2021 NHL Draft: Russian Prospects

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Very enjoyable list to read!

I am a guy who is very high on Poltapov. Love his combination of elite hustle and work ethic, hands, shooting ability, and creativity. Reminds me a lot of a more skilled/creative Blake Coleman. Definitely a guy I hope the Devils take with their Islander's 1st rounder and a guy I am excited to see develop over the next couple of years.

For me it is very hard to understand what his work ethics actually are, as I usually judge it by different aspects of how the player looks without the puck and, as I mentioned, Poltapov doesn't look too good without the puck. It might be not the issue with the work ethic, rather with understanding of the game or not being properly coached to do that, but it sure makes it harder to evaluate that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Poltapov is overrated because he's very flashy, people love players like this. But when you compare him to someone like Michkov or Chibrikov or Yurov or even Miroshnichenko, you start to understand, that flshiness means nothing without effectiveness. Michkov, Yurov and Miroshnichenko are even flashier than Poltapov but they actually score goals and points in any situations, vs tough opponents. And they are younger than him.

Reactions: jvr32

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Poltapov is overrated because he's very flashy, people love players like this. But when you compare him to someone like Michkov or Chibrikov or Yurov or even Miroshnichenko, you start to understand, that flshiness means nothing without effectiveness. Michkov, Yurov and Miroshnichenko are even flashier than Poltapov but they actually score goals and points in any situations, vs tough opponents. And they are younger than him.

Flashiness Vs. Effectiveness is basically the same discussion as the Upside Vs. Probability of reaching it. When people see Poltapov doing these flashy high-speed moves and other stuff they react to that, as it means there is upside and I think there really is. But yeah, I also see the risk of not reaching it, that's why I ranked him lower than most of other rankings, even though I actually like the upside too.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Matvei Averochkin at eliteprospects.com

Any thoughts on this player? Black Book had an interesting write-up on him.

He's got the height, but I think not strength, even Zugan played more physically in my eyes. Was the 3rd line center mostly at times when I saw him and I can't say I remembered him doing anythiing special. Maybe they saw better games of him if they decided to rank him somewhere.

Actually there's one thing I remember him well for, as when I looked at the MHL stats after the season his faceoff percentage was one of the worst I've seen for a pure center ever in that league.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
As much as I like Kisakov, Chibrikov I think totally should be higher, as so far he is doing what you want your offensive forward to do - delivering the result in any environment. And again, it is not like he is a physical beast or something that would allow him to do that with ease. It allows to suggest that his adaptation to the highest levels of hockey won't be a painful one and that is a big thing, as that is where a lot of talented kids fail. Returning to Kisakov, it is really easy to fall in love with his shot, but as much as I like him I always have in mind that he played only in the MHL so far with the corresponding question marks.

As for Svechkov, I kind of described my concerns in the OP, but still as you see in the post above I think he is a legit first-round candidate, so it's not like I'm too low on him.

Figurin looks to me so unremarkable both in a good and bad ways that I don't even know what to think about him, for me it is exactly the case of "maybe, but not convinced" that I mentioned in the write-up.

outside of Chayka.... any others planning to play in the CHL for next season?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Has there confirmation/interview that Svechkov or Chibrikov plan to join NHL after their current KHL contracts end?

It's kind of a strange question to be honest. I mean, why should they give such confirmation, so they KHL teams could say like "Ok, you're leaving soon, so we won't be counting on you too much and won't give you opportunities"? Not to mention the teammates who might accuse them of not caring of the team's result due to that after bad games. So the best you'll hear is the standard "Playing in the NHL is my dream, but now I'm a KHL team's player" and not like it is something wrong at all.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It's kind of a strange question to be honest. I mean, why should they give such confirmation, so they KHL teams could say like "Ok, you're leaving soon, so we won't be counting on you too much and won't give you opportunities"? Not to mention the teammates who might accuse them of not caring of the team's result due to that after bad games. So the best you'll hear is the standard "Playing in the NHL is my dream, but now I'm a KHL team's player" and not like it is something wrong at all.

Yes ... its a dual problem though

How about the nhl team that wants to draft them? They are taking a risk wasting a 1st etc.

Btw why wouldnt these prospects give it their all? If they are not good at the KHL, the nhl team wont be enticed to sign them to a contract

Again its a dual problem for all parties involved.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Yes ... its a dual problem though

How about the nhl team that wants to draft them? They are taking a risk wasting a 1st etc.

Btw why wouldnt these prospects give it their all? If the are not good at the KHL, the nhl team wont be enticed to sign them to a contract

Again its a dual problem for all parties involved.

About not giving it all, I meant the accusations after bad games, not actually not giving it all. You know, the locker room atmosphere after losses can be tough.

As for the risk, obviously teams do interview them and ask about their plans, but that kind of info is not something that will be made public. Not to mention that the definition of "risk" can vary: some teams are ready to wait no longer than a year or two, some are fine with four.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that Russian players, especially home grown ones, are undervalued at the draft because of this very situation. Many can make similar $$ in the KHL (once you factor in taxes, side bennies, etc.)than playing in NA on a two way ELC, which is a time period in which NHL clubs can get some value out of them, justifying a bigger payday down the road because of their service to club at an earlier date.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I understand that there are certain fanbases that are pre-conditioned to worry about the contract status of Russian forwards due to issues in the past with that, but I don’t know why one would be more concerned with that than the player best developing their game. All the good ones end up playing in the NHL. The few that there were some issues with probably weren’t that good to begin with. If you try to rush them to NA because you are scared of a mostly nonexistent problem, they almost always end up busting.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Great list Caser!

Where would Yurov rank if he was eligible this year? Sans Michkov, he was the most impressive Russian at the U18 imo.

Reactions: Caser

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
i'm high on Polpapov now, but is there anything that i should be concerned about with his game? Is he willing to be a forechecker and is he willing to be more aggressive on the boards despite being under 6'?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think that Russian players, especially home grown ones, are undervalued at the draft because of this very situation. Many can make similar $$ in the KHL (once you factor in taxes, side bennies, etc.)than playing in NA on a two way ELC, which is a time period in which NHL clubs can get some value out of them, justifying a bigger payday down the road because of their service to club at an earlier date.

Yep, that's how Kaprizov has done it. :sarcasm:

Great list Caser!

Where would Yurov rank if he was eligible this year? Sans Michkov, he was the most impressive Russian at the U18 imo.

Very likely that he would be #1.

i'm high on Polpapov now, but is there anything that i should be concerned about with his game? Is he willing to be a forechecker and is he willing to be more aggressive on the boards despite being under 6'?

I think I already wrote both in the OP and comments that in general I don't like his game without the puck, which is kind of a yellow flag to me. But it is very good that you brought up the forechecking and aggression, as I actually think that it is an exception here and he has got those components.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I think I already wrote both in the OP and comments that in general I don't like his game without the puck, which is kind of a yellow flag to me. But it is very good that you brought up the forechecking and aggression, as I actually think that it is an exception here and he has got those components.
I think that can be improved. Kid can be all over the place and that energy is something I actually like. If he can learn how to be better without the puck, he could potentially be a better player.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021

I am high on Poltapov as well. I am thinking he could be a possible skilled power forward in future for example to Colorado if they lose Landeskog. He has lot of tools but his mentality is kinda typical Russian one. Super interested when puck is in his stick or when puck is close to him but without it, he is kinda meh. If he can get his head in to right place, there can be a really nice player. I personally have him in the end of the first round. Maybe early on the second round?

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I am high on Poltapov as well. I am thinking he could be a possible skilled power forward in future for example to Colorado if they lose Landeskog. He has lot of tools but his mentality is kinda typical Russian one. Super interested when puck is in his stick or when puck is close to him but without it, he is kinda meh. If he can get his head in to right place, there can be a really nice player. I personally have him in the end of the first round. Maybe early on the second round?
That's probably the only concern: off the puck.

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
That's probably the only concern: off the puck.

To be fair, this concerns lot of young guys anyway, so I am not sure if this is really valid or big criticism. Poltapov's case is gonna be more about how good his strengths are compared to others. For example, Othmann is similar kind of power forward type with maybe more hitting & goal scoring upside.

Reactions: ShiroganeKvasha30

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
To be fair, this concerns lot of young guys anyway, so I am not sure if this is really valid or big criticism. Poltapov's case is gonna be more about how good his strengths are compared to others. For example, Othmann is similar kind of power forward type with maybe more hitting & goal scoring upside.

Well, I'd say this component looks worse to me at least comparing to the other young guys on this list.

As for calling him a power forward, I might be old-fashioned, but I thought a power forward should be bigger and actually should have some more power.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Well, I'd say this component looks worse to me at least comparing to the other young guys on this list.

As for calling him a power forward, I might be old-fashioned, but I thought a power forward should be bigger and actually should have some more power.
I do agree on this. He could play the role of Agitator instead, since he's smaller and could slip away. I see that in his game more than being a power forward like a Josh Anderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad