Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Clarke and Smith on two separate pairs would be a neutral zone nightmare for a lot of teams.

So much deception on the breakout. This young generation of D is so good at making forwards overcommit.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
From what I understand, Hughes will be a great player, but he just isn’t as NHL ready as Clarke or Power and is likely 2-3 years away, where Clarke and Power and likely ready or 1 year away.
Hughes is one of the youngest prospects in this draft. I think he is something like 7 days away from being 2022 draft eligible.
I think this goes unnoticed sometimes and should increase his value somewhat.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
From what I understand, Hughes will be a great player, but he just isn’t as NHL ready as Clarke or Power and is likely 2-3 years away, where Clarke and Power and likely ready or 1 year away.
I have no issues at all taking Hughes even if he’s 2 years out.
He is one of , if not the youngest prospect in the draft. The Devils are based around having a very fast and well skating team. Hughes is one of the best skaters amongst D men. We are not competing until 2 years from now anyways when Holtz and Mercer and hopefully one of our other D propests will all be ready to go.
Im fine with waiting for Hughes. The next draft has generational talent in it. I would be ok with improving next year and be a bubble playoff team yet have a lotto chance while Hughes Holtz and Mercer marinate.

Reactions: Devs3cups

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the input! Besides Jack vs Kakko and Nico vs. Nolan Patrick, I've just started following the prospects a bit more the last two seasons so it's good to have a frame of reference.

Hughes vs. Kakko was interesting, because I never thought it was even a debate worthy topic. My mantra became that, basically, it was closer between Kakko and Byram for #3 than it was between Hughes and Kakko at #1. Two years later, in a 2019 re-draft the top two would actually be Hughes/Zegras and it turned out everyone was wrong.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Its really not that awkward. I think people are over exaggerating that and he certainly gets around fine. Has elite edge work too.

Clarke's ability to elude an opposing forechecker in tight quarters is as good as I've seen in a decade, bar none. Though he can't blow by the opposition with one step to the outside like a Makar or Quinn Hughes, Clarke's stick handling is literally as good as I've ever seen from a draft-eligible D, and combined with the edges you mentioned, it often looks like he's playing Keepaway with small children.

In the offensive zone, Clarke lacks a Maker-or-Hughes-like ability to skate laterally faster than the player defending him is skating forwards to create passing and shooting lanes. But he has an ability to draw the defenseman in with a dangle and then use his edges to spin, shielding the puck with his body, which is phenomenal.

There are a ton of reasons why I have Brandt Clarke ranked as high as anyone in the business, at #2 overall. But a lot of his game is completely unique in a way that it "looks weird" and he's not as fluid as most bluechip offensive D, which I think drops him in the rankings of some evaluators who don't know how to reference something they've never exactly seen before.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Hughes vs. Kakko was interesting, because I never thought it was even a debate worthy topic. My mantra became that, basically, it was closer between Kakko and Byram for #3 than it was between Hughes and Kakko at #1. Two years later, in a 2019 re-draft the top two would actually be Hughes/Zegras and it turned out everyone was wrong.
Fwiw I always thought Zegras should have gone top 5. I viewed him to a lesser extent as the Malkin to Sid. Now granted I am not saying either of those guys are going to be as good as Sid or Malkin but anytime you watched the US team it was Hughes and CC lighting it up then when they went off Zegras came on and dominated were there wasn't any sort of massive drop off.

The funny thing with Kakko is that he appeared very NHL ready then when he got to the league it seemed he lost all his IQ and most of his talent. He was touted as having a speed and power blend that made him un fail able as a prospect and some even said the next Peter Forsberg. I do think Kakko will end up being a very good hockey player but the unrealistic expectations from playing with men in arguably the worse men's league in the world and being drafted into NY set him up for failure.

In a re draft we probably see.

1. Hughes
  2. Zegras
  3. Kakko
  4. Byram
  5. Dach
  6. Knight
  7. Cozens
  8. Caufield
Now granted it is still WAY to early to say but I feel all of these players will end up very very good.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Clarke's ability to elude an opposing forechecker in tight quarters is as good as I've seen in a decade, bar none. Though he can't blow by the opposition with one step to the outside like a Makar or Quinn Hughes, Clarke's stick handling is literally as good as I've ever seen from a draft-eligible D, and combined with the edges you mentioned, it often looks like he's playing Keepaway with small children.

In the offensive zone, Clarke lacks a Maker-or-Hughes-like ability to skate laterally faster than the player defending him is skating forwards to create passing and shooting lanes. But he has an ability to draw the defenseman in with a dangle and then use his edges to spin, shielding the puck with his body, which is phenomenal.

There are a ton of reasons why I have Brandt Clarke ranked as high as anyone in the business, at #2 overall. But a lot of his game is completely unique in a way that it "looks weird" and he's not as fluid as most bluechip offensive D, which I think drops him in the rankings of some evaluators who don't know how to reference something they've never exactly seen before.
Clarke as a TON of shimmy for a "shitty" skater. Funny how that works huh lol.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Fwiw I always thought Zegras should have gone top 5. I viewed him to a lesser extent as the Malkin to Sid. Now granted I am not saying either of those guys are going to be as good as Sid or Malkin but anytime you watched the US team it was Hughes and CC lighting it up then when they went off Zegras came on and dominated were there wasn't any sort of massive drop off.

The funny thing with Kakko is that he appeared very NHL ready then when he got to the league it seemed he lost all his IQ and most of his talent. He was touted as having a speed and power blend that made him un fail able as a prospect and some even said the next Peter Forsberg. I do think Kakko will end up being a very good hockey player but the unrealistic expectations from playing with men in arguably the worse men's league in the world and being drafted into NY set him up for failure.

In a re draft we probably see.

1. Hughes
  2. Zegras
  3. Kakko
  4. Byram
  5. Dach
  6. Knight
  7. Cozens
  8. Caufield
Now granted it is still WAY to early to say but I feel all of these players will end up very very good.

You're completely forgetting Turcotte, who was the third best player on that US-NTDP, not Zegras. But Zegras was also incredible. Going back on my 2019 top 5, it was:

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Turcotte
5 Zegras

I had Caufield at #10 and Seider at #11. If I had to re-rank the top of that draft now, I'd say:

1 Hughes
2 Zegras
3 Byram
4 Caufield
5 Kakko
6 Cozens
7 Seider
8 Dach
9 Boldy
10 Turcotte

These are all outstanding players -- I'm not insulting a player like Turcotte here, who I expect will be the Kings' answer as a dynamic two-way 2C behind Byfield for many, many years. It was just a very strong draft class.

Looking back at how the 2019 top 10 went, the one "bad pick" was Philip Broberg to Edmonton at #8 -- which is precisely why I caution against taking the "wow he's so big and fast" player over the "wow he's so good at hockey" player. I had Broberg at #48 overall, and recall taking some heat for that. Two years later, Broberg would probably be taken somewhere in the mid-20s to early second round in a 2019 re-draft. The #3 defenseman in that draft would actually be a battle between smaller players who are not high-end speedsters like Heinola and York.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
You're completely forgetting Turcotte, who was the third best player on that US-NTDP, not Zegras. But Zegras was also incredible. Going back on my 2019 top 5, it was:

1 Hughes
2 Kakko
3 Byram
4 Turcotte
5 Zegras

I had Caufield at #10 and Seider at #11. If I had to re-rank the top of that draft now, I'd say:

1 Hughes
2 Zegras
3 Byram
4 Caufield
5 Kakko
6 Cozens
7 Seider
8 Dach
9 Boldy
10 Turcotte

These are all outstanding players -- I'm not insulting a player like Turcotte here, who I expect will be the Kings' answer as a dynamic two-way 2C behind Byfield for many, many years. It was just a very strong draft class.

Looking back at how the 2019 top 10 went, the one "bad pick" was Philip Broberg to Edmonton at #8 -- which is precisely why I caution against taking the "wow he's so big and fast" player over the "wow he's so good at hockey" player. I had Broberg at #48 overall, and recall taking some heat for that. Two years later, Broberg would probably be taken somewhere in the mid-20s to early second round in a 2019 re-draft. The #3 defenseman in that draft would actually be a battle between smaller players who are not high-end speedsters like Heinola and York.

You are right I forgot about Turcotte but I still think Zegras being as dynamic as he was would put him over Turcotte for me. Boldy was another guy that I wanted to put on the list but I really had no clue were to put any of those guys outside of the ones I listed. Knight I think will be a damn fine goalie and I would be shocked if Cozens doesn't turn out to be at least a high end 2c, kid is just so damn good. CC is going to score a lot of goalies in this league, even if he doesn't turn into a great all around offensive player he just buries the puck.

I have 0 clue how Broberg went ahead of York. York was an animal every single time he was on the ice and Broberg was big?

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Its really not that awkward. I think people are over exaggerating that and he certainly gets around fine. Has elite edge work too.

Don't take it to mean he will bust out but there are legitimate concerns with these guys that should keep us patient and let draft fall to us not trade up and give up picks or assets thinking these guys are the next Hedman and so on....

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I just hope that whatever D we get (if we get one of the three) is good enough defensively to be able to play huge minutes and can play PP / PK - 20+ minutes a night. Yes having elite offence from the back end if nifty and all , but I’d prefer to have a D that can also be used in a 1 goal game in the final minute protecting a lead

Reactions: MakoSlade

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You are right I forgot about Turcotte but I still think Zegras being as dynamic as he was would put him over Turcotte for me. Boldy was another guy that I wanted to put on the list but I really had no clue were to put any of those guys outside of the ones I listed. Knight I think will be a damn fine goalie and I would be shocked if Cozens doesn't turn out to be at least a high end 2c, kid is just so damn good. CC is going to score a lot of goalies in this league, even if he doesn't turn into a great all around offensive player he just buries the puck.

I have 0 clue how Broberg went ahead of York. York was an animal every single time he was on the ice and Broberg was big?

Broberg was one of the biggest and fastest D in the 2019 draft, and he certainly had the best combination of the two -- though Byram plays faster and Seider plays bigger. But Broberg had several questions with his decision-making which were not asked nearly enough, possibly because of things I keep saying about how "hockey IQ" -- elusive as it is to quantify -- is often replaced with pre-conceived notions which are based entirely on bulls--t I can't even begin to fathom.

The 2018 draft had a defenseman I loved and ranked #10 overall (his highest rating) in K'Andre Miller -- who combined an elite size/skating combo with high-end smarts and compete level. Miller had only been switched back from F to D by the US Development system two years prior, and had a few issues with gap control and positioning. Yet, many draft analysts were still asking questions to the degree of "can he ever grasp the nuances of playing defense?" and ranking him as low as the early second round.

One year later, you had Broberg who played defense his entire life and had the same strengths and weaknesses as Miller, but did not pass as precisely or display the same level of decision-making. But Broberg was Swedish -- which is often seen as a big plus point in the hockey IQ column, as opposed to Miller, who faced an entirely different set of criteria in that respect which I don't even have the patience to get into. Broberg routinely had top 10 rankings, and the general consensus was "when he figures it out he will be a superstar defenseman" as opposed to the prevailing attitude with Miller of "can he figure it out?"

Skip to the 2020 draft. The Devils were routinely slammed in the media for the #20 overall pick of LD Shakir Mukhamadullin -- a huge, high-upside player who looked out of his league in the KHL at times and certainly struggled with the nuances of the position despite amazing passing and shooting capabilities. Again, Russians are not seen by several people as being high IQ/high effort hockey players -- something which has been subtly or overtly questioned by North American hockey TV analysts from Mike Milbury to Don Cherry to Pierre McGuire.

Cut to the 2021 WJC tournament. K'Andre Miller has already established himself as a terrific young defenseman at the NHL level -- he just enjoyed a great rookie season for the Rangers. Shakir Mukhamadullin was the best defenseman for a strong Team Russia, probably one of the top 5 D in the WJC tournament. Broberg was a devastating disappointment for a Team Sweden which did not medal largely due to a blueline which was completely caved in by high-level opposing forwards. Team Finland's late goal which knocked Sweden out of the medal round was at least partially resulting from an inexplicable series of misplays by Broberg.

Now, my point is not that Broberg is a "bad player". I think he'll likely be a pretty good bottom-4 defenseman for Edmonton -- he covers a lot of ice and if you misplay him on the transition, he's gone in a step. My point is also not that Miller and Mukhamadullin will win multiple Norris Trophies -- right now I'd say Miller will at the very least be a long-time, two-way mid-pairing player, while Mukhamadullin still has a ton of development before he sees the NHL. My point is that you had three players with similar skill sets and questions regarding the elusive "hockey IQ" and, instead of doing more research, many prospect evaluators -- even high-profile ones -- resorted to relying on stereotypes which are so inaccurate as to border on the bizarre.

The stereotypes of defensemen often begin and end with size. If Cam York were 6'3-205 instead of 5'11-170 on his draft day and everything else were exactly the same, we can bet he would have been a top 10 pick. The same could be said of Ville Heinola. This year, we have Sean Behrens and Aleksi Heimosalmi, either of whom would doubtlessly be fighting for the top 15 if they were even 6'1-185.

Now, certainly size is beneficial to a defenseman. Part of the reason why a team wants a 6'6' Owen Power is because, with his excellent 4-way mobility, he covers so much ice simply by being on it that it's frustrating for an opposing offense to find passing and shooting lanes. And this is not even taking into account that it's nearly impossible to beat Power in a physical battle for pucks along the boards or in the crease.

So, we can bring all of these traditional arguments about defensemen and apply them to 2021. For instance, how do you rank a Corson Ceulemans against an Aleksi Heimosalmi at RD? Ceulemans absolutely destroys Heimosalmi in every physical category -- he's much bigger, faster, more physical, skates faster, shoots harder, you name it. But Heimosalmi's finest characteristics are more subtle -- he has an elite IQ and is a tremendous passer, his awareness plays up his very strong puck-handling and his decision making is outstanding. If I'm the Devils drafting at #21 and looking for a RD, I'd be very happy right now with either of these players. But if I'm the Devils drafting at #7 and Clarke is gone and I reach for one of them, I'm very unhappy -- there are just too many question marks with either player, and I vehemently do not believe in drafting a player with multiple "IFs" in the top 10.

Brandt Clarke is my top ranked RD for the entire 2021 draft, I have him at #2 overall. But he is not even a top 2 D in terms of athletic attributes at RD -- that would be Ceulemans and Scott Morrow -- a pair of very big, very fast kids with great shots. But the fact is that drafting the "bigger and faster player" over the "player who is better at hockey" has been the most oft-repeated mistake in the history of the NHL Draft. We saw it with Broberg in 2019, we saw it in 2018 with Filip Johansson over Rasmus Sandin, we saw it in 2017 with Lias Andersson at #7 overall, we saw it in 2016 with Jesse Puljujarvi over Matt Tkachuk -- we can go to literally every draft and see examples of how this philosophy failed, and we can just go ahead and call it "The Hugh Jessiman Rule".

It's a long post and I'll end it here, but I like my draft philosophy to be public knowledge more than trade secret, and I really analyze these things to an almost ridiculous degree.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Don't take it to mean he will bust out but there are legitimate concerns with these guys that should keep us patient and let draft fall to us not trade up and give up picks or assets thinking these guys are the next Hedman and so on....
His skating isn’t a concern. He’s a good skater. Nobody has said he’s the next Hedman.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'd currently rank Hedman as the #1 two-way defenseman on the Planet Earth. There's no shame in not being on such a high level. But I do feel that the trio of Clarke, Power and Hughes all have franchise defenseman-type upside.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Broberg was one of the biggest and fastest D in the 2019 draft, and he certainly had the best combination of the two -- though Byram plays faster and Seider plays bigger. But Broberg had several questions with his decision-making which were not asked nearly enough, possibly because of things I keep saying about how "hockey IQ" -- elusive as it is to quantify -- is often replaced with pre-conceived notions which are based entirely on bulls--t I can't even begin to fathom.

The 2018 draft had a defenseman I loved and ranked #10 overall (his highest rating) in K'Andre Miller -- who combined an elite size/skating combo with high-end smarts and compete level. Miller had only been switched back from F to D by the US Development system two years prior, and had a few issues with gap control and positioning. Yet, many draft analysts were still asking questions to the degree of "can he ever grasp the nuances of playing defense?" and ranking him as low as the early second round.

One year later, you had Broberg who played defense his entire life and had the same strengths and weaknesses as Miller, but did not pass as precisely or display the same level of decision-making. But Broberg was Swedish -- which is often seen as a big plus point in the hockey IQ column, as opposed to Miller, who faced an entirely different set of criteria in that respect which I don't even have the patience to get into. Broberg routinely had top 10 rankings, and the general consensus was "when he figures it out he will be a superstar defenseman" as opposed to the prevailing attitude with Miller of "can he figure it out?"

Skip to the 2020 draft. The Devils were routinely slammed in the media for the #20 overall pick of LD Shakir Mukhamadullin -- a huge, high-upside player who looked out of his league in the KHL at times and certainly struggled with the nuances of the position despite amazing passing and shooting capabilities. Again, Russians are not seen by several people as being high IQ/high effort hockey players -- something which has been subtly or overtly questioned by North American hockey TV analysts from Mike Milbury to Don Cherry to Pierre McGuire.

Cut to the 2021 WJC tournament. K'Andre Miller has already established himself as a terrific young defenseman at the NHL level -- he just enjoyed a great rookie season for the Rangers. Shakir Mukhamadullin was the best defenseman for a strong Team Russia, probably one of the top 5 D in the WJC tournament. Broberg was a devastating disappointment for a Team Sweden which did not medal largely due to a blueline which was completely caved in by high-level opposing forwards. Team Finland's late goal which knocked Sweden out of the medal round was at least partially resulting from an inexplicable series of misplays by Broberg.

Now, my point is not that Broberg is a "bad player". I think he'll likely be a pretty good bottom-4 defenseman for Edmonton -- he covers a lot of ice and if you misplay him on the transition, he's gone in a step. My point is also not that Miller and Mukhamadullin will win multiple Norris Trophies -- right now I'd say Miller will at the very least be a long-time, two-way mid-pairing player, while Mukhamadullin still has a ton of development before he sees the NHL. My point is that you had three players with similar skill sets and questions regarding the elusive "hockey IQ" and, instead of doing more research, many prospect evaluators -- even high-profile ones -- resorted to relying on stereotypes which are so inaccurate as to border on the bizarre.

The stereotypes of defensemen often begin and end with size. If Cam York were 6'3-205 instead of 5'11-170 on his draft day and everything else were exactly the same, we can bet he would have been a top 10 pick. The same could be said of Ville Heinola. This year, we have Sean Behrens and Aleksi Heimosalmi, either of whom would doubtlessly be fighting for the top 15 if they were even 6'1-185.

Now, certainly size is beneficial to a defenseman. Part of the reason why a team wants a 6'6' Owen Power is because, with his excellent 4-way mobility, he covers so much ice simply by being on it that it's frustrating for an opposing offense to find passing and shooting lanes. And this is not even taking into account that it's nearly impossible to beat Power in a physical battle for pucks along the boards or in the crease.

So, we can bring all of these traditional arguments about defensemen and apply them to 2021. For instance, how do you rank a Corson Ceulemans against an Aleksi Heimosalmi at RD? Ceulemans absolutely destroys Heimosalmi in every physical category -- he's much bigger, faster, more physical, skates faster, shoots harder, you name it. But Heimosalmi's finest characteristics are more subtle -- he has an elite IQ and is a tremendous passer, his awareness plays up his very strong puck-handling and his decision making is outstanding. If I'm the Devils drafting at #21 and looking for a RD, I'd be very happy right now with either of these players. But if I'm the Devils drafting at #7 and Clarke is gone and I reach for one of them, I'm very unhappy -- there are just too many question marks with either player, and I vehemently do not believe in drafting a player with multiple "IFs" in the top 10.

Brandt Clarke is my top ranked RD for the entire 2021 draft, I have him at #2 overall. But he is not even a top 2 D in terms of athletic attributes at RD -- that would be Ceulemans and Scott Morrow -- a pair of very big, very fast kids with great shots. But the fact is that drafting the "bigger and faster player" over the "player who is better at hockey" has been the most oft-repeated mistake in the history of the NHL Draft. We saw it with Broberg in 2019, we saw it in 2018 with Filip Johansson over Rasmus Sandin, we saw it in 2017 with Lias Andersson at #7 overall, we saw it in 2016 with Jesse Puljujarvi over Matt Tkachuk -- we can go to literally every draft and see examples of how this philosophy failed, and we can just go ahead and call it "The Hugh Jessiman Rule".

It's a long post and I'll end it here, but I like my draft philosophy to be public knowledge more than trade secret, and I really analyze these things to an almost ridiculous degree.
Ok just gonna say that Brobergs pure physical skillset is better than Miller and Mukhammadullin’s. I don’t think it’s close. He’s a far superior skater. They both move well for their size but Broberg is a very good for any size. He could be one of the best skating defencemen in the league when he arrives and that’s why his potential could be much higher if he figures the other parts of his game out. I like Miller more than Mukhammadullin as well.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ok just gonna say that Brobergs pure physical skillset is better than Miller and Mukhammadullin’s. I don’t think it’s close. He’s a far superior skater. They both move well for their size but Broberg is a very good for any size. He could be one of the best skating defencemen in the league when he arrives and that’s why his potential could be much higher if he figures the other parts of his game out. I like Miller more than Mukhammadullin as well.

My point was you had 3 big-bodied, high-upside D and two were questioned in terms of hockey IQ because of absurd stereotypes, while the one (Broberg) who needed to be questioned about hockey IQ was the one who was not questioned, also due to an absurd stereotype.

So, your assertion that Broberg was the best skillset physically -- which I absolutely agree with -- only furthers my point, because I feel he is the third best prospect out of these three players.

I feel we're on the same page here. In my opinion, these are all potentially 30-45 point players in their NHL primes, but Miller and Mukhamadullin look like they will be very good defensively and Broberg could always be a bit of a liability in that aspect of the game.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
My point was you had 3 big-bodied, high-upside D and two were questioned in terms of hockey IQ because of absurd stereotypes, while the one (Broberg) who needed to be questioned about hockey IQ was the one who was not questioned, also due to an absurd stereotype.

So, your assertion that Broberg was the best skillset physically -- which I absolutely agree with -- only furthers my point, because I feel he is the third best prospect out of these three players.

I feel we're on the same page here. In my opinion, these are all potentially 30-45 point players in their NHL primes, but Miller and Mukhamadullin look like they will be very good defensively and Broberg could always be a bit of a liability in that aspect of the game.
I haven’t watched him in bit but I’ve never really seen him as that much of a liability defensively as far as I can remember. I don’t think Mukhammadullin’s offensive potential or overall potential is as high as Brobergs and I would take Broberg over him all day. I would have Miller and Broberg close but probably rather have Miller just because of the success he had in his first season and he seems much safer at this point. He also has some offense to him and a rocket of a shot from the point.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
His skating isn’t a concern. He’s a good skater. Nobody has said he’s the next Hedman.

Yet many talk about having one of the big three or draft will be bad...My point is if we take BPA we can't go wrong....One we are loaded on the left side so Clarke would be better from need POV but that said stay patient make the pick at our pick don't move up is my point...If BPA is Clarke and he's there fine take him trust the pros.....I did like Ceulemans play he was very noticeable on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad