 1st round than Nill. To me, that's troubling.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I get why people are upset about what seems to be a reach in the 1st round because we’ve been burned by those reaches in the past. However, if there is a draft where I’m more accepting of a reach, it’s this one.

I am hoping their plan was to take a safer player in the first so that they could swing for the fences with these 2 2nds and 2 3rds.

Reactions: Bfantz

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
You can have all the information in the world, but if you can't analyze/interpret it, then it's useless.
Stars have all the resources available, and yet anyone on this board, with access to McKenzie's list and Youtube, could have drafted better in the 1st round than Nill. To me, that's troubling.

I think you misinterpret where these “lists” come from. They’re an aggregate of scouting lists compiled to show average draft position of players.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
The argument is ironic, because my argument was that in fact, they don't have data. No one, short of someone who can hop to an alternate universe where COVID 19 didn't exist, and Wyatt Johnston played a full OHL D-1 season has information. He could be a good kid, a hard worker, they could have hid in the bushes outside his house with binoculars as he was lifting weights in his garage and taken notes, but he played 7 games of hockey in the 2nd best junior tournament in the world. We aren't drafting gym rats, or good interviews, we're drafting people who are good at hockey. Those other things are the base requirement to become a hockey player, like having your high school diploma to work at best buy. Like Abilify mentioned, this type of galaxy brain shit is why we are below average drafters in the first round. I was really hoping that the 2017 year was something to build off of, or that the Mavrick Borque pick was a signifier of a change in philosophy. Nope, back to doing crazy things for no reason. That being said, at least Nill gets full marks for getting such a haul for that 15th pick. We have a chance to make up for it today, but the point is we shouldn't have to.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Nah, the reason Bob's list tends to be so accurate is because he aggregates (NHL?) scout lists that are given to him. It's why it's the golden standard. I don't think Mckenzie does any scouting of his own.

bruh literally what I said a few posts above

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He doesn't compile everyone's lists..

He seeks out 10 PROFESSIONAL NHL SCOUTS and puts those 10 lists together.

As I quote:

"It’s unanimous - 10 out of 10 NHL scouts surveyed by TSN have the 6-foot-5 1/2 University of Michigan freshman defenceman at No. 1"

Reactions: Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I can't believe we keep doing that posters homework for them. Just let them be lazy and unaware

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine
Nah, the reason Bob's list tends to be so accurate is because he aggregates (NHL?) scout lists that are given to him. It's why it's the golden standard. I don't think Mckenzie does any scouting of his own.
Got it, thanks for enlightening me.

Hell no, Bobby Margs doesn’t have that kind of time on his hands. He just compiles everyone’s list into 1 to create a “consensus”
Thanks.

My point still stands. It's shocking that even the most casual fan could do a better job drafting in the 1st round than the Stars.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
He doesn't compile everyone's lists..

He seeks out 10 PROFESSIONAL NHL SCOUTS and puts those 10 lists together.

As I quote:

"It’s unanimous - 10 out of 10 NHL scouts surveyed by TSN have the 6-foot-5 1/2 University of Michigan freshman defenceman at No. 1"

He does 10 different scouts for each ranking throughout the year though. That’s basically a consensus of all the teams scouts over the course of a season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad