2021 NHL Draft Thread (All draft, lottery, and prospect talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think it is a stretch for them to finish any better than 25th but they do have a tendency to shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to draft positioning.

Yeah, I had to leave room that they go 8-1 in the final nine games and provide Jarmo/fans some optimism heading into next season a la every other non-playoff year.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I have no idea on anyone this year. Would love to see us draft either 1D and 2C or vice versa with the three picks. I’m not sure we have a potential top 6 C or top 4 D in the pipeline. I would normally say just go BPA but I feel like Marchenko and Chinakhov are developing quite nicely, and Voronkov seems to be able to play anywhere in the lineup.

Are there any good youtube channels for 2021 prospects a la bigwhite06 or draftdynasty of previous years? Or are we just shot on actual recent video?

Embrace the tank. The payoff could be huge, it’s a short season and we are already going to be playing into early May!

Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have no idea on anyone this year. Would love to see us draft either 1D and 2C or vice versa with the three picks. I’m not sure we have a potential top 6 C or top 4 D in the pipeline. I would normally say just go BPA but I feel like Marchenko and Chinakhov are developing quite nicely, and Voronkov seems to be able to play anywhere in the lineup.

The only center is Beniers. No really, that's it. He figures as a strong two way 2C with a smaller chance of 1C. Because he's the only one, and he's such a safe pick, there's a good chance he'll be gone before the Jackets pick.

You have to go on what the draft gives you and this draft has four very intriguing D, all of whom have a good shot at becoming top pair guys: Power, Edvinsson, Clarke, and Hughes. The Jackets will most likely be selecting in that 5th-8th range, and there is a good chance that they'll still be able to snag one of those D then.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
^^^^^^ Just to be difficult if there are 4 guys who have top D pairing potential and Dylan Guenther who is a top rated W I could see all 5 going before Berniers. Add in fact Jackets are currently drafting 6th with a reasonable chance of moving up in the lottery and I think the odds of him being available to the Jackets are good. I'd be happy with any of the D but I really think the Jackets need Berniers.

Reactions: CBJx614

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
^^^^^^ Just to be difficult if there are 4 guys who have top D pairing potential and Dylan Guenther who is a top rated W I could see all 5 going before Berniers. Add in fact Jackets are currently drafting 6th with a reasonable chance of moving up in the lottery and I think the odds of him being available to the Jackets are good. I'd be happy with any of the D but I really think the Jackets need Berniers.

Or... what would the Jackets need to add to their lottery pick to get to a place where Beniers is available? (I know, we don't know who's were in the lotto yet, just saying maybe a trade could be made.)

And, to be clear, I might consider such a move even acknowledging that Beniers almost certainly isn't a solution at center for the 21-22 season. Or maybe the 22-23 season. And I'm OK awith that.

Reactions: 6zag and EspenK

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Or... what would the Jackets need to add to their lottery pick to get to a place where Beniers is available? (I know, we don't know who's were in the lotto yet, just saying maybe a trade could be made.)

And, to be clear, I might consider such a move even acknowledging that Beniers almost certainly isn't a solution at center for the 21-22 season. Or maybe the 22-23 season. And I'm OK awith that.

There are more likely to be teams willing to trade down this year, I'm just doubting whether it's worth it to trade up.

LokiCalder

Apr 20, 2021
The only center is Beniers. No really, that's it. He figures as a strong two way 2C with a smaller chance of 1C. Because he's the only one, and he's such a safe pick, there's a good chance he'll be gone before the Jackets pick.

You have to go on what the draft gives you and this draft has four very intriguing D, all of whom have a good shot at becoming top pair guys: Power, Edvinsson, Clarke, and Hughes. The Jackets will most likely be selecting in that 5th-8th range, and there is a good chance that they'll still be able to snag one of those D then.

I don't see Jackets picking lower than 6th. Theres not a winnable game left on the schedule with the way the team is playing and with so many teams in the league missing games because of covid, the league is going to end up using points percentage for the lottery.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't see Jackets picking lower than 6th. Theres not a winnable game left on the schedule with the way the team is playing and with so many teams in the league missing games because of covid, the league is going to end up using points percentage for the lottery.

With the lottery though we could easily be leap frogged by a couple teams. Our current most likely draft position is seventh:

2021 NHL Draft Lottery Odds | Tankathon

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Ottawa has won three in a row and the Jackets have moved ahead of them in the draft lottery. There are now only three teams plus Seattle ahead of Columbus.

So far this tankjob has been an immaculate success.

It seems like it could be Tortorella's last gift to this team. He knows which line-ups to play in order to lose. He wouldn't have touched them when he was actually still trying to win.

Kekäläinen scalping the team's leadership obviously helped too. As well as the timely injuries of Jenner and Werenski.

Reactions: Jan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It seems like it could be Tortorella's last gift to this team. He knows which line-ups to play in order to lose. He wouldn't have touched them when he was actually still trying to win.

Kekäläinen scalping the team's leadership obviously helped too. As well as the timely injuries of Jenner and Werenski.
woo f***ing hoo we get to tank in the year of Maybe Adequate NHL Players so our suffering is not only prolonged but it's for f***-all payoff boy I'm so excited for this new era

Reactions: LoneFunyan

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
woo f***ing hoo we get to tank in the year of Maybe Adequate NHL Players so our suffering is not only prolonged but it's for f***-all payoff boy I'm so excited for this new era

You never know what is going to happen with drafts. Right now the 2016 draft isn’t looking so hot. It used to look like a pretty good class outside a couple of busts, but I’d say it is trending down.

Fun fact for the 2016 draft class — Puljujarvi is 16th in points from that class. Laine is 2nd and PLD is 6th. Right now I’d say the top 4 players are Matthews, Fox, McAvoy, and Tkachuk. And then you can start arguing about a bunch of guys who have had ups and downs. Sergachev, DeBrincat, Laine, PLD, Keller, Hart, Chychrun. (Peeke is tied for 46th in points.)

Reactions: LJ7201

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Light always comes after dark. Only you must believe. :)

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017

It's better than nothing.

The situation is obviously not ideal, if the tank had occurred during a strong draft it would have been brilliant.

I would argue that Columbus has made the best of a bad hand they were dealt. The group they had was clearly not a contender, so they sold assets that were basically going anyway, and acquired some future prospects.

Nothing is guaranteed in this game, but they've given themselves a better chance of opening the window again, atleast.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's better than nothing.

The situation is obviously not ideal, if the tank had occurred during a strong draft it would have been brilliant.

I would argue that Columbus has made the best of a bad hand they were dealt. The group they had was clearly not a contender, so they sold assets that were basically going anyway, and acquired some future prospects.

Nothing is guaranteed in this game, but they've given themselves a better chance of opening the window again, atleast.
I'll believe that if and only if we get the chance to shake this "everybody always leaves Columbus" narrative. Otherwise, for all practical purposes there's no chance.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I'll believe that if and only if we get the chance to shake this "everybody always leaves Columbus" narrative. Otherwise, for all practical purposes there's no chance.

Realistic opinion, and generally an opinion that I would label as an optimistic one. Jarmo needs to sign Jones and Werenski & we need a #1 center that can create offense for himself and give teeth to the PP. Probably should have traded for Bennett early in the season when he was first dangled.

Reactions: MoeBartoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad